Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 3, 2020.
Uses of Survanta:
- It is used to treat or prevent lung distress in premature babies.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Survanta?
- If your child is allergic to Survanta (beractant solution); any part of Survanta (beractant solution); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell the doctor and pharmacist about all of your child's drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for your child to take Survanta (beractant solution) with all of his/her drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug your child takes without checking with the doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Survanta?
- Tell all of your child's health care providers that your child is taking Survanta (beractant solution). This includes your child's doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may raise the chance of a certain type of bad infection (sepsis). Talk with the doctor.
How is this medicine (Survanta) best taken?
Give Survanta (beractant solution) as ordered by your child's doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- This medicine is given into the lungs with a tube.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your child's doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your child's doctor or get medical help right away if your child has any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Trouble breathing.
- Slow heartbeat.
What are some other side effects of Survanta?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your child's doctor or get medical help if your child has any side effects that bother your child or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your child's doctor. Call your child's doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Survanta?
- If you need to store Survanta (beractant solution) at home, talk with your child's doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your child's symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your child's doctor.
- Do not share your child's drug with others and do not give anyone else's drug to your child.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about Survanta (beractant solution), please talk with your child's doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Survanta (beractant solution), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about Survanta (beractant)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: lung surfactants
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.