Is albuterol indicated for pneumonia?

suzanne66 30 May 2011

Pneumonia is a respiratory condition in which there is infection of the lung.

Bronchodilator treatments such as albuterol may or may not be required depending on your symptoms.

See the link below for more information.

radvany 26 Jun 2011

I am amazed to find no evidence that supports the routine use of albuterol for pneumonia without additional pre-existing pulmonary problems. Investigating this question I was only able to find a protocol in the cochrane database from September 2010 that suggests this question is being investigated.

tmgal 17 Dec 2017

This is from the Respiratory Cave website. Just ask a Respiratory Care practitioner. They know.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Does albuterol treat pneumonia?

Many times in the hospital setting physicians order scheduled albuterol breathing treatments for patients admitted with pneumonia. The question of the day is: does ventolin have any effect on pneumonia?

First of all, what is pneumonia? Pneumonia is an inflammatory disease of the peripheral airways, particularly the alveolar (air) sacs. The air sacs may become filled with fluid or pus, causing symptoms such as cough with colorful phlegm, fever, chills, and dyspnea.

So, what is the evidence that albuterol benefits pneumonia? So far I have not been able to find any studies in this regard. I am told there was a study done in the late 1980s, and the results were inconclusive.

Lacking studies, let's investigate the available wisdom. free discount card