Tiagabine use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Tiagabine: Gabitril
Tiagabine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Monitor the infant for drowsiness, adequate weight gain, and developmental milestones, especially in younger, exclusively breastfed infants and when using combinations of anticonvulsant or psychotropic drugs. Because there is very limited published experience with tiagabine during breastfeeding, other agents may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
One mother breastfed her infant while taking tiagabine 24 mg and then 20 mg daily.
No adverse effects were reported in 10 newborns who were 4 to 23 days old who were breastfed during maternal intake of levetiracetam 1000 to 3000 mg daily. One mother was also taking tiagabine 30 mg daily, clobazam 45 mg daily and oxcarbazepine 600 mg daily.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
1. Neppe VM. Successful tiagabine monotherapy during pregnancy and lactation: clinical and serum data. Epilepsia. 2000;41 (Suppl 7):200-1. Abstract. DOI: doi:10.1111/j.1528-1157.2000.tb01727.x
2. Tomson T, Palm R, Kallen K et al. Pharmacokinetics of levetiracetam during pregnancy, delivery, in the neonatal period, and lactation. Epilepsia. 2007;48:1111-6. PMID: 17381438
CAS Registry Number
Neurotransmitter Uptake Inhibitors
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about tiagabine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 4 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: gamma-aminobutyric acid reuptake inhibitors
Other brands: Gabitril