In 2006 at 25 years old I was diagnosed with GERD, at which time I had an upper GI which revealed that I had an "inflamed esophagus". After taking numerous medications, and months of hardly eating, my doctor decided that I had an anxiety disorder which caused me to have reflux issues. I do not know what reflux medicines I took at the time, but after months of different medications I was put on Lexapro 10mg. for the anxiety, and I slowly went back to myself...

Now fast-forward to 2010, I decided to take myself off of my anxiety medication (the Lexapro, the only med that I was taking at the time). After 4 months off the Lexapro my anxiety came back with a vengeance, which then led to me getting all the same symptoms and the reflux and GERD back.

I had tightening of the chest, behind the breast bone, excessive belching (very loudly), excessive gas, nausea, the feeling of emptiness in my stomach, other times a feeling of too-fullness with a small meal. I've tried to get relief from Tums but they leave my stomach feeling like a giant air bubble. I've tried eating small amounts of food to keep the acid down. I've tried limited diet, but everything from water to rice upset my stomach..

So in late December I began taking over the counter Prilosec every morning, which did not help. I went to the doctor, Jan 15th and he said to take one Prilosec in the morning and another one at night.

After suffering two weeks I went back to the doctor.. I was then put on Protonix 40mg. once daily. I have taken the Protonix in the morning, generally 1 hour before eating for almost one month. It seemed to be helping, however within the last three days my symptoms have all been coming back. I've had no change in diet, or activity level.. I don't understand why the symptoms are suddenly resurfacing after seemingly diminishing for several weeks?? I have all day nausea, without vomiting. I have the feeling that there is a 'lump' in my throat, I have belching, gas, and it never seems to matter if I eat a little, a lot, or nothing at all... For three days now. From the moment I get up in the morning, until I go to bed I have had these symptoms.

I also take Effexor XR 37.5mg daily for my anxiety (which I'm not sure if it is working properly).. I take this with my breakfast, 1 hour after taking the Protonix - this is the only thing I can think of that has changed recently... I used to take it with my lunch around noon. In addition I have the B/C Sprintec, a multi-vitamin, a vitamin C supplement, a vit. B-12 supplement, and a pro-biotic "Pearl". All taken at breakfast, about 1 hour after the Protonix..

Any suggestions are welcome, I am just baffled that something that seemed like it was going away is now suddenly re-surfacing..