What is the highest dose of Adderall that is prescribed it to an adult?

Mackintosh 3 Oct 2015

The highest therapeutic dose is normally reserved for adults with Narcolepsy and that dose tops out at 80 mg./day total for the immediate-release formula, I believe. However, from what I understand, it is not common to Rx that high of a dose.
For ADHD in adults, the highest dose is 60 mg./day total.

hlzimmerman 14 Oct 2015

Anywhere from 90-120mg a day. Verified answer from a legit Dr in PA, the strictest state around.

Chaz45 29 Nov 2015

Dear hizimmerman,

I need to know the name and address/phone# for this doctor for his services or, more likely, a reference to some doctor in Michigan who will prescribe more than 80mg/Day of Adderall-IR to an individual who is 62 years old, 5"10" tall, 215 lbs who shows a predominent presence of "mixed" ADD/ADHD of a very pronounced/serious nature. This person is now, and for the last 15 years, on Social Security Disability due to Mental Illness (unspecified). Very brief part of a long and complex period of a mental affliction for which I have nearly given up hope.

Regards,
Chuck Clark
(734) 564-4285

Chaz45 29 Nov 2015

Dear hizimmerman,

Regards,
Chuck Clark
(734) 564-4285

Jkdimsdale 15 Oct 2015

60 mg/ daily is the max dose, unless, as answered above, narcolepsy is only diagnosis allowed to max out at 80mgs daily. Most drs, especially the ones I've been to and/heard about 2nd hand won't start you at higher than 10/day and gradually increase doses over time. I have been on adderall most of my adult life, & EVERYTIME I've had to switch drs for whatever reason, they all make you start at lowest possible clinical dosage and if you,after several months, need more to get the desired therapeutic effect, will only up to 20s... I had to basically beg mine to give me 30/ twice daily, only after he was able to verify from past medical records that I, indeed, had been on that dosage for years.

Anonymous 3 Dec 2015

Personally, I've known patients on up to 270mg per day. That's 9 of the 30 mg tabs. There really is no max dosage. It's an individual basis.

billieboy2203 29 Jan 2016

60 mg.