Can adderall 30mg be prescribed 3x a day for adult ADD?

Rajive Goel 11 Nov 2011

In general, the dosage of Adderall should not be more than 40 mg per day total. The first dose of the day should be taken first thing in the morning. If taking Adderall two or three times a day, the next doses should be given after four to six hours.

However, please also check it with a doc/pharmacist who prescribed the med., take care.

Best wishes!

Danni926 12 Nov 2011

this really depends on your diagnosis... the FDA maximum dosage is a guideline but not the holy grail of dosage criteria, especially with multiple-indication medication... for example, people who take stimulant meds for narcolepsy often take a much higher dose than people who are prescribed stimulant meds for ADHD...

as long as you are working with your HCP on your dosage, there is no right or wrong amount... some people have a slower metabolism and lower tolerance and find efficacy on a low dose, while other people, myself included, have a very high metabolism and take what is considered to be a higher dose (60 mg +)... this is for your HCP and u to decide...

sweetnsexy 24 Feb 2012

I am currently on 60 mg. of adderall per morning time. When I told the doc we may need to raise my dosage he told me I was on the max dose. So yea 90 mg. a day is to much even though I abuse it and take up to 300mg a day.

Caradamo 1 Nov 2016

So what happens when you run out

Kymmysue003 2 days ago

I am prescribed 3 30 mg instants a day... of course I only take 2 - 3 speeds me to a not good point. My fiance abuses it though - has taken 20 a day before of 30 mg instants, 20 mg instants, xr's ... and has high blood pressure.

sistine2181 24 Apr 2012

There isn't a legal dosage limit on Adderall. However, too high a dose can hinder the effectiveness of the drug; Taking Adderall more frequently increases you risk for tolerance. Taking too high a dose can damage your receptors. Eventually 30mg might not work for you creating a vicious cycle.

tazc23 23 Oct 2012

Yes because I was on that dosage for several months, But I also have to take blood pressure medicines, like nifedipine and clonidine, to control headaches and hypertension, adderall is very addictive so you need to use it with care especially if given to a young person. It needs to be administered along with therapy because the medicine itself is not a cure-all, It just helps with some of the symptoms During stressful situations. I have since learned how to control my ADHD without the help of drugs. However my blood pressure never did return to normal where I had no issues with hypertension before I started taking Adderall.

Anonymous 8 Dec 2012

Yes, my doctor RX me 2 30 mg instant release, one forst thing in am , and one at noon. It has turned my life around. Sometimes, I will slip a third one in, depending on how late I am out, but I know people that take 150-200 a day. Im not suggesting this, but with good nutrition and good heart it is fairly harmless , but everyone is different so ask a professional, cheers RC

wavespell 10 Feb 2013

How do you go about procuring more than 60 mg of Adderall a day? Personally, I need 60mg 3 times PD, but in Alabama, doctors and some pharmacists have access to PDMP, which keeps up with what, when, where, and who of your controlled substances. You'd never get away procuring and filling 2 prescriptions per month.