Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Myxedema Coma 1 reviews 18 medications

4.2
Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 214 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Levothyroxine

Review by Bonnie t (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Underactive Thyroid: Diagnosed nearly six yrs ago. Took 50 mg right of, told my dr I feel any different and haven't lost any weight as expected. He said well take 100 then!! Still no difference, joint pain, wt gain, thinning hair. Numbers are within normal limits. What to do?

April 8, 2015 6:29 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: While it brought the TSH into the appropriate range, the exhaustion, lethargy, constipation, etc. was unbearable. For 20 hours out of the day, felt drowsy, unmotivated and sleepy. This is no way to live. Got on Tirosint and what a difference.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2015 6:28 PM

Review by Very Grateful:

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: My disabled brother was previously prescribed generic levothyroxine and brand name, Synthroid. On both, he was basically in a continual state of lethargy to the point where he would fall asleep on the commode or at the dining table. Never heard of Tirosint until requesting help. This medicine has been incredible. No more lethargy and continuous sleeping during the day. Family members have commented that he is more alert, engaged and seems to be happy. They would be correct!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2015 5:58 PM

Review by Luv2Lift:

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: Just Switched from Synthroid. I had been on Synthroid for about 9 years. No fillers.No Brain fog.So Far I feel really good. A lot more Expensive. But I Don't Care.. A lot more Energy. Much better medicine. Try it!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 22, 2015 8:34 AM

Review by Itsmeagain Margaret (taken for 10 years or more):

For Underactive Thyroid: I was on the same dosage of levothyroxine since 2005 and because I had to get new Dr she took me off of it and since then I have gained 40 to 60 pounds!

March 17, 2015 5:43 AM

Review by Kat6156 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Hashimoto's disease: I've been on the same dose for 4 months and my doctor still says I'm in range when my endocrinologist has told them my TSH needs to be around 1. It's 3.80 and the range is 0.2 to 4.2, now I'm constipated 3 times a day, my periods are heavy and my face is full of dry skin. The nurse gets surprised I take so much Levothyroxine due to my size, a UK size 6, and tells me I should be on less than 100mcg.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2015 6:40 PM

Review by Smiling Heidi:

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: The only problem with Tirosint capsules is the out of pocket price... We are low fixed income due to my hubby being an Elderly Disabled Vet and I must be home taking care of him so nearly $44/mo comes out of the grocery $; Yet I prefer Tirosint capsules over any other thyroid meds I have had because I have not had any negative reaction to it like I have all the others I have tried; Levothyroxine tablets I get big migraines. With Armour allergic reaction that makes me into a zombie.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2015 6:15 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: It allowed me to at least sleep better & I don't bruise as easy anymore...but it didn't relieve my swollen ankles, increase my energy, or start my hair to regrow.

February 6, 2015 5:12 PM

Review by Dubble T (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: It's official! My levels are normal and my hair is no longer falling out. Joint pain is also gone.

January 26, 2015 9:28 PM

Review by Mc595:

For Underactive Thyroid: I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism a week and a half ago. I'm 21 and slightly over weight. My thyroid levels were tested because I sweat excessively. I only felt dizzy on the first two days of taking this medicine. I always feel tired right after I take it, but that goes away after I work out or concentrate on something. After about 3-4 days of taking it, I noticed that I was sweating less! I think I'm slimming down (but that could be because I have had more energy to exercise). I take .025 mg. I'll update in a few weeks!

January 20, 2015 11:24 PM

Review by Sabrina Cain:

For Underactive Thyroid: Honestly, I found out that I've was diagnosed after I did a physical at my primary care doctors visit, that my thyroid was under active which was strange because I was wondering why I couldn't lose weight like I wanted but my levels of my thyroid I believe wasn't extremely low. I've been on levothyroxine-0.025mg for about a month and it has been the worst feeling in my whole life. When I started to take the medicine, I notice I was extremely tired the first week of taking it. The symptoms got worse which was I was trembling at night, heart was pounding out of control, sweating really bad, barely eating, diarrhea all the time, lost 5 pounds in like 2 weeks. I went to the emergency room several times and they couldn't see nothing wrong. So frustrating.

January 6, 2015 3:03 AM

Review by Jade23456:

For Hashimoto's disease: I have been taking levothyroxine for 3 weeks and a day. I have fought my case for 12 months trying to argue I needed the medicine because of my quality of life. My blood read normal, however antibodies were present. Since taking the tablets I have better skin, less constipation, sleep better, happier, much less tired, have not gained weight despite eating much more over Christmas! And the most unbelievable reduction in my acanthosis nigricans - the black marks round your neck, under your arms etc. my skin was like leather and almost black. Much paler now and skin is almost normal to touch. The specialist said he recommended I ate more fruit and veg. Taking this tablet has improved my life already. Please persist with your doctor! It's worth it

January 2, 2015 1:33 PM

Review by T Echo:

For Underactive Thyroid: The first two days of taking the medicine, I experienced body aches all over, headaches, thus, I took aspirin in the evening to try to alleviate the pain. The third day and beyond, I felt/feel more energized, no headaches, no backaches, mental clarity, and just relieved. I say you have to give the medicine time to kick in and get in your system. I am thankful.

December 30, 2014 11:59 AM

Review by Dubble t:

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: I love that Synthroid has almost lowered my TSH and I'm feeling better. Though I am always hungry and eating a lot.

December 28, 2014 9:04 PM

Review by meera01:

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for TSH Suppression: I bless Tirosint, after suffering so many gastrointestinal and allergic problems with Synthroid. Tirosint has made all these disappear and I feel more normal again, even in just a week of switching. Cost is the only criteria. I am told you can get coupons.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2014 9:08 AM

Review by Laura Casey (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: Excellent medication! So much better than Synthroid or Levothyroxine. Only problem is the expense!

November 20, 2014 8:40 PM

Review by Sarahappy1 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Underactive Thyroid: I take 75mg levothyroxine. I've learned if I get symptoms its when the dose is too low. I have autoimmune disease and thyroiditis was a side effect. After 21 years undiagnosed I didn't think they'd found the answer. But I'm less swollen everyday, my memory is better, I no longer get cold and my heart. I'd had clammy feet and never realized it was my heart, I was lucky. In 6 months I've gone from 26 stone down to 21 stone and its still going down. Changed my life.

November 12, 2014 7:20 PM

Review by COMtnGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: I started on Tirosint when they stopped making Levoxyl. I had tried the generic Levothyroxine, but I am lactose intolerant, and the fillers in them did not work well for me. I've been taking Tirosint for two years now, and I have never felt better. My TSH levels are optimal, I have better energy, sleep better, and the bloated feeling I had with the generic is gone.

November 10, 2014 12:28 AM

Review by Sam Asare:

Eltroxin (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: Felt normal after thyroid removal. A year after as at now, I feel a bit slow and experience forgetfulness, not quick to remember especially names.

November 8, 2014 8:16 AM

Review by Mizz Annie:

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: Had partial thyroid removal with benign tumor 30+ years ago, was OK until about 2 years ago and routine bloodwork showed low thyroid. After 2 years being OK on the medication suddenly the thyroid levels are dropping again, hair falling out, skin is breaking out in itchy red welts, gaining weight, so Dr upped the dosage. A couple weeks on higher dose I feel like I am "wired" in high gear, can't sit still, talking to myself going in circles, and my hot flashes have really really ramped up big time. Dr. says to give it at least 60 preferably 90 days to adjust, not sure I can hold out that long before stopping it. Hoping there is a better solution out there someplace.

October 27, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by diana grace (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For TSH Suppression: Caused high heart rate, chest pains and weight gain.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 7:47 PM

Review by MrsDMarshall (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: Tirosint is a God sent medication, after many side effects from generic and brand name Synthroid it was determined that I should try this brand. I was never normal until this medication (metabolically, physically or mentally). It just works best. I am my old me again before Hasimoto's disease.

August 22, 2014 7:29 AM

Review by magie G:

Eltroxin (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: been taking Eltroxin for years for underactive thyroid, stopped and never felt better.

August 18, 2014 3:02 PM

Review by ldydi49 (taken for 10 years or more):

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: T4 only did not work for me, my body could not convert the T4 to the needed T3

August 8, 2014 12:30 PM

Review by Ralphh (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Underactive Thyroid: This is a follow up review. I originally gave this 7 stars after a couple hopeful weeks. I also quit smoking and started exercising, among other things, which was the main reason for feeling better. This medicine does improve your TSH and T4 tests which are good tests to make your doctor happy, but will NOT improve your symptoms. You need to improve your T3 levels to improve symptoms. I monitored T3 (total and free) for 7 months on this medicine, and my T3 did not BUDGE. Apparently this is a case with a lot of people, so check those numbers! You will get no symptom relief if this medicine is not converting from T4 to T3.

July 21, 2014 12:35 AM