User Reviews for Singulair

Learn more about Singulair.

Singulair Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 434 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis.

Reviews for Singulair to treat Allergic Rhinitis

"Started to get post nasal drip horribly over four months ago. tried every otc drug know for allergies, remove bedroom carpet, bought high end humidifier, air purifier, netti potted and drank four liters of water a day. Nothing helped and i would wake up every hour and a half coughing from mucus build up. This medication stopped my symptoms within 2 days. Its very expensive but worth every penny."

klaaja May 23, 2016

"Singulair causes symptoms in children that look like ADHD or ADD. It causes irritability, aggression, impulsivity, and hyperactivity in children. Before you treat your child for ADHD, try switching to an allergy or asthma medicine that isn't this or a corticosteriod"

ReviewPro (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2016

"I tried Singulair because I have nasal allergies that turn into nasty sinus infections every couple of months. I also have panic disorder, but it's well controlled with medication. I was only able to take Singulair for 4 days due to side effects, so I can't say how well it works. It made me so sleepy that I was sleeping 12-15 hours a day, and still tired when I was awake. I haven't had a panic attack in over a year, and my anxiety went through the roof on this stuff. My panic attacks were so bad, I was having trouble driving. I was also moody and irritable the days I took it. Luckily, all of the negative side effects went away within a couple of days of stopping Singulair. Stay away from this drug if you are prone to anxiety!!!"

StillStuffy (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

"This medications was given to me after blue cross and blue shield stop covering levocetirizine which i had taken for 7 years. Singulair is awful. Within 2 days i had nightmares so very vivid that was scary. The dreams would come in few minutes intervals during hours and hours of not being able to sleep at all. By the third day i had tremors in my legs which kept me awake anyways, during the day I thought about nothing then kill myself. By the fourth day i broke out in hives. That's when I stopped it. I would not recommend! I am very healthy athletic person and I love outdoors, this medication was debilitating."

Adair1974 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2016

"I am a retired physician. Every winter & spring I suffer with horrible congestive episodes, once becoming so dizzy, I barely could get out of bed just to go to the bathroom. I saw an ENT doc who diagnosed me with vasomotor rhinitis, and stopped my Claritin. Spring came around & I was miserable again. I saw an allergist who did multiple skin testing & concluded I had no allergies-urban irritants caused nasal mucosal swelling resulting in my congestion. When my symptoms got worse, I was sent for a CT scan of my sinuses, & was found to have chronic sinusitis. Every year I still have seasonal recurrences of sinusitis. My new PCP decided to try Singulair (Montelukast) along with antibiotics & I can now breathe out of both nostrils. Yay!"

Dr. Anne B (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

"I was prescribed this for headaches and eye irritation for allergies. Been taking it for a month. No improvement or change in symptoms. Drs office said it takes a few days to help symptoms ; pharmacist said it can take 4-6 weeks to build up on in your system. The generic is cheap but after a month, no change. Don't know if its med not working or mis diagnosis"

Sajam6 (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2015

"I never had allergies until I was an adult. Most of my allergies are at night making it unbearable and hard to sleep. Nasal congestion itchy eyes and mouth. This would continue into the morning. During the day time I would get constant ear pressure and cracking. My doctor put me on singular (generic was given from the pharmacy) and my symptoms have improved significantly but I get nose bleeds more often which is a side effect. I've been on it for three months now. Still get the occasional stuffiness in the morning but much better over all."

Thenga October 26, 2015

"I have severe allergies everyday right when I get up in the morning. My nose just starts to run and drip. If I do not have tissues, my mucus would just drip on the floor. My allergies always go away around lunch time. I took generic singulair (montelukast sodium) everyday in the morning. Then I switched to the evening. I may have only missed one or two tablets throughout the 3 months that I took it, but my drip is the same as before. This medication does not work for me. I have tried the generics for Claritin, Allegra, and Zyrtec. Now I have tried the generic form of Singulair. All of these medications do not work for me. The only medication that works is Benadryl, but Benadryl makes me so exhausted and congested."

Nose Dripper September 12, 2015

"Our seven year old has severe bronchial inflammation due to a reactive airway. He had severe asthma reactions where he was full of mucus and fighting to breathe. The first day on Singular he was tired and grouchy, but has had no side effects, sleeps soundly, and has had perfect success with it, along with a daily asthma inhaler. A great relief"

Little man (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2015

"For the last 6 months I have had allergies like never before in my 32 years. Constant nasal congestion and dry coughing. I have been miserable. OTC antihistamines were not cutting it, so My doctor put me on Xyzal and Azelastine back in June. This improved my congestion but after catching a cold in July I ended up with the same symptoms and a dry cough that would not go away. It kept me up at night and I was miserable. He put me on Singulair, and since then the congestion has improved and I can sleep through the night without coughing!"

Amyfromga (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2015

"Been suffering from ETD for about two years. I've been on Singulair for about 4 months and it has dramatically improved my symptoms, no more ear crackling. Occasional tiredness and headache but it's tolerable. It has helped me tremendously."

Casscadav April 7, 2015

"This stuff works pretty well, lets me sleep through the night during allergy season."

Tree pollen sufferer (taken for 10 years or more) November 30, 2014

"I'm 49 and have suffered from allergic symptoms ever since I was a kid. Unquestionably it has reduced the quality of life. Anti-histimines were basically ineffective although I could significantly reduce my symptoms by a strict diet that was in the making over the last 30 years by observation (try eating foods high in anti oxidants). I do feel much better since taking Singulair, my nasal congestion is much better, feel no side effects. My only regret is not trying it earlier."

say1706 October 27, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had allergies and severe chronic nasal congestion on and off for over a decade now. To the point that all over the counter meds don't work. Even paired with a nasal spray I got no relief. About a week ago, what my doctor suggested was to continue using Claritin-D, along with Flonase, and prescribed Singulair as a supplemental. For the first time in a very very long time I slept through the night without waking up gasping because I couldn't breathe due to the congestion and pressure. Also, I am able to work without disturbing my coworkers due to the constant nose blowing, sneezing and coughing."

Anony.mouse August 21, 2013

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had an allergic reaction to several medications, each including Yellow #6 and Yellow #10 dyes in the gel coating on the medications. The reaction was a rash on my stomach along the waist band of my underwear and my pants, under my bra band, my arm pits. Anywhere there was a lot of warmth on my body or a lot of chafing from clothing. The rash was also darkly pigmented. Each time I stopped a medication that gave me a rash, it took approximately 8-9 weeks for the rash to go away. After figuring out what was causing it, my doctor prescribed Singulair (chewable) combined with Atarax. The Atarax was to help me sleep and keep from scratching at night. After 10 days, the rash is gone. I can stop the medication in another week or so."

CKLeanne (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2013

"Started taking Singulair with Zyrtec 3 weeks ago for a severe allergy I developed to my 3 pet rabbits. No side effects to speak of (I did have a headache one day, but I don't think it's related) and today I held one of my bunnies for the first time in 6 months without allergy symptoms. Now I don't have to get rid of some beloved family members!"

ravenlady13 August 2, 2013

"I started taking Singulair 2 weeks ago, because of sinus headaches, red itchy eyes and allergies. Also use Zyrtec and Patanol. It has worked great, until I figured out that the stomachache I have had for the last 10 days is because of it. I have stopped the medicine."

JoJo619 June 29, 2013

"Amazing results! I have suffered with extreme allergies for many years. I had tried nasal sprays, over the counter allergy meds, & even took the allergy shot-nothing worked until I started taking Singulair. Now I can actually smell flowers in bloom! I use it in combination with Zyrtec."

PrincessH May 13, 2013

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine changed my life. After 18 months of constant post nasal drip, coughing up sputum, sore throat, and nasal congestion, I think I may have finally found my answer. I have taken almost every medicine suggested to me and seen over 30 doctors. I was finally put on this for Rhinitis and Asthma and I started to notice a big difference by 4 days in. It has now been a week without coughing up sputum (something that I had daily for 18 months), and my congestion and breathing is significantly better. For some reason antihistamines and inhalers don't seem to help me, but Singulair does. I'm so glad that I tried this medication!"

Joee January 17, 2013

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have tried Singular three different times. Each time it has caused suicidal tendancies in me. This happens soon after I take it. My mood was very scary on this. I was prescribed this for asthma and allergies. I stopped taking it since it seemed to just depress me."

Growley (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2013

"I have horrible hay fever. Regular antihistamines do not work for me. I still suffer a lot if I take them. Terrible itchy eyes, runny nose, terrible asthma at night which kept me up, and a whole lot of sneezing and an achy body. My doctor prescribed me Singulair along with Patanol and Nasonex. Singulair has changed my life forever. My symptoms have been reduced by as much as 95%. I have no asthma, sneeze occasionally and my itchy eye episodes occur sporadically but stop within minutes. I don't usually even carry eye drops with me anymore. Which before would have been insane of me not to do. I'll give Singulair a 10/10 due to the fact that I've had amazing results and it's the only medication I need to make it through allergy season!"

Anonymous April 16, 2012

"I took this medication to get some relief from severe allergies. It helped with the allergies but I ended up in the ER with chest tightness and some tingling sensations in my chest. I had a battery of tests on my heart, all was fine. This medication made me feel bad on one day, worse on the second day with the chest discomfort. "

Anonymousknot April 16, 2012

"Yes, I think this medicine works in treating allergic rhinitis, but after not being able to sleep at all the night I took it and being extremely agitated with mood swings tapering off into the next day after a full night's sleep, I will take it no more. I think each person needs to weigh the benefits verses the side effects for them. Everyone is, of course, different and each responds in their own way to all of these medicines. Just monitor your reaction to the drug closely if you do decide to use it and make the right decision for you to continue it or not. "

Anonymous January 6, 2012

"This product seemed to help with my allergies somewhat but after several months of suffering a large increase in migraine headaches. My neurologist and I decided to stop using Singulair. The constant tightness in my head was gone within a week. It seems that this is a common side-effect of this medicine. MIGRAINE SUFFERERS BEWARE!"

indiemel December 14, 2011

"As soon as rag weed season starts in the mid-atlantic (August 15th) I literally go down hill in my health. I constantly have post nasal drip, but during rag weed season the post nasal drip turns to a sinus infection. I have been on class 5 antibiotics for the past 3 seasons. I was thinking that the only thing left for me was to move to Florida or the Virgin Islands (no weeds I'm allergic to). I decided to try Singulair. Within hours my symptoms completely stopped. I'm literally in awe. I thought it would take days to notice improvement, but it was virtually instantaneous. If you have serious allergic rhinitis that does not respond to antihistamines, please give it a try. It could change your life."

McSweeny October 26, 2011

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate