Generic Name: granisetron (gra-NIS-e-tron)
Brand Name: Kytril
Kytril solution is used for:
Preventing nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy and radiation. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Kytril solution is a 5-HT3 receptor antagonist. It works by blocking a chemical called serotonin that can cause vomiting.
Do NOT use Kytril solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Kytril solution
- you are taking apomorphine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Kytril solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Kytril solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are allergic to other 5-HT3 receptor antagonists (eg, ondansetron)
- if you have heart problems (eg, irregular heartbeat, conduction problems), blood electrolyte problems (eg, low calcium, potassium or magnesium), an abnormal electrocardiogram (ECG), or you are receiving chemotherapy that may cause heart problems
- if you have stomach or bowel problems (eg, pain, swelling) or if you have recently had stomach surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Kytril solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Apomorphine because the risk of side effects, such as severely low blood pressure or loss of consciousness, may occur
- Medicines that may affect your heartbeat, such as antiarrhythmics (eg, flecainide, sotalol), azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), or quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), because heart rhythm problems may occur. Ask your doctor if you are unsure if any medicines that you take may affect your heartbeat
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Kytril solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Kytril solution:
Use Kytril solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Kytril solution by mouth with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Use Kytril solution only on the days that you receive your cancer treatment, unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Kytril solution, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Kytril solution.
Important safety information:
- Kytril solution may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Kytril solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Serotonin syndrome is a possibly fatal syndrome that can be caused by Kytril solution. Your risk may be greater if you take Kytril solution with certain other medicines (eg, certain medicines used to treat depression, pain, migraines). Symptoms may include agitation; confusion; hallucinations; coma; fever; fast or irregular heartbeat; tremor; excessive sweating; and nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. Contact your doctor at once if you have any of these symptoms.
- Use Kytril solution with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Kytril solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Kytril solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Kytril solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Agitation; anxiety; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; headache; indigestion; nausea; stomach pain; taste changes; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; unusual muscle movement.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Kytril solution:
Store Kytril solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Kytril solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Kytril solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Kytril solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Kytril solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Kytril solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Kytril solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Kytril solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Kytril (granisetron)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 2 Reviews – Add your own review/rating