Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 13, 2020.
Uses of Drisdol:
- It is used to treat poor parathyroid function.
- It is used to treat or prevent low phosphate levels.
- It is used to treat rickets.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Drisdol?
- If you have an allergy to ergocalciferol or any other part of Drisdol (ergocalciferol solution).
- If you are allergic to Drisdol (ergocalciferol solution); any part of Drisdol (ergocalciferol solution); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: High calcium levels, high vitamin D levels, or malabsorption syndrome.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Drisdol (ergocalciferol solution).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Drisdol (ergocalciferol solution) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Drisdol?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Drisdol (ergocalciferol solution). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you are allergic to tartrazine, talk with your doctor. Some products have tartrazine.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Too much vitamin D in the body may cause problems. Do not take more of Drisdol (ergocalciferol solution) than what your doctor told you to take. Be sure you know the signs of too much vitamin D in the body. If you have questions, talk with your doctor.
- If you are taking other sources of vitamin D, talk with your doctor.
- Follow the diet plan that your doctor told you about.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Drisdol (ergocalciferol solution) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Drisdol) best taken?
Use Drisdol (ergocalciferol solution) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Drisdol (ergocalciferol solution). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Drisdol (ergocalciferol solution).
- Keep taking Drisdol (ergocalciferol solution) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Drisdol?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Drisdol?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Drisdol (ergocalciferol solution), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Drisdol (ergocalciferol)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: vitamins
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.