Generic Name: Ursodiol (ur soe DYE ol)
Brand Name: Actigall, Urso 250, Urso Forte
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 2, 2020.
Uses of Urso Forte:
- It is used to treat or prevent gallstones.
- It is used to treat a type of liver disease caused by bile duct problems in the liver (biliary cirrhosis).
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Urso Forte?
- If you have an allergy to ursodiol or any other part of Urso Forte (ursodiol).
- If you are allergic to Urso Forte (ursodiol); any part of Urso Forte (ursodiol); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have a biliary tract block.
- If you have a certain bile duct problem (cholangitis).
- If you have any of these health problems: Abnormal opening in the biliary and GI (gastrointestinal) tracts, pancreatitis, or swelling of the gallbladder (cholecystitis).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Urso Forte (ursodiol).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Urso Forte (ursodiol) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Urso Forte?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Urso Forte (ursodiol). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Urso Forte) best taken?
Use Urso Forte (ursodiol) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Some other drugs may need to be taken at some other time than Urso Forte (ursodiol). If you take other drugs, check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you need to take them at some other time than Urso Forte (ursodiol).
- Take with food.
- Some products may be broken in half. If you are not sure if you can break this product in half, talk with the doctor.
- If you break the tablet in half, use the other half of the tablet for the next dose, as told by the doctor. Throw away half-tablets not used within 28 days.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Signs of a urinary tract infection (UTI) like blood in the urine, burning or pain when passing urine, feeling the need to pass urine often or right away, fever, lower stomach pain, or pelvic pain.
What are some other side effects of Urso Forte?
- Back pain.
- Diarrhea or constipation.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach pain or heartburn.
- Muscle or joint pain.
- Signs of a common cold.
- Hair loss.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Urso Forte?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- If you break the tablet in half, store the half-tablets apart from the whole tablets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Urso Forte (ursodiol), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about Urso Forte (ursodiol)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: gallstone solubilizing agents
Other brands: Actigall