User Reviews for Paxil

7.2
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paxil reviews 389 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Paxil

For Anxiety "I have depression I suffered for many years in the dark big time. I was too scared to say anything. I finally had to say something. I am a male of course (got to hide those feelings). Things were getting very very bad. I talked to my doctor and a shrink and got me on 20 mgs of Paxil 15 years ago and it really does help with the hell I felt within for years. Please be patient. Hang in there one day at a time if I can do it you can too. I was really bad from what docs say. It takes time to adjust to the medicine but well worth it. Drinking and not taking reasonable care of yourself won't help at all. Live a cleaner life does make a difference. No guilt. The side effects are for me constipation and a bit of brain fog."

goldminer (taken for 10 years or more) February 5, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I've used Paxil when I was in my 20's for depression and anxiety. Paxil worked great for me. Side effects were loss of appetite for 2 weeks and taking long to ejaculate which I loved this side effect. Through the years I have been on and off Paxil with it working for me every time but I notice as I got into my 30's it made me very drowsy when taking it. Of all my time of taking Paxil I have never taken it for more than 3 months. I experience the brain zaps once only when I used it for the 1st time. Never had a problem going off Paxil since that 1st time. I would recommend Paxil for depression and definitely anxiety. However, the last time I took it in my 40's it was causing me stomach problem and made my throat feel scratchy all the time."

wesskid February 2, 2014

For Anxiety "I felt so much less anxious initially, so foolishly, and with doctors encouragement, I stayed on Paxil for 3-4 years. Two months ago, I started to ween myself off this medicine very slowly. I have never felt so bad in my 72 years of life. At first, I felt it must be the flu though I'd had a flu shot in November of last year (13). The withdrawal symptoms of nausea, vomiting, hot flashes. Not thinking clearly, fatigue, extremely vivid and frightening dreams, dizziness, and depression lasted 5-6 days. My doctor recommended that I go back on Paxil at half a tablet initially, and then a whole tablet after a week. So it has been two weeks now of my taking a 40mg. Dose each evening. I tried documenting my terrible experience."

Punkey January 31, 2014

For Anxiety "I started Paxil 37.5 mg ER. 2 weeks ago! I have never felt this good."

Happy on tennessee January 29, 2014

For Depression "I took Paxil for about 4 years. It was truly a life saver from the horrible depression I suffer from. However, after about 4 years it quit working, and my doc moved me to Bupropion. Paxil was terrible about causing me to randomly fall asleep. I had to pull off the road and nap MANY times. Also, almost no sex life while taking it. "

JohnHalo (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 28, 2014

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I have been taking Paxil CR for a few months. My doctor and I tried many many things. I think an entire year of my life was spent on playing with medications and dosages. I am currently taking 37.5 + 12.5 and have been for a while now. I haven't felt this "steady" in years. I can leave my apartment feeling "Free" now. I used to be borderline agoraphobic. I still have a long way to go but Paxil has done NOTHING but GOOD for me. Good Luck!"

RebornAGAIN January 22, 2014

For Depression "I began taking Paxil in addition to Celexa two years ago when I was 16. It is not bad--no stomach aches, weight gain, or horrible headaches--but I have noticed the total disappearance of my sex drive. Totally gone. This might be because of the Celexa as well. Not sure. I was taking 40mg Celexa, 20mg Paxil, 1 mg Ativan, and occasionally trazodone or doxepine to sleep, for a while and when I cut my dosage in half over the summer, I was a mess. Constant migraines and irritability. So I suggest that if you use Paxil, be careful to come off it slowly."

Teenage Depression (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2014

For Anxiety "My journey started around 17yrs ago when pregnant I suffered an episode and was put in hospital as my son was due, they gave me 150mg straight off of clomipramine, you can imagine how comatosed I was. Over the next few years I had many crashes on this drug, then about 7 years ago a dr prescribed Paxil, best thing could ever have happened, the positives out weigh the negatives with the side effects, I'm on 15mg would love to reduce again one day, but I'm happy to be stable and of sound mind."

Pebzz January 20, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress "Paxil has worked wonderfully for me. I now have a life due to it. I no longer feel like I'm being attacked by the world, so I no longer attack back. I finally have a life and I am finally happy with myself as well."

Fluffybunny January 16, 2014

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "Where to start, after losing two family members in a month I went into a deep off the charts depression according to my doctor--I was close to suicide because I felt so horrible, I lost 50lbs in just a few months, could not sleep or sit still. My mind raced from morning till night and I couldn't control it. I was a perfectly normal person prior to this. My doctor gave me Lexapro, HORRIBLE, I had a psychotic episode with that. I found a new doctor who specialized in Depression, he gave me 60mg of Paxil along with 10mg of Valium if needed. It took about 1 week to start feeling better and 3 months until I was my old self. I am still on 45mg 3 years later but am symptom free--I highly recommend Paxil--DON'T LET IT GET TOO BAD----SEEK HELP!"

Genesis667 January 15, 2014

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I have been on Paxil for two weeks and so far nothing. I take 10 mg in morning and another 12 hours later. I hope it kicks in soon. My anxiety has topped out causing my depression to increase. I have lost my appetite, lost 14 lbs. Seeing a psychologist in a week. I'm a mess."

Whalla (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2014

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I have had a good experience with Paxil thus far, and I wanted to put it out there because I think it's usually the bad experiences that prompt folks to write these reviews! I'd tried other SSRIs (Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Celexa), with bad results, so I was hesitant. I started on 10 mg/day for two weeks then went to 20mg. At first I didn't notice much, but by the third week my obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety were greatly quelled. I feel a general sense of well-being and satisfaction with life, yet I'm still productive/creative/ME. No ill side effects whatsoever. I hear the withdrawal is a bear, and I'll cross that bridge when I get there, but, so far so good."

fadedgenes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "Started off with a low dosage about 18 months ago now I am on 60 mg a day. Feeling a lot better now.."

gatorarea December 30, 2013

For Anxiety "Paxil is good medication when it kicks in, side effects for me are nausea, upset stomach but with time it goes away."

cranky1234 (taken for 10 years or more) December 19, 2013

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been on Paxil for several years. It helps in so many ways. To those that get sleepy ... try taking it at bedtime."

msdeby (taken for 10 years or more) December 13, 2013

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "Let me start off by saying that NOT EVERYONE reacts the same way to the same medication. NOW that being said, Paxil was a LIFE SAVER for me! I am 30 now, and I started taking Paxil when I was 19. The first medication Dr. tried for me was Zoloft, which made my Anxiety get SO much worse! I was terrified to being with feeling CONSTANT WORRY, fast heartbeat, racing thoughts. So after 3 days of Zoloft I quit, went back to my doctor and we tried Paxil. IT SAVED MY LIFE, I felt the unneeded worries of the world lift off of my back, racing thoughts stopped, my heartbeat slowed, I could organize my thoughts. It was like I had calmed down for the first time in my life AND IT WORKED IN HOURS FOR ME(don't expect same results, but you never know!)."

IrishKat November 24, 2013

186 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "This is my second time taking Paxil. For me, it is the only medication that has been effective in treating my anxiety. I've taken just about every medication for anxiety over the past 10 years. In my early 20s, I took Paxil for about 6 months and experienced sexual side effects but only gained about 5lbs. It was horrible to come off of Paxil and I experienced dizziness, headaches, and nausea. I am currently 29 and I started taking Paxil again about 5 months ago due to increased anxiety. While it has been effective in helping me to lead a normal life with minimal anxiety, it has caused horrible weight gain. I gained 15lbs in the past 3 months which is a lot for my petite frame at 5.1'. Due to the weight gain I am currently attempting stop"

Jamielynn84 November 17, 2013

For Panic Disorder "I have been taking Paxil for 3 years now. It has helped me very much. I'm 21 years old and have had no side effects from it. I'm glad to feel normal again. Without Paxil I would be an emotional wreck."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2013

For Anxiety "Well, the first time I had a major attack they put me on xanax but it messed with my head really badly and I had memory issues. My discharge papers noted that while medicated by it I had little to no acknowledgement of externally inflicted bodily harm/pain. What I do remember is waking up the next day with a swollen ankle and multiple bruises that hurry like hell from walking into things or just letting the car door close on me. Later, someone recommended me this treatment, and I%u2019m very grateful with it, i can go anywhere i want without problem, no anxiety, no panic attacks, I'm a new person."

bryan johnson (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 12, 2013

For Anxiety "My body was wrecked with anxiety and depression. I thought I was going to lose my mind .Five days days on paxil and I'm a new person"

jbat2007 (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2013

For Anxiety "Had severe panic attacks and agoraphobia out of nowhere. P doc put me on paxil. Really rough start up symptoms. Dizzy, SUPER spacey, lethargic, bad sweats. After a week or two at 30 mg I stabilized. Anxiety was a bit better, but still pretty bad. Eventually went off it because I was so lethargic and spacey. Felt depressed because I was such a zombie and didn't get excited or wanted to do anything."

anxious11111 November 1, 2013

For Depression "Bipolar, ADHD, OCD, etc. Many of the symptoms overlap and crossover into each other and others as well. Depression is found in each condition, and I find for myself that depression is by far the most debilitating condition of all. I first tried Paxil 12 years ago for depression and anxiety. The Paxil worked great. The side effects included a little nausea (which is basically eliminated by eating something with or soon after taking the med) and some sexual issues (which I believe can be negotiated after you get used to the Paxil). I quit taking it when I switched insurance and because of the perceived stigma I had with taking anything for conditions I didn't want to even acknowledge. Now I'm back on it and will keep it up!"

Marc love October 29, 2013

For Depression "I've been taking paroxetine for a week. I haven't felt like thus in years! I feel like myself again! The first few days I experienced nausea and dizzy spells and dry mouth. But now the only side effect is dry mouth. This is a Miracle drug!"

ash ren (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2013

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I have been on Paxil now for 10 months, I am on a high dose 40mg. However it is working wonders for me. I love how I feel, and my anxiety is a lot lower than it use to be, and I feel like I can operate in a normal fashion be it at work or out in a social situation. The draw back, is do not run out of your prescription, always be on top of it. I ran out of it, and the withdrawal side effects are not fun, for me I got really depressed and crying, and the headaches are horrible. I realize I will be on this prescription for a very long time. But for those who may not be, make sure you listen to your Dr. when getting off of it. It is not fun when not in your system. Again, Love love how I feel.."

Nhcoffeegirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 18, 2013

For Panic Disorder "I took 40 mg of Paxil for about 2 years over 11 years ago for panic, anxiety and moderate depression. It worked very well for me. I did take Xanax while the Paxil was building up in my body. After about 4 weeks I didn't need the Xanax any more. About 6 weeks ago my anxiety and panic began to increase to a point I knew I needed help in addition to my exercise, healthy eating etc. I went to my doctor to get Paxil. I started on 10 mg for a week and had increased anxiety, which I controlled with 0.25 mg of Xanax once a day. I went up to 20 mg on day 8 and had severe anxiety and bad thought for about 36 hours. Suddenly, just like that it was all gone. I now feel great! Some side effects, but worth the sanity!"

Healthcare Worker (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2013