User Reviews for Paxil

7.2
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paxil reviews 370 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Paxil

For Anxiety "My body was wrecked with anxiety and depression. I thought I was going to lose my mind .Five days days on paxil and I'm a new person"

jbat2007 (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2013

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "Had severe panic attacks and agoraphobia out of nowhere. P doc put me on paxil. Really rough start up symptoms. Dizzy, SUPER spacey, lethargic, bad sweats. After a week or two at 30 mg I stabilized. Anxiety was a bit better, but still pretty bad. Eventually went off it because I was so lethargic and spacey. Felt depressed because I was such a zombie and didn't get excited or wanted to do anything."

anxious11111 November 1, 2013

For Depression "Bipolar, ADHD, OCD, etc. Many of the symptoms overlap and crossover into each other and others as well. Depression is found in each condition, and I find for myself that depression is by far the most debilitating condition of all. I first tried Paxil 12 years ago for depression and anxiety. The Paxil worked great. The side effects included a little nausea (which is basically eliminated by eating something with or soon after taking the med) and some sexual issues (which I believe can be negotiated after you get used to the Paxil). I quit taking it when I switched insurance and because of the perceived stigma I had with taking anything for conditions I didn't want to even acknowledge. Now I'm back on it and will keep it up!"

Marc love October 29, 2013

For Depression "I've been taking paroxetine for a week. I haven't felt like thus in years! I feel like myself again! The first few days I experienced nausea and dizzy spells and dry mouth. But now the only side effect is dry mouth. This is a Miracle drug!"

ash ren (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I have been on Paxil now for 10 months, I am on a high dose 40mg. However it is working wonders for me. I love how I feel, and my anxiety is a lot lower than it use to be, and I feel like I can operate in a normal fashion be it at work or out in a social situation. The draw back, is do not run out of your prescription, always be on top of it. I ran out of it, and the withdrawal side effects are not fun, for me I got really depressed and crying, and the headaches are horrible. I realize I will be on this prescription for a very long time. But for those who may not be, make sure you listen to your Dr. when getting off of it. It is not fun when not in your system. Again, Love love how I feel.."

Nhcoffeegirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 18, 2013

For Panic Disorder "I took 40 mg of Paxil for about 2 years over 11 years ago for panic, anxiety and moderate depression. It worked very well for me. I did take Xanax while the Paxil was building up in my body. After about 4 weeks I didn't need the Xanax any more. About 6 weeks ago my anxiety and panic began to increase to a point I knew I needed help in addition to my exercise, healthy eating etc. I went to my doctor to get Paxil. I started on 10 mg for a week and had increased anxiety, which I controlled with 0.25 mg of Xanax once a day. I went up to 20 mg on day 8 and had severe anxiety and bad thought for about 36 hours. Suddenly, just like that it was all gone. I now feel great! Some side effects, but worth the sanity!"

Healthcare Worker (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2013

For Anxiety "I have taken Paxil for years, my insurance company stopped paying for it, and the pharmacy put me on the generic, the worst thing that could have happened in three days I was an hysterical wreck (I was taking the generic). I started thinking of suicide. Someone else pointed out above something very important, if you miss a couple of days the side effects (withdrawal) is awful, I was never so sick in my life. If you can take the generic, great otherwise it is very very expensive, and NEVER forget to take it."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 15, 2013

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I have been on Paxil for about 15-16 yrs now. I have probably had social anxiety problems since grade school. It just got worse. Paxil is a good medicine for me but not sure at this point that 30 to 20 mg was a good weaning action. My social anxiety in AA has now increased due to decrease in medicine. When I look at the "good" Paxil has done, it far outweighs the "bad". Having social anxiety is something that can isolate a person. I am not perfect in that regard, but this medicine has definitely been a positive thing in my life. It's not perfect, as I have to work on myself constantly, but it has helped me!"

Man 47yrs old (taken for 10 years or more) August 29, 2013

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "Helps take the edge off anxiety to where I can control it better. Also helps my social anxiety a lot and little with obsessive compulsive disorder. Overall it helps a lot!"

lovicia August 1, 2013

For Anxiety "I have been on Paxil for 16 years now. I have always been really anxious throughout my life and it came to the point where it was affecting everything I did. Paxil has changed my life for the better and has really worked well for me. I plan on staying on it."

Anonymous July 29, 2013

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Panic Disorder "I took it for anxiety, panic disorder & depression. Made me suicidal."

BoDro July 28, 2013

For Anxiety and Stress "I started Paxil 6 days ago. I get married next month and my job switched me to sales. I couldn't take the stress- I went to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack, to find out it was anxiety. I've had chest pains, palpitations, obsessive nail biting and chewing. I couldn't take it any more. I've used 3 vacation days up just because of anxiety. Also I'm a 27 years old. Since I've started Paxil I've had a lot of side effects that I didn't associate with the medicine right away. I have trouble urinating even when I have to go badly. I've had short term memory loss like forgetting my work number, I feel hungover and dizzy, blurred vision, shakes, nausea, and inability to reach orgasm."

Jpat July 22, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I finally feel like I'm balanced now that I have been taking Paxil. Life before Paxil was not life. I have suffered from anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder since I was 8. I didn't start Paxil until I was 34 because of a divorce, but it truly has cured me. I no longer feel anxious, depressed, and the racing thoughts have diminished. I feel normal and rational. I do get very sleepy though while on Paxil, and I have found exercise to help combat that side effect. I don't know how my life would've turned out if I had been on this medicine a long time ago. I owe my life to this medicine."

Sammy3217 July 13, 2013

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I had anxiety with panic attacks since 10 years ago, treated with Xanax as needed. When my father got ill the stress level was so high Xanax was not working well. Paxil 5mg daily changed my life and no side effects. After 1 year in 10 mg works better."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 6, 2013

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My anxiety is pretty bad to the point it makes me feel ADHD, depressed and overall anxious. It's not that I dread or fear anything, it feels more like I'm in a constant panic attack, defensively bad mood! Then came Paxil and my life did a complete 180. I still have ADHD but as soon as I notice it acting up I'm able to laugh it off, stop, and reorganize to get back on track. I don't feel helpless or sad anymore. This runs on both sides of my family but more so on the maternal side. I "got better" so I stopped cold turkey. Do not do this. It is absolutely horrific and I experienced some of the worst silent panic attacks ever! Meedless to say, I am back on it and will never come off it again!"

Mega B without Paxil (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 3, 2013

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I am 41 and have had all manner of anxiety for most of my life. Usually this worsens as my self esteem drops. I have taken it twice in the past, once for about 3 years, and recently for about a year. I stopped taking it almost 8 months ago and I just went back on it yesterday. 20mgs and yesterday was the worst I ever remember feeling. Headache, restlessness, dry mouth (flu like symptoms), and I ate only because I needed to. I was not hungry. Couldn't sleep last night so I took 50 mgs of diphenhydramine and slept well. Today I feel much better! I am cutting to only 10mgs for a week and then back to the 20mgs. I have to say that when you are calling out from your job and afraid to go in stores, like myself, this medicine works!"

jmoney70 July 1, 2013

For Panic Disorder "I've been on Paxil for 5 years and it helped my Panic Attacks 100%. The good thing is that I can cope with the tremendous amount of stress I am under at work and home with my special needs son. I was going to a Naturopathic Physician and the natural remedies worked for a while and then stopped. I couldn't sleep much for four months and kept jumping out of my sleep with massive panic attacks. I started out on 10 mg and now cut my pills in half (5 mg) and it keeps me panic free. The negative side effects are sexual performance, weight gain and I feel the medicine is aging me. I now have occasional head shaking that upsets my wife. She wants me to get off this and I tried to a couple of times with renewal of panic attacks."

Paxiladdict June 24, 2013

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I was on Paxil for PTSD, social anxiety, and depression. It worked wonderfully for me and all my issues. However, I ran out over the weekend and had to wait until Monday to see the doctor and get my prescription filled. The problem with Paxil is it leaves your body in 25 hours. So 25 hours after your last dose TERRIBLE withdrawals kick in. I felt so angry for absolutely no reason. I got ready in the morning and broke my hair dryer, straightener, and brush. While waiting in the doctors office I felt like I was going to scream, cry, or assault random people in the waiting room. So that is what Paxil withdrawal was like for me. None of this is normal for me. When I'm in a low point I usually just feel sad and extremely anxious about being around people."

Cat on Ice (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2013

For Anxiety and Stress "I've been through several medicines including Abilify, Zoloft, clonazepam, Seroquel, Ativan, and several others. and this medicine it the most wonderful of all of them. With Paxil I feel so calm and just even toned. Is it possible something actually can work. I'm thinking genius! I can't thank you enough."

Tikitalons (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2013

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I am trying to increase my Paxil dosage from 20 mg to 30 mg. I started in February and it still hasn't kicked in. Doctor gave me Clonazapem 3-1/2 months ago and it helped, but I stopped cold turkey per the doctor and I have been dealing with withdrawal side effects since then. Hopefully, Paxil will fully take effect soon. Each day is a struggle and it has wore me down waiting on the Paxil. I don't intend on taking any new medications if I can help it."

dc1530 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 3, 2013

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I have had bad social anxiety from a very young age. It has affected my ability to obtain and maintain employment. I have tried Zoloft also, but it did not work near as well as Paxil does for me. Since taking Paxil, I have been working a new job for two months. I only give it a 9 because of the minor side effects, which I have been able to find a way around anyway. If your social anxiety is so bad that it affects your ability to support yourself, I would recommend Paxil. I am on 20mg. When I was taking 30mg the side effects were enough to make me switch to Zoloft for a while, but 20mg of Paxil is working great for me."

working lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2013

For Depression "Nothing worked for my anxiety attacks except Paxil; my quality of life improved significantly with this."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 31, 2013

For Depression "I had taken Paxil when I was younger and it worked wonders with my depression and social disorder. However, this time around it is different, but still better with than without. My husband has been on it for close to 5 years. He used to be so angry all the time about everything, this helped him. It helped us because I am a person who does not do well with yelling and arguing. He did try to stop a few months back and it was terrible because his aggressiveness and irritability was off the wall, scarey. His mood swings came on quick and he realized he was better off staying on the Paxil. We are both on 40 mg a day. "

CuriousCass2012 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 19, 2013

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I know its working but I have really bad breath. Never before have I had a problem with that but know I cannot eat enough mints. I will take that side effect because I feel 100% better."

finabr May 19, 2013

For Depression "I had been placed on depression pill upon depression pill and I seemed to be on an emotional roller coaster, then I was put on 20 mg Paxil. I have been on it now for almost four years and it has helped me through some down times. I was able to get through it the past years and am so grateful for it."

Lola Bella May 17, 2013