Marcaine Spinal solution
Generic Name: bupivacaine (bue-PIV-a-kane)
Brand Name: Examples include Marcaine Spinal and Sensorcaine-MPF Spinal
Marcaine Spinal solution is used for:
Inducing spinal anesthesia for certain medical or surgical procedures.
Marcaine Spinal solution is an anesthetic. It works by blocking the generation and conduction of nerve impulses.
Do NOT use Marcaine Spinal solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Marcaine Spinal solution or other similar medicines (eg, amide-type anesthetics, such as lidocaine)
- you have severe bleeding, severely low blood pressure or shock, irregular heartbeat, an infection in your bloodstream (eg, septicemia), or an infection at the injection site
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Marcaine Spinal solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Marcaine Spinal solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances, especially sulfites
- if you have heart disease, liver or kidney problems, nervous system problems, pernicious anemia, polio, syphilis, unusual growths (tumors) in the brain or spine, blood or bleeding problems, blood pressure problems, persistent backache, spine problems (eg, arthritis, deformity), a mental illness (eg, psychosis), or a headache right before the procedure
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Marcaine Spinal solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin, heparin), beta-blockers (eg, atenolol), or digoxin because the risk of side effects, such as abnormal heartbeat or bleeding, may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Marcaine Spinal solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Marcaine Spinal solution:
Use Marcaine Spinal solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Marcaine Spinal solution is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- If you miss a dose of Marcaine Spinal solution, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Marcaine Spinal solution.
Important safety information:
- Marcaine Spinal solution may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Marcaine Spinal solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- If you are going home before the numbness wears off, protect the treated area from injury until you regain feeling. If you received Marcaine Spinal solution for a dental procedure, do not chew gum or eat until the feeling comes back. Also be careful not to bite your tongue or the inside of your mouth.
- Some of these products contain sulfites. Sulfites may cause an allergic reaction in some patients (eg, asthma patients). If you have ever had an allergic reaction to sulfites, ask your pharmacist if your product has sulfites in it.
- Use Marcaine Spinal solution with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially low blood pressure.
- Marcaine Spinal solution is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Marcaine Spinal solution while you are pregnant. Marcaine Spinal solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while using Marcaine Spinal solution.
Possible side effects of Marcaine Spinal solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild dizziness or drowsiness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); anxiety; backache; blurred vision; changes in hearing; chest pain; confusion; depression; excitement; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever or chills; headache; inability to control bowels or urine; metallic taste; nausea; persistent numbness; paralysis; restlessness; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness, drowsiness, headache, or light-headedness; shivering; slow, fast, shallow, or difficult breathing; speech problems; tremors; trouble urinating; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org ), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include seizures; shortness of breath; slow heartbeat.Proper storage of Marcaine Spinal solution:
Marcaine Spinal solution is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Marcaine Spinal solution at home, store Marcaine Spinal solution as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Marcaine Spinal solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Marcaine Spinal solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Marcaine Spinal solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Marcaine Spinal solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Marcaine Spinal solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Marcaine Spinal solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Marcaine Spinal solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Marcaine Spinal (bupivacaine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating