User Reviews for Propafenone

Also known as: Rythmol, Rythmol SR

Learn more about Propafenone.

Atrial Fibrillation 25 reviews 34 medications

Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Propafenone reviews 28 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Propafenone

Review by Charlestex (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Atrial Fibrillation: I have been on this for almost 6 years due to atrial fibrillation and am a 49 year old male. I honestly can't tell if I have had any episodes of atrial fibrillation since being placed on this medicine but do remember feelings of anxiety in bed a handful of times. I take two doses per day and am also on Metoprolol that I take in the morning. One thing that struck me when I was first placed on this med back then was the doctor saying that one day it won't work anymore. So far to good but I am also concerned about the long term use but I guess it's the best option right now.

June 29, 2014 9:55 AM

Review by medstudentafib (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Atrial Fibrillation: I'm a 29 yo male who has had Supra Ventricular Tachycardia since I was 22. I've been on metoprolol ever since I was diagnosed. Over the past year I started having episodes of Atrial fibrillation, right when I started medical school. I was hesitant about an ablation, so my doc tried 150mg Propafenone every 8hr and it's been helping! I still take the metoprolol, but at a lower dose (to prevent 1:1 conduction), and it works great. I still get anxiety occasionally at night when I lay down and feel my heartbeat, but that's only because I was used to it happening every night. I'll probably still get the ablation, but I'm in no rush!

April 16, 2014 8:14 PM

For Atrial Fibrillation: Been on propafenone SR for 1 year. Prior, I had 3 Atrial fibrillation episodes, 2 needing cardioversion. One chemically converted 10 minutes prior while they were hooking me up. After that, they prescribed 225 SR 2x a day. No atrial fibrillation since. Also, I would get as many as 5 or 10 PVC's a minute, sometimes every 2nd or 3rd beat. With this medicine this is down to 10-20 per day, mostly not even noticeable. Although the atrial fibrillation is the main reason for the medicine, I actually find the lack of PVC's to be the most beneficial - reducing anxiety. Before the medicine, I was totally preoccupied with my heart rhythm. After the medicine, I feel 10 years younger.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by Grw57 (taken for 10 years or more):

Rythmol (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: Have had atrial fibrillation for 25 years. Tried a number a medicines and was on amiodarone for a few years but had to stop. Decided to give Rythmol a try, and have used it for more than 15 years. Have not had a noticeable attack of atrial fibrillation for many years, although I did land in emergency for another arrhythmia last year. This has been a life saver for me. Supply is getting to be an issue though.

November 28, 2013 1:46 PM

Review by oldie28:

For Ventricular Tachycardia: I take so many meds - rhythmol, coreg, levothyroxine, aspirin, statins - all of which have some of the listed propafenone side effects that I simply cannot know which is causing the effects or whether I have some other problems not shown in tests.. I have paroxysmal ventricular tachycardia, CAD one stent placed May 2010 RCA, hypothyroid and god knows what else. I'm 85 and can still do 30 mins aerobics daily and the same day feel sick as a dog, There must be tjousamds who cannot pìnpoint their side effects.. Come forward and comment please.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2013 11:09 AM

Review by SXD (taken for 10 years or more):

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: I've been on Rythmol 225 SR twice a day for over 8 years. My instances of Atrial Fibrillation are once or twice in a 6-month period. I am happy with the way it works!

June 2, 2013 12:43 PM

Review by PaulaBookGirl (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Ventricular Tachycardia: This medication has allowed me to avoid the ER/hospitalization for several years. Prior to taking it I was in the ER 2 to 3 times a year for uncontrolled tachycardia episodes.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2013 11:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: Had a miserable life for 15 yrs of waiting for my heart to go out of rhythm and in to the emergency room. Rythmal has changed my life, I experience a flutter here and there but no total outs, my anxiety has decreased as well.

December 26, 2012 10:52 AM

Review by gjb20:

For Atrial Fibrillation: I am a 67 year old female who was diagnosed with A-Fib and put on Rythmol in 1996. (Yes, I've been on it for 16 years). The doctor was about to do an ablation but decided to try Rythmol first. It put me back in rhythm and I did not have to have the ablation. I have since learned my triggers and try to avoid them. I've had 2 episodes worth mentioning in all this time. Once I became very overheated and once I had a shot of cortisone in both knees. I take 225 mg of propafenone every 8 hours (6, 2, and 10). It is a nuisance sometimes, but well worth the payoff. I sometimes even forget that I am a "heart patient".

April 21, 2012 5:39 PM

For Atrial Fibrillation: I was on Toprol XL for many years and one day it just stopped working. I had a procedure and things got worse. I started on Propafenone my heart is doing much better but I have a bad taste in my mouth that is better than heart problems. I also seem to have difficulty breathing. It is like I am to tired to breathe but I am hoping that feeling goes away because it is wonderful to have my heart beating regular.

January 19, 2012 11:09 PM

Review by Paul H:

Rythmol (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: I've been on Rythmol for Atrial Fibrillation for about 6 months. Initially, it wasn't working too well. I'd be in rhythm for a few days and go out for a day or more. After a few months of this I asked my Cardiologist if he could suggest another anti-arrhythmia drug but he suggested we give Rythmol more time. He increased my dosage gradually until I was taking the maximum dose, two 150mg tablets 3 times a day. I have been in rhythm for over two months now and I never had any side effects so I am very satisfied at this point.

August 13, 2011 12:38 AM

Review by itherni:

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: I'm a 58 year old male. I have taken Rhythmol for a year. I started having many different heart rhythms after having an implant for ASD. Every night I would sleep sitting up, could not work effectively, and was worried if this would eventually kill me. In a year I have had not one skip or erratic heart beat. This medicine is amazing and I feel wonderful. It does give you a metallic taste but it's a small price to pay.

June 18, 2011 5:09 PM

Rythmol (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: Rythmol caused my blood pressure and pulse to drop dangerously low. I was admitted in hospital for two days.

April 29, 2011 11:32 AM

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: I have been on Rythmol 425 for 9 months. It seems to have controlled my atrial fibrillation as I know of only a couple occurrences since I started the Rythmol. Side effects have diminished but still have bouts of fatigue and constipation. This medicine seems to be okay but I hate taking something continuously at 51 years old.

December 5, 2010 9:42 PM

Review by kerry 58:

For Atrial Fibrillation: Been taking this medicine for over a year and still have episodes of Atrial fibrillation that knock me off my feet and into bed at times.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2010 1:24 PM

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: Rythmol 325mg twice daily is my life saver after trying 3 others over past 8 years with 6 cardioversions.

August 7, 2010 1:28 AM

Review by ffordccw:

For Atrial Fibrillation: Second time that I have used this medicine. Had great success with Atrial fibrillation attack, lasted only 7 hours with no side effects.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 24, 2010 7:07 PM

Review by walkmann:

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: Atrial fibrillation onset 1997... have had 6 cardioversions since drugs would not convert to sinus rhythm. Started 325mg Rythmol SR 2x a day after last cardioversion (March 2007). Stopped drinking alcohol, and haven't had an episode since.

March 25, 2010 5:42 PM

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: My husband has been using this medicine (225 mg) for nearly 2 years now. No side effects, but still has an episode at least 1 to 2 times a month. His regular Doctor doesn't seem to know much about Rythmol, so thought about taking him to a specialist now that I read your other comments.

September 18, 2009 12:52 AM

Review by tmn3006:

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: I am a 64 year old male and have been using Rythmol since January 05. I started with the standard Rythmol 150mg 3 times a day. This was inconvenient so my doctor put me on Rythmol SR 225mg twice a day and I have been on this regimen for three years with absolutely no side effects and no recurrence of Atrial Fibrillation. My concern is long term effect. I am at 4 1/2 years on Rythmol and see one person on this site with 13 years. I would like ot know if there are any other long term users and what their results are. Do I need to try ablation?

August 6, 2009 9:26 AM

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: Since starting Rythmol SR 425 2.5 years ago, the percentage of time in atrial fibrillation has dropped from over 20% to under 3%. Absolutely no side effects. Glad I have insurance though and pay $120 for a 90 day supply, rather than over $1,000.

August 5, 2009 8:24 PM

Review by dvnott:

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Ventricular Tachycardia: I take 150mg propafenone twice daily for prolonged VT. My heart has been steady for five months. But I now see that this drug should not be used if there is a heart conduction problem. I have both LBBB and RBBB. I can find no guidance whether to keep on or stop it.

June 7, 2009 9:22 PM

Review by MarkBV51:

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: I have been on Rythmol SR for about 6 weeks now. I was originally diagnosed with Atrial Flutter, but after the ablation procedure for this, it was then determined that I had Atrial Fibrillation and was put on Rythmol SR. This drug does not "solve" or "cure" the problem - all it does is subside it temporarily. As a result, I am scheduled for an Atrial fibrillation Ablation procedure this month. I have also had numerous side effects (dizziness, and bad taste in mouth).

May 4, 2009 1:25 PM

Review by alanvega:

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: I have used Rythmol or Propafenone for over 13 years for atrial fibrillation with good results. I'm taking 225mg twice a day. I drink lots of coffee with no problems. Alcoholic beverages will trigger my atrial fibrillation 95% of the time so I know longer drink. Wine seems to be the worst culprit. I have thought about an ablation but since the Rythmol works so well, I'm hesitant to have the procedure.

April 29, 2009 4:45 PM

Review by MAD RUSSIAN:

Rythmol (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: The combo of atenolol in the morning and 1 propafanone at bedtime has stopped my atrial-fibrillation in its tracks!

August 25, 2008 7:26 PM