User Reviews for Singulair

Learn more about Singulair.

Singulair review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 73 medications used in the treatment of Asthma, Maintenance.

Reviews for Singulair to treat Asthma, Maintenance

Review by Judi,Aussie:

Have been on Singulair since it came on the market in Aust years ago. I call it my Magic pill with no obvious side effects despite having many other allergies. I didn't find it helped my hay fever though so take 1/2an antihistamine as well in summer when humid and winter when smoke from fires around. I went from high dose cortisone puffers and using Ventolin most of the day still being breathless and wheezing all the time to breathing free within 4 days of starting and off all puffers within the week. Due to cost about a year in was running out so cut down to 1/2 tablet which still left me free of the asthma so then tried a 1/4 and found this still worked, so have continued on this since then. ( to be continued as not enough space)

October 29, 2013 3:21 AM

Review by Loopy-Linda (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on cortisteroids for about 10 years due to asthma and allergies, many times bronchitis and pneumonia. Asthma very bad this year and have increased use of Symbicort up to 8 inhalations per day, usually 4, no better so doctor prescribed Singular on Monday and 4 days later feeling somewhat clearer but producing more sputum, itchy and trouble resting very hyper. I will try to stay on it for another 7 days to see if it settles as per the pharmacist.

August 15, 2013 2:44 PM

Review by texasgirl57 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Singulair has been a blessing for my asthma. However when I was switched to the generic, in October, all of my asthma symptoms came back. Wheezing, shortness of breath, use of inhaler (which I only used prior to exercise) several times a day. My doctor has written me a prescription for brand Singulair. The pharmacy gave me the three pills they had in stock and ordered the rest to come in tomorrow. I did the same thing a few weeks ago with another pharmacy and their distributor no longer carries the brand. Hopefully this will not happen again tomorrow and I can go back on the brand Singulair. Since the problem with the generic I have been on Prednisone, Symbicort and two nasal spray to try and get my asthma under control.

June 12, 2013 4:42 PM

Review by nunismama (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Singulair since it was first on the market. This medication has given me a life that is free of fear from episodes of asthma attacks. Before this medication I was using a steroid inhaler and short acting and long acting. Not to mention the nasal spray and the allergy medication. Five medications versus the one of Singulair plus a fast acting for exercise or shortness of breath.

April 26, 2013 2:20 PM

Review by Yuman Human (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been taking Singulair for 10 years. Singulair has virtually made my asthma almost non-existent! I take it every night and rarely have to use my inhaler. Since I also have seasonal allergies, there is usually a short period of time when I find I need a puff from my inhaler, but it's not often. Any and all medications can cause side effects and everyone will have different experiences, but I feel that the risk was worth it! The only real issue I believe may be associated with Singulair is excessive dryness in my nose that causes sores every now and again. I feel comfortable staying on Singulair because being able to breath easily far outweighs the one side effect I have.

April 13, 2013 1:42 PM

Review by ItWasAboutTime:

Inhaler from allergist didn't help breathing problems. I always felt the fresh air I breathed in only got half way down and then hit a filter of some sort. Had wheezing/whistles every day at the end of my exhale. Inhaler didn't help. Out of breath over the slightest activity. Got an prescription from family practice doc for this. This has eliminated my wheezing and out of breath feeling. I'm allergic to just about everything year round. It did not eliminate my need for allergy medication but it has made my breathing perfect. I wouldn't ever want to do without this medication.

January 31, 2013 4:27 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Completely effective for asthma maintenance, side effects - insomnia, weird dreams when able to sleep, headaches and nose bleeds. Only took for 4 weeks. Unfortunately, now after stopping it, have limited lifestyle (Singulair gave me back a life).

October 16, 2012 5:49 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been taking Singulair for three weeks now after going off Advair, which is no longer covered by my insurance. I now have to use a rescue inhaler several times a day and am constantly coughing and feel out of breath and tired. Maybe three weeks isn't long enough a trial period. I'm hoping my breathing gets better in the next week or I'm calling the doctor to try another medication.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2012 2:57 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I rate Singulair with a ten because it has done everything I could have hoped for. I am 15 now and started taking it when I was 10 or 11. I am able to live my daily life without worrying about asthma, and I use albuterol 15 minutes before exercise through an inhaler, but without Singulair, I'm sure it would be much worse. I have had absolutely no side effects whatsoever, and I am severely allergic to peanuts, nuts, shellfish, and have had allergic reactions to other medicines in the past. This is wonderful!

August 3, 2012 3:44 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Compared to last year, a feel may grass pollen allergy far less in my airways this year. Before starting Singulair, I could get asthma attacks of just low amounts of grass pollen. Now, my tolerance has greatly improved. The same goes with my eyes. It took some weeks, but now I hardly need eye drops (i.e. Cromolyn) any more. This medicine has truly exceeded my expectations. Side effects were slight itching and drowsiness the first two weeks or so.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2012 3:14 PM

Review by dunno12345:

I took this medication a few years back. Although I read the side effects, I never imagined that I would have a bad reaction to the medication. This medication worked great in controlling my asthma. However, I became very depressed, suffered from anxiety and just not me. It didn't happen immediately, but people started noticing a difference. I started noticing a difference. I never had a history of any of that stuff. After I came off the medication I was back to being me. For me, the side effects weren't worth it

January 6, 2012 7:08 PM

Review by Chico, Ca, sufferer:

I had horrible side effects from Singulair. I started suffering severe anxiety attacks, which my boyfriend (who is an EMT) linked back to Singulair. My allergy doctor wasn't even sure it was the Singulair until I talked to my pharmacist. Heed caution that the rare side effects can happen and that they are scary.

January 11, 2011 2:02 PM

This medicine worked wonders for my 3 year old's allergies, however, I am in the process of taking him off of it. He has always been a very well-behaved child, soft spoken and very smart. Since he started taking the medication (from the first day) he has been completely unable to sit still, has been chewing on things (something he outgrew a year and a half ago), and has been unable to follow simple directions. He has also been much more aggressive. When I asked him about it, he said (word for word), "It makes me feel wiggly. And when the wiggles start I can't stop them and the house spins and I fall down." I urge parents to keep an eye on their children for behavioral changes always, especially with this medication.

October 25, 2010 9:17 PM

I have been using Singulair for an extended time. It seems to help with asthma, but I'm wondering if I developed side effects and just didn't realize. If I'm barely bumped I get bad bruises; I have sinus infections very frequently and lately I have a low grade fever often with no apparent cause.

September 16, 2010 5:30 PM

Review by Misoman:

My asthma's been getting worse every year, and spring allergy season is the worst. I got on Singulair three weeks ago and it's completely changed my life. I haven't needed my Albuterol at all in the last two weeks. I can breathe free and easy. For the first time in years, I've been able to walk to the store without wheezing. I wish I'd gotten on this a long time ago, but until recently I couldn't afford the prescription cost. I'll really be happy when a generic is available.

April 24, 2010 7:26 PM

My 4 year old son was on this for a year. It worked wonders for his asthma but made him a very violent and aggressive child. We didn't notice the changes in his behavior until he had been on it for over 6 months. His fits of rage became more and more frequent. We finally decided that we would take him off to see if the Singulair was the cause. We noticed changes in him the first day he was off of it. He is back to being my sweet and loving child with no rage and no violence. It is a great drug for those that don't have this side effect.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2010 3:18 PM

I have been using Singulair for three weeks. I feel much better and no side effects. I wish I had been on this the last three years.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2009 2:12 PM

Although Singulair 10mg tablets work great for me on a daily, regular basis for maintenance issues with asthma, I have found that one of its side effects has appeared. At first it was not connected until recently when information came out that Singulair could cause ear infections. This particular side effect appeared about 3-4 months after starting Singulair but no connectione was made until recently after using it for two years. So be aware of side effects and keep close tabs on usage results.

May 6, 2009 2:45 PM

Review by gutz4glory_911:

I have had Asthma all my life. This medication CHANGED my life. I have always used albuterol (inhaler and nebulizer) for fast acting relief, along with steroid preventative inhalers. Two years ago when I was diagnosed yet again with pneumonia, my new doctor prescribed Singulair. I am an active person, who likes to run etc. Until Singulair I had never in my lifetime ran without having to use my albuterol both before and after. Not only that, this year I made it through flu season without developing pneumonia. Until I used Singulair I had never known what it felt like to be "normal". To run and exist without having to stop because I was wheezing and couldn't breathe.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2009 12:58 AM

Before I started on Singulair I would have several serious asthma flares every year requiring prednisone treatment. Since starting Singular several years ago I have only had one serious asthma flare. My allergic rhinitis is also much better controlled.

March 24, 2009 9:28 PM

Review by Johnny Bench:

I used Advair before but after a while (and one fast-acting inhaler use), I was prescribed Singulair. I have not once had to worry about asthma in over 8 years.

January 16, 2009 11:47 PM

Review by JillJets:

Before I started to using Singulair I suffered terribly and had to use my inhaler twice a day. I have not used my inhaler in over four years. Great drug.

January 1, 2009 10:34 PM

Review by NH MAN:

I had been using inhalers - steroid (Serevant) and fast acting ones for many years. I couldn't climb stairs without needing a "puff". I couldn't play with the kids without having to stop often. After one serious attack I had to use an atomizer at the doctors office and I started Singulair from the next day. I have not used or carried an inhaler for almost 10 years now. It has changed my life. I can run with my kids, walk up stairs, shovel snow, etc.

December 29, 2008 10:54 PM

Review by LORI HENSLEY:

My son has had asthma since he was born. Now doctor has given singulair and it has helped alot. You can tell a big difference when he stops taking them.

December 13, 2008 2:44 AM

Singulair has been a life saver for me. I am a newly diagnosed asthmatic which had become debilitating. I was put on a course of prednisolone to relieve symptoms, then doctor tried to control asthma with inhalers. Couldn't get under control with only the inhalers so was prescribed Singulair. It is amazing, I hardly use my reliever. Before I was using anything up to 40 times a day. Hayfever symptoms reduced also. Able to run again, I'd reached the point where I could hardly walk never mind run. Now I'm starting to get my life back.

October 21, 2008 7:54 PM