Cadexomer Iodine Gel
Generic Name: Cadexomer Iodine Gel (ka DEX oh mer EYE oh din)
Brand Name: Iodosorb
Medically reviewed on Mar 11, 2019
Uses of Cadexomer Iodine Gel:
- It is used to clean wounds.
- It is used to promote healing of skin ulcers and wounds.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Cadexomer Iodine Gel?
- If you have an allergy to cadexomer iodine or any other part of cadexomer iodine gel.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have thyroid disease.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take cadexomer iodine gel if you are pregnant.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take cadexomer iodine gel.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take cadexomer iodine gel with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Cadexomer Iodine Gel?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take cadexomer iodine gel. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine does not work to clean dry wounds.
- The wound may look bigger during the first few days it is treated.
- Do not use cadexomer iodine gel for longer than 3 months without checking with your doctor.
How is this medicine (Cadexomer Iodine Gel) best taken?
Use cadexomer iodine gel as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Wash hands before and after use.
- Wear gloves to handle cadexomer iodine gel.
- Do not take cadexomer iodine gel by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Clean the affected area before use as you have been told. Do not dry the area all the way.
- Wash the affected area gently after the dressing is taken off.
- Put the drug on gauze, then place the gauze on the area.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad pain.
- Very bad swelling.
- Very bad skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of Cadexomer Iodine Gel?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Cadexomer Iodine Gel?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about cadexomer iodine gel, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.