User Reviews for Flecainide

Also known as: Tambocor

Learn more about Flecainide.

Paroxysmal Supravent...ular Tachycardia 3 reviews 1 medications

Supraventricular Tachycardia 0 reviews 50 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Flecainide reviews 57 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Flecainide

Review by Allaflutter (taken for less than 1 month):

For Atrial Fibrillation: I have been experiencing increasing episodes of atrial fibrillation over the past 8 months, going from one or two "blips" a day to recently probably 70% of the time! Not debilitating, but annoying. Doc put me on two 50 mg flecainide per day. I started yesterday, and so far so good. Not a single episode and so far no noticeable side effects, but then today is my first real "day" on the medicine. I resist taking anything for systemic problems like this, but if it can have this dramatic of positive effect with no side effects, I'm all for it.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 11:54 AM

Review by Moneybags:

For Atrial Fibrillation: I had an episode of atrial fibrillation once in 1979, once in 1999 and once in 2009. A cardiologist then said I was to take Flecainide if I had another episode. I woke up one night in 2011 with atrial fibrillation so I waited one hour as instructed and then took two Flecainide tablets, The fibrillation stopped an hour after I took the tablets.There were no side effects. Another cardiologist has recommended that I take Flecainide and the blood thinner Pradaxa next time atrial fibrillation occurs.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 8:10 PM

Review by LA2:

For Atrial Fibrillation: Flecainide caused increased incidents of atrial fibrillation. Each time I visited the doctor with increased incidents, he would increase the dosage until I finally figured out that the flecainide was the cause. Stopped taking the medicine and the incidents decreased.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 3:27 PM

Review by valman (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Atrial Fibrillation: 36 yr old male; Athlete; Lone atrial fibrillation; year and a half on Felcainide. The medicine works but episodes of Atrial fibrillation still occur just not as bad and not as often. Because I'm an athlete my A-fib episodes occur more about 2-3 time a month, sometimes just once a month. Some last a few hrs but some last up to 24 hrs or more. I still exercise but not when I'm in A-fib cause it causes shortness of breath. Note: my episodes don't really feel like I'm at a 180 bpm at rest. They just feel like I'm out of rhythm at a normal rate but of course this is me checking my pulse without a EKG.

January 10, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by PSVT for Four Years (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia: I've had Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia for 4 years. It got so bad I was in incessant PSVT, one episode right after another for hours at a time. Had two cardiac ablations. I've been on other meds, like Cardizem, Toprol. Nothing works to stop PSVT like Flecainide. I only take 50mg once a day, instead of the usual 50 mg twice a day and that works for me with no noticeable side effects. Without it, I would have to get a pacemaker.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2013 12:52 PM

Review by Mick N:

For Atrial Fibrillation: I have Lone Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation, and was having monthly 12 hour episodes very symptomatic, shortness of breath pounding in my chest, fatigued but all self terminating. I went on 50mg twice per day flecainide in February 2012, which kept the thing at bay for 6 months, but in August 2012 had a 12 hour episode, my dose was then upped to 50mg 3 times per day which I space in equal doses throughout the day so as not to get flecainide highs and lows in my bloodstream and so far have been 13 months free of the dreaded thing, oh yes I also take 2.5mg of bisoprolol fumarate once per day and 75mg dispersable aspirin once per day. So as far as I am concerned its a wonder pill. Before this I was getting more and more depressed with the episodes.

September 4, 2013 9:57 AM

Review by Beth H.:

For Atrial Fibrillation: This medicine works in 20 minutes for me. Too bad more doctors aren't familiar with it. Even some of my own cardiologists never prescribed it; took 15 years of lone atrial fibrillation and one savvy old cardio doctor in the ER one night to make life easier. Now I don't leave home without it.

July 27, 2013 6:55 PM

Review by Robyn8 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Atrial Fibrillation: I've suffered with Atrial Fibrillation off and on since 2004. Today was the first time I have tired Flecainide. It took 1 1/2 hours to work. I didn't have any side effects other then feeling a little tired. I seem to get atrial fibrillation every other year when I drink or eat something really cold. This episode was brought on by a cold glass of milk. I was in A Fib for 8 days, next time I'll take a Flecainide. I am not a pill taker and I refuse to take these on a day to day. It will only be as needed.

May 3, 2013 1:38 AM

Review by Ken Best (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Atrial Fibrillation: I am 55 male, my Atrial Fibrillation was getting worse, then on Oct 2012, I did not feel very well, so walked to the ER to have them take a look. Well, they said my heart rate was 170 and irregular, so they kept me there for 2 days, giving me medicine to slow it down. Then discharged with Diltiazem once a day. After 2 months, doc said let's try to fix the rhythm with cardioversion, so he gave me blood thinner for a month, and Flecainide 2 days before the cardioversion. On the day I was supposed to be cardioverted, my heart was back to sinus rhythm due to Flecainide. So doc told me to stay with Flecainide 100mg twice a day. Been 2 months now, feeling good, always in sinus. Tomorrow going to see doc and ask him if I can go with 50mg twice daily, or entirely off.

February 26, 2013 7:32 PM

Review by Gar Mac:

Tambocor (flecainide) for Ventricular Tachycardia: I have been taking Tambocor for 2 years and it had been been effective with little to no side effects. As long as you do not have heart disease or blockages.

January 8, 2013 10:16 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Tambocor (flecainide) for Atrial Flutter: Several times my heart went into palpitations due to over-exercise or stress; within 4 hours my heart returned to normal.

November 25, 2012 8:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Tambocor (flecainide) for Atrial Fibrillation: I used it for 6 years. After 3 years I started having peripheral vision problems of tiny white moving spots. I assumed it was an eye problem, but my ophthalmologists didn't see a reason. It is a side effect of this medicine.

August 31, 2012 1:16 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Atrial Fibrillation: Started taking Flecainide in 2008. Doctor suggested 100mg twice a day to control Atrial Fibrillation. I asked if I could take 1/2 a pill twice a day (50mg x 2). Even though he said it wouldn't be enough, I wanted to try the lower dose. My theory was that if I have to take a medicine, the least amount that would serve the purpose would be preferred. He agreed to let me try the lower dose. The only time I've had atrial fibrillation since is when I forgot to take the medicines. Four years on Flecainide, so far so good, with no noticeable side effects.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2012 2:32 AM

Review by Swimmerman (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Atrial Fibrillation: Completely eradicated vagotinic atrial fibrillation. No side effects. I am a healthy, athletic, active male who has been diagnosed with lone vagotinic AF. I initially tried the "pill in the pocket" approach. I was so good at predicting my occurrences, I coordinated with my Doctor to use as prophylactic medication. I still have occasional PVC's, but they are less frequent. So far a smashing success. Key point: talk with a cardiologist before embarking an any treatment!

May 20, 2012 10:52 PM

Review by BC20:

For Atrial Fibrillation: Have had AF since very young. In 2003 episodes began to occur almost daily. Was given Flecainide and after 6 weeks I was a different person - I had forgotten what it was like to go each day without even a skipped beat. I even exercised daily, quite hard too with no problems. Unfortunately, after 6 years, I started experiencing "side-effects". I was actually suffering from a Broad Complex Arrhythmia brought on by Flecainide. I had to stop them and now on Bisoprolol. Am now awaiting a PVI ablation

April 18, 2012 7:36 AM

For Atrial Fibrillation: I started on Flecainide in 2009. Started with 50mg twice a day. Atrial fibrillation episodes continued but when I stepped it up to 100mg twice a day, episodes kept at bay. Only problem is when I forgot a dose, then episodes happen and real bad rhythms to boot. Got to be on time each day with dosage, or else not protected. No side effects at all!

March 6, 2012 12:04 AM

For Atrial Fibrillation: Suffered from AF every few months for a couple of years before going on Flecainide with Metoprolol. It has been three years and have only experienced two very short (less than 1/2 hour episodes) and the occasional flutter. Have also been able to reduce dosage of both medicines without any effect. Minimal side effects. Life it much better.

January 29, 2012 12:44 AM

For Atrial Fibrillation: I have been taking minimum dosage for about a year. Every day I have flutters/flopping about an hour before and after dosing. I have not had other side effects but cannot figure out if I am experiencing maximum efficacy. Fortunately, I don't have severe atrial fibrillation episodes.

January 6, 2012 10:06 PM

Review by DonnaP620:

For Atrial Fibrillation: I have been on Flecainide 50 mg 2 x day for 1 year now. I have been asymptomatic with only occasional infrequent episodes that may last for up to 1 minute. It beats a pacemaker!

December 15, 2011 7:22 PM

Review by Babsarellajoya:

For Atrial Fibrillation: 5 episodes of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation in 3 years all resolved with iv flecainide in A&E. 6 more episodes in last last year all resolved within 3 hours at home by taking pill in pocket (i.e. 200 mg flecainide). Can't work out consistent trigger factor so avoid all known ones. Background treatment for hypertension with ramipril and beta blockers for rate control, but otherwise very fit and healthy 63 year old woman. Brilliant to be able to treat without hospital admission.

November 30, 2011 7:17 AM

For Atrial Flutter: Excellent result in preventing "atrial fibrillation" episodes, however I have developed a rash (head, neck, arms below elbow and lower legs) severe flushing and itching. Flecainide dose is 50 mg/day with 100 mg amiodarone four times/week. I am considering an ablation in hope of getting off the medicines.

November 27, 2011 9:57 PM

Review by maggiesgd:

For Atrial Fibrillation: No room to here get into my history of AF and flutter, so will make it short. Because of serious AF episode resulting in hospitalization, my cardiologist increased the Tambocor to 100 mg twice a day (had been on 50 twice a day for 3 or so years). Always had dizziness, shortness of breath and feeling unstable since taking this medication. However since increasing to the 200 mg a day, side effects increased and are getting worse. Just experienced the flashing lights today for first time. My search of flecainide and flashing lights brought me to this site. Thank you! Will reduce dose again to 100mg a day until I can see cardiologist next Wednesday.

November 18, 2011 12:12 PM

Review by Poupon:

Tambocor (flecainide) for Atrial Fibrillation: Initially it worked, with minimal side effects. But after one year I have virtually ALL known side effects for this medicine, including severe fatigue and shortness of breath - or inability to get a full breath. I attributed these to mold in our soil, due to construction, and did not look at side effects, until my EP's total lack of concern made me wonder if he was hiding something. I am SHOCKED by what I now read, and have no idea what to do - obviously, reporting to my EP is NOT the answer. My GP says she knows nothing about cardiology.

November 15, 2011 1:51 PM

For Atrial Fibrillation: I was having regular episodes of atrial fibrillation. Often 2-3 per day, lasting from a few minutes to several hours. Started on 100mg flecainide twice a day. Episodes stopped, but suffered from muscle soreness and felt tired all the time. Doctor dropped the dosage to 50mg twice a day. Symptoms lessened and have not had an episode in 5 years.

October 10, 2011 6:43 PM

Review by Bagrat:

For Atrial Fibrillation: I have been taking flecainide 100mg twice a day for 8 months. Had two episodes of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation prior to this - cardioverted within 12 hours with the first and converted to normal rhythm while waiting for a cardioversion the second time. No episodes of atrial fibrillation since, though I think I may be getting occasional ectopics (probably had them before but more vigilant now). Feel fit and well but holiday insurance is higher than my husband's now!

October 5, 2011 5:36 AM