User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Myxedema Coma 1 reviews 18 medications

Thyroid Suppression Test 2 reviews 18 medications

4.2
Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 307 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Levothyroxine

For Underactive Thyroid: "Original symptoms slightly decreased but side effects such as heart palpitations, sweats, hunger, weight gain, hand tremors, feelings of panic/stress, insomnia, acne, irritable/depressed make me question is it the drug or is it the dosage. Dr says higher dosage is needed. Endocrinologist says lower dosage is needed. Surely medicine for a complaint should be more clear-cut and less guesswork done by the medical profession. I'm told there is no other drug available to me for my hypothyroid problem."

MaryD3zzhttp://www.drugs.com/m (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "will ruin your life"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I've been on this 7-8 years and it works well. I able to maintain my idle body weight. When 1st taking it, I was starving and ate everything under the soon. After adjusting to the medicine, I'm able to stay at 115 lbs which is perfect for me. I also have fibromyalgia and feel tired all the time."

Susieq88888 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I've been on this drug since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at around twelve years old. It hasn't done anything especially dramatic or life changing. I am able to lose weight and I am not tired and sluggish. I don't believe I have experienced any of the known side effects. This drug works for me, that's all I can ask."

ihavemigraines (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Tirosint has been the best med I've taken for Hashimotos thus far. I tried WesThroid which is NDT (because I've read such good things about it online) and it was terrible, I went hyperthyroid in a big way and had a panic attack at work. Immediately went back to Tirosint. I also take compounded T3 as needed which is extremely helpful. I do hate that I have to pay out of pocket for it each month (BCBS FEP) but it's worth it to feel normal. It's also important to add that I am completely gluten free and heavily limit my processed sugar and dairy intake, that has been crucial in the healing process and no thyroid medication will solve your problems if you have a poor diet."

Margaret626 April 18, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on Levothyroxin for four years. I have no thyroid. I have gained 60 pounds. I am angry about the weight gain. I have absolutely no energy when I used to have too much. The major problem that I found with this drug is that it gives me bad heart burn. I also have heart palpitations. The doctor claims my levels are where they should be and refuse to switch me to anything else."

202400 April 18, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I had my thyroid removed about 2 years ago. I weighed about 190. I was put on 125 mcg Synthroid right after the surgery. I lost about 20 pounds without trying at all. My dosage was increased to 175 mcg. I then started gaining weight. My endocrinologist increased my dosage to 200 mcg. My weight went up to 224 lbs. Never weighed so much before. I've been told by a couple of other doctors that the higher doses of Synthroid should cause weight loss, not gain. I am 72 years old. In general, I have aches and pains, something wrong every day. Don't know if that's Synthroid related or not. But I am very uncomfortable with all this weight, just doing everyday things."

Anonymous April 12, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "My thyroid test showed it to be under active, Dr increased Levothyroxine to 100 MCG to be taken two hours on empty stomach before I can eat! I guestioned Pharmacist and he confirmed two hours wate. Very difficult to wait 2 hours! I take several other medications! What can I do?"

Berlene April 10, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I loved it when I first started. Felt more energized, lost weight, felt good. Now 8 months in and a dosage of 100mcg my levels are normal but I feel worse off. Sore throats, mouth ulcers, painful diarrhea after mildly acidic foods, insomnia, weight gain, joint pain, hair thinning. Requested a full panel of all 4 and tsh but doctors won't adjust anything since my levels are normal range. I feel worse on this medicine long term than I did before taking it. Hoping to try the dessicated hormone if I can find someone who can prescribe it."

Randino (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 3, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease: "Has worked wonders ever since starting!"

koryn (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 28, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I started with Armour Thyroid 15 and felt better. When dose was increased to 30, I started to have mild swelling in my hands. My doctor said, it's a side effect. It did not bother me a lot. When dose was increased to 60, I started to have more swelling in my hands, increased appetite, weird muscle and joints pain. I did research and think T3 in Armour Thyroid caused it. I asked doctor to change Armour Thyroid to Levothyroxine and miracle happened: appetite decreased, swelling in hands, muscle and joints pain disappeared. I guess my body produced enough T3 by it's own and extra T3 from Armour Thyroid was too much for me. Removing Armour Thyroid I removed extra T3 and made all those symptoms disappear."

Irenebluesky (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on this medicine for 7 years. It works well for my thyroid but it does nothing for my weight at all. I've tried dieting and exercising but it won't even burn 1 lb."

Kara Kelly (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 26, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I have been on Synthroid 15 years now, two years ago my insurance company would not cover Synthroid any more so they sent me the generic. I broke out in a rash and felt awful. My Dr wrote for synthroid only. I am paying 288.00 a year now out of pocket instead of 16.00. I am not sure what happen but my belly has been bloated every since and I have gained 40 pounds! My new Dr of Internal Medicine does not seem to care and says it's my age bla bla bla. I told her I wanted to be tested for hashimoto and she said there was no doubt in her mind that I have it. My thyroid is totally not working and i am taking 125 Mcg a day. I am not sure what else I can do as she does not seem to want to help. Me gaining 40 pounds is not acceptable."

Gizelle March 24, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Personally I really like Tirosint better than any other Thyroid medication I've taken. I was on Armor for 3 months and started to lose my hair and my nails got very thin. Then I switched to Synthroid hoping that my hair would stop falling out. But it only got worse. After a month on Synthroid I lost at least half my hair. So I talked to my Doctor and we switched me to Tirosint and after 3 weeks of using it my hair has barely fallen out! I personally have had no harmful side effects with Tirosint and I am glad I switched. Yes it may be a little pricey a month but its totally worth not having my hair fall out!"

Hypothyroidism Victim March 19, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was diagnosed in 2001 with hashimotos and just always knew since I was young I we different. I was always tired , insomiac, mental fog with no metabolism. Puberty made it worse and pregnancy sent me into storm. Years of misdiagnosis and remedies I had been on synthroid for years ,, with my numbers saying I was therapeutic, I felt no better. I took myself off all meds and spoke with my nurse prac about trying something new. Tirosent has made me feel so much better. I have internal energy, it's making me feel like getting back into the gym and motivated . Down side is cost. In 4 months it's gone up twice ..paid $104 today.. it hurts us financially but I can't put a price on my health. Guess I'll eat less .. get that benefit too :)"

Systephens March 19, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I just started this medicine about a month ago. It is making such a big difference in my appetite and my energy. I am a fairly young man at 23 years old. I knew something wasn't right with my body over the last few years, as I had gained about 30 pounds over the course of just a few months and felt so sluggish. It turns out, like many of you reading this, I have an underactive thyroid. I have heard that three drugs help with the thyroid hormones. Synthroid (T4 hormone), Cytomel (T3 hormone), and Armour Thyroid (T4 & T3 Hormones). Synthroid has gotten a bad rap because it's synthetic and it only covers the T4. Well, the T4 is most likely all you need because a T3 deficiency is rare. Synthroid is great. Stomach upset went away in 1-2 weeks."

Vinayyyyy070709 March 16, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "On it since 01/2016, emotionally and mentally, I feel so much calmer. I used to explode for everything. I have yet to have an argument with my husband since the pill officially started working in my system. I feel so much happier! I haven't lost weight but I do feel less bloated. My heart rate is down. Cons: back acne (not even as a teen did I have acne), a lot of heartburn (especially at night), I notice these side effects get worst if I don't take it at my usual 4am. I know it says to take it at least 30 minutes before a meal but I feel better if I wait at least three to four hours before I eat. Biggest observation to control side effects is the timing at which I take the pill, 3am to 4 am works the best for me."

Pros and Cons for ME (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease: "I have been taking this for 5 days now and today I have had excessive sweating, hot flashes, and heart palpitations 2 different times."

Mbmelissa March 6, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Do not do it! I causes tiredness, mental fog, emotional instability, and depression. The thyroid is critical to mental function. This med will cause you to behave in ways your find surprising. The problem is that this is a T4 only medication. Your body also produces T1, T2, T3."

Denewco March 4, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "This is by far the worst medication I've ever been on! I basically got 30 more problems to attempt to "fix" one problem. I've been on it for a week and a half and have had a horrible rapid heartbeat, feeling like I can't breathe, increased anxiety, a rash covering my whole body, and a distended stomach that makes me look 4 months pregnant, not to mention swollen hands and fatigue (which isn't a big deal) but the other stuff honesty makes me sick. My mom is on it too and has had bad side effects. We both really want to stop taking it but apparently it's really dangerous to get off of it. I feel like I was totally trapped. I hate it! Seriously consider everything before taking it. I wish I would have."

S_Cunningham12 March 4, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "Hi, I am 38yrs old female. I started taking levothyroxine 3 years ago. It took 12 months to reach a correct and stable dosage, which ofcourse was challenging. I take 100ug each morning and it has been nothing short of life changing for me but diet and exercise is also important. My personal experience is that gluten, caffeine and alcohol also really blow me off course even with the levothyroxine. This drug will obviously affect us all in different ways, but If you are new to it, my experience is that it takes time to find your body's equilibrium (12months for me). Don't rely on the drug to do the hard work either, diet and exercise are so important too. Do research on diet, do exercise and pay attention to foods make you feel weird"

CharlieWils March 2, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I began taking Levothyroxine at 25 MCG in October of 2015, I had my partial removal of my right thyroid gland when I was 19 yrs old. I am now 37 and just started taking meds. I was always tired and overweight. Now I take the medication to be honest I don't feel different anyway. I know I'm always constipated and I'm in the process of trying to lose 20 more lbs but I'm stuck at the weight and it isn't coming off. I was put on thyroid medication by a weight loss doctor and just remained on them after I quit. For years I never took any medication but wake up every morning to take this pill. So far the meds don't really make me feel any different. I'm very active and work out a lot. Just doesn't do much for me but afraid if I stop now I will have side effects."

Robbz5 February 28, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have had abdominal cramps, and many of the side effects that are listed on the previous screen concerning this medication. And my Doctor prescribed this?? I'm going to ask my doctor if I can stop this medication, maybe after some blood work. I was amazed at the number of side effects I'm having because of this drug. No wonder!!"

mhami (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 27, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I felt obliged to review Levothyroxine (Eutroxsig), as majority of the medicine reviews you see on the web are negative. I get that certain drugs affect people differently and we want to talk about our experiences - the good and the bad. For me, it has been great. It took a few months before I could notice any difference. I used to feel tired every day with an awful "hangover" feeling - and I really haven't had a day like that since. I take 50 micrograms each morning before I go for a 30 minute walk. I wait another 30 minutes before eating breakfast, and I don't take any vitamins until I've eaten lunch. I do find that it makes me constipated, however taking Metamucil once per day really helps with that."

MishMash11 February 23, 2016

Eutroxsig (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I felt obliged to review Eutroxsig, as majority of the medicine reviews you see on the web are negative. I get that certain drugs affect people differently and we want to talk about our experiences - the good and the bad. Eutroxsig for me, has been great. It took a few months before I could notice any difference. I used to feel tired every day with an awful "hangover" feeling - and I really haven't had a day like that since. I take 50 micrograms each morning before I go for a 30 minute walk. I wait another 30 minutes before eating breakfast, and I don't take any vitamins until I've eaten lunch. I found that it makes me constipated, however taking Metamucil once per day really helps with that. It's so good to feel normal again."

MishMash11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2016