This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Abdominal Pain In Children, Ambulatory Care
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
is felt in the abdomen between the bottom of your child's rib cage and his groin. Acute pain lasts less than 3 months. Chronic pain lasts longer than 3 months.
Common symptoms include the following:
- Sharp or dull pain that stays in one place or moves around
- Pain that comes and goes
- Fever, diarrhea, or nausea and vomiting
- Crying because of the pain
- Get upset when touched or protect the painful area from touching anything
- Touch or rub his abdomen
Seek immediate care for the following symptoms:
- Pain that gets worse
- Blood in your child's vomit or bowel movement
- Unable to walk
- Pain that moves into the genital area
- Abdomen becomes swollen or very tender to the touch
- Trouble urinating
Treatment for abdominal pain
may include medicine to decrease your child's pain.
Care for your child:
- Take your child's temperature every 4 hours.
- Have your child rest until he feels better.
- Ask when your child can eat solid foods. You may be told not to feed your child solid foods for 24 hours.
- Give your child an oral rehydration solution (ORS). ORS is liquid that contains water, salts, and sugar to help prevent dehydration. Ask what kind of ORS to use and how much to give your child.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Care AgreementYou have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your caregivers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment. The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.