Can people become dependent on inhalers for their lungs to operate regularly (like combivent)?

itsmetoo2 12 Apr 2010

I asked the same question of my doctor. He said no... I said my dad died of Black Lung. He said Asthma and Black Lung are different. Now that I have been taking my medication (inhalers) as directed I feel so much better. I know I can go without, but I have found if I do, I do not breathe the same. The inhaler keeps the bronicals open and the heart works better, your lungs and all organs of the body work better.

Hope this helps

kellyandtodd 13 Apr 2010

I would not say people become dependent on inhalers i have asthma and i take mine because i know it helps me and if you notice that it helps you then just take it as directed,hope this helps

sva232 8 Jun 2010

I entered a study for inhalers approved by the FDA for COPD. Almost immediately, I became dependent on them. If I do not take them 4 times a day I become short of breath and/or start wheezing. Almost every morning, after 7 or 8 hours of no inhalers, I am like this. I continue to smoke, but I was never SOB or wheezing like this before I started using inhalers. Any answers?