User Reviews for Paxil

Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paxil reviews 351 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Paxil

Review by dc1530 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: I am trying to increase my Paxil dosage from 20 mg to 30 mg. I started in February and it still hasn't kicked in. Doctor gave me Clonazapem 3-1/2 months ago and it helped, but I stopped cold turkey per the doctor and I have been dealing with withdrawal side effects since then. Hopefully, Paxil will fully take effect soon. Each day is a struggle and it has wore me down waiting on the Paxil. I don't intend on taking any new medications if I can help it.

June 3, 2013 11:21 AM

Review by working lady (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Social Anxiety Disorder: I have had bad social anxiety from a very young age. It has affected my ability to obtain and maintain employment. I have tried Zoloft also, but it did not work near as well as Paxil does for me. Since taking Paxil, I have been working a new job for two months. I only give it a 9 because of the minor side effects, which I have been able to find a way around anyway. If your social anxiety is so bad that it affects your ability to support yourself, I would recommend Paxil. I am on 20mg. When I was taking 30mg the side effects were enough to make me switch to Zoloft for a while, but 20mg of Paxil is working great for me.

June 1, 2013 10:58 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: Nothing worked for my anxiety attacks except Paxil; my quality of life improved significantly with this.

May 31, 2013 4:39 PM

Review by CuriousCass2012 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I had taken Paxil when I was younger and it worked wonders with my depression and social disorder. However, this time around it is different, but still better with than without. My husband has been on it for close to 5 years. He used to be so angry all the time about everything, this helped him. It helped us because I am a person who does not do well with yelling and arguing. He did try to stop a few months back and it was terrible because his aggressiveness and irritability was off the wall, scarey. His mood swings came on quick and he realized he was better off staying on the Paxil. We are both on 40 mg a day.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2013 10:40 PM

Review by finabr:

For Depression: I know its working but I have really bad breath. Never before have I had a problem with that but know I cannot eat enough mints. I will take that side effect because I feel 100% better.

May 19, 2013 8:57 AM

Review by Lola Bella:

For Depression: I had been placed on depression pill upon depression pill and I seemed to be on an emotional roller coaster, then I was put on 20 mg Paxil. I have been on it now for almost four years and it has helped me through some down times. I was able to get through it the past years and am so grateful for it.

May 17, 2013 11:10 AM

Review by Brandi Mae:

For Anxiety: Paxil has been very helpful with my anxiety, I'm not so tired and am much happier. The only bad thing I have to say about it is if you miss 2 days or more of it- it has the worst side effects I requested a refill to late (so it was my own fault) but I got shocking feelings in my head and finger tips I was light headed all the time and there were a few day I would wake up from a nights sleep and automatically start crying for no reason. I'm still on it and intend on still using it. Just make sure there's no room for cold turkey off of Paxil

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 16, 2013 10:53 PM

Review by Hells Bells (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: The first few days were hard for me, very groggy and giggly, and my husband says I was totally useless but I was smiling, and then the fog lifted. It doesn't make the problems in your life magically vanish, but instead of freaking out over everything, I now only get upset when a "normal" person would, I now have healthy natural reactions to things. I can deal with my problems. I don't see problems in everything, everywhere. Aropax changed not only my life drastically but the lives of everyone who cares about me.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 10, 2013 10:21 AM

Review by Some guy:

For Anxiety: I started Paxil last week. First pills I've taken my whole life, I'm 24. It appears to be working. The 5th day I felt really up beat and good! So far I'm satisfied. No panic, anxiety or depression.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2013 1:14 AM

Review by paxil10yrs (taken for 10 years or more):

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking this for not only general anxiety but also for social anxiety, panic, and depression. My head must have needed this because I noticed a euphoric feeling after taking my first 10mg dose; within 15 minutes. Of course it won't get rid of the problems that plague you. But on a strictly how your head feels basis, for me this is a great medicine. I can relate to horror stories as I experienced those with Zoloft. Paxil makes me a little more comfortable in social settings and improves the quality of life in general. I'm a guy and it does diminish libido but I have managed to accept that.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 27, 2013 5:46 PM

Review by RenewedAgain (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: When I started Paxil 7 months ago I was clinically depressed. I had panic attacks that would come several times a day and my body was always tense. I had Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I was wrecked after an emotional trauma. My brain was on overdrive. Within the first 2 months on Paxil I kept a journal blogging symptoms and changes and after a while I realized I stopped writing altogether. I would always write when I was sad. The medicine kept being more effective as time went on but I eventually got a dose upage from 20mg to 30mg. I have never felt so happy, ever.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2013 8:24 PM

Review by Haley22:

For Anxiety: Paxil has helped me out immensely. At first I was really scared to try it because I was reading tons of bad experiences online, but then I decided I needed to do it. Well when I first started it I had a few side effects like the speedy feelings, the restlessness, the lack of appetite, and lack of sex drive and orgasm. Now I have been on them for 2 months and it is working out so great! I have not had any really bad side effects, and the ones that were there when I first started taking it are gone. This medicine has made my life so much more bearable and worked out great for me!

150 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2013 6:26 PM

Review by Hope4u (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: About 6-8 weeks ago my doc prescribed 10 mg paxil (Now up to 20 mg) & 0.25 Xanax. The first few weeks I was very, very fatigued! But since I was depressed, I was okay with sleeping the rest of the day after returning home from school. I did experience headaches, nausea, increased anxiety (Xanax helped alleviate anxiety). Within the last 2 weeks, I haven't taken Xanax, my anxiety has dramatically decreased! Depression has also decreased. A few months ago I was scared to leave the house, be around people, an emotional wreck, no motivation to work out. Now I'm happy to go to school, exercise, and be social again. Keep praying and hang in there!

165 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2013 9:05 PM

Review by Wessican (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking 30 mg of Paxil daily for about 4 years. It truly changed my life. I have had more issues with anxiety than depression, I couldn't sleep, I was angry all the time for no reason, I had constant pressure on my chest- Paxil put an end to the sleepless nights, nipped the depression in the bud and took my anxiety level down by about 90%. The only problems are if I miss a pill I get those nasty electric shock feelings, I feel like my emotions are almost a bit too subdued (can't cry, sometimes you got to pet or out) and lastly I have NO sex drive. For this reason I'm in the process of tapering off and my doctor is putting me on Viibryd. But if that doesn't work as well as Paxil I'll definitely switch back!

April 13, 2013 1:43 AM

Review by clrj:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have taken Paxil 10mg for 6 weeks for chronic post traumatic stress disorder. It has helped a lot already decreased my anxiety about 20%. I'm going to try to go up to 20mg and see how much that works, because my anxiety is still moderately high. The only side effect I got from it is sedation, I can take it and soon after I take it I fall asleep. It has also helped my depression, I can now start to function again. With this Paxil I'm almost out of my depression. I also took Celexa before Paxil and it worked for about a year and that was it, so that's why I'm on Paxil now, and it works 10 times better than Celexa.

April 7, 2013 10:33 PM

Review by Yell (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I started Paxil 1 week ago and I have only had one little attack. It has given me more energy for work! But I do find myself going home after work and taking a nap! The only bad thing about it so far is I'm clenching my jaw a lot causing my back teeth to hurt and can't really chew that well, may be why I am losing weight also! But it has made my life a lot easier so far! From before I'd have to miss work because of my anxiety!

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2013 9:33 AM

Review by FormerlyAnti-Meds (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: Hello again everyone! I have been on Paxil now for 9 weeks and it has still been a very beneficial addition to my life. I've started to feel like the real me now. I don't feel subdued or Zombied out like some people report. I started on 10mg then my Dr. moved me to 20mg about 2 weeks ago. The only main side effect I've had in transitioning to the higher dosage was severe mania for the first couple of days. It wore off significantly as the days passed. As for the weight gain that "Paxil causes", I think it's just that I'm not so anxious to the point of nausea and disgust in food. I love eating and enjoy my food again! My biggest positive in Paxil is that my generalized anxiety is SEVERELY reduced. Panic attacks are down 85% and I feel great!

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2013 1:25 PM

Review by wiscarpau:

For Anxiety: I've been taking 20 mg Paxil for about 11 years now for anxiety, and though it makes me calmer it has several side effects that I don't like. 1. Decreased libido/decreased orgasm 2. Constipation 3. Decreased energy. A friend of mine also told me I seem more "delayed" after I've been taking it regularly. Sometimes I take half a pill or skip days when I feel I need to get more things done, or I want my boyfriend to be happy. But I notice if I skip it for more than 3 days in a row I feel "crazy" and hyper and scattered. I definitely get more irritable when I'm not on it, but I "feel" more emotionally and notice I dance more often in the kitchen with my daughter when not under Paxil's control.

March 26, 2013 12:35 AM

Review by PerplexedRePaxil (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: I went on Paxil a year after father died 15 years ago. I was told it was non-addictive and started on a low-mid dosage, 20mg. It helped and was on it for about 10-12 years. I just accepted that I needed it. Everyone is correct about not missing doses - if I missed 2-3 days, I'd get very emotional, cry at drop of a hat, etc. - which I unfortunately took as proof that I needed to stay on it - I didn't understand it was the withdrawal effects! Over time, with ups/downs in career, I gradually increased dosages, going to 40 mg/day. In late 2010, after out of work for 2-3 years, I went back to general dr and he prescribed 60mg/day. Within a couple months, I was in downward spiral.

March 22, 2013 3:20 AM

Review by trishlm:

For Anxiety and Stress: I was able to cope with people better and it eased me from flying off the handle. The downfall was when I owed my Dr money and she refused to refill. The withdrawal is terrible and now I am back to the anger issue.

March 22, 2013 1:46 AM

Review by Happy B:

For Depression: Before taking Paxil, I was on several different antidepressants which didn't work. At one point I had to be hospitalized, but since being on Paxil I am no longer depressed. Only side effect that I have experienced is dry mouth. It has been 17 years that I have been symptom free!

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2013 11:04 AM

Review by Cat Guy:

For Panic Disorder: Works good for disassociation and also anxiety and panic attacks, however has a lot of sexual side effects as in your erections are gone, but also you won't be interested in sex. This was reversed for the most part (around 70%) after being off it for a year and being on Celexa instead. Celexa allows for erections, however lowers sex drive as well. Would always rather not be interested in sex than panic and fear stricken so I have to say Paxil worked.

March 20, 2013 5:43 PM

Review by notpaniced (taken for less than 1 month):

For Panic Disorder: Hi, I'm 36 yr old male and never had panic attacks or anxiety. About about 3 weeks ago I had a massive panic attack and then I started having chronic anxiety attacks that would last for most part of the starting from the very moment I wake up. My heart beat was constantly at 90 bpm, I lost weight very, very quickly and and had no energy left. Doctor gave me Xanax but it just made me sleepy. I thought the anxiety would never go away and that I'll lose my job and home and my independence. I went back to my doctor and he gave me Paxil, reluctantly, I started on 10mg for a week. I up'd my dose to 20mg on the 7th day, and until the 14th day no effect (only side effects) but then a miracle. My anxiety is all but gone on the 15th day and no panic.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2013 6:19 PM

Review by Amy3413:

For Anxiety: Paxil saved me from panic attacks and anxiety. It has worked for me for years. I would definitely recommend.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2013 6:47 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: Paxil worked well for the first few months and then stopped. My doc upped my dose and the same thing. I took it for 6 months from half a tab to two tabs a day. I gained 15lbs and became more depressed and lazy to the point that I wouldn't get out of bed. I also had side effects of agitation, vivid dreams, and problems concentrating. It did not worked great at first but is not for me.

March 5, 2013 8:29 PM