Generic Name: Rilpivirine (ril pi VIR een)
Brand Name: Edurant
Medically reviewed on September 5, 2018
Uses of Edurant:
- It is used to treat HIV infection.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Edurant?
For all patients taking Edurant (rilpivirine):
- If you have an allergy to rilpivirine or any other part of Edurant (rilpivirine).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Carbamazepine, delavirdine, dexamethasone, dexlansoprazole, efavirenz, esomeprazole, etravirine, lansoprazole, nevirapine, omeprazole, oxcarbazepine, pantoprazole, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rabeprazole, rifampin, rifapentine, or St. John's wort.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Edurant (rilpivirine).
- If your child is younger than 12 years of age. Do not give Edurant (rilpivirine) to a child younger than 12 years of age.
- If your child weighs less than 77 pounds (35 kilograms).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Edurant (rilpivirine).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Edurant (rilpivirine) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Edurant?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Edurant (rilpivirine). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine is not a cure for HIV. Stay under the care of your doctor.
- This medicine does not stop the spread of diseases like HIV or hepatitis that are passed through blood or having sex. Do not have any kind of sex without using a latex or polyurethane condom. Do not share needles or other things like toothbrushes or razors. Talk with your doctor.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Certain drugs or herbal products could cause Edurant (rilpivirine) to not work as well. Be sure your doctor and pharmacist know about all of your drugs.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Edurant (rilpivirine) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Edurant) best taken?
Use Edurant (rilpivirine) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take Edurant (rilpivirine) at the same time of day.
- Take with a meal.
- Do not use a protein drink in place of a meal.
- Keep taking Edurant (rilpivirine) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- It is important that you do not miss or skip a dose of Edurant (rilpivirine) during treatment.
- Do not take antacids within 2 hours before Edurant (rilpivirine) or 4 hours after Edurant (rilpivirine).
- Some other drugs may need to be taken at some other time than Edurant (rilpivirine). If you take other drugs, check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you need to take them at some other time than Edurant (rilpivirine).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it, with a meal.
- If it has been 12 hours or more since the missed dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you are not sure what to do if you miss a dose, call your doctor.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of low mood (depression), thoughts of killing yourself, nervousness, emotional ups and downs, thinking that is not normal, anxiety, or lack of interest in life.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Change in body fat.
- Changes in your immune system can happen when you start taking drugs to treat HIV. If you have an infection that you did not know you had, it may show up when you take Edurant (rilpivirine). Tell your doctor right away if you have any new signs after you start Edurant (rilpivirine), even after taking it for several months. This includes signs of infection like fever, sore throat, weakness, cough, or shortness of breath.
- Very bad skin and allergic reactions have happened with Edurant (rilpivirine). Skin reactions have happened along with fever or problems in body organs like the liver. Call your doctor right away if you have red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes; trouble swallowing; or signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Edurant?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Edurant?
- Store in the original container at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Edurant (rilpivirine), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Edurant (rilpivirine)
- Edurant Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: NNRTIs