User Reviews for Rivaroxaban

Also known as: Xarelto

Learn more about Rivaroxaban.

Rivaroxaban Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Pulmonary Embolism.

Reviews for Rivaroxaban to treat Pulmonary Embolism

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Hair very thin -shedding lots. Had a hysterectomy in June 2014 and had to use a wound vacuum. Once I started on Xarelto, this wound bleeds every day an won't heal. Almost two years. Most of my fingernails and toe nails fell off ( dried out). Not all have grown back. Bruise easilt plus round red marks appear every day."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2016

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I was put on Xarelto after a small P.E. in the lower lobe of my right lung and have not felt right since. I am tired all the time, have no energy, migraines, dizzy, and also increased anxiety. The reason I decided to take Xarelto over the other blood thinners was because of not having to go to the doctor monthly which I believe is the only good thing about this medication. Can't wait to go off of it in a month. I'm so thankful to read the comments and see I am not the only one suffering these side effects."

Frustrated 35 yr old female April 12, 2016

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I developed a pulmonary embolism following a partial hysterectomy. I was given Xarelto for six months. It worked well for me. As a 35-year-old mom with young children, I appreciated the convenience, since it doesn't require injections or weekly blood tests. It can be rough on your stomach if you have previous stomach issues. (I have GERD.) But taking an acid blocker like Zantac helps relieve symptoms. Talk to your doctor if you have any stomach concerns. This was an excellent drug for me."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 2, 2016

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I have had joint pain, tiredness,insomnia, and fluid retention. I can't wait to get off of this medicine. It's like taking poison."

Mamapug (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 24, 2016

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I developed multiple blood clots in my lungs after a trip to Canada and America. It wasn't until I returned home that I found out I had them and was put on the 15mg twice a day for 3 weeks before switching to 20mg once a day. I have just stopped taking Xarelto after 6 and a half months and found no problem with it! Aside from bruising easily, it sure beat the alternative (injections), so I am very grateful for all it has done. I am 20 years old and am happy to say I only have a bit of scar tissue left over."

BreCheToo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2016

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Don't like this drug - been on it for 3 months having bad rash affecting my breathing , my joints be glad when I come off it"

Pokolbin February 20, 2016

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I had my first PE in both lungs after having myomectomy surgery. Did not know I had a clotting condition. Was experiencing shortness of breath and low energy which I thought was iron deficiency so I went to the ER. CT scan proved PE. After being on a heparin drip 24hrs, the Hematologist prescribed Xarelto and I was released the next morning. Side effects so far after 4 days are: tingling in calves and knees, heavy menstrual bleeding. My period ended 2 days prior and this drug brought it back extra heavy. Bummer!"

Maryland31 (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

"Had dvt in which I was prescribed warfarin for. The constant blood tests were a nightmare as I am extremely hard to get blood from, sometimes taking more than 10 tries. The bruising from the thinners and punctures from blood tests, I was a bruised mess. Had a PE a year later in January 2015 after being taken off warfarin that almost killed me. I was devastated to think I will have to take warfarin for the rest of my life. The pharmacist in the hospital told me about xarelto and I was so happy. They proceeded to put me on xarelto. I am experiencing occasional headaches /migraines and I get extremely faint/dizzy while standing up. A small price to pay to be able to eat whatever I want and no constant painful blood drawing every few weeks!"

Mikey81 August 4, 2015

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I am taking Xarelto for a small PE (rt. lower lobe) detected upon battery of testing for origin of a "black out" I experienced. (The PE just happened to be detected and is considered not to be the source of blackout.) So, I am sensitive to drugs, in general. I am on the 2nd week or so of 1/day of 30mg. I experience bizarre dreams and seem to be in a light sleep. I have insomnia w/ the drug. I also feel "whacked out", post even 20 hrs. after ingesting it. In essence, I KNOW that I have taken a drug. I sometimes have to take a nap; I feel better after doing this. I am hoping that my body acclimates to X, but am realistic. I am also hoping/praying that I only have to be on X for 6 mos. I know that there are alternatives."

PolishGirl2 August 3, 2015

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I was in the hospital this weekend for a PE left lung and pneumonia in my right. Completely unsymptomatic except for a very unusual episode of vomiting with chest pain. Have a PICC and doc was concerned it may have become dislodged, so to the ER we went. The whole PE / pneumonia thing is still utterly unreal to us - still in a daze, trying to figure out what it means for lifestyle changes. Since they switched me from Coumadin IV to Xarelto in the hospital I have had a non-stop awful migraine, upper back and neck pain (muscular), some upset stomach. My lower jaw and teeth hurt - something I've never experienced as I have no cavities at age 47; I can empathize with my husband's toothaches a bit now, unfortunately. Awful."

PoohyBear (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I have been on Xarelto for 8 months after a PE experience due to thrombin 3 deficiency. My only issue is heavier that normal bruising - I am very active."

Bud 63 July 9, 2015

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Had bilateral acute PE. Barely a month has passed but I think I am doing okay with Rivaroxaban. I experienced a very heavy menstruation and still have laboured breathing here and there but apart from that, I am happy with the medication. I am now back to work on a part time basis (very supportive employer) and hopefully will be strong enough to be back on full time soon."

Milly Picton (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2015

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I am 39 and was given Xarelto for Pulmonary Embolism. I have experienced nausea, dizziness, dreams and mild headaches. Not sure this medicine is for me. Back to doctor on Monday."

tameads (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2015

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I had knee surgery on October 13 ,2014, not even two weeks later on October 24, I collapsed in my kitchen struggling to breathe. The paramedics thought, because of my age, that I overdosed on pain meds. Once they got me to the hospital I went into cat scan and ended up coding and dying. I was dead for 25 minutes. Obviously they found out both of my lungs were FULL of blood clots, they couldn't understand how I was even still alive or had made it that long without having any symptoms or problems. Dr. Barton of Thibodaux, Louisiana saved my life by putting me on Xarelto. It is now April 21, 2015, and my insurance won't pay for it anymore so now I'm switching to Warfarin. I'm very unhappy with the switch, no complaints about Xarelto though."

Miranda age, 18 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2015

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "After a visit to emergency with pain from left abdomen to shoulder, after many tests and a two-day hospital stay I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism in my left lung. My hematologist prescribed Xarelto and it seems to be working so far. I will be on this medication for 6 months along with iron supplements."

Tiamo123 February 8, 2015

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "A warning for menstruating women... I am a 28 year old female who was prescribed Xarelto for a Pulmoary Embolism. My menstrual period lasted 10 days with extremely heavy bleeding and clots. Normally it lasts 3-4 days and is very light. Soaked through an ultra tampon AND overnight pad every 2 hours. I went through a box of tampons every 2 days. I was not able to function at work, and it was ruining my relationship. I held my meds for a day and boom! Period went away. I believe that Xarelto prevented my endometrial lining from forming and staying in place."

CM113 January 15, 2015

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Have been on Xarelto now for 2 months without any complaints. I've not had the out of the ordinary dreams that others have reported. I am an endurance athlete and other than deconditioning from a forced no exercise restriction for 4 weeks, I cannot say that this medicine limits my performance. I must say I have had some very short duration dizzy spells on occasion, but definitely not the norm. My insurance required that Xarelto be preauthorized prior to getting it. So far I am very happy with its performance and convenience."

mroger82 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2014

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "No side effects, except one incidence of dizziness that passed quickly."

VFC June 21, 2014

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Had a Pulmonary Embolism in March 2014, I am happy with Xarelto in that it is a pill I can take without weekly blood work. My only complaint is that I am losing my hair in clumps! I tell you it is like I am taking chemo or something. I used to have very thick long hair and now my hair falls out horribly in the shower, when I brush it, all day long on my clothes, in the car whatever. Hair loss is not currently listed as a side affect but I called the 800 number of the company and put in a complaint about it as many others have."

blackdogs May 27, 2014

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I've been taking Xarelto for 1 month now for pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis. I haven't experienced many side effects. It seems to be working great except my period is extremely heavy and I'm taking an iron supplement."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2014

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Was given Xarelto in hospital and released. Two days later I was back in the hospital with lung pain and more blood clots. This medicine did not work on me."

Dusty3481 February 16, 2014

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Xarelto has been great for my pulmonary emboli. It is easy to take without monitoring, as reduced the clots quickly and has little restrictions."

wdhh December 18, 2013

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I love this medicine. My sister had a pulmonary embolism and had to take Coumadin, with shots and weekly blood tests. After my P.E., I take Xarelto and have for 5 months. No issues. If I get a cut, it clots just fine. No doctor visits. No blood tests. A miracle for thrombosis."

Eddie D. December 17, 2013

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "On Xarelto 15mg 2X a day since pulmonary embolism. Very pleased as it allowed me to released from hospital less than 24hrs after admission. One particular side effect: I am experiencing vivid dreams since going on Xarelto. Looking forward to getting off as soon as possible, but I am grateful that I am not on Coumadin or Lovenox."

zeemumbai (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2013

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Was placed on Xeralto 15mgs twice a day for my pulmonary embolism on 7/30/2013. The one thing that no one informed me about was how it was going to change my menstrual flow. It was so heavy that I began to get concerned as I was soaking an overnight pad every two hours. Try going to work with that business happening and trying to be productive. It is a good thing that the first time I went through it I was still on leave from the initial hospitalization."

Anabella12550 (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2013