Are there any antidepressants that don't have the side effect of excessive sweating?

Anonymous 7 May 2012

Hello dlaurie. Remeron and Wellbutrin are two that come to mind. Regards, pledge

balbanese 7 May 2012

They all have a different effect on different people, best is to tell your Dr who is the best source for alternatives. There are so many on the market now but Docs stay up on which does what to whom. Hope this helps.

suzanne66 7 May 2012

Unwanted sweating is a common side effect of treatment with anti-depressants, especially those that modulate serotonin levels in the brain. Prozac, Paxil and Celexa are commonly prescribed members of this group of drugs, known has SSRIs (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors).
Excessive sweating has also been associated tricyclic antidepressants (Elavil), and venlafaxine (Effexor).
Each patient needs to be evaluated individually. In some patients, these symptoms require dose reduction, antidepressant substitution, antidepressant discontinuation, or addition of an agent to control sweating. Agents that have been reported successful in controlling the sweating include benztropine and cyproheptadine.
Hope this helps.

Rivera family 11 Sep 2013

Yes I've started sweating like crazy on the Zoloft and a fast heart beat . I'm taking Valium for now until I see the doctor. It helps but short term . Maybe I should go back on the Paxil ,,, I'm lost on what pill will work . As meds are starting to scared me , because of all the side effects .. Any help

dlaurie483 11 Sep 2013

Yes it does help. My doctor has taken me off the celexa and has put me on Cymbalta for my Fibro, I was fine until just recently when I started sweating again. I sometimes wonder if weight gain has anything to do with it. Any thoughts on the Cymbalta or weight gain?

joroots 28 Aug 2016

I am on the low dose of 10 mg of paraxatine and have these horrible head sweats. I think the best I can do is know what brings them on and act accordingly. I always have a head band with me in my purse. I have at least 10 square cotton scarfs in my drawer that I roll into head bands. I know if I do outdoor work in the yard, vacuum or it is a hot, humid day I will have head sweats. I have very thin eye brows so the sweat usually goes in my eyes and then they burn like #%&^#. I try to lower my body temperature after a shower by running it cold on my chest and arm pit areas for 2 minutes or stay cool if possible when going out. I try to drink cold water with ice. I avoid caffeine and hot beverages and soup. I react easily to medications so don't want to change my antidepressant or take a med that prevents the head sweats. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.