What is the highest dose of Adderall that is prescribed it to an adult?

17 Answers

Mackintosh 3 Oct 2015

The highest therapeutic dose is normally reserved for adults with Narcolepsy and that dose tops out at 80 mg./day total for the immediate-release formula, I believe. However, from what I understand, it is not common to Rx that high of a dose.
For ADHD in adults, the highest dose is 60 mg./day total.

Futuresphd 7 Apr 2018

Wow. Your answer is wrong. There is no legal or Max dose. Therapeutic for a 90lb female who is first starting it or a 220 lb male who had been on the drug for 20 years? Case by case and depends on many factors including I suppose how many inaccurate answers users believe regarding this post and similar ones.

Mjvoss 23 May 2018

For three years I was taking 90 mg a day.
When my neurologist retired 3 months ago, his colleague started prescribing me 60 mg a day.
The reason it was raised to 90 mg is because my body had gotten used to the 60 mg and I was falling sleep during the day.
I've had narcolepsy with cataplexy for 20+ years.
I was told that 90 was too high & could cause a heart attack.
I have noticed a slight relied on my heart, as it was kinda stressed whenever I would get irritated.
Maybe they went hand in hand.
My issue is the EDS still.
Pharmacist recommended Vit B 12 to boost energy, but it's done nothing to help over the last 3 days.

GPR2090 24 Aug 2018

You have no idea what your talking about and should not make blanket statements on a subject without proper research. Its well documented and can be found easily online that in the case of traumatic brain injury patients dealing with comorbid conditions regarding secondary ADHD, there is no size fits all dosage of stimulants. Look it up. There are dozens of studies from the US, Canada, and Europe supporting high dose stimulant use in order to help a TBI patient push through the extreme cognitive dissonance that patient is dealing with.

MNDMMR2019 4 Jan 2019

Realizing this information was posted in 2015 being 4 years ago I found it very informative. After many years since early childhood knowing it wasn’t normal for most people to be easily distracted with difficulty concentrating/focusing on one task at a time. Dealing with this problem for many years it wasn’t until my 30’s before I finally confided everything to a therapist I trusted. After testing I was diagnosed with adult ADD and soon after bipolar disorder along with narcolepsy. From what I can remember I was first prescribed 40mg daily of Adderall. I am now prescribed 60mg daily taking 20mg TID. Recently I’ve been feeling as though it’s not working or my system has so very well adapted to the same dose I’ve taken for many years I no longer feel fully the same positive results and can frequently take one dose and fall asleep shortly after for a few hours. I’m at a cross point where I’m not sure what to do.

I feel my current psychiatrist doesn’t listen or understand frequently changing prescribed meds to treat bipolar disorder and ignoring the fact that I also have been diagnosed with ADD. Not wanting to be judged or labeled as having drug seeking behavior I’m not comfortable discussing this with her. Then again I really don’t want to have to increase my dose. Feeling tired of radpid med changes, feeling constantly, chronically tired and severely depressed having only 4-5 manic episodes ever. Most manic episodes have been radically unpleasant until most recently having one lasting 9 days and feeling happy and refreshed from the experience. My depression has not been under control for several years. As I mentioned she constantly stops one med abruptly and prescribed another never allowing mind and body to feel any therapeutic effects. My narcolepsy diagnosis seems to be fairly under control which I feel is due to taking Adderall daily . I realize this comment is quite long and I do apologize. However I need some good advice and a good opinion from another medical professional. My sincere thanks

Koolcop127 28 Mar 2019

Im a 33 years old male and I’ve been prescribed adderall for over 15 years now. My current dosage is 4 Adderall 30mg pills a day for ADHD. I take 120mg a day and I get 120 adderall 30mg pills every month.

Bxmam 18 Jan 2021

It’s good to take a break from Adderall. Be 1, 2, or even 7 days. You get use to being alert, quick witted and over all positive vibes from it. I get it, I’m prescribed for 60 mg / day. I’ve been on it for 16 yrs. I’m severe adhd, TBI, and Bipolar. Sometimes I fall asleep while on Adderall. It’s a God send for us but just like everything else you have to balance your mind.

hlzimmerman 14 Oct 2015

Anywhere from 90-120mg a day. Verified answer from a legit Dr in PA, the strictest state around.

qmnmd27zen 1 Jul 2018

90mg-120mg is legitimately what I have been needing for the last 7 years, but live in southern California and can't find a psychiatrist that will work with me or listen. They have me living like a zombie and my family watches me sleep all day.i have ADD and narcolepsy, but out here there's not one Physician to help me out of this hell. I am suicidal at this point, nothing else works and I'm so desperately in need of anything.

Jkdimsdale 15 Oct 2015

60 mg/ daily is the max dose, unless, as answered above, narcolepsy is only diagnosis allowed to max out at 80mgs daily. Most drs, especially the ones I've been to and/heard about 2nd hand won't start you at higher than 10/day and gradually increase doses over time. I have been on adderall most of my adult life, & EVERYTIME I've had to switch drs for whatever reason, they all make you start at lowest possible clinical dosage and if you,after several months, need more to get the desired therapeutic effect, will only up to 20s... I had to basically beg mine to give me 30/ twice daily, only after he was able to verify from past medical records that I, indeed, had been on that dosage for years.

GPR2090 24 Aug 2018

You literally have no idea what your talking about. It's amazing that you think your personal experience Trump's actual medical fact.

ADHD veteran 24 Sep 2018

This is what I have learned: 60 mg a day all at once is different than 30 mg at a time. With a 30 mg dose, you are only ever on 30mg. You don't add them together for a Max daily dose. 30mg 3 times a day is, still 30mg. You are never on more than 30mg at a time. If you take 2 of those at once, it is 60Mg. I don't recommend that.
It isn't the same as the xr. That is why xr is such a pain. 30mg of xr is NEVER actually 30mg. It is 10 trickle trickle, 5 trickle trickle 10... etc. It's why it doesn't work. And someone, somewhere has decided that 30mg xr once a day is enough for someone who NEEDS 30mg at a time. It isn't.

Inactive 3 Dec 2015

Personally, I've known patients on up to 270mg per day. That's 9 of the 30 mg tabs. There really is no max dosage. It's an individual basis.

Efloyd7 7 May 2017

I see that this answer was from two years ago. Do you really know people on 270mg?

Futuresphd 19 Nov 2017

I do as well in 2017.

I just filled for 150 ir a day.

Efloyd7 19 Nov 2017

Where do you live?

Futuresphd 19 Nov 2017

Well said.

Futuresphd 19 Nov 2017

Virginia a commonwealth state so if Amy limit was ever a legal one VA would be first in line lol

Efloyd7 19 Nov 2017

Virginia. Wow! I live in the wonderful state of Alabama (being sarcastic ) ... thank you

Dave117 30 Mar 2018

I live in California and I’m in some need of a Dr. here that can help me out. I used to be in 30mg twice a day but my current Dr. won’t prescribe me any at all. Does anyone know a Dr. in Southern California that i can go to?

MrsTJSVanMack 9 May 2021

I truly disagree with that statement. Medication dosages are regulated and are listed as daily therapeutic suggested doses by the FDA for what is therapeutically safe. Physicians do take their liberties in prescribing dosages slightly above or below what the FDA recommends. Those liberties depend on the physician and their patient's particular factors which are personal to each individual because no one is exactly the same.

billieboy2203 29 Jan 2016

60 mg.

brooklynct2003 21 Dec 2016

I am a patient on Adderall for adult ADD and off-label for depression since 2007. I've accidentally dosed up to 150 mg with no ill effects, except the jitters and a little manic behavior.

jb548 29 Jul 2017

Well since it is entirely possible to go years before finding out something caused you significant damage; that really isn't a good indication that it is okay. Most of the time it will come when older and if was damaged becomes the weak link that breaks.

Futuresphd 7 Apr 2018

Long term amphetamine use is actually very safe and if you do some research, "doing damage," and realizing it later is I suppose realizing it prior and knowlingly and still being OK with your decision to drink or something we have scientific clinical evidence done with credible studies. 2 yr old children are prescribed this drug, a bird told me that maybe seeing how untreated ADD/ADHD will get you may help too.

Cheers

CODEMANpw 29 Jun 2018

I don't mean anything on this but... What is your typical dosage and how did you accidentally take 150mg?

I'm early 30s and am fairly new (1 and a half years) to Adderall. My family doctor put me on it after a nervous break down revealed I have ADD and a minor case of Narcolepsy (frequent bouts of tiredness, disorientation, and the rare occasion of fainting from the chronic tiredness. Chronic tiredness ended up bringing about imbalance that caused me to become a blithering, sobbing child for several days).

Recently got bumped to 20mg. Just curious how a person survives 150mg. Seems too extreme considering I only take half at dawn (10) and half at noon (10) and still have a tiny bit of trouble getting used to it.

Once again, nothing bad or judgment implied. I am just curious and like to know everything about what I put in my body.

chuck1957 22 Dec 2016

IT'S BEST TO POST YOUR QUESTION BY IT'S SELF NOT ON SOMETHING THAT IS A YEAR OR YEAR AND 1/2 BACK the answers don't always go out please repost you question. to bring it up to date. Or call your doctor. Chuck1957 to whom it may concern.

CoopDiggety 21 Feb 2017

After just leaving my extremely Pro-Active "concierge" doctor of 5 years- and reading through his medical prescription "dictionary" with him in an effort to find the answer to this question - In Maryland - the highest maximum dose is 40 mg for IR and 30 mg for XR.

We did not see a difference in quantity regardless of reason (i.e. Narcolepsy, ADD, etc.). In fact - the book stated that 20 mg of XR was max dose for adults.

If anyone can advise any different in Maryland - please advise.

Donovancdaley 1 May 2017

I'm not sure about Maryland, but I was diagnosed with ADHD about four months ago in Tennessee. My Dr. started me on 10mg of Adderall IR 2x a day then increased to 30mg of Adderall IR 3x a day (90mg total) over the last couple of months. She actually said that she has other adult patients on an even higher dose. I think it just depends on the doctor. I know my doctor suffers from ADHD herself, so I feel she has compaction and first hand knowledge of what it's like to live with it.

Hithere2017 14 Nov 2017

I think it's all up to the doctor you see. I was originally started on vyvance don't remember the mg but the doctor told me it was like controlled adderall whatever that means ended up moving and switching doctors and got put on 30mg adderall tabs twice a day (to compare the two they both made me feel the same)

Futuresphd 19 Nov 2017

I live in VA and see a Psychopharmacologist in MD who writes mine and many other patients 120mg and 60mg even 90mg a day. Your doctor is wrong. Ask him or her to show you where it is stated thst his 40mg bs is and if he finds it he won't so you know have leverage. He has a golf tee time soon and is a bitch scared of the DEA.

j1270810 6 Apr 2018

Maryland as today 4/6/18" Maximum dosage for IR is 120mg, ER 90mg,i know, live here and on 90mg IR daily

Dean-x 12 Sep 2017

So I was diagnosed as a child with ADHD but my family refused treatment and explained it as me being smarter than others. This year (so nearly 20 years later) I saw a nuerologist for a different matter and brought up the possible ADHD. After a few minutes he said adderall would help and started me at 30mg of xr. After 2 months it was increased to 40mg of xr and now a new doctor wants to add an ir in addition to it. I really don't think their is a max. My likely new treatment will be around 70mg a day with almost half being "as needed" I will update after increase if anyone is interested. Having a doctor who understands that the xr does not last 12 hours or even close to that is a huge help in getting proper treatment.

Islandgirlmakamae 11 Oct 2017

I reside in Hawaii, am an adult/adult dose and have been on this medication for many yrs. My dr told me I'm on the highest prescribing dose avail., which is 30mg. x 2 a day (I get 60 pills a mo.). Hope this answer helps... aloha

Futuresphd 19 Nov 2017

60mg is the Legal limit or just what the recommended dose limit is? 120mg to 270mg scripts are legally written all day there is no law stating the limit of amphetamines allowed to be prescribed to a patient. Case by case basis... Good luck and alll the best!

qmnmd27 30 Jan 2019

I agree with future PhD , it’s up to the Dr. I can’t find a Dr that will treat me as my previous psychiatrist prescribed me. Very frustrating, to say the least. It should be up to THE PHYSICIANS but DEA, Government bs etc... that’s why people are treated unfairly poorly and yet I’d bet a lot more than most, that politicians are able to get comfortably treated.

hoodster 4 Jun 2018

Trials are the FDA used to set max doses. If they only text to 60 mg, that is generally the max dose approved. The max approved dose does not determine the amount the doctor prescribes; each doctor used there discretion & it SHOULD be based in symptoms - also determined by the provider.

Sspence7 29 Jan 2019

I have been on 120 mg of Adderall tablets a day for 6 years for Narcolepsy.

qmnmd27 29 Jan 2019

To “Spence “ recent reply
What state are you in?
That’s the amount that works for me yet Drs don’t go for it here
It’s frustrating so I try to just deal with barely functioning but it’s horrible

Glad to read someone else understands

JMH84 15 Feb 2019

I know this post is old but I found it interesting. Everyone is different and what works best for them could be a higher dose than someone else. I love in New Hampshire but my Doctor is in Boston. I take 1, 30mg IR & 1, 30mg XR in the morning and then again in the afternoon. Then I take two 20 mg in the evening and I barely feel like it’s working as I have been prescribed since I was much younger. So total I take a day would be 160mg.

Effect 18 Feb 2019

Is this for ADHD or chronic fatigue? I’m currently struggling with both, and while the lower doses help with attention, they seem to stop helping when it comes to the fatigue.

Persistence717 6 Apr 2019

There is no max legal dose. However, as previously stated, government and insurance providers have certainly come up with ways to restrict how much is prescribed. Additionally, the varying locations give credence to any assertion that this is not necessarily ubiquitous and most likely occurs as a result of some ill informed complaint about the prescriber to one of the aforementioned entities (government, insurance organization). Such is the case with my psychiatrist who has all of the suddenly reduced the maximums on benzodiazapines and stimulants. BZDs now stop at 1mg (not including Restoril) and Adderall now ends at 40mg per day.