User Reviews for Paxil

Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paxil reviews 329 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paxil

Review by dc1530:

For Anxiety: I was diagnosed with severe depression. I am 61 years old, and I had no previous problems. I started on Paxil 14 months ago. It took 3 months to take full effect. My doctor started me on 20 mg and then 30 mg to kick start it, and it worked. I tried to wean off, but I went too fast. I just went back to 30 mg a day (20/9pm 10/7am) a week ago. It hasn't taken full effect yet. I would recommend Paxil, but realize that this medication is very slow to work and dosage changes take time. Everyone is different. It has helped me, but it has been a long road.

February 20, 2013 9:50 AM

Review by sweetsuckle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: This is by far the best medication I've ever taken for my anxiety. It doesn't cause any weird side effects and it makes me a happier less stressed person all around. I had to stop taking it when I got pregnant but when I have my baby I plan to get back on my medication.

February 15, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by FormerlyAnti-Meds (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have had very bad anxiety and subsequent depression now for about 8 years. I also come from a background of extreme emotional abuse which I think was the largest contributor of my panic and high anxiety and fear. I just began Paxil last week....WOW...I really don't know why I waited so long to seek medication advice. Unfortunately it took a suicide attempt to get me where I am today but even after 1 WEEK I feel just so much better. I'm not having severe side effects becasue my Dr. told me to start gradual, which I did and I think that lessened the side effects signifigantly! I will keep updating with my progress but so far so good!

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2013 5:46 AM

Review by Hannabanana:

For Anxiety: It's only been one week since starting Paxil (20mg) and I can honestly say I feel great! I have no side effects. I will post once a week and let you know my progress!!

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2013 4:11 PM

Review by 1st Grade Teacher (taken for 10 years or more):

For Panic Disorder: I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder in 2001. I immediately started taking Paxil. At 40mg/day I felt GREAT! No more panic attacks and my concentration improved significantly! For those that find that Paxil does NOT work, please have your thyroid checked. Thyroid problems are closely interconnected with anxiety/depression disorders! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Autoimmune Disease of the Thyroid as well as Hypothyroid (underactive thyroid) at the same time I was diagnosed with my Panic Disorder. My Paxil combined with Synthroid (a thyroid hormone) has put me back to normal. It's been 11 years now! Cheers!

December 28, 2012 9:39 PM

Review by CP15856 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: After about one week I was out and active. Engaging with others again and doing much better at work. I also do not have the desire to sleep all day. I have lost weight also due to increased exercise and a minimal loss of appetite. Side effects are minimal, but sex is impossible. I take Paxil 40mg once a day and Xanax 1mg twice. I am a new person! I tried Prozac, Effexor, Seroquel and Lamictal with few benefits. Paxil is by far the best medicine I have ever tried. I am nervous however when I read about the horrible side effects of missed doses and stopping Paxil.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2012 9:03 AM

Review by PurpleBondGirl (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Caused me to have very bad headaches. Light sensitivity. Dizziness.

December 6, 2012 12:36 PM

Review by cellamonster (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: This has been a miracle for me. I've been on it for two weeks and its already helping. The only thing is I have terr

December 1, 2012 1:30 PM

Review by nopaxil (taken for less than 1 month):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Paxil was a nightmare for me. I took it for 1 week and I could not sleep for more than 2 hours at a stretch and experienced even more intense anxiety. For the first time in my life I felt suicidal with increased racing thoughts. It wasn't for me. Maybe I should've hung in there longer, but I was concerned about my own safety.

November 18, 2012 10:08 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: Had terrible dreams like they were actually real. Felt like I was in a cloud all the time

November 1, 2012 11:16 AM

Review by Summer1989 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Anxiety: I first tried Paxil in 2003, after trying everything and I do mean every antidepressant on the market. I couldn't believe in less than a week I was already feeling relief. My mistake: I kept going on and off of it. It eventually stopped helping. So for 3 years I went on Celexa, which helped less than Paxil but more than others. Recently I began getting severe generalized anxiety dsorder along with my Depression. I finally decided to give the Paxil a try again since so much time had lapsed since I'd been on it. Well...it worked again. Feeling better than I have in a long time. Message: Everybody is different so Paxil won't work for all. But if it does you..STAY ON IT. Don't try the on and off thing. Good Luck!

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2012 4:39 PM

Review by College Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Social Anxiety Disorder: Paxil has changed my life! Before: paranoia about people watching me, extreme anxiety walking or being in public places, such as cafeterias, college campus, small groups of people. Mind blankness during conversations, or "social lock up" - inability to interact with others due to severe anxiety. Always woke up feeling tired even if I had a full nights sleep. Side Effects (lasted 2 weeks): 20mg daily. Severe fatigue/sleepiness. A little dizziness if dose was taken late. Headache the 1st two days. Now: Began working really well 7-8 weeks in. No more social anxiety, I feel normal walking around & talking to people. Also I sleep better than ever. Overall anxiety level has gone down & I no longer ruminate/worry constantly! Paxil rocks!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2012 10:46 AM

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: My son started this almost 3 months ago, he is 17. It had helped him alot! He was throwing up at bus stop with just thinking of going to school. Constantly had stomach cramps and "the runs". He would never go into a restaurant or a store and he is getting better at both. I'm so glad for him because of this medicine, it gave him his life back.

October 19, 2012 2:33 PM

Review by rmaxwell9 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: If you read the other reviews, they are all correct in saying you must NEVER stop taking this medication suddenly. Coming off this medicine was one of the most difficult things. You must do it very slowly and possibly add some other medications to ease the side effects. It's so important to have a good doctor to guide you.

October 15, 2012 8:53 AM

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Paxil was an absolute life changer for me 8 years before 'pooping out' last year. Alcohol abuse was almost certainly the cause of it's ineffectiveness & I have learned my lesson. Many negative reviews on the web describe the severe withdrawal symptoms. I count myself lucky that Paxil worked wonders for me WITHOUT any withdrawal periods. Not everyone experiences this withdrawal so if you're here reading experiences & worrying about possible future withdrawal don't assume it will happen to you. I am now on mirtazapine which is ok but I really miss the feel good 'boost' & confidence that Paxil gave me. I used to call this my 'serotonin high'. I hope to find another SSRI that worked similar to Paxil for me. Zoloft & citalopram failed.

October 9, 2012 6:16 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: It has been incredibly helpful with depression, muscle tension, PMS, and premenopause and decreased migraines. I take 25mg extended release.

October 8, 2012 9:11 PM

Review by SaraxoJDqt (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Took this med for a month at 20mg and I was one of those who began to notice positive effects overnight. It improved my mood exponentially and since I've never had a sex drive (from depression) I actually gained one while on Paxil. Sex was much more pleasurable. Unfortunately I thought I could find a med that was even BETTER, so was put on Cymbalta and Abilify, but have had miniscule improvements. Tomorrow I'm going to start back up on the Paxil.

September 27, 2012 8:33 PM

For Hot Flashes: I have been going through menopause for over 8 years now. I have tried everything during that time. Each medicine worked for a certain time frame, then it was no longer effective. After reading a research study about the effects of Paxil to ease hot flashes I decided to give it a try. Paxil knocked the severe flashes out while decreasing the frequency and severity of the flashes that still occur. Also, Paxil calmed my stress/anxiety which also contributed to the decrease in frequency.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2012 8:51 AM

Review by Rappman (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I went to my primary doctor for a check up. I told him that I just was not feeling right. He referred me to the mental health clinic. The doctor there asked me a lot of questions about how I felt, was I suicidal. Discussed my military life. And any combat experience. That was to check on PTSD. She started me on Paxil. I had the usual side effects of dry mouth, couldn't sleep, excessive urination, constipation, and diarrhea. But I got over the side effects when my body got used to the medication. One of the main problems with this medication is that I cannot get an erection and cannot orgasm.

September 8, 2012 10:36 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Simply amazing. This pill really has helped me gain control of my once terrible anxiety disorder. Sure, it made me gain a LITTLE bit of weight, but my mental health is worth those 5lbs! It's very effective, without turning me into a zombie. I can function normally, and even better than I have in a long time.

August 13, 2012 3:04 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Social Anxiety Disorder: I don't think Paxil ever worked for me and it always made me feel really bad but I think my social anxiety was a lot better but I feel much better now without Paxil and I'm on Zeldox and Lamictal but I'm getting pretty bad anxiety so I'm trying to find a good medication for anxiety and especially social anxiety because it makes me feel really bad at university. I was on Paxil, Risperdal, Lamictal and Zeldox before and I was always extremely tired and I think I'm less tired now but I can't remember how tired I was before and I was on Paxil when I was 13 and it also made me feel really bad and didn't do anything for my depression and it didn't help. I'm 24 now.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 27, 2012 9:01 PM

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I've tried almost all the anxiety medications out there. Paxil and Effexor XR are the only ones that work on me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2012 11:52 AM

Review by mwm1998medicaded (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: The only medication that stops most of the noise and unnecessary thoughts in my head.

June 26, 2012 11:22 PM

Review by discochick (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I was prescribed this medication initially for depression and then along with another medication for atypical depression and panic disorder. I had to give it some stars because it did help with the anxiety. Problem was I had no life. No sex drive. Emotionally flat. Slept 12-16 hrs a day (I craved sleep all the time) and ate non stop eventually gaining 80 lbs. Finally my husband encouraged me to go off it. I tapered the dose and experienced brain zaps and generally weird feelings for several weeks.

May 31, 2012 6:41 PM

Review by traleen (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Changed my life. Confidence, weight loss, anxiety-free.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2012 10:53 PM