Generic Name: praziquantel (PRAZ-i-KWON-tel)
Brand Name: Biltricide
Biltricide is used for:
Treating certain worm infections (eg, schistosoma, liver flukes).
Biltricide is an anthelmintic agent. It works by killing sensitive worms.
Do NOT use Biltricide if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Biltricide
- you have certain worm infections of the eye (ocular cysticercosis)
- you are breast-feeding
- you are taking rifampin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Biltricide:
Some medical conditions may interact with Biltricide. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver, kidney, or heart problems, or worm infection of the brain (eg, cerebral cysticercosis)
- if you have a history of seizures (eg, epilepsy)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Biltricide. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Azole antifungals (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole), cimetidine, or erythromycin because they may increase the risk of Biltricide's side effects
- Anticonvulsants (eg, carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin), chloroquine, dexamethasone, or rifamycins (eg, rifampin) because they may decrease Biltricide's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Biltricide may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Biltricide:
Use Biltricide as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Biltricide with a full glass of water during meals.
- Do not crush or chew before swallowing.
- Take your doses at least 4 hours apart but not more than 6 hours apart unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Biltricide, take it as soon as possible. If it less than 4 hours until your next dose, contact your doctor to see if you need to establish a new dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Biltricide.
Important safety information:
- Biltricide may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Biltricide with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks on the day that you use Biltricide and on the following day.
- Use Biltricide with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Use Biltricide with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 4 years of age; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Biltricide while you are pregnant. Biltricide is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Biltricide and for 72 hours after you have stopped taking Biltricide.
Possible side effects of Biltricide:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; general feeling of being unwell; headache; nausea; stomach upset.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody diarrhea; fever; seizures; severe or persistent vomiting; slow or irregular heartbeat.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Biltricide:
Store Biltricide below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Biltricide out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Biltricide, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Biltricide is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Biltricide or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Biltricide. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Biltricide. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Biltricide.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Biltricide (praziquantel)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating