User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Levothyroxine review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal.

Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal

Review by Sam Asare:

Eltroxin (levothyroxine): Felt normal after thyroid removal. A year after as at now, I feel a bit slow and experience forgetfulness, not quick to remember especially names.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2014 8:16 AM

Review by bbmjenjen1:

Tirosint (levothyroxine): The best I have felt since removal of thyroid in July of 2012 after trying combination of dosage to eliminate the dye and other additives.

March 12, 2014 7:45 AM

Review by DeboraL.:

Synthroid (levothyroxine): I had my thyroid irradiated in 2005 due to Grave's disease caused by Hep C treatment (Ribivirin & Interferon). At first I saw an endocrinologist that prescribed Armour Thyroid but loss of job and insurance forced me to go to a free clinic, where I receive Synthroid. The clinic doesn't seem to understand the difference between experiencing low thyroid levels from naturally occurring hypothyroidism, & complete loss of thyroid. My NP says to me, incredulously, "You take an awful lot of thyroid!", & at that time I was only taking 75mcg a day. Finally after three years of 75 to 100mcg, when I felt absolutely crazy (tired, confused, hair loss, cranky, paranoid, angry, enormous weight gain), she now has me on 150mcg which seems not perfect but better.

January 7, 2014 12:55 AM

Review by hwu:

One month after being on Levothyroxine (only 25mcg), my hair started to fall out like crazy. (did not have hair loss problem before). I lost 40% of my hair volume in the 4 month-period. I took my courage to stop taking it. 2 days after stopping, my hair loss has gradually subsided. 3 weeks after I stopped the medicine, my hair loss has started to go back to normal. I am hoping my hair to grow back. Another side effect I suggest from the medicine is that I have "burning & dry mouth". That made me very uncomfortable. I feel like a normal person without the medicine. I still have issues with the dry mouth sensation, but a lot better. I hope it will go away.

November 25, 2013 12:04 PM

Review by lost31:

Synthroid (levothyroxine): My thyroid disease was caught by my determination to find the real cause to my sudden physical & mental change. Long story short I had thyroid cancer twice (2010 & 2012). April 2013 was thyroidectomy, radiation 3 months later. It's taken all my strength not to give up. I'm finally on 175mcg & my endocrinologist is brushing off my complaints of being depressed over nothing, tired, weak, cold, forgetful, wake up to aching feet. She said 2.1 is in range & Synthroid is the solution. It isn't enough! It or my dose isn't jiving with my body. I'm so tired of being tired. Some days it feels like I have cinder blocks tied to my feet.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2013 2:57 AM

Review by Tulsiebud:

Synthroid (levothyroxine): I have had thyroid surgery two months ago. I take my daily dosage of levothyroxine every morning before breakfast and I am doing great.

October 25, 2013 11:46 PM

Review by noname817:

Synthroid (levothyroxine): I have been on synthroid for 20 years. My dosage is 100...To the person whose thyroid was removed and dosage is 250...Sounds a bit high. My tsh level was also 2. 54 the last time I went to the doctor and I feel better than I have in a long time. Anytime I feel a little psycho and mean. I know my levels are off.

October 11, 2013 11:50 AM

Review by 24ann25:

Tirosint (levothyroxine): I started Tirosint after Levoxyl was taken from the market. It is the best. I take this in combination with Liothyronine. Aside from insomnia, which I have experienced with every other medicine as well, and I've taken them all, this is the best I've felt in years.

August 19, 2013 5:51 AM

Review by willseth:

Synthroid (levothyroxine): It works great for me

August 1, 2013 11:57 AM

Review by M77 (taken for less than 1 month):

Tirosint (levothyroxine): Within 30 seconds after taking this medicine, my stomach becomes a volcano. I think it is something in the coating rather than the medicine itself. Discontinued use and am now on Armour 45mg and Synthroid (not generic) 50mcg. Am still working on blood levels, but after stopping Tirosint, my stomach problems ceased. Too bad, I was really excited by this new medicine.

January 10, 2013 8:03 AM

Review by CB in TX (taken for 10 years or more):

Synthroid (levothyroxine): I had my thyroid removed in 1990 and have been on Synthroid ever since. The dosage has changed over the years. Right now I'm on a dose that requires two pills each morning--the 200mcg plus the 50 mcg. I have to wonder if alot of the symptoms many of us experience isn't due to the Synthroid --but just rather the lack of a thyroid and having to get the hormone from a pill? Maybe it just doesn't ever feel quite the same no matter what brand it is. I am usually tired. I can't get enough sleep. Often am achey too. I have always been prone to anxiety and depression and have been on Effexor for years. That helps with alot of symptoms I had (night sweats, mood issues etc) but still so tired.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2012 5:11 PM

Review by Jennybean (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on this medicine for more than 4 months. Not feeling any better at all. More tired, and more hair loss is what I've been experiencing. Still feeling no motivation, lethargy and depressed/isolated.

September 16, 2012 10:23 PM

Review by I love my wife!! (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Synthroid (levothyroxine): My wife is been taking this medication for about 5 years now. she has terrible paranoia is always in a bad mood also, sleep problems, hair loss and irritation. her doctor test for levels all the time and he tells her she is fine, however I do not agree! She goes out drinking when she gets upset.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2012 5:43 PM

Tirosint (levothyroxine): Could not get my T3 or TSH regulated before this medicine and now it is stable. I take this and wait about 1 hour before I eat, so I haven't had any stomach problems. It is easier for the system to absorb since it is a gel cap. If your doctor is reluctant to try one of the dessicated thyroid medicines, this may be an alternative for you.

August 6, 2012 9:19 AM

Review by JennieBennie (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Synthroid (levothyroxine): After being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, had radioactive iodine treatment in 2004. Was put on Synthroid because the radioactive iodine caused hypothyroidism. When this first happened, I had my levels checked every 3 months, and Synthroid levels were adjusted accordingly to fit my needs. We moved the panels to every 6 months for testing, and then yearly. At this point we are at 150mcgs and I feel great. It has been a journey but Synthroid works better for me than the generic, which we tried for a short time. It depends on what works for you and your body. Don't be afraid to let your endocrinologist know if something isn't working for you, you know yourself best. Good luck.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2012 10:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Synthroid (levothyroxine): I had half my thyroid out almost three months ago. Started taking medication about five weeks post-op. I have become depressed and stressed. Everything bothers me and I cannot let it go. I go days without sleeping and live on black coffee. I have the shakes and hate everybody and everything. I cannot rid myself of the stress. I do not know if this is the medicine but that is the only new medicine I have been taking.

May 27, 2012 3:26 PM

Review by Jones3343:

Synthroid (levothyroxine): My grandmother takes this and she looks really great for her age!

April 1, 2012 1:44 PM

Tirosint (levothyroxine): Great after 6 wks.

March 30, 2012 3:17 PM

Review by swancity:

Synthroid (levothyroxine): I've been taking Synthroid for 4 yrs, since then my blood pressure has gone up (120/75 before, now 140/85 or higher) and cholesterol has skyrocketed as well (before was below, now 6.6)

February 28, 2012 1:04 PM

Review by SleeplessinCA:

Tirosint (levothyroxine): This is the third medication I have been on since my thyroid removal. Tirosint seems smoother than Synthroid. However, I have had a lot of gastro-intestinal issues and sleep issues while on Tirosint. My quality of life is now very poor. Since Tirosint is better than the other 2 medications I tried, I will remain on it.

February 17, 2012 10:36 AM

Levoxyl (levothyroxine): I've had great success on Levoxyl? I'm taking 0.137mcg and have virtually no side affects. Synthroid for me was horrible.

January 23, 2012 3:13 PM

Synthroid (levothyroxine): I do not feel too much of a difference from before I had my thyroid removed. I do understand how so many people have such a wide variety of symptoms. I can say though that my weight is lower than ever, even my teenage years. My hair does seem to be thinner and cannot tolerate cold very much but that is pretty much it.

December 22, 2011 3:26 PM

Review by happyJ:

Synthroid (levothyroxine): I've had my thyroid removed 10 months ago and I started taking the lowest dose of Levothyroxine (generic) six weeks after the surgery. I had my blood work done and dosage adjusted every six weeks until I ended up at 137 mcg daily, 5 months after the surgery. Then I switched to Synthroid brand. All this adjusting was done by an endocrinologist. I feel great, definitely much better than before the surgery when I suffered from severe hyperthyroidism. I did gain some weight right after the surgery but once the dosage was correct, I was able to lose the pounds easily. All of my other symptoms (hair loss, abnormal sweating, fatigue) were gone once the dosage was correct. The right dosage is extremely important.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2011 10:52 PM

Review by EarlyMorningRun:

Synthroid (levothyroxine): Synthroid seems to work well, but still working to get to the correct dosage. Currently, my dose is too high and I see my doctor next week to adjust. Feel fine, but have daily armpit and back sweat. Will be really glad when that stops as it's difficult to work at client sites when your shirt is soaked.

August 7, 2011 10:21 AM

Synthroid (levothyroxine): I have been on Synthroid since 2006. I have had significant weight gain and can't get rid of it. This medicine has helped with the cold chills and irritability.

July 6, 2011 9:33 PM