User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Myxedema Coma 1 reviews 18 medications

Thyroid Suppression Test 2 reviews 18 medications

4.2
Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 248 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Levothyroxine

For Underactive Thyroid: "Diagnosed earlier this year with hypothyroidism after symptoms. I had gained over 35 pounds in a year. I went to the doctor and they put me on Levothyroxine (25 mcg) . I have been on it a month and there is a big difference from before I started the medicine. You must wait at least 6 - 8 weeks before your body even starts to see results because it takes time! In the month that I have been taking it I have gone from 184lbs to 170lbs! I have not changed my diet or exercise routine at all. I am eating more than before (I had no urge to eat and only ate once a day) and actually have hunger pains now to eat. I also take mine at night before bed (it upset my stomach if I took it during the day) and I have more energy and not feeling bloated!!!!"

I'm just trying to feel better (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: "If you are on this medication and are being tested every month, what are the odds that if a new Dr pulls you off other meds after a year, will that change the results? I was on meds for bipolar and arthritis that my new Dr took away, now I can hardly move my arms without wetting my pants from the pain. This is also the Dr that told me after 25 years of taking sleep aids I now DO NOT have insomnia I have sleep apnea. Which is awesome, I lay awake all night not sleeping, but I have a cool mask to fight with instead of sleeping."

aka-pain August 26, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: "Im currently 16 years old, about 4 months ago I had been told I had hypothyroidism, before starting the levothyroxine I gained 80 pounds over a span of 6 months, before this I weighed 117, I was then put on levothyroxine at 197 pounds, it has done nothing but worsen the side effects I already had, shaky hands, hair loss, irregular menstural cycles, weight gain, dry skin, sensitvity to heat, extreme lack of energy, insomnia, I've also gained 20 more pounds since being on it, though I workout 2 hours a day and have 1000 calorie diet I still gain 2 pounds a week, my doctor doesnt think the weight gain is associated with the disease and blew it off, I don't know what else to do - not much more I can take"

ejm01 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2015

For Hashimoto's disease: "In 2009 diagnosed subclinical hypothyroid w/very small nodules! Followed blood type diet along with using fluoride free toothpaste! By 2015 nodules were gone via ultrasound! TSH though at 11. Started Levothyroxine at 25,mcg. Making sure to take it at 9:00pm as the thyroid peaks in the middle of the night. Also NOT to take the medicine with food in a 4 hour window. No more coffee either as it aggravates thyroid symptoms. Doing well making sure with this regiment my levels will not go higher or too low. August 28 is my next blood draw. I'll let you know my level."

Lynda Loo (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: "This medication is okay for me. It has made me more energetic, yes. But it also makes me very sensitive to heat. Also I haven't lost weight like everyone says it does. In fact I think I've gained a few pounds. But over all not bad. I have a lot more energy and less pain and stiffness"

Sydsquid67 August 19, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: "had to rate this a 10. My lethargy and depression feel non existent . Been on medication for 2 weeks, I also feel like my appetite is normal, it's been out of control for a couple yrs, also so surprised my joints aren't as stiff, about 60% improved. I have lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks, without even exercising"

Kristen666 August 18, 2015

Levothyrox (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Been on this med over 5yrs and still don't feel better at all. I still continue to lose lots of hair daily and have sleep problems and can't lose weight."

Sari77 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 18, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: "Been on Synthroid for years, due to insurance mandates, was switched to Levothyroxine generics. Too many manufacture changes when I get Rx renewals. This last time, after 2 months of experiencing intermittent and then continual eruptions of hives/intensive itching - where I would scratch myself causing bleeding during my sleep - I think I have narrowed it down to my latest Rx of this generic. I had completed the usual routine of how to find out what was causing my hives/itching - and finally, the other day I figured it happened about the time I started my new RX. I know it is not good, but I didn't take my levo for two days and my itching has stopped, my skin is beginning to heal. I found an older bottle of levo and am using it."

UpsetKay August 9, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: "I've been taking 0.25 mcg Levothyroxine since, well, today, lol. So far I haven't had any side effects. I was diagnosed with a slightly underactive thyroid which explains my joint pain, depression,puffy face and hair loss. I'm hoping this helps me feel better."

RjoyD (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Since being diagnosed with "Hypothyroidism"(1999). 1st was given antidepressents for being tired and gaining weight (eyeroll). Have been on 88mcg's of *Synthroid-daily.My blood work has always come back with my TSH at the HIGH-end of normal. Former Dr retired years ago so no continuum of care (walk in clinic). Recently new Dr suggested we adjust meds to bring down the TSH level. Started with 100mcg *Levothyroxine 5 days & Synthroid 88-2 days a week.In a few months time I suffered some pretty severe side effects-EXTREME dizziness/weakness,lack of energy,mood extremes,weight is either climbing or stagnant,racing pulse/heartrate.We checked levels & now TSH reads at the extreme low end of normal.I'm scared please help."

Strong independent mom (taken for 10 years or more) August 1, 2015

For Hashimoto's disease: "I have been on Levo for almost a year. I feel awful. My levels are never consistent. Leading the doctor to keep increasing the dose. Last time this caused severe dizzy spells that wouldn't go away. I still have bad hashimotos symptoms. I just had blood work done my T3 is low, my TSH over 4. She raised the dose again even after I refused. I want to try a different medication. I am going to a different doctor in a couple weeks. That can't come soon enough. My legs, knees, and ankles ache constantly. I'm in good shape, I exercise daily. It's so hard now that my legs hurt. I hate this medication. I've heard that the pharmaceutical companies really push this medication over other thyroid meds. This stuff is awful."

Catlady4life July 30, 2015

For Hashimoto's disease: "This medication was a God sent! I am 49 had no idea I had hashimoto til I went to endro dr. and begged him to put me on hormone replacement therapy because I felt aweful all the time. He saw warning signs on a previous bloods test I took with me on my first visit, had more test done and there it was. He started me on 25 mg, then over time increased it to 50, 75 and now I am on 88 the past 2 weeks. All this happened in about a 7 month period. My life has completely changed, no more PMS, no more hormone fluctuations, much easier to loose weight and I don't yo yo all the time, better mood, more energy, overall a much better quality life. I have struggled for almost 30 years and no more. No side effects, maybe low libido, reduced sex drive."

Gerbera66 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 30, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: "I really hope this helps someone, I've had a underactive thyroid for 5 years, it has been very difficult but I will say this thyroxine does help but it must be taken regularly, also I was prescribed vit b12, vit d, iron, I was also diagnosed with sleep aponea. So what I would suggest anyone with under or over active thyroid should get the things I've just mentioned checked just in case. If the doctors had done it sooner it would've made a dramatic change to my health as I'm told its quite common if you have a under or over active thyroid. It's your life doctors won't bother going the extra mile. Good health to all."

Z1980 July 23, 2015

Euthyrox (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "has not relieved any of my symptoms from hashimoto's. Recently I have been getting severe leg muscle, and joint pains. It was not until my son started jot down all of my symptoms that I thought were not related, he figured out that my medication was not doing its job. I originally was on synthroid and switched off because of the cost of it even with insurance and I was having regular side effects from the pills."

Lauita July 22, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Due to variances in generic medications I kept experiencing thyroid fog until my doctor changed me to synthroid. My stats immediately stabilize and it has worked well. I found I must take it as prescribed and at the same time daily to avoid the fog."

Willmarqz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 20, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: "I was finally prescribed this medicine after convincing my DR that all my symptoms pointed to hypothyroidism. Since it considered subclinical at this point, he didn't want me to take medicine at all. I was eating hardly anything (no appetite - less than 1000 calories), exercising only 2 days a week because I was so tired even after sleeping 8 hours and still gaining weight. On the weekends, I could accomplish a couple of things and then had to rest for a couple of hours. My feet were so dry. My joints hurt so bad it was hard to walk. Life had become icky. I have been on this medicine for a little over 2 weeks and feel like my old self again. I am not dieting, stopped gaining weight and can exercise 5 days a week. YEAH!"

SQL4FUN (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was on this med for 11 years. Now another med is cheaper for insurance,I have to use it. I cannot lose weight and my menopausal hormones have done me for a loop this year, but I cannot blame it on the med. My reverseT3 is fine so I don't need cytomel or the natural thyroid meds."

Ditzymudgirl July 13, 2015

Levoxyl (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Taking Levoxyl has been a life saver. When it went off the market, I had a difficult time with Synthroid. However, since the drug came back on market and I've been taking it, my sleep is very disrupted. I have insufficient REM. I have very vivid dreams. My doctor says that this is a side effect."

Bruce99 June 29, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I was taking Levothyroid 75mcg. Lost 15 pounds, stomach pain, unable to eat, shaky, unable to think or exercise. Also have dark, stone hard stools. Will see my endocrinologist next week. When in my 30's, took Synthyroid for 16 years with no problems, then all went as above. Took Levothyroid by Forest for 4 years with no problems until it was taken of the market about 2 years ago."

Borega June 20, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I been taking .025 MG everyday for two months.... I was not sure why I was taking it... I know I had a super low sex drive n now have a high sex drive whereas I have to relieve my self two to three times a day... I get very horny for no reason n notice my sperm is more thicker n I'm producing a lot more now...."

lilcal (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: "was on levothyroxine for 7 months. was on the lowest dosage at first, did nothing for my thyroid and also made my hormones crazy, I would get mad for no reason. After my first blood test my doctor bumped the dosage up to double what I was on and still no change, but my doctor kept me on it for another 2 months and after there was no change she took me off of it. I have now been on armour thyroid for 1 1/2 and it has helped me feel so much better and my levels are perfect."

mrsD92 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 4, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I had a blood test 3 weeks ago and I knew something was wrong. The doctor prescribed this to me. I don't know my numbers. I'm taking 25 mcg. I was tired before but now I feel like I'm dead. Too bad you can't take this medicine at night. I never had a puffy face, but the cold bothered me a little . Very dry skin that developed over the winter. I used to have Addison's Disease, which was easier to check with a simple prick of the finger."

Just started Synthroid 2 days ago (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been dignosed with Hypothyroidism since 2010, my weight has never changed. I've been taking this medicine and no difference in 5 years. I spoke with my doctor and she tells me to continue to take it and referred me to a lady to do the HCG which cost too much money for me to do. Instead of her looking more into my condition and trying another medication. I have scheduled an appointment with another doctor to get help."

kiwi78 April 30, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Due to thyroidectomy I am hypo thyroid .While on synthroid I felt awful. High anxiety, quick to anger. Definitely did not like this drug. I like levoxly and naturethroid. Doing better. Keep trying other meds if you feel awful."

l2b (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Synthroid gave me horrible migraines, two to three a week. Nothing seemed to alleviate them except getting off of the medication"

Missyrue (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2015