This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Borderline Personality Disorder
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a pattern of thoughts and behaviors that causes most areas of your life to be unstable. Your thoughts and behaviors seem normal to you, but not to others. You often make choices that are impulsive and risky without thinking about the outcome. Your moods, thoughts, and opinions change from one extreme to the other. Treatment can help you learn to control your symptoms and may help you recover from BPD.
WHILE YOU ARE HERE:
is a legal document that explains the tests, treatments, or procedures that you may need. Informed consent means you understand what will be done and can make decisions about what you want. You give your permission when you sign the consent form. You can have someone sign this form for you if you are not able to sign it. You have the right to understand your medical care in words you know. Before you sign the consent form, understand the risks and benefits of what will be done. Make sure all your questions are answered.
- Therapy helps you learn skills to control your moods and improve your relationships. You also learn how to replace negative thoughts and beliefs with positive ones. You might work alone with a therapist, or attend group therapy with others who have BPD.
- Medicines may be used to treat symptoms that occur with BPD:
- An antidepressant called an SSRI may be used to treat anxiety and depression.
- Mood stabilizers control mood swings and may decrease impulsive behavior.
- Antipsychotics help regulate thought and judgment, and may reduce anxiety, paranoia, and hostility.
You are at risk for poor quality of life, self-harm, and suicide.
CARE AGREEMENT:You have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your caregivers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment.
© 2018 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.