User Reviews for Paxil

Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paxil reviews 302 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Paxil

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: While paroxetine tended to keep my depression at bay; I wasn't functioning at a good level emotionally. Was on 20mg for approximately 4years, then 40mg for 3 months. When dosage was upped, I had major depressive episode (pretty much stayed in bed for 3 weeks) and realized that I had experiencing basically a "flat aspect" for quite some time. Also gained 20 lbs (105 to 125) in the 3 months on the 40mg. Horrible brain zaps if I missed a dose (20 or 40). Went back to 20mg for a week and have switched to Effexor (37.5/7days, then will be on 75mg daily). Mild zings and zaps for past few days as I've switched to the Effexor; was expecting a MUCH more horrendous transition as my zaps were extremely strong in the past.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 29, 2012 1:46 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: My general doctor gave me Paxil when I told her I had been having panic attacks and anxiety. I started on 10mg and when I hadn't noticed a difference after 6 weeks she upped the dose to 20mg. I still have anxiety day to day, and feel the beginning of a panic attack a lot, but am not able to go through with it. Sex drive completely gone. All I want to do is sleep. Depression worsened. This is not for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2012 4:44 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: While this medicine may not be for everyone, it's helped me immensely. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and depression. I was having intense mood swings where I'd alternate between being so anxious I couldn't sleep for days and then so depressed I couldn't get myself out of bed in the morning. I felt like I didn't matter anymore and that I could stay in bed all day since no one would realize I wasn't there. I started out on 10mg of Paxil for 4 days before increasing to 20mg. After a few weeks the effects started to wear off and I fell into a deep depression, so my dosage increased to 30mg a day. I take it before bed, and all my insomnia problems have gone away. It's done wonders for me. I have my life back.

April 6, 2012 12:19 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Paxil helped me a great deal. Took around 6 weeks to work but well worth the wait. I feel like a new person, highly recommended.

April 6, 2012 10:04 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Paxil worked absolute wonders for me for six years until 'pooping out' last year. After a disastrous few months on Zoloft I returned to paroxetine which again has made me 'return' to my old self. My alcohol increase (due to work issues) was almost certainly the cause for the medicine becoming ineffective and my return to anxiety and depression. Many reviews claim SSRI's don't work as well the 2nd time which is slightly true. I feel normal again without the 'serotonin high' I had first time around. Paxil/paroxetine is a miracle for me and though it has killed my sex drive and gained my weight slightly I cannot imagine life without.

April 3, 2012 4:46 PM
Review by fthtshy: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: This medicine made me emotionless. For the first couple of months I was fine and now I can't be happy when I want to or sad when I want to. I also have no sex drive. I'm on Paxil for anxiety, but because it works as a mood stabilizer as well it took away my personality.

March 31, 2012 7:17 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Have had problems with social anxiety since I was a teenager and I must say after trying Paxil, Seroquel, Zoloft and Wellbutrin, Paxil is by far the best. Only big catch is don't miss a dose you will have a panic attack.

March 27, 2012 3:49 PM
Review by slyla: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I've been on it for a few days now in an attempt to get off Zoloft. I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety as a result of PMDD. Today I took a very low dose while tapering off Zoloft and its not pleasurable at all. I'm nauseous, extreme dry mouth and severe anxiety. I work with the public and felt so jittery that I couldn't work. I am willing to tough it out with some support and compassion from my family, friends and co-workers but I don't like feeling like something is controlling my ability to function. I really hope it improves.

March 10, 2012 6:30 PM
Review by interpreter 101: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I have been on Paxil 6 weeks now. I am feeling so much better it is a miracle. In this experience I realized that I had some issues that I needed to face and some grudges that I needed to let go that had built up over the years. I thought that I would never experience another normal day again because my anxiety attacks and depression were so severe I thought my life was over. I tried to avoid taking medicines and fighting my anxiety off myself but anxiety started to take over my life.

March 5, 2012 11:16 AM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Paxil has saved my life. After my fathers death, I was in a major depression and suffered for panic attacks for 6 years. I used alcohol and drugs to numb of the reality. I finally decided to get my head straight and started using Paxil 30mg. I feel like a million bucks, everyday I wake up I'm happy and excited for what the day may bring. It does bother me that I have to rely on a drug to feel normal, but it is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I plan on staying on it for the rest of my life. I see it as I have a problem with my brain so I need a pill to fix it, just as a diabetic needs insulin. Thank you Paxil for giving me my life back. I highly recommend this medicine to anyone suffering from severe depression & anxiety.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 10, 2012 9:22 PM
Review by iknowuraliar:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Been on Paxil almost 2 years. Been taking it in the morning the whole time. Have to take a 2 hour nap everyday round lunch time. I'm switching to night time to see if it helps. I gained 50lbs and I'm emotionless, however I like that because I'm no longer screaming at my kids about every little thing and never cry like I use too. Had a hard time reaching orgasm the first few months, but side effect does pass. I take 20mg and when I feel myself fixing to have a fit I take an extra 10mg. I love my Paxil, just hate the tiredness and weight gain. Highly recommended.

February 9, 2012 6:14 AM
Review by JanR37: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have had a chronic depression since I was about 2 years old. Paxil lifted the feelings of always walking around in depression and changed them to a normal level of feelings and emotions! Who could ask for more?

January 29, 2012 1:38 PM
Review by Jb1997:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Paxil is wonderful I am 14 years old and have anxiety and deppresion. This month has been wonderful but I have to get a higher dose of Paxil because my body got use to it. It made me feel like I was normal but the begging side effects were tiredness. Felt like I was on a boat, hard to breath and blured vision. But after 2 weeks my body to got used to it, I feel like a new person.

January 25, 2012 6:50 PM
Review by jvaski: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I used Paxil twice for depression and mood swings while on chemo therapy. Both times I only used half the min dose (5mg/day) and it did help considerably reduce anxiety and depression associated with being on extended chemotherapy. It also controlled anger and road-rage associated with chemo therapy. Recently I tried Paxil a third time in preparation for another round of chemo - and Paxil made me feel lousy after a few weeks taking it. I stopped and switched to Celexa. Both previous times when Paxil did work I made the serious mistake of stopping it abruptly. I had to go back on it and gradually reduce the dosage by splitting pills over two weeks. I'd give Paxil a rating of 10 had I not had problems with it this time.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 15, 2012 1:46 AM
Review by Medicated1111: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I took Paxil for 10 years. Started on 20mg and had intense anxiety, confusion, panic. Doctor insisted it was all in my head. Therapist told me to cut the dose in 1/2. Felt somewhat better. Went up to 20mg after a few months and began to get brain zaps. A close friend told me I had lost my personality. Slept 10-14 hrs a night and frustrated my partner because of sleeping, no sex drive and no ability to feel sexual pleasure. Effects of alcohol intensified- passed out from 2 drinks or became over-emotional. Tapered from 20mg to 0 slowly over the 10 yrs. Each tiny decrease resulted in ~2wk period of increased anxiety. I think overall it numbed the panic but CBT therapy and getting older may have been more or similarly effective.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 12, 2012 12:48 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Paroxetine worked absolute wonders for me when I first started the paroxetine 6 years ago. My mood elevated so high to the point of work colleagues questioning my 'nightclub activities'. The 'serotonin high' also made me aggressively confident and involved a few flashpoints including a physical fight- my first for 15 years. While it worked it was GREAT. However, it lost it's efficacy suddenly a few months ago and I was prescribed sertraline/Zoloft which was a disaster. Headaches, Nausea and insomnia was my bodies reaction to this medicine. Have now been put on citalopram and hoping this will be effective. My doctor suggested I may try paroxetine again if I don't respond to citalopram.

January 11, 2012 4:33 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I first took Paxil in high school for minor depression but weaned myself off of it in college. About a year later I began having awful, day-long panic attacks which caused me to take two months off from school. So back on the Paxil I went, knowing that I would probably be taking it for life. I have tried several other medicines as well, but they didn't work for me. Paxil is the only thing that makes me feel "normal" and clear-headed. If I don't take it for a couple of days I do start feeling a little light-headed and anxious, so I wouldn't ever quit cold-turkey. I recommend trying a few different medicines if the first ones aren't a perfect fit, everyone is unique, and Paxil works for me.

January 9, 2012 2:49 PM
Review by penny1234: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: Took away hot flashes, but drowsy during the day. I just started this medicine 5 days ago. I hope that side effect leaves, it's like walking in a fog.

January 9, 2012 12:29 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: When my doctor asked me how I felt my Paxil 20mg was working (after being in Wellbutrin unsuccessfully for two years) I could only explain it as "someone finally washed both sides of the windows". Other medicines (Zoloft) helped with some anxiety but left me still depressed. Still others (Celexa) helped with the depression but the anxiety was left uncontrolled. I finally feel like I am back on track to take control of my life. I am pretty sure some dosage adjustments still need to be done, but I am amazed at the past four months on Paxil and what a difference it has made. The minor OCD I was experiencing is gone, the anxiety is a minimum and the depression no longer rules every day. I wish I would have done this for myself and my family years ago.

January 7, 2012 6:01 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Weight gain, no positive aspects for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 27, 2011 4:33 PM
Review by paxilperfect: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Thanx to Paxil I'm still here to type this comment, it saved my life. I was started on 20mg but had to go up to 40mg (max dose) for about 3 years after which I was slowly dropped down to 20mg, then right down to 10mg, which I was on for awhile then down to 5mg and eventually went off the medication. The times I did miss my dosage it was usually the second day when the zaps started along with the feeling of vertigo. The half life of this medicine is very short about 3 days that's why people feel withdrawal symptoms so quickly but I've found quite tolerable for the good it has done for me. A wonderful medication!

December 15, 2011 9:14 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I've been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and have been taking Paxil for about 3 months. When I first began the medication I completely lost my appetite. I dropped 10 pounds within the first 2 weeks without even trying. After about a month it leveled back out. However, even after 3 months I still don't sleep well on it. It has also taken a toll on my sex drive. I'm in the process of quitting Paxil to try something new. You do not want to quit this medication suddenly. You will experience terrible withdrawal symptoms. Even though I am quitting gradually they are still quite intense.

November 21, 2011 12:28 AM
Review by Kayx03: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: Helps me with being able to go out without thinking everyone is looking or talking about me, more confident and less hot flushes and palpitations, however all I do is sleep. I'm going to bed about 8 at night and waking up at half 7, almost falling asleep during work. Great for people who can't sleep well but for me I don't want to spend the rest of my life in bed! Also I would advise not to drink alcohol with this, seriously blank outs no matter how much you drink. You don't realize till the next morning that you can't remember a thing which is a horrible experience. Going to try to come off this gradually.

November 17, 2011 3:59 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: About 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder. After a year or so on Desipramine, my shrink switched me to Paxil. I've been taking 20mg/day for years now. It saved my life. About 10 years ago, after moving to a different State, I slowly weaned myself off Paxil at the suggestion of my former primary care physician. In less than one year, I started having panic attacks again. Long story short: I'm on Paxil 20 mg/day for life. It doesn't not make sense to suffer with Panic Disorder.

November 16, 2011 7:07 PM
Review by Freed: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have been on it for almost nine years now. I started having anxiety about 10 years before then and I struggled through almost anything I set to do. Since my doctor put me on paroxetine, I've been myself again. Totally calm. Can't believe I didn't get to know about it earlier. It's a God send.

October 30, 2011 4:19 PM