Does Xarelto cause hair loss?

Marvell 22 Jun 2013

Hair loss is not a known side effect of Xarelto, however it may be a side effect and just hasn't been reported yet. Please let your doctor know.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/xarelto-side-effects.html

Wanda6293 12 Apr 2014

Just as I suspect red I have been off the xarelto and my hair has quit falling out
Wanda Henderson

Asigner4u2 31 Jul 2014

I have been taking Xarelto also, and experiencing hair loss for the past two months.

maidadr 25 Aug 2013

I use xarelto and am also experiencing hair loss. I was looking for any helpful information on how to help this.

Frances55 16 Sep 2013

I started on xarelto this past July, I had long thick hair. This is the only new medicine I am taking. I have had tremendous hair loss,handfuls each time I comb or brush my hair. I am getting deeply concerned since I still threw emboli on lovenox and Coumadin. I am going to send email and/call drug company this week.

maidadr 16 Sep 2013

Francis55. Did you find any information. All I get are shoulder shrugs from my Dr.

Frances55 6 Oct 2013

I contacted the Jansen drug company at 1-800-526-7736 and reported SEVERE hair loss with Xarelto. I was told this is not a KNOWN side effect ,but I do NOT believe them. The rep was nice and only there to take my report and pass it on. She did encourage ALL who experience CALLshrugged the 1-800-526-7736 report this hair loss. PLEASE call this company. My doctor just shrugged, but I have decided to demand my doc put me back on Lovenox ( injection 100mg daily) to try to stop this loss before I have none lefT!!! Debby

Ami75146 27 Jan 2014

I have been on Xarelto since Dec 2013. I had THICK hair and have notice that my pony tail is really thin now. I have tons of hair loss in the brush, car, my chair and bath tub. I was looking up this side effect when I came to the above comments.

matzabear 5 Feb 2014

I have been on Xarelto since Oct. 2013 since I had a hip ball replacement. I have experienced hair loss that has never occurred before. I have a thick head of hair and have discontinued the use of Xarelto because I fear it will be permanent. (Both my now deceased parents used Coumadin and experienced severe hair loss that was permanent). I have reported this side effect to the 800 number provided in another comment for my experience with Xarelto. I encourage others to do so and see if it's included in their possible side effects. I doubt these handful are the only ones.

Wanda6293 20 Feb 2014

I have recently had a hip replacement and was put on xarelto for a month after surgery during this time I have had a lot of hair loss every time I combed my hair I'd get a handful. I finished the medication yesterday but it just dawned on me the other day maybe the xarelto was causing it as that is the only new medication/change after reading these post I'm sure the xarelto caused it I am going to call the 800 number and report as a side effect

Wanda6293 20 Feb 2014

I called and made a report I finished the medication yesterday so if my hair loss stops (give it a little bit to get out of my system). I will know for sure it was the xarelto that caused it

ladeekatt 11 Apr 2014

My daughter began taking Xarelto about 4-5 weeks ago. She is only 21, and has been experiencing rapid hair loss! She has been on Lovenox, and Coumadin before that, after being diagnosed with multiple blood clots in her lungs. Her hematologist refuses to believe it's the medicine causing the hair loss! She's also exhausted all of the time. His response was to ship her off to a dermatologist, who can't even see her until October!! I'll have her also call the 800 number to get hair loss listed as a significant side effect of the drug. Thanks to everyone who took the time to stand and be heard!

Millie1945 22 Apr 2014

I have been on Xarelto since January 2014 for blot clot in my lungs and and legs. I have been losing my hair use to have a thick hair and now it's really thin. I also notice really dry skin around my face.

Truett829 4 Jan 2015

I am 21 and have a very similar history to your daughter. I am now on xarelto and have began experiencing hair loss. Is she still on the medication?

blackdogs 27 May 2014

I had a pulmonary embolism in mid March 2014, (a blood clot in my lung), and was put on Xarelto for the immediate future (4 to 6 months). Within three weeks or so of taking it (the only medication I am on), my hair started falling out! And when I say falling out, I mean like I am taking CHEMO falling out! I can't run my fingers through my long thick blonde hair w/o having a fist full of hair in my hand. Showers are awful! Hair falls out and clogs the drain ten fold compared to before the Xarelto, and when I brush my hair, OMG, I think I'm going bald! The only difference in my life is this medication, so I found your question while searching the internet for others possibly having the same problem. Well there we have it, many of us have this side affect and it is NOT listed. My Doctor said she did not know of hair loss as side affect from Xarelto. I called her two weeks ago asking. So...

Brhereford 23 Oct 2016

I too have been having hair loss to the point that about to shave my head bald. The added kick for me is I too take Xarelto, but I was also on omeprazole; taken off by bone specialist. Both meds for me has added insult to injury. What is the 800 number I can call to report?

GrandDame1 19 Jun 2014

I have been on Xarelto for 4 months and lately my hair has been falling out a lot. It also covers the drain as was mentioned below. My hair is also brittle feeling. I am going to ask my hemotologist when I see him next time. Do all blood thinning medicines cause this?

elmoudane 25 Jun 2014

I too have been having extreme hair loss. I racked my brain trying to figure out what was causing it. My doctor ran blood test checking for anemia and thyroid, but all my test came back negative. I bought shampoo for damaged hair thinking it was breakage. My mother talked me into fish oil... ugh! I stopped using the blow dryer, curling iron, and hair straighteners.I stopped coloring my hair. I might as well be bald cuz my hair looks like crap..whats left of it. I have was just about to shop for a wig or take classes on how to apply make up like a movie star (I might as well have a pretty face if I'm going to be bald), when I decided to put my self pity aside and THINK! Then it hit me, Xarelto. I've been on it about 2 months and that is when I noticed my hair falling out. Seriously, I'm wearing a hair net when I cook.

blackdogs 25 Jun 2014

I hear you on the hair net when you cook thing! My hair falls out so continuously that my poor husband and kids have found hair in our food before I realized that I had to take precautions while cooking! OMG! so up in a hat my hair goes and my husband checks my clothing before I start cooking to make sure no loose strands are on my back or shoulders that I cannot see. How gross and aweful! The FDA needs to IMMEDIATELY add hair loss as a side effect to this medicine. I'm almost ready for a wig too or a beanie hat to hide the bald/thinning spots!

CathieRH 25 Jun 2014

I'm taking Xarelto after having PEs in both lungs. It took a couple of months but I too began experiencing above normal hair loss. I talked to my doctor about it and he has also said that it is not listed as a side effect, but it doesn't mean that it's not the cause. I told him that it's actually more my hope that Xarelto is the cause of the hair loss because if it's not, then it could be something worse causing it. Theoretically, I'll only be on it temporarily and I think the benefits far outweigh this side effect. I'm not sure how I'd feel if I was going to be on it forever though. It does make me feel better to hear that others are experiencing this side effect. At some point maybe it will be recognized as an actual side effect. I think that's part of what causes the anxiety -- you have this side effect and the professionals tell you they don't know why. Very frustrating.

jenbee 30 Jun 2014

I just switched over from Fragmin which I had some hair loss but now on Xarelto which I will be on for life as there is no know reason for the multiple clots I was diagnosed with last year. I've been tested for everything and gone through every test out there poked and prodded still found nothing which is bitter sweet. I'll be calling the Jansen 1-800 number tomorrow to report the severe hair lose. Its a relatively new drug so not all side effects are known. Not looking forward to being bald but if bald or dead are the choices then I will have fun with wigs.

janytsie22 11 Nov 2014

I am wiring on behalf of my mom who is also on xarelto after a back fusion surgery, where she developed a blood clot! My mom had extremely thick hair, and since her use of this blood thinner in September 2014, her hair is falling out! Her pony tail is super thin! What's worst no one believes her! This medicine should be pulled off the market!

ladeekatt 12 Nov 2014

I understand your frustration. I watched my daughter go through the same thing. She had PE's in both lungs, and the ONLY thing that had changed when she started loosing hair was this medicine. Her pulmonary doctor still says it "can't be the Xarelto", because it's not listed as a side effect. It will be soon! Call the 800 number and report it! The more people who do, the more our claim will be substantiated! I agree if it comes down to a bald daughter or a dead one, I'll take her bald every time, but it plays havoc with her self esteem.

constanceaz 9 May 2015

I started taking Xarelto in November 2014 and have had tremendous hair loss since then. I'm 75 and all the doctors tell me is that it is age related. I don't think it is a coincidence that the hair loss started after taking the Xarelto. It is a massive loss.

colxade 26 Aug 2016

After I began taking Xarelto my wife soon detected significant hair loss and strongly advised me to discontinue the medication. At 65+ I had a thick head of hair which I was beginning to lose fairly rapidly. When I took my wife's advice, the hair loss stopped. My head of hair has recovered. "Thank god," she said today, "that you still have your hair." I thought I'd check the internet to see if I could find out a correlation between Xarelto and hair loss (I was well aware that there has been no reported association--but you can guess why). This website has confirmed my wife's diagnosis. Good for her.

mfluke50 19 Oct 2016

I started Xarelto in the hospital in June2016 . I have always had thick hair. Now it is falling out and even my hairdresser is concerned. The Xarelto is the only new medication I have been taking.