What helps with hair loss while taking methotrexate. Everyday my brush and shirt are full of hair?

suzanne66 16 Jul 2012

Hair loss is an unwanted side effect of methotrexate. There is no specific treatment to prevent hair loss. Some suggest taking leucovorin (a form of folic acid) 8-12 hours after methotrexate may decrease this potential side effect. You will need to see your doctor for Leucovorin.
The good news is once the medication is discontinued, or with time, the shedding will gradually resolve.

methomeg 17 Jul 2012

I also suffered from severe hair loss while taking mtx. My hair was long and very full prior to treatment, and became thin with obvious sparse spots and very unhealthy. I decided to bite the bullet and chop it off. I cut it quite short, and during the growing out time period it returned to its former health. I am still on mtx, but I think that after time our system is able to adapt to it somewhat. Although its scary and annoying, my experience was that time and patience were all I could give. Good luck!!! Fingers are crossed for you!! Meghan

loubelles101 21 Jul 2015

Hi Meghan, I am still new to been on Methrotrexate and I am noticing hair loss. How long was the wait time you experienced in terms of your system adapting to it?
Thank You!:)
Melissa

PWCTS 16 Dec 2012

I've been taking weekly oral doses of MTX for a cutaneous lymphoma for 14 years. My thinning hair led me to make an appointment with my dermatologist for next week. He is talking about prescribing topical Rogaine. I'll keep the group updated. Nikki

PWCTS 29 Dec 2012

I saw my treating doctor and he said my hair loss is due to aging. If it was due to MTX I would have started losing it within the first 30 days.

IAMKR 16 Jul 2015

I was on MTX for about 5 months I started with prednisone and MTX then after 3 months I stopped taking the Prednisone. I thought i noticed my hair thinning and one after showering I looked down and it looked like my little yorkie had jumped in the tub. The drain was full of hair, and when I got out an combed it huge amounts came out in the come. When I went to the Doctor I told him to stop the med-he stopped it and now 2 months later I am in so much pain i don;t know what to do. I am guessing i'll have to stay on the prednisone and take my chances with these side effects. I know this sounds very vane but I am going on 70 and with the weight gain and the hair loss this is too much.

Lola28chx 17 Dec 2015

Not really sure! I was taking MTX for a while on and off, but my hair is still falling out even tho I'm currently not taking MTX!! I'm worried but I'm hopeful! I'm gonna start w my diet and I go back in January to the doctors. I'm psoriasis is coming back and I've only been off MTX for about 4 months. I can hardly walk and I'm only 34. I have 2 teenaged children who try buy they are teenaged! Good luck everyone!

traderjane 19 Dec 2015

I will be watching this site to see if anyone comes up with something. I have long hair and I too might have to cut it because my hair has thinned out so much. I take 8 Mx every Sunday evening. My doctor has just started me on Leucovorin. Thank you to all who have responded.

Macabeeshoney 15 days ago

Take Biotin. I take 1000mcg per day and it has really helped. I also use Biota shampoo. Biota also has a topical to put on your scalp. I use it about once a month or whenever I notice my hair falling out more. I have RA (taking MTX & steroid), hypothyroid and early menopause. All contribute to hair loss. My Gynecologist is who told me about Biotin. My hair is not as thick as it was when I was young but part of that is aging. However, it is not thin and falling out anymore. Hope this helps!.