Is Abilify usually dosed in the morning due to insomnia issues?

WildcatVet 22 Aug 2016

Hi, ty! I took mine at night because it made me slightly drowsy and I slept much better.
Best wishes, Wildcat

Factfinder227 22 Aug 2016

Abilify can in SOME people cause insomnia. Others it may cause drowsiness. I take it in the morning because of that very fact. I still have sleep disturbances occasionally. For me I would never take it at night. I hope this helps.

MLangen182 27 Aug 2016

I've been taking mine, 10 mg, just before bed and have been falling asleep right away and sleeping about 8 hours without waking up

catdecorator 15 Sep 2016

I work nights. 8pm to 6am so I fall asleep about 730am and am up by 11 or 12 and I take it then. And about 2 hours later it'll make me sleepy,so I take a nap around 3pm and my naps are amazing. I feel so much more rested. So I'm thinking about taking it when I get off work at 6AM, cause by the time I'm ready to sleep it'll help me. Cause one of my issues is I can't sleep more then 3 hours. I stated taking it in the morning cause I loozed at it as a happy pill and thought well I need it while awake to help me to do things. I've only had 4 doses so far. But starting Friday morning I'm taking it at 6am.today I took it at 11am. So I'll be talking it 20 hours layer instead of 24 hours later. That will be ok right.. I've noticed a more positive thinking. But can't wait for full effects. To get out and about with my husband,start cleaning my house,less aniexty.

collegestudent96 13 Oct 2017

I have been taking Abilify for a little over a week now. It causes me drowsiness while at the same time energy. Yesterday I woke up at 2:30 a.m. and couldn't fall back asleep. Last night I woke up around 5:30. I'm thinking to switching to morning doses or decreasing my dose. I have struggled with insomnia in the past while taking antidepressants/antianxiety meds. I hope this drug works for me because it has seemed to calm my anxiety a lot. The only problem is that it doesn't allow me to sleep. I'm wondering if there is another mood stabilizer that is more sedating? I tried taking Seroquel for sleep, but it made me feel depressed.

WildcatVet 13 Oct 2017

Mood stabilizers are not particularly effect for sleep issues, but there are two atypical antidepressants (not SSRI, SNRI, or TCA's) which are commonly prescribed off label for their sedative effects. You might look into trazodone or Remeron.
https://www.drugs.com/remeron.html
https://www.drugs.com/trazodone.html
Best regards, Wildcat