This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Acquired Cytomegalovirus, Ambulatory Care
- (CMV) is a virus that spreads through contact with body fluids, such as blood, saliva, urine, and tears. It affects both adults and children. Most healthy people do not have symptoms and recover without knowing they are infected.
- CMV can be spread for months to years after someone is infected. Over time, it can become dormant (inactive) and is less likely to spread. CMV may become active again when a person's immune system becomes weak, such as with an HIV infection or an organ or bone marrow transplant.
Possible symptoms include the following:
- Fevers for 3 or more weeks and increased fatigue
- Enlarged lymph glands or sore throat
- Blurred vision or headache
- Difficulty breathing, cough, or wheezing
- Pain in your abdomen, muscles, and joints
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Confusion or problems with speech or hearing
Seek immediate care for the following symptoms:
- Trouble waking up
- Trouble breathing
- Severe abdominal pain
Treatment for acquired CMV
may be antiviral medicine to help treat or prevent CMV infection. Or, your symptoms may go away without treatment.
Prevent the spread of acquired CMV:
Wash your hands often. Always wash your hands well after you use the toilet, diaper a child, and before you prepare or serve food. This will help prevent you from getting and spreading CMV.
Care AgreementYou have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your caregivers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment. The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
© 2016 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.