What is the highest dose of Adderall that is prescribed it to an adult?

Mackintosh 3 Oct 2015

The highest therapeutic dose is normally reserved for adults with Narcolepsy and that dose tops out at 80 mg./day total for the immediate-release formula, I believe. However, from what I understand, it is not common to Rx that high of a dose.
For ADHD in adults, the highest dose is 60 mg./day total.

TiffanyMooreHI 17 Feb 2018

Did you reply to that message after looking it up on “CompletelyIncorrectMedicalAdvice.com”? Why even answer a question like that if you have no idea what you’re talking about?

Futuresphd 7 Apr 2018

Wow. Your answer is wrong. There is no legal or Max dose. Therapeutic for a 90lb female who is first starting it or a 220 lb male who had been on the drug for 20 years? Case by case and depends on many factors including I suppose how many inaccurate answers users believe regarding this post and similar ones.

hlzimmerman 14 Oct 2015

Anywhere from 90-120mg a day. Verified answer from a legit Dr in PA, the strictest state around.

Chaz45 29 Nov 2015

Dear hizimmerman,

I need to know the name and address/phone# for this doctor for his services or, more likely, a reference to some doctor in Michigan who will prescribe more than 80mg/Day of Adderall-IR to an individual who is 62 years old, 5"10" tall, 215 lbs who shows a predominent presence of "mixed" ADD/ADHD of a very pronounced/serious nature. This person is now, and for the last 15 years, on Social Security Disability due to Mental Illness (unspecified). Very brief part of a long and complex period of a mental affliction for which I have nearly given up hope.

Regards,
Chuck Clark
(734) 564-4285

Chaz45 29 Nov 2015

Dear hizimmerman,

Regards,
Chuck Clark
(734) 564-4285

Jkdimsdale 15 Oct 2015

60 mg/ daily is the max dose, unless, as answered above, narcolepsy is only diagnosis allowed to max out at 80mgs daily. Most drs, especially the ones I've been to and/heard about 2nd hand won't start you at higher than 10/day and gradually increase doses over time. I have been on adderall most of my adult life, & EVERYTIME I've had to switch drs for whatever reason, they all make you start at lowest possible clinical dosage and if you,after several months, need more to get the desired therapeutic effect, will only up to 20s... I had to basically beg mine to give me 30/ twice daily, only after he was able to verify from past medical records that I, indeed, had been on that dosage for years.

GPR2090 24 Aug 2018

You literally have no idea what your talking about. It's amazing that you think your personal experience Trump's actual medical fact.

ADHD veteran 24 Sep 2018

This is what I have learned: 60 mg a day all at once is different than 30 mg at a time. With a 30 mg dose, you are only ever on 30mg. You don't add them together for a Max daily dose. 30mg 3 times a day is, still 30mg. You are never on more than 30mg at a time. If you take 2 of those at once, it is 60Mg. I don't recommend that.
It isn't the same as the xr. That is why xr is such a pain. 30mg of xr is NEVER actually 30mg. It is 10 trickle trickle, 5 trickle trickle 10... etc. It's why it doesn't work. And someone, somewhere has decided that 30mg xr once a day is enough for someone who NEEDS 30mg at a time. It isn't.

Inactive 3 Dec 2015

Personally, I've known patients on up to 270mg per day. That's 9 of the 30 mg tabs. There really is no max dosage. It's an individual basis.

Efloyd7 7 May 2017

I see that this answer was from two years ago. Do you really know people on 270mg?

Futuresphd 19 Nov 2017

I do as well in 2017.

I just filled for 150 ir a day.

billieboy2203 29 Jan 2016

60 mg.

brooklynct2003 21 Dec 2016

I am a patient on Adderall for adult ADD and off-label for depression since 2007. I've accidentally dosed up to 150 mg with no ill effects, except the jitters and a little manic behavior.

jb548 29 Jul 2017

Well since it is entirely possible to go years before finding out something caused you significant damage; that really isn't a good indication that it is okay. Most of the time it will come when older and if was damaged becomes the weak link that breaks.

Futuresphd 7 Apr 2018

Long term amphetamine use is actually very safe and if you do some research, "doing damage," and realizing it later is I suppose realizing it prior and knowlingly and still being OK with your decision to drink or something we have scientific clinical evidence done with credible studies. 2 yr old children are prescribed this drug, a bird told me that maybe seeing how untreated ADD/ADHD will get you may help too.

Cheers

chuck1957 22 Dec 2016

IT'S BEST TO POST YOUR QUESTION BY IT'S SELF NOT ON SOMETHING THAT IS A YEAR OR YEAR AND 1/2 BACK the answers don't always go out please repost you question. to bring it up to date. Or call your doctor. Chuck1957 to whom it may concern.

CoopDiggety 21 Feb 2017

After just leaving my extremely Pro-Active "concierge" doctor of 5 years- and reading through his medical prescription "dictionary" with him in an effort to find the answer to this question - In Maryland - the highest maximum dose is 40 mg for IR and 30 mg for XR.

We did not see a difference in quantity regardless of reason (i.e. Narcolepsy, ADD, etc.). In fact - the book stated that 20 mg of XR was max dose for adults.

If anyone can advise any different in Maryland - please advise.

Donovancdaley 1 May 2017

I'm not sure about Maryland, but I was diagnosed with ADHD about four months ago in Tennessee. My Dr. started me on 10mg of Adderall IR 2x a day then increased to 30mg of Adderall IR 3x a day (90mg total) over the last couple of months. She actually said that she has other adult patients on an even higher dose. I think it just depends on the doctor. I know my doctor suffers from ADHD herself, so I feel she has compaction and first hand knowledge of what it's like to live with it.

Hithere2017 14 Nov 2017

I think it's all up to the doctor you see. I was originally started on vyvance don't remember the mg but the doctor told me it was like controlled adderall whatever that means ended up moving and switching doctors and got put on 30mg adderall tabs twice a day (to compare the two they both made me feel the same)

Dean-x 12 Sep 2017

So I was diagnosed as a child with ADHD but my family refused treatment and explained it as me being smarter than others. This year (so nearly 20 years later) I saw a nuerologist for a different matter and brought up the possible ADHD. After a few minutes he said adderall would help and started me at 30mg of xr. After 2 months it was increased to 40mg of xr and now a new doctor wants to add an ir in addition to it. I really don't think their is a max. My likely new treatment will be around 70mg a day with almost half being "as needed" I will update after increase if anyone is interested. Having a doctor who understands that the xr does not last 12 hours or even close to that is a huge help in getting proper treatment.

Islandgirlmakamae 11 Oct 2017

I reside in Hawaii, am an adult/adult dose and have been on this medication for many yrs. My dr told me I'm on the highest prescribing dose avail., which is 30mg. x 2 a day (I get 60 pills a mo.). Hope this answer helps... aloha

Futuresphd 19 Nov 2017

60mg is the Legal limit or just what the recommended dose limit is? 120mg to 270mg scripts are legally written all day there is no law stating the limit of amphetamines allowed to be prescribed to a patient. Case by case basis... Good luck and alll the best!

hoodster 4 Jun 2018

Trials are the FDA used to set max doses. If they only text to 60 mg, that is generally the max dose approved. The max approved dose does not determine the amount the doctor prescribes; each doctor used there discretion & it SHOULD be based in symptoms - also determined by the provider.

GPR2090 25 Sep 2018

I find it absolutely laughable that this person sits here and says it's a legal fact that those low doses are the law and narcolepticy is the only illness that stimulants are used to treat other than ADD / ADHD. I have a traumatic brain injury and I've been studying secondary ADHD as a comorbid condition with brain injury for years. I've met people who have regular ADHD who take over 250mg of Adderall From a doctor. No special doctor, no illegal crap going on, it's all in the doctors perview. Go online and look up " stimulants for TBI", and read the studies, articles, medical journals talking about high dose stims for brain injury recovery. There is no one size fits all dosage of Adderall for any condition!! There are over 20 factors that involve dosage for a particular person on a case to case basis. Do you seriously believe everything the doctor tells you? Lol!!! I stopped doing that along time ago.