I stood outside with her for a few minutes & it was dark of course. Well the next morning I was getting dressed & noticed a small "slug" on my lower calf! I know, YUK! When I went to take it off it was attached like a leach! We have lots of slugs & will be treating the yard soon for insect control (at least now we will!) I have had leaches as a kid wading in small brooks & such, but never heard of a slug attaching itself. I went to the rheumatologist yesterday, but he kept me so darn busy answering my life history from age of 7, I totally forgot to ask him about it. This has been about 5 days ago, & I still have a small red spot with a hard little lump about the size of a misquito bite. Does anyone know if they carry any typd of disease especially? I don't know a thing about them other than they are slimy! Eewwweeee! Freaked me out when I found it atached & had been there all night apparently. thanks... Mary
This is what I found for you on the net, hope it helps you, take care, best wishes!
The great majority of slug species are harmless to humans and to their interests, but a small number of species are serious pests of agriculture and horticulture. They can destroy foliage faster than plants can grow, thus killing even fairly large plants. They also feed on fruits and vegetables prior to harvest, making holes in the crop, which can make individual items unsuitable to sell for aesthetic reasons, and which can make the crop more vulnerable to rot and disease.
As control measures, baits are the norm in both agriculture and the garden. In recent years iron phosphate baits have emerged and are preferred over the toxic metaldehyde, especially because domestic or wild animals may be exposed to the bait. The environmentally safer iron phosphate has been shown to be at least as effective as poisonous baits. Methiocarb baits are no longer widely used.
Other slug control methods are generally ineffective, but can be somewhat useful in small gardens. These include beer traps, diatomaceous earth, crushed eggshells, coffee grounds, and copper.
It is of scientific interest that salt kills slugs by causing water to leave its body owing to osmosis but this is not used for agricultural control as soil salinity is detrimental to crops.
In a few rare cases, humans have contracted parasite-induced meningitis from eating raw slugs.
In rural southern Italy, the garden slug Arion hortensis was used to treat gastritis, stomach ulcers or peptic ulcers by swallowing it whole and alive. Given that it is now known that most peptic ulcers are caused by Helicobacter pylori, the merit of swallowing a live slug is questionable. A clear mucus produced by the slug is also used to treat various skin conditions including dermatitis, warts, inflammations, calluses, acne and wounds.
Well they are definitely not in the same category as TICKS Mary, which DO carry Lyme disease; so I wouldn't worry on that score. But the fact that you have a little red area with a head on it does suggest the critter caused some sort of inflammation; or it's slime gave off some kind of a toxin, doesn't it? I don't think I'd worry unduly about this, as the area you are describing isn't huge. Just keep an eye on the area for a few more days, to make sure it doesn't get any larger, or become sore. I apparently was bitten by a spider a few years back, and IT'S toxin caused my eye to swell up and close for a day. So I'm imagining that with bugs, the most that CAN happen is that you'll suffer some kind of a temporary reaction to their toxins... along the same lines as your having an allergic reaction. So just keep an eye on it. Kathleen
hi mary,dont stress.what a leach does is when it attaches itself to you it locks its mouth to the area pushes in a kinda non blood cloting agent so your blood can be sucked by it without your bodies cloting factor making it harder.just rub some alcohol on the site and slap a bandaid on it.change it daily and your be fine,promise. remember when leaches were used to suck out infection ? you will be fine.dont spray chemicals on your lawn keep the grass cut low the sun will keep them away.subzero58
Poor Mary!! Only this would happen to you! I would still tell a doc or wait to see if dzoobaby thinks you should go to the doc. I hope the bump has gone down.
I'd give it some air after putting alcohol on it-no bandaid. Sometimes lack of fresh air- a bandaid-makes a wound to get worse. We don't know what chemicals the slug has, so I wouldn't put anything on that would raise themp. When people were dying from the Brown Recluse spider in the South, a spider bit me right on the end of the nose. To me the worst part was wondering how to put a tournquit on a nose-which was what doctors told people to do.
Yeah, probably a leach. If it was fat as a slug it was filled with blood. We used to take them off with a cigarette in Viet Nam. If the bite is down to mosquito sized and not bright red with a center like a pimple it;s probably OK. Leaches generally don't transmit disease though it is possible specifically if it has bitten something else and didn't get enough blood. Generally, just keep it clean, warm water and soap, gently. Maybe a drop of hydrocortisone cream in its early stage. Keep an eye on it and if it changes into something bright red with an expanding circle, perhaps hot to the touch, see a doc. Don;t worry, I probably pulled off a hundred in Southest Asia, no problems. Oh, and if leaches carried genetic diseases, they wouldn;t be used medicinally as they have for a few thousand years. And, they're FDA approved.lol
Hey Mar, I don't want to scare you, but being from the south, it really sounds like a tic. They get QUITE LARGE after they have been (sorry) sucking your blood all night. was it hard to remove? If it was a tick, then you have left the head in. yes people do put matches to them, but before the body comes out. Alcohol would probably shrivel up the head, but watch the spot! If you get a bullseye rash, RUN to the doctor and get treated for Lyme's disease IMMEDIATELY.
I really hope that it was not a tic, but you can never be too safe. Especially people in our condition.
If it was a soft slug like body, it probably was a type of leech. Did you pull it off? It is possible that part could be still inside. If it ever happens again, shake salt into your palm and hold that salt directly over the leech and the salt will make it pull out on its own, lessening the danger of it leaving anything inside you! I'm not sure if putting salt on the ground will be enough to kill them though. Rajives article mentioned coffee grounds. That might be a better option and safer for your plants and things, as salt is not good for your plants AND you might want to consult a pest company. It might actually be a good thing that you shaved part of the scab off! It there were mouth or head parts still in the wound then perhaps that was enough to get them out.
If the area doesnt clear up pretty quickly or of course, if you notice a red streak coming up the leg from it, or any purulent drainage and redness/heat around it, see the Dr asap! If you are seeing any of your Drs in the next day or two, I'd be sure to mention it anyway, just to be safe, but I dont know that you need an appt just for that unless it starts looking infected. You dont want to put alcohol or peroxide on the wound because those solutions can damage the newly formed healing cells and keep the wound from healing properly. Just wash the area with soap and water and gently pat dry. You can apply a tiny bit of Neosporin (if you arent allergic) or some other antibiotic cream or ointment that you like and you can cover it with a band aid loosely to keep it clean. Wounds should actually be kept moist for the best healing. When I worked at a chronic wound healing center they always taught us to keep wounds moist. You can get a wound gel (wound gel is just a clear gel that doesnt have any antibiotic or anything, it is just to keep wounds from drying out) at the pharmacy, if you want, instead of neosporin or the like, but for this, it is probably too small to need it. I tell you Mary! Your luck for weird things happening are about as good as mine! lol Just keep a close eye on it and stay out of the grass! lol
Hi Hun, as you've got such a good response already, I just wanted to add something for the benefit of your pooch. If eaten, slugs can cause worms, & most importantly heart worms, which a lot of wormers do not treat, so invest in a good one, such as Milbemax : )
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.