Is keflex in the same family as cipro?

DzooBaby 17 Apr 2014

No. Keflex is a cephalosporin and Cipro is a fluoroquinalone

Malindalang 17 Apr 2014

Found this for you... I was told by Dr. that they are in the same class and to not take them... yes--it is a Cet. but they have similar actions ect.
Abstract

DzooBaby 18 Apr 2014

Cephalosporins and fluoroquinalones are different classes. Here is an answer from a Dr to a person asking about other antibiotics when sensitive to keflex:

Antibiotics are in a number of chemical classes. With a severe reaction to keflex (also called cefazolin), you should avoid antibiotics in the cephalosporin and probably the penicillin class, as there is a higher chance of cross reactivity. Typically, we will give antibiotics in a different chemical class rather than testing. For you, examples may be clindamycin, ciprofloxacin or vancomycin.

So he is saying he would give cipro!

DzooBaby 18 Apr 2014

Here is another answer from a different Dr about cross allergies:
Keflex (cephalexin) is a member of cephalosporin family of antibiotics which are cousins to penicillins. Be sure to tell your doctors about your all your (drug) allergies, especially types of reactions. We're most concerned about anaphylaxis. In the future, if necessary & appropriate, you can take unrelated sulfa, mycins & quinolone type antibiotics. (cipro is a quinalone)

DzooBaby 18 Apr 2014

Another example:
Options for True Penicillin
Allergy Patients
• 2nd or 3rd generation cephalosporin
• Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim (Bactrim or
Septra)
• A fluoroquinolone (Levofloxacin)
• Doxycycline
• Erythromycin

Besides the poster asked nothing about allergies, she asked about classes and these medications are CLASSED differently! Keflex is a cephalosporin and Cipro is a fluoroquinolone-two different classes!

Worried man 26 Dec 2016

I was given cipro for three months, but stopped because I have never taken any antibiotic for more than a month. I did not know this was the same class of drugs as Keflex.
I have had chronic sinusitis my whole life and I took so much Keflex during my grade school years that Keflex stopped working for me and I have never told my Dr because it never came up. I was taking it for sinus infections when I was a kid.
I stopped the cipro after six weeks and now four weeks later I am having trouble peeing again.
I was taking it for prostatitus. I don't have low T, but I have low libido and its difficult to keep my prostate healthy when I have little desire. Knowing this is the same class as Keflex may give my Dr ideas about what to do next. My blood work came back fine. I am age 46.
Tomorrow I will call him and tell him what is going on before I try taking the last refill plus a half bottle I have left. Thanks this was a helpful question.

Worried man 26 Dec 2016

I could not reach my Dr for advice so I called the Pharmacy and he told me that its OK to take Cipro for 3 months so I resumed my medication, when this last half bottle is gone and the next refill is gone I need to tell him the mistake I made, it seems that I followed directions on the bottle take two twice a day for four weeks this is why I was confused about the refills. I had taken two twice a day for six weeks instead of the four weeks indicated on the bottle.
Folks, this goes to show, if you are ever unsure about something always ask. I have had no side efx from it other than ringing in the ears at times. I was not even aware of my prostate until it was first infected and the urologist told me to keep it healthy keep it empty, but since I have low libido its not as easy as it seems. They suggest you "empty" it 21 times a month!!! I don't know how I can keep pace with this when I have very little desire.