Generic Name: influenza virus vaccine (IN-floo-EN-za)
Brand Name: Flublok
Flublok is used for:
Protecting against certain strains of influenza (flu).
Flublok is a vaccine. It works by stimulating the body to produce antibodies against certain types of the flu virus, which helps your body to fight the infection.
Do NOT use Flublok if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Flublok
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Flublok:
Some medical conditions may interact with Flublok. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a weak immune system
- if you have a history of Guillain-BarrÃ© syndrome or other nervous system problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Flublok. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Corticosteroids (eg, prednisone) or other medicines that may weaken the immune system because they may decrease Flublok's effectiveness. Ask your doctor if you are unsure if any of your medicines may weaken the immune system
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Flublok may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Flublok:
Use Flublok as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Flublok is given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- If you miss a dose of Flublok, call your doctor to find out what to do.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Flublok.
Important safety information:
- Flublok contains proteins from influenza viruses. It cannot cause you to develop the flu.
- Flublok is not a cure for the flu. It must be given before you are exposed to the flu in order to be effective.
- Flublok is only effective for 1 flu season. You will need to receive the flu vaccine each year.
- Flublok is not effective against all strains of the flu virus. It may also not protect everyone who receives it.
- Flublok does not protect against other respiratory infections.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Flublok while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Flublok, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Flublok:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Headache; nausea; pain at the injection site; muscle pain; tiredness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest or throat; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Flublok:
Flublok is handled and stored by a health care provider. Keep all medicines out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Flublok, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Flublok is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Flublok or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Flublok. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Flublok. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Flublok.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.