What drugs are used to treat sinus infections?

Anonymous 31 Dec 2012

Click on the link:

https://www.drugs.com/condition/sinusitis.html

Happy New Year,

masso.-

SinupretSa 11 Jan 2013

The following drugs can be used to treat sinus infections; antibiotics like amoxicillin amoxicillin-clavulanate, Augmentin, azithromycin Zithromax, levofloxacin Levaquin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole Bactrim Septra.

Nasal decongestants that contain antihistamines like: pseudoephedrine, phenylephrine, oxymetazoline (Afrin), chlorzoxazone (Forte).

cupcake7667 11 Jan 2013

Sinupretsa covered it all :) My personal favorite is ZITHROMAX in a Z-pack, as its higher doses of meds but can be taken in 5 days so you're not on prolonged antibiotic therapy. A great OTC med for congestion is Mucinex ( think 650 mg is the dose, may be higher) twice daily. It's really a wonder drug for colds and sinus congestion.
Feel better soon!!!

berghild 8 Feb 2013

I am on this regimen and feel so much better! but I think I need a short spurt of prednisone for the asthma that kicked in from the sinus infection.

rc4 11 Jan 2013

Hi Tickled- My history with sinus infections is fortunate . I rarely rarely get them but most in my family do.Historically,For sinus pressure there's really only 2 OTC ingredients- pseudophenedrine and phenylephrine. You can try phenylephrine, it's also in the Sudafed brand, but it will be the one on the shelf, not behind the counter.

However, pseudophedrine works best, all you have to do is sign for it and show a license, no big deal. Takes a couple extra minutes. An Advil Cold and Sinus (or the generic equivalent) would be good, it's behind the counter and it has Ibuprofen and Pseudophedrine, which will really help the pressure and inflammation.Sorry and good luck, RC4

cupcake7667 11 Jan 2013

Sinus infections most often times don't resolve without ABX treatment. At least I never had one that did. You are fortunate rc4-tunate ;)

rc4 11 Jan 2013

hi cupcake- Not as RC4-tunate as you think. See, I have had a history with MRSA twice, but you probably didn't know that. I try to steer away from ABX treatments as much as I can, when I can, but thats just silly old me.I should have mentioned that, But thanks for your comment and your clever dose of verbiage (?) and I hope "tickled" got something out of it as well. Good luck, happy new year ! RC4