User Reviews for Singulair (Page 2)

Learn more about Singulair.

Bronchospasm Prophylaxis 2 reviews 14 medications

Asthma, Maintenance 33 reviews 108 medications

Allergic Rhinitis 33 reviews 810 medications

7.7
Asthma 31 reviews 138 medications

6.8
Summary of Singulair reviews 99 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Singulair

For Allergic Rhinitis "I have had allergies and severe chronic nasal congestion on and off for over a decade now. To the point that all over the counter meds don't work. Even paired with a nasal spray I got no relief. About a week ago, what my doctor suggested was to continue using Claritin-D, along with Flonase, and prescribed Singulair as a supplemental. For the first time in a very very long time I slept through the night without waking up gasping because I couldn't breathe due to the congestion and pressure. Also, I am able to work without disturbing my coworkers due to the constant nose blowing, sneezing and coughing."

Anony.mouse August 21, 2013

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have been on cortisteroids for about 10 years due to asthma and allergies, many times bronchitis and pneumonia. Asthma very bad this year and have increased use of Symbicort up to 8 inhalations per day, usually 4, no better so doctor prescribed Singular on Monday and 4 days later feeling somewhat clearer but producing more sputum, itchy and trouble resting very hyper. I will try to stay on it for another 7 days to see if it settles as per the pharmacist. "

Loopy-Linda (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2013

For Allergic Rhinitis "I had an allergic reaction to several medications, each including Yellow #6 and Yellow #10 dyes in the gel coating on the medications. The reaction was a rash on my stomach along the waist band of my underwear and my pants, under my bra band, my arm pits. Anywhere there was a lot of warmth on my body or a lot of chafing from clothing. The rash was also darkly pigmented. Each time I stopped a medication that gave me a rash, it took approximately 8-9 weeks for the rash to go away. After figuring out what was causing it, my doctor prescribed Singulair (chewable) combined with Atarax. The Atarax was to help me sleep and keep from scratching at night. After 10 days, the rash is gone. I can stop the medication in another week or so."

CKLeanne (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2013

For Allergic Rhinitis "Started taking Singulair with Zyrtec 3 weeks ago for a severe allergy I developed to my 3 pet rabbits. No side effects to speak of (I did have a headache one day, but I don't think it's related) and today I held one of my bunnies for the first time in 6 months without allergy symptoms. Now I don't have to get rid of some beloved family members!"

ravenlady13 August 2, 2013

For Allergic Rhinitis "I started taking Singulair 2 weeks ago, because of sinus headaches, red itchy eyes and allergies. Also use Zyrtec and Patanol. It has worked great, until I figured out that the stomachache I have had for the last 10 days is because of it. I have stopped the medicine."

JoJo619 June 29, 2013

For Asthma "I was prescribed this for asthma. I suffer from really bad cedar fever which is a problem in Texas. I am a rather slim female and at first my doctor gave me the regular adult dosage. It was too strong. I had heart palpitations and almost called 911 once after taking it. I requested my doctor give me an adolescents strength dosage - which he did. That worked much better. It still is a very strong and it knocked me out, but I didn't have to worry about calling 911 or not waking up from it. Asthma is tough to treat. Medicine is necessary, but sometimes the meds are as bad as the disease. My advice is to start with the lowest dosage your doctor thinks will work. You can always take more if necessary."

Dallas Nadja (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2013

For Asthma, Maintenance "Singulair has been a blessing for my asthma. However when I was switched to the generic, in October, all of my asthma symptoms came back. Wheezing, shortness of breath, use of inhaler (which I only used prior to exercise) several times a day. My doctor has written me a prescription for brand Singulair. The pharmacy gave me the three pills they had in stock and ordered the rest to come in tomorrow. I did the same thing a few weeks ago with another pharmacy and their distributor no longer carries the brand. Hopefully this will not happen again tomorrow and I can go back on the brand Singulair. Since the problem with the generic I have been on Prednisone, Symbicort and two nasal spray to try and get my asthma under control."

texasgirl57 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 12, 2013

For Asthma "Went to the hospital during an asthma attack. I was only on albuterol, and it was not working during this episode. Long story short I got prescribed Singular. Made me feel very sleepy at first. I could barely get my College work done. After about two months I became very depressed from being so tired, and then became extremely thirsty. I drank two bottles of water every hour and could feel my lungs becoming irritated. I was drinking so much water I was getting nauseous. I then went to my MD and he told me to stop taking it. After three days my thirst went away. After about two weeks I felt myself again. Singular is now listed on my doctors chart under "Medicine allergies"."

Asthmatic_Jimmy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2013

For Allergic Rhinitis "Amazing results! I have suffered with extreme allergies for many years. I had tried nasal sprays, over the counter allergy meds, & even took the allergy shot-nothing worked until I started taking Singulair. Now I can actually smell flowers in bloom! I use it in combination with Zyrtec."

PrincessH May 13, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have been on Singulair since it was first on the market. This medication has given me a life that is free of fear from episodes of asthma attacks. Before this medication I was using a steroid inhaler and short acting and long acting. Not to mention the nasal spray and the allergy medication. Five medications versus the one of Singulair plus a fast acting for exercise or shortness of breath."

nunismama (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2013

For Asthma, Maintenance "I have been taking Singulair for 10 years. Singulair has virtually made my asthma almost non-existent! I take it every night and rarely have to use my inhaler. Since I also have seasonal allergies, there is usually a short period of time when I find I need a puff from my inhaler, but it's not often. Any and all medications can cause side effects and everyone will have different experiences, but I feel that the risk was worth it! The only real issue I believe may be associated with Singulair is excessive dryness in my nose that causes sores every now and again. I feel comfortable staying on Singulair because being able to breath easily far outweighs the one side effect I have."

Yuman Human (taken for 10 years or more) April 13, 2013

For Asthma, Maintenance "Inhaler from allergist didn't help breathing problems. I always felt the fresh air I breathed in only got half way down and then hit a filter of some sort. Had wheezing/whistles every day at the end of my exhale. Inhaler didn't help. Out of breath over the slightest activity. Got an prescription from family practice doc for this. This has eliminated my wheezing and out of breath feeling. I'm allergic to just about everything year round. It did not eliminate my need for allergy medication but it has made my breathing perfect. I wouldn't ever want to do without this medication. "

ItWasAboutTime January 31, 2013

For Asthma "I found it really helped my asthma and has made a big difference in the quality of my life. However what I would say is that it did cause mood changes with me, these were very noticeable for the first few weeks it felt like I had drunk 10 tins of red bull. I was very confrontational; this subsided greatly though and in some ways made me more confident. I never take the tablets in a morning though always at night, or I will kick off for the slightest thing, which is totally out of character for me. "

Craig888 January 23, 2013

For Asthma "Very Good for asthma and allergies but my mood changed for the worse. I woke up angry for no reason and very irritable. Made my anxiety worse too. I stopped it."

preocupada (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2013

For Allergic Rhinitis "This medicine changed my life. After 18 months of constant post nasal drip, coughing up sputum, sore throat, and nasal congestion, I think I may have finally found my answer. I have taken almost every medicine suggested to me and seen over 30 doctors. I was finally put on this for Rhinitis and Asthma and I started to notice a big difference by 4 days in. It has now been a week without coughing up sputum (something that I had daily for 18 months), and my congestion and breathing is significantly better. For some reason antihistamines and inhalers don't seem to help me, but Singulair does. I'm so glad that I tried this medication!"

Joee January 17, 2013

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis "I have tried Singular three different times. Each time it has caused suicidal tendancies in me. This happens soon after I take it. My mood was very scary on this. I was prescribed this for asthma and allergies. I stopped taking it since it seemed to just depress me."

Growley (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2013

For Asthma "Singulair is an effective medicine -- but can have significant side effects. I experience a foggy head and depressed mood. I have also experienced muscle cramps in my back while on this. I have noticed in reading through the comments that quite a few people are suffering with some for of side effect from this medicine. One recommendation: I talked to my doctor about cutting he dose in half, from 10 mg to 5 mg. I now take a childrens 5 mg tablet. I still get relief but don't experience the same level of side effects."

PatrickJoseph (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2012

For Asthma, Maintenance "Completely effective for asthma maintenance, side effects - insomnia, weird dreams when able to sleep, headaches and nose bleeds. Only took for 4 weeks. Unfortunately, now after stopping it, have limited lifestyle (Singulair gave me back a life)."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2012

For Asthma, Maintenance "I've been taking Singulair for three weeks now after going off Advair, which is no longer covered by my insurance. I now have to use a rescue inhaler several times a day and am constantly coughing and feel out of breath and tired. Maybe three weeks isn't long enough a trial period. I'm hoping my breathing gets better in the next week or I'm calling the doctor to try another medication. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2012

For Asthma "This really did help with my allergies and asthma symptoms I sometimes experienced. I took this for 2 years and never on a daily basis, but as needed (when my allergies would act up). It took me a while to figure this out, but I have now determined that when taking this medicine, I am very lethargic the next day, depressed feeling, and extremely agitated. For a while I had just concluded I was a moody person, but after taking one, seeing how I felt, and then going off of it, I put two and two together. Literally the next day without the pill, I feel back to my old self. So though it did help for allergies, for me the pros don't outweigh the cons."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 21, 2012

For Asthma, Maintenance "I rate Singulair with a ten because it has done everything I could have hoped for. I am 15 now and started taking it when I was 10 or 11. I am able to live my daily life without worrying about asthma, and I use albuterol 15 minutes before exercise through an inhaler, but without Singulair, I'm sure it would be much worse. I have had absolutely no side effects whatsoever, and I am severely allergic to peanuts, nuts, shellfish, and have had allergic reactions to other medicines in the past. This is wonderful!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 3, 2012

For Asthma "We are trying it since our 7 month old son had RSV and has chronic lung issues and asthma problems since. It is working very well. He has also been exposed several times to hand, foot, and mouth disease (coxsackie virus) and has only had a couple of blisters so I think it helped him not break out as bad. Something worth researching."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2012

For Asthma, Maintenance "Compared to last year, a feel may grass pollen allergy far less in my airways this year. Before starting Singulair, I could get asthma attacks of just low amounts of grass pollen. Now, my tolerance has greatly improved. The same goes with my eyes. It took some weeks, but now I hardly need eye drops (i.e. Cromolyn) any more. This medicine has truly exceeded my expectations. Side effects were slight itching and drowsiness the first two weeks or so."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2012

For Allergic Rhinitis "I have horrible hay fever. Regular antihistamines do not work for me. I still suffer a lot if I take them. Terrible itchy eyes, runny nose, terrible asthma at night which kept me up, and a whole lot of sneezing and an achy body. My doctor prescribed me Singulair along with Patanol and Nasonex. Singulair has changed my life forever. My symptoms have been reduced by as much as 95%. I have no asthma, sneeze occasionally and my itchy eye episodes occur sporadically but stop within minutes. I don't usually even carry eye drops with me anymore. Which before would have been insane of me not to do. I'll give Singulair a 10/10 due to the fact that I've had amazing results and it's the only medication I need to make it through allergy season!"

Anonymous April 16, 2012

For Allergic Rhinitis "I took this medication to get some relief from severe allergies. It helped with the allergies but I ended up in the ER with chest tightness and some tingling sensations in my chest. I had a battery of tests on my heart, all was fine. This medication made me feel bad on one day, worse on the second day with the chest discomfort. "

Anonymousknot April 16, 2012