User Reviews for Singulair

Learn more about Singulair.

Bronchospasm Prophylaxis 2 reviews 14 medications

Asthma, Maintenance 32 reviews 111 medications

Hay Fever 27 reviews 797 medications

7.9
Asthma 30 reviews 123 medications

6.9
Summary of Singulair reviews 91 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Singulair

For Asthma, Maintenance "I've been stepping up and up since I was diagnosed with asthma. First it was just Ventolin, then we added Clenil Modulite, then Seretide 50/25 at Christmas, up to Seretide 125/25 a few weeks later, adding in Avamys nasal spray for hayfever and Acrivastine for hayfever and Type 1 latex allergy, then finally adding on Montelukast. Sadly, unlike some of the other people on here, I haven't been able to get down to just Montelukast. However, I'd say it's a miracle pill! I play ice hockey and overnight I went from tight chest and coughing and wheezing after hockey (I have CVA so wheezing is weird) to being totally fine. I still struggle if I max out, so I have to change out regularly but I play forward so that's easy enough. It's just great!!!"

servewithmintsauce (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2015

For Asthma, Maintenance "I suffered from asthma for long time, after taking Singular all gone Thank you!"

nloza13 June 18, 2015

For Asthma "Worst experience of my life by far! First off you can expect to have side affects 4-6 weeks after you last dose. I had to be put on anxiety medication because I became extremely distraught. I had night terrors thoughts of hurting myself and other even my dog. I managed to separate those thoughts from who I knew I was but the emotional impact is so real. I also became paranoid that I was someone I was not! Best advice is first get on an anxiety medication so that you can deal with the daily thoughts. I'm not saying stay on it forever just while you wait out those weeks. Other key thing is have somone you can call 24/7 and talk to about the thoughts that know how you are regularly. Luckly I still have my mother."

Keeping the faith May 4, 2015

For Asthma "I use singular every night to help with my allergies and ASTHMA."

Arkjd2011 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 3, 2015

For Hay Fever "Been suffering from ETD for about two years. I've been on Singulair for about 4 months and it has dramatically improved my symptoms, no more ear crackling. Occasional tiredness and headache but it's tolerable. It has helped me tremendously."

Casscadav April 7, 2015

For Asthma "Started Singulair approx 1 wk ago. I will say it's an asthma miracle, but the side effects are unreal. I had extreme irritability (out of character for me) severe fatigue when normally active, mood changes, depression, anxiety. I wish doctors would really explain this to new users thanks to all of you who reviewd this medicine and gave me insite on what was going on, that's the reason for my post too. "

Kdugan11 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2015

For Asthma, Maintenance "I'm on Singulair for asthma (I've grown out of it mostly) and for allergy/rhinitis maintenance. It works wonders! I also lived in China for two years and it was critical for me managing the monthly colds I would get there. This stuff really keeps congestion and allergies at bay, love it!"

SarahT0908 February 2, 2015

For Asthma, Maintenance "My 6 yr old son has been in and out of the hospital since he was a baby with breathing problems. He was officially diagnosed with asthma when he was 2. He had been flown to a children's hospital and that's where he was diagnosed. He was put on a Flovent inhaler. This cut down on our ER trips, but not totally. We figured out that his asthma attacks were triggered by wind storms, allergy related things etc. They then put him on Singulair. I call it the Magic Pill!!!! We have not been to the ER in 2 years!! No side effects that we can tell. "

Italian Mama (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2015

For Hay Fever "This stuff works pretty well, lets me sleep through the night during allergy season."

Tree pollen sufferer (taken for 10 years or more) November 30, 2014

For Asthma "I started Singulair 10 weeks ago. Since taking I have absolutely no wheezing and feel great. I have been very ill with asthma for the past 12 mths where I have been unable to come off prednisolone & notice almost straight away when coming off it. I have been able to walk without getting out of breath for the first time in years. I must say my specialist has also at the same time started me on Xovial spray and will ween me off that in a week to see if it is the Singulair making me well!"

Raels (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2014

For Asthma, Maintenance "Had a bad reaction of hives and burning skin to this medicine. Tried it twice, worse reaction second time. Not good."

6Kayem (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2014

For Hay Fever "I'm 49 and have suffered from allergic symptoms ever since I was a kid. Unquestionably it has reduced the quality of life. Anti-histimines were basically ineffective although I could significantly reduce my symptoms by a strict diet that was in the making over the last 30 years by observation (try eating foods high in anti oxidants). I do feel much better since taking Singulair, my nasal congestion is much better, feel no side effects. My only regret is not trying it earlier."

say1706 October 27, 2014

For Asthma "After years on inhalers, my doctor gave me this & I hardly ever have to use an inhaler anymore"

Mandie161312 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 28, 2014

For Asthma "I was on Singulair for about a year, when my medical aid would all of a sudden only pay for Tropaz (I believe it is a generic). Tropaz was equally effective, but after about six months of use I developed terribly dry and burning lips. I went of Tropaz for about six months, and started using it again. My lips were fine and for a couple of months I had no side-effects. The medical aid then changed from Tropaz to Minair and within 2 two months I had a disastrous allergen of hives and welts."

Ida van Rensburg (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2014

For Asthma "Thank God for Singulair. I got my life back. My asthma was so bad I was afraid to go anywhere without my nebulizer. Now my asthma is almost non-existent. I have no side effects and feel great. I just wish I would have had this medicine many years earlier, it would have saved many trips to the emergency room and much suffering and panic. "

stcarolyn (taken for 10 years or more) November 29, 2013

For Asthma, Maintenance "Have been on Singulair since it came on the market in Aust years ago. I call it my Magic pill with no obvious side effects despite having many other allergies. I didn't find it helped my hay fever though so take 1/2an antihistamine as well in summer when humid and winter when smoke from fires around. I went from high dose cortisone puffers and using Ventolin most of the day still being breathless and wheezing all the time to breathing free within 4 days of starting and off all puffers within the week. Due to cost about a year in was running out so cut down to 1/2 tablet which still left me free of the asthma so then tried a 1/4 and found this still worked, so have continued on this since then. ( to be continued as not enough space)"

Judi,Aussie October 29, 2013

For Asthma "I am 63 and have used this for years. Works great for me with no side effects."

longbow767 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 4, 2013

For Hay Fever "I have had allergies and severe chronic nasal congestion on and off for over a decade now. To the point that all over the counter meds don't work. Even paired with a nasal spray I got no relief. About a week ago, what my doctor suggested was to continue using Claritin-D, along with Flonase, and prescribed Singulair as a supplemental. For the first time in a very very long time I slept through the night without waking up gasping because I couldn't breathe due to the congestion and pressure. Also, I am able to work without disturbing my coworkers due to the constant nose blowing, sneezing and coughing."

Anony.mouse August 21, 2013

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have been on cortisteroids for about 10 years due to asthma and allergies, many times bronchitis and pneumonia. Asthma very bad this year and have increased use of Symbicort up to 8 inhalations per day, usually 4, no better so doctor prescribed Singular on Monday and 4 days later feeling somewhat clearer but producing more sputum, itchy and trouble resting very hyper. I will try to stay on it for another 7 days to see if it settles as per the pharmacist. "

Loopy-Linda (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2013

For Hay Fever "I had an allergic reaction to several medications, each including Yellow #6 and Yellow #10 dyes in the gel coating on the medications. The reaction was a rash on my stomach along the waist band of my underwear and my pants, under my bra band, my arm pits. Anywhere there was a lot of warmth on my body or a lot of chafing from clothing. The rash was also darkly pigmented. Each time I stopped a medication that gave me a rash, it took approximately 8-9 weeks for the rash to go away. After figuring out what was causing it, my doctor prescribed Singulair (chewable) combined with Atarax. The Atarax was to help me sleep and keep from scratching at night. After 10 days, the rash is gone. I can stop the medication in another week or so."

CKLeanne (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2013

For Hay Fever "Started taking Singulair with Zyrtec 3 weeks ago for a severe allergy I developed to my 3 pet rabbits. No side effects to speak of (I did have a headache one day, but I don't think it's related) and today I held one of my bunnies for the first time in 6 months without allergy symptoms. Now I don't have to get rid of some beloved family members!"

ravenlady13 August 2, 2013

For Hay Fever "I started taking Singulair 2 weeks ago, because of sinus headaches, red itchy eyes and allergies. Also use Zyrtec and Patanol. It has worked great, until I figured out that the stomachache I have had for the last 10 days is because of it. I have stopped the medicine."

JoJo619 June 29, 2013

For Asthma "I was prescribed this for asthma. I suffer from really bad cedar fever which is a problem in Texas. I am a rather slim female and at first my doctor gave me the regular adult dosage. It was too strong. I had heart palpitations and almost called 911 once after taking it. I requested my doctor give me an adolescents strength dosage - which he did. That worked much better. It still is a very strong and it knocked me out, but I didn't have to worry about calling 911 or not waking up from it. Asthma is tough to treat. Medicine is necessary, but sometimes the meds are as bad as the disease. My advice is to start with the lowest dosage your doctor thinks will work. You can always take more if necessary."

Dallas Nadja (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2013

For Asthma, Maintenance "Singulair has been a blessing for my asthma. However when I was switched to the generic, in October, all of my asthma symptoms came back. Wheezing, shortness of breath, use of inhaler (which I only used prior to exercise) several times a day. My doctor has written me a prescription for brand Singulair. The pharmacy gave me the three pills they had in stock and ordered the rest to come in tomorrow. I did the same thing a few weeks ago with another pharmacy and their distributor no longer carries the brand. Hopefully this will not happen again tomorrow and I can go back on the brand Singulair. Since the problem with the generic I have been on Prednisone, Symbicort and two nasal spray to try and get my asthma under control."

texasgirl57 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 12, 2013

For Asthma "Went to the hospital during an asthma attack. I was only on albuterol, and it was not working during this episode. Long story short I got prescribed Singular. Made me feel very sleepy at first. I could barely get my College work done. After about two months I became very depressed from being so tired, and then became extremely thirsty. I drank two bottles of water every hour and could feel my lungs becoming irritated. I was drinking so much water I was getting nauseous. I then went to my MD and he told me to stop taking it. After three days my thirst went away. After about two weeks I felt myself again. Singular is now listed on my doctors chart under "Medicine allergies"."

Asthmatic_Jimmy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2013