I have been taking prednisone for three days and have the hiccups. should I call my Dr?

kaismama 3 Sep 2012

I have never heard of prednisone causing the hiccups, but I guess anything is possible. If you are in the united states I doubt you'll get your dr today, but I would call and let them know if they continue until tomorrow.

endlessPred 3 Sep 2012

I agree that if it lasts over 48 hours, according to my health handbook, and that is with little break, that you should see the doctor.

This is not a known effect of prednisone. Perhaps it is of the condition you are being treated?

jvernice 11 Nov 2016

Yes, intractable hiccups is a known side effect of all corticosteroids. It is not a common side effect, but it is well established in the literature.

balbanese 3 Sep 2012

Yes. I had these for 9 days straight and wound up in the ER. It's worth telling your Dr about this, the two may be unrelated. Hope this helps.

Joe2000 14 Jun 2013

My father start taper a prednisone tablet his diabetic and have eye surgery complication and he started having hiccups. It's hard to see him like that. I tried to let him sip a cold water sometimes it work and it would calm down the hiccups but it will come back later on.

micahgaudio 23 Jul 2015

I have had hiccups for three days now and have isolated that is from taking the prednisone. Very intense and no rhyme or reason every 5 seconds comes and goes.

coulterpm 3 Aug 2016

I am into my third day of a Prednisolone pack and am experiencing severe hiccups. They seem to alternate on the hour. It is very annoying as I am having trouble sleeping at night.