Do I need to taper off hydrochlorothiazide/spironolactone 25mg-25mg or can I just stop it?

Marvell 15 Feb 2011

You can just stop taking hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone... you don't need to taper off. However, before stopping please discuss this with your doctor. Your blood pressure will need to be monitored when you come off this, and perhaps your doctor may wish to put you on some other medicine.

NatalieE 15 Feb 2011

Thanks for the answer. I have stopped Spirono/Hctz. However, I am monitoring my blood pressure at home. I am on a Nutrisystem diet and losing weight. So far, my blood pressure is normal.
If my blood pressure should rise abnormally, I will start back on the HBP med. Hopefully, all will go as planned!

Tootsie73 25 Mar 2012

Thank goodness because I feel like if I take the hydro... one more day I won't be able to walk across the room. I have been telling my Dr. my symptoms but he just says it's my knees and a touch of arthritis... but I never had anything like this until I started taking this pill and Crestor. I monitor my pressure at home and it is fine... until I get to the Dr. office and that's when it elevates. I am a very active person in my community and I want to get back to business. I hope I can get some good advice to help me through this. thanks!

suecal78 8 Feb 2015

Get off the Crestor. Statins are poison. Almost destroyed my muscles. I went down like a rubber band.

caringsonbj 15 Feb 2011

it's not that this medication cannot be discontinued the thing of it is you need to talk with your doctor as see if this is OK with him before doing this. I wish you the very best

NatalieE 15 Feb 2011

Thanks for the answer. I have stopped the Spirono/Hctz. I am monitoring my blood pressure at home. I am losing weight from being on the Nutrisystem. Hopefully, if all goes as planned, I won't have to restart the HBP med.

LaurieShay 15 Feb 2011

Hey NatalieE,

I have to reiterate and add to what has been said. You can stop these medications without tapering but you run the risks of electrolyte and hormonal imbalance. You need to be under a doctor's care so to avoid complicaitons like high blood pressure, hyperkalemia, and hypokalemia, to name just a few.

The signs of imbalance are as follows:

Warning signs or symptoms of fluid and electrolyte imbalance include dryness of mouth, thirst, weakness, lethargy, drowsiness, restlessness, muscle pains or cramps, muscular fatigue, hypotension, oliguria, tachycardia, and gastrointestinal disturbances such as nausea and vomiting.

High blood pressure can be symptomless, but life threatening if gone untreated.

Please consult your doctor before discontinuing these medications.
Laurie

NatalieE 15 Feb 2011

Thanks for the answer. I have stopped the Spirono/Hctz. I am monitoring my blood pressure at home. Also, I am on a diet and losing weight. Hopefully, if all goes as planned, I won't have to restart the HBP med. However, I will keep the warning signs and/or symptoms in mind.