What is the highest dose of Adderall that is prescribed it to an adult?

Mackintosh 3 Oct 2015

The highest therapeutic dose is normally reserved for adults with Narcolepsy and that dose tops out at 80 mg./day total for the immediate-release formula, I believe. However, from what I understand, it is not common to Rx that high of a dose.
For ADHD in adults, the highest dose is 60 mg./day total.

hlzimmerman 14 Oct 2015

Anywhere from 90-120mg a day. Verified answer from a legit Dr in PA, the strictest state around.

Chaz45 29 Nov 2015

Dear hizimmerman,

I need to know the name and address/phone# for this doctor for his services or, more likely, a reference to some doctor in Michigan who will prescribe more than 80mg/Day of Adderall-IR to an individual who is 62 years old, 5"10" tall, 215 lbs who shows a predominent presence of "mixed" ADD/ADHD of a very pronounced/serious nature. This person is now, and for the last 15 years, on Social Security Disability due to Mental Illness (unspecified). Very brief part of a long and complex period of a mental affliction for which I have nearly given up hope.

Regards,
Chuck Clark
(734) 564-4285

Chaz45 29 Nov 2015

Dear hizimmerman,

Regards,
Chuck Clark
(734) 564-4285

Jkdimsdale 15 Oct 2015

60 mg/ daily is the max dose, unless, as answered above, narcolepsy is only diagnosis allowed to max out at 80mgs daily. Most drs, especially the ones I've been to and/heard about 2nd hand won't start you at higher than 10/day and gradually increase doses over time. I have been on adderall most of my adult life, & EVERYTIME I've had to switch drs for whatever reason, they all make you start at lowest possible clinical dosage and if you,after several months, need more to get the desired therapeutic effect, will only up to 20s... I had to basically beg mine to give me 30/ twice daily, only after he was able to verify from past medical records that I, indeed, had been on that dosage for years.

Anonymous 3 Dec 2015

Personally, I've known patients on up to 270mg per day. That's 9 of the 30 mg tabs. There really is no max dosage. It's an individual basis.

Efloyd7 7 May 2017

I see that this answer was from two years ago. Do you really know people on 270mg?

billieboy2203 29 Jan 2016

60 mg.

brooklynct2003 21 Dec 2016

I am a patient on Adderall for adult ADD and off-label for depression since 2007. I've accidentally dosed up to 150 mg with no ill effects, except the jitters and a little manic behavior.

jb548 29 Jul 2017

Well since it is entirely possible to go years before finding out something caused you significant damage; that really isn't a good indication that it is okay. Most of the time it will come when older and if was damaged becomes the weak link that breaks.

chuck1957 22 Dec 2016

IT'S BEST TO POST YOUR QUESTION BY IT'S SELF NOT ON SOMETHING THAT IS A YEAR OR YEAR AND 1/2 BACK the answers don't always go out please repost you question. to bring it up to date. Or call your doctor. Chuck1957 to whom it may concern.

CoopDiggety 21 Feb 2017

After just leaving my extremely Pro-Active "concierge" doctor of 5 years- and reading through his medical prescription "dictionary" with him in an effort to find the answer to this question - In Maryland - the highest maximum dose is 40 mg for IR and 30 mg for XR.

We did not see a difference in quantity regardless of reason (i.e. Narcolepsy, ADD, etc.). In fact - the book stated that 20 mg of XR was max dose for adults.

If anyone can advise any different in Maryland - please advise.

Donovancdaley 1 May 2017

I'm not sure about Maryland, but I was diagnosed with ADHD about four months ago in Tennessee. My Dr. started me on 10mg of Adderall IR 2x a day then increased to 30mg of Adderall IR 3x a day (90mg total) over the last couple of months. She actually said that she has other adult patients on an even higher dose. I think it just depends on the doctor. I know my doctor suffers from ADHD herself, so I feel she has compaction and first hand knowledge of what it's like to live with it.

Dean-x 12 Sep 2017

So I was diagnosed as a child with ADHD but my family refused treatment and explained it as me being smarter than others. This year (so nearly 20 years later) I saw a nuerologist for a different matter and brought up the possible ADHD. After a few minutes he said adderall would help and started me at 30mg of xr. After 2 months it was increased to 40mg of xr and now a new doctor wants to add an ir in addition to it. I really don't think their is a max. My likely new treatment will be around 70mg a day with almost half being "as needed" I will update after increase if anyone is interested. Having a doctor who understands that the xr does not last 12 hours or even close to that is a huge help in getting proper treatment.

Islandgirlmakamae 11 days ago

I reside in Hawaii, am an adult/adult dose and have been on this medication for many yrs. My dr told me I'm on the highest prescribing dose avail., which is 30mg. x 2 a day (I get 60 pills a mo.). Hope this answer helps... aloha