The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: brompheniramine/dextromethorphan/phenylephrine (brome-fen-IR-a-meen/dex-troe-meth-OR-fan/fen-ill-EF-rin)
Brand Name: Neo DM
Bromatan-DM Suspension is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, and cough due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Bromatan-DM Suspension is a decongestant, antihistamine, and cough suppressant combination. It works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages, The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing while the cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough.
Do NOT use Bromatan-DM Suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Bromatan-DM Suspension
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or if you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Bromatan-DM Suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Bromatan-DM Suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); heart problems; high blood pressure; diabetes; heart blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma; a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or intestines; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; or an overactive thyroid
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Bromatan-DM Suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects of Bromatan-DM Suspension may be increased
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because side effects may be increased by Bromatan-DM Suspension
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because effectiveness may be decreased by Bromatan-DM Suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Bromatan-DM Suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Bromatan-DM Suspension:
Use Bromatan-DM Suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Bromatan-DM Suspension may be taken with or without food.
- Shake well before using.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Bromatan-DM Suspension, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Bromatan-DM Suspension.
Important safety information:
- Bromatan-DM Suspension may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Bromatan-DM Suspension. Using Bromatan-DM Suspension alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Bromatan-DM Suspension without checking with your doctor.
- Bromatan-DM Suspension contains brompheniramine, dextromethorphan, and phenylephrine. Before you begin taking any new prescription or nonprescription medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains brompheniramine, dextromethorphan, or phenylephrine. If it does or if you are uncertain, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT exceed the recommended dose or take Bromatan-DM Suspension for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 5 to 7 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Bromatan-DM Suspension may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Bromatan-DM Suspension. Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- Phenylketonuria patients - Bromatan-DM Suspension contains phenylalanine.
- If you are scheduled for allergy skin testing, do not take Bromatan-DM Suspension for several days before the test because it may decrease your response to the skin tests.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Bromatan-DM Suspension.
- Use Bromatan-DM Suspension with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Bromatan-DM Suspension in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Bromatan-DM Suspension, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Bromatan-DM Suspension during pregnancy. It is unknown if Bromatan-DM Suspension is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Bromatan-DM Suspension.
Possible side effects of Bromatan-DM Suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor; trouble sleeping; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Bromatan-DM Suspension:
Store Bromatan-DM Suspension at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Bromatan-DM Suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Bromatan-DM Suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Bromatan-DM Suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Bromatan-DM Suspension or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Bromatan-DM Suspension. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Bromatan-DM Suspension. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Bromatan-DM Suspension.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.