Busulfan use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Busulfan: Myleran, Busulfex
Busulfan Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Most sources consider breastfeeding to be contraindicated during maternal antineoplastic drug therapy. It might be possible to breastfeed safely during intermittent therapy with an appropriate period of breastfeeding abstinence. Although minimal data are available to determine an appropriate period to withhold breastfeeding, the drug's terminal half-live of 2.5 hours suggests that withholding breastfeeding for at least 24 hours may be sufficient. Chemotherapy may adversely affect the normal microbiome and chemical makeup of breastmilk.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Busulfan in a dosage of 4 mg/day for 5 weeks was taken for myeloid leukemia by one woman while breastfeeding. Weekly monitoring found no adverse effects on her infant's leukocyte count or hemoglobin.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
1. Pistilli B, Bellettini G, Giovannetti E et al. Chemotherapy, targeted agents, antiemetics and growth-factors in human milk: How should we counsel cancer patients about breastfeeding? Cancer Treat Rev. 2013;39:207-11. PMID: 23199900
2. Urbaniak C, McMillan A, Angelini M et al. Effect of chemotherapy on the microbiota and metabolome of human milk, a case report. Microbiome. 2014;2 :24. PMID: 25061513
3. Bounameaux Y, Durenne JM. [A case of leukemia in a lactating female: effect of treatment with busulfan on the infant]. Ann Soc Belge Med Trop. 1964;44:381-3. PMID: 14259241
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about busulfan
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 2 Reviews – Add your own review/rating