User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Levothyroxine Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal.

Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Due to variances in generic medications I kept experiencing thyroid fog until my doctor changed me to synthroid. My stats immediately stabilize and it has worked well. I found I must take it as prescribed and at the same time daily to avoid the fog."

Willmarqz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 20, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I was taking Levothyroid 75mcg. Lost 15 pounds, stomach pain, unable to eat, shaky, unable to think or exercise. Also have dark, stone hard stools. Will see my endocrinologist next week. When in my 30's, took Synthyroid for 16 years with no problems, then all went as above. Took Levothyroid by Forest for 4 years with no problems until it was taken of the market about 2 years ago."

Borega June 20, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Due to thyroidectomy I am hypo thyroid .While on synthroid I felt awful. High anxiety, quick to anger. Definitely did not like this drug. I like levoxly and naturethroid. Doing better. Keep trying other meds if you feel awful."

l2b (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I had a goiter in my teens that was treated with radioactive iodine, I've been on synthroid for almost ten years, having trouble finding the right dose, I was on 125mcg for a few years but my TSH jumped around a lot, last time I checked it was around 30, so not good, I decided to try 150mcg at first I had a bit of insomnia but otherwise I felt great, going to find out on Saturday if it's been working as good as I thought, I ran out 3 days ago... and I've already gained a bit of weight (looks like I'm bloated) and woke up this morning depressed, oh well I get more on Saturday"

tmir554 April 9, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "In a nutshell I had my thyroid removed ten years ago. I had a lot of horrible symptoms that I can only describe myself as feeling like a 100 year severely arthritic woman. My lab results seemed to always came out within range no matter what dosage I was on. I even called the synthroid company to discuss the various doses and learned the only difference between the doses I was trying besides the amount of thyroid hormone as the food coloring. In a quick internet search I learned my symptoms might be related to the food dyes. My endo rewrote my prescription using no dye tablets. With one week I had no pain. I take two 50mcg daily and on Monday and Thursday I add a half tablet. Life is good!"

SaltWaterTaffy March 26, 2015

Eltroxin (levothyroxine): "Felt normal after thyroid removal. A year after as at now, I feel a bit slow and experience forgetfulness, not quick to remember especially names."

Sam Asare November 8, 2014

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "The best I have felt since removal of thyroid in July of 2012 after trying combination of dosage to eliminate the dye and other additives."

bbmjenjen1 March 12, 2014

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I had my thyroid irradiated in 2005 due to Grave's disease caused by Hep C treatment (Ribivirin & Interferon). At first I saw an endocrinologist that prescribed Armour Thyroid but loss of job and insurance forced me to go to a free clinic, where I receive Synthroid. The clinic doesn't seem to understand the difference between experiencing low thyroid levels from naturally occurring hypothyroidism, & complete loss of thyroid. My NP says to me, incredulously, "You take an awful lot of thyroid!", & at that time I was only taking 75mcg a day. Finally after three years of 75 to 100mcg, when I felt absolutely crazy (tired, confused, hair loss, cranky, paranoid, angry, enormous weight gain), she now has me on 150mcg which seems not perfect but better."

DeboraL. January 7, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"One month after being on Levothyroxine (only 25mcg), my hair started to fall out like crazy. (did not have hair loss problem before). I lost 40% of my hair volume in the 4 month-period. I took my courage to stop taking it. 2 days after stopping, my hair loss has gradually subsided. 3 weeks after I stopped the medicine, my hair loss has started to go back to normal. I am hoping my hair to grow back. Another side effect I suggest from the medicine is that I have "burning & dry mouth". That made me very uncomfortable. I feel like a normal person without the medicine. I still have issues with the dry mouth sensation, but a lot better. I hope it will go away."

hwu November 25, 2013

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "My thyroid disease was caught by my determination to find the real cause to my sudden physical & mental change. Long story short I had thyroid cancer twice (2010 & 2012). April 2013 was thyroidectomy, radiation 3 months later. It's taken all my strength not to give up. I'm finally on 175mcg & my endocrinologist is brushing off my complaints of being depressed over nothing, tired, weak, cold, forgetful, wake up to aching feet. She said 2.1 is in range & Synthroid is the solution. It isn't enough! It or my dose isn't jiving with my body. I'm so tired of being tired. Some days it feels like I have cinder blocks tied to my feet."

lost31 November 20, 2013

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I have had thyroid surgery two months ago. I take my daily dosage of levothyroxine every morning before breakfast and I am doing great."

Tulsiebud October 25, 2013

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I have been on synthroid for 20 years. My dosage is 100...To the person whose thyroid was removed and dosage is 250...Sounds a bit high. My tsh level was also 2. 54 the last time I went to the doctor and I feel better than I have in a long time. Anytime I feel a little psycho and mean. I know my levels are off."

noname817 October 11, 2013

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "I started Tirosint after Levoxyl was taken from the market. It is the best. I take this in combination with Liothyronine. Aside from insomnia, which I have experienced with every other medicine as well, and I've taken them all, this is the best I've felt in years. "

24ann25 August 19, 2013

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "It works great for me"

willseth August 1, 2013

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "Within 30 seconds after taking this medicine, my stomach becomes a volcano. I think it is something in the coating rather than the medicine itself. Discontinued use and am now on Armour 45mg and Synthroid (not generic) 50mcg. Am still working on blood levels, but after stopping Tirosint, my stomach problems ceased. Too bad, I was really excited by this new medicine."

M77 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2013

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I had my thyroid removed in 1990 and have been on Synthroid ever since. The dosage has changed over the years. Right now I'm on a dose that requires two pills each morning--the 200mcg plus the 50 mcg. I have to wonder if alot of the symptoms many of us experience isn't due to the Synthroid --but just rather the lack of a thyroid and having to get the hormone from a pill? Maybe it just doesn't ever feel quite the same no matter what brand it is. I am usually tired. I can't get enough sleep. Often am achey too. I have always been prone to anxiety and depression and have been on Effexor for years. That helps with alot of symptoms I had (night sweats, mood issues etc) but still so tired."

CB in TX (taken for 10 years or more) October 25, 2012

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on this medicine for more than 4 months. Not feeling any better at all. More tired, and more hair loss is what I've been experiencing. Still feeling no motivation, lethargy and depressed/isolated. "

Jennybean (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2012

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "My wife is been taking this medication for about 5 years now. she has terrible paranoia is always in a bad mood also, sleep problems, hair loss and irritation. her doctor test for levels all the time and he tells her she is fine, however I do not agree! She goes out drinking when she gets upset."

I love my wife!! (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2012

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "Could not get my T3 or TSH regulated before this medicine and now it is stable. I take this and wait about 1 hour before I eat, so I haven't had any stomach problems. It is easier for the system to absorb since it is a gel cap. If your doctor is reluctant to try one of the dessicated thyroid medicines, this may be an alternative for you."

Anonymous August 6, 2012

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "After being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, had radioactive iodine treatment in 2004. Was put on Synthroid because the radioactive iodine caused hypothyroidism. When this first happened, I had my levels checked every 3 months, and Synthroid levels were adjusted accordingly to fit my needs. We moved the panels to every 6 months for testing, and then yearly. At this point we are at 150mcgs and I feel great. It has been a journey but Synthroid works better for me than the generic, which we tried for a short time. It depends on what works for you and your body. Don't be afraid to let your endocrinologist know if something isn't working for you, you know yourself best. Good luck."

JennieBennie (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 3, 2012

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I had half my thyroid out almost three months ago. Started taking medication about five weeks post-op. I have become depressed and stressed. Everything bothers me and I cannot let it go. I go days without sleeping and live on black coffee. I have the shakes and hate everybody and everything. I cannot rid myself of the stress. I do not know if this is the medicine but that is the only new medicine I have been taking."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2012

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "My grandmother takes this and she looks really great for her age!"

Jones3343 April 1, 2012

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "Great after 6 wks."

Anonymous March 30, 2012

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I've been taking Synthroid for 4 yrs, since then my blood pressure has gone up (120/75 before, now 140/85 or higher) and cholesterol has skyrocketed as well (before was below, now 6.6)"

swancity February 28, 2012

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "This is the third medication I have been on since my thyroid removal. Tirosint seems smoother than Synthroid. However, I have had a lot of gastro-intestinal issues and sleep issues while on Tirosint. My quality of life is now very poor. Since Tirosint is better than the other 2 medications I tried, I will remain on it."

SleeplessinCA February 17, 2012