Nymalize oral solution
Generic Name: nimodipine (nye-MOE-di-peen)
Brand Name: Nymalize
Nymalize oral solution should only be taken by mouth. Life-threatening and sometimes fatal side effects may occur if Nymalize oral solution is administered by injection.
Nymalize oral solution is used for:
Reducing problems due to lack of oxygen caused by bleeding from a blood vessel in the brain. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Nymalize oral solution is a calcium channel blocking agent. Exactly how Nymalize oral solution works is unknown.
Do NOT use Nymalize oral solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nymalize oral solution
- you are taking clarithromycin, delavirdine, indinavir, itraconazole, ketoconazole, nefazodone, nelfinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir, telithromycin, or voriconazole
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Nymalize oral solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Nymalize oral solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver problems (eg, cirrhosis), heart problems (eg, slow heartbeat), low blood pressure, or fluid in your lungs, or if you have a history of heart attack
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nymalize oral solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Many prescription and nonprescription medicines (eg, used for acid reflux, anxiety, birth control, cancer, depression or other mental or mood problems, diabetes, erectile dysfunction, hepatitis C, high blood pressure, HIV, immune system suppression, infections, inflammation, irregular heartbeat or other heart problems, low blood sodium levels, nausea and vomiting, pulmonary hypertension, seizures, sleepiness), multivitamin products, or herbal or dietary supplements (eg, echinacea, St. John's wort) because they may interact with Nymalize oral solution. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure if any of your medicines might interact with Nymalize oral solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Nymalize oral solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Nymalize oral solution:
Use Nymalize oral solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Nymalize oral solution on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before a meal or 2 hours after a meal.
- Use the measuring device that comes with Nymalize oral solution to measure your dose. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice while taking Nymalize oral solution.
- Taking Nymalize oral solution at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to use Nymalize oral solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Nymalize oral solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Nymalize oral solution.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Nymalize oral solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Nymalize oral solution may cause dizziness or light-headedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Nymalize oral solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Nymalize oral solution may cause dizziness, light-headedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Your blood pressure and heart rate will need to be monitored while you use Nymalize oral solution. Be sure to keep all doctor and laboratory appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Nymalize oral solution while you are pregnant. It is unknown if Nymalize oral solution is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while you are using Nymalize oral solution.
Possible side effects of Nymalize oral solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; dizziness; headache; nausea.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fainting; severe or persistent dizziness; shortness of breath; slow or irregular heartbeat; sudden, unexplained weight gain; swelling of the feet, ankles, or hands.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Nymalize oral solution:
Store Nymalize oral solution at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Do not refrigerate. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Nymalize oral solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Nymalize oral solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nymalize oral solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Nymalize oral solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Nymalize oral solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Nymalize oral solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Nymalize oral solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Nymalize (nimodipine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: calcium channel blocking agents
Other brands: Nimotop