User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Myxedema Coma 1 reviews 18 medications

4.2
Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 202 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Levothyroxine

Review by T Echo:

For Underactive Thyroid: The first two days of taking the medicine, I experienced body aches all over, headaches, thus, I took aspirin in the evening to try to alleviate the pain. The third day and beyond, I felt/feel more energized, no headaches, no backaches, mental clarity, and just relieved. I say you have to give the medicine time to kick in and get in your system. I am thankful.

December 30, 2014 11:59 AM

Review by Dubble t:

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: I love that Synthroid has almost lowered my TSH and I'm feeling better. Though I am always hungry and eating a lot.

December 28, 2014 9:04 PM

Review by meera01:

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for TSH Suppression: I bless Tirosint, after suffering so many gastrointestinal and allergic problems with Synthroid. Tirosint has made all these disappear and I feel more normal again, even in just a week of switching. Cost is the only criteria. I am told you can get coupons.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2014 9:08 AM

Review by Laura Casey (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: Excellent medication! So much better than Synthroid or Levothyroxine. Only problem is the expense!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2014 8:40 PM

Review by Sarahappy1 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Underactive Thyroid: I take 75mg levothyroxine. I've learned if I get symptoms its when the dose is too low. I have autoimmune disease and thyroiditis was a side effect. After 21 years undiagnosed I didn't think they'd found the answer. But I'm less swollen everyday, my memory is better, I no longer get cold and my heart. I'd had clammy feet and never realized it was my heart, I was lucky. In 6 months I've gone from 26 stone down to 21 stone and its still going down. Changed my life.

November 12, 2014 7:20 PM

Review by COMtnGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: I started on Tirosint when they stopped making Levoxyl. I had tried the generic Levothyroxine, but I am lactose intolerant, and the fillers in them did not work well for me. I've been taking Tirosint for two years now, and I have never felt better. My TSH levels are optimal, I have better energy, sleep better, and the bloated feeling I had with the generic is gone.

November 10, 2014 12:28 AM

Review by Sam Asare:

Eltroxin (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: Felt normal after thyroid removal. A year after as at now, I feel a bit slow and experience forgetfulness, not quick to remember especially names.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2014 8:16 AM

Review by Mizz Annie:

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: Had partial thyroid removal with benign tumor 30+ years ago, was OK until about 2 years ago and routine bloodwork showed low thyroid. After 2 years being OK on the medication suddenly the thyroid levels are dropping again, hair falling out, skin is breaking out in itchy red welts, gaining weight, so Dr upped the dosage. A couple weeks on higher dose I feel like I am "wired" in high gear, can't sit still, talking to myself going in circles, and my hot flashes have really really ramped up big time. Dr. says to give it at least 60 preferably 90 days to adjust, not sure I can hold out that long before stopping it. Hoping there is a better solution out there someplace.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by diana grace (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For TSH Suppression: Caused high heart rate, chest pains and weight gain.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 7:47 PM

Review by MrsDMarshall (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: Tirosint is a God sent medication, after many side effects from generic and brand name Synthroid it was determined that I should try this brand. I was never normal until this medication (metabolically, physically or mentally). It just works best. I am my old me again before Hasimoto's disease.

August 22, 2014 7:29 AM

Review by magie G:

Eltroxin (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: been taking Eltroxin for years for underactive thyroid, stopped and never felt better.

August 18, 2014 3:02 PM

Review by ldydi49 (taken for 10 years or more):

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: T4 only did not work for me, my body could not convert the T4 to the needed T3

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 12:30 PM

Review by Ralphh (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Underactive Thyroid: This is a follow up review. I originally gave this 7 stars after a couple hopeful weeks. I also quit smoking and started exercising, among other things, which was the main reason for feeling better. This medicine does improve your TSH and T4 tests which are good tests to make your doctor happy, but will NOT improve your symptoms. You need to improve your T3 levels to improve symptoms. I monitored T3 (total and free) for 7 months on this medicine, and my T3 did not BUDGE. Apparently this is a case with a lot of people, so check those numbers! You will get no symptom relief if this medicine is not converting from T4 to T3.

July 21, 2014 12:35 AM

Review by Lala433 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Underactive Thyroid: I've been taking this drug since I was born, every single morning. I originally had an autoimmune disease, but the endocrinologists fixed it, and now I'm stuck forever with hypothyroidism. It's hard waking up at 5:00, in the morning, just to take the medication especially if I have to wake up at six for track in school at 7. It gets hard, long, and boring, but I feel good. I've had thinning of hair and couple of other symptoms and side effects, but it gets better. The medication is really small, and you get used to it, so that is why I gave it 7 stars.

July 4, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by Teeee:

For Thyroid Suppression Test: Tired, depressed, forgetful

March 26, 2014 6:54 AM

Review by bbmjenjen1:

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: The best I have felt since removal of thyroid in July of 2012 after trying combination of dosage to eliminate the dye and other additives.

March 12, 2014 7:45 AM

Review by Pilatescrazy:

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: I have had Hashimoto's since I was in my 30's. Everything I take starts problems with my stomach, skin, hair, and nails. My doctor gave me 2 month supply of Tirosint and I felt 100% better. I am now switching to Tirosint and hoping that it continues to work.

February 25, 2014 12:01 PM

Review by sharonc2006 (taken for 10 years or more):

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: Reading all the posts/comments on here - PEOPLE - if you are still feeling bad and not noticing relief from symptoms of an underactive thryoid PLEASE TELL YOUR doctor. If your doctor disagrees with you then find an ENDOCRINOLOGIST to get a second opinion. They specialize in endocrine issues which the thyroid falls under. You know your own body better than your doctor - research the symptoms of an underactive thryoid and if you are still feeling them - then get a second opinion. Never stop taking this medication on your own, it takes 4 to 6 And be aware that when you start this m weeks to notice a difference in your body. Also, ask your doctor to write DISPENSE AS WRITTEN on your prescription to avoid the pharmacy giving generic

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 12:13 PM

Review by Sharonkc2006:

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: I've been on Synthroid for over 15 years due to Hashimoto's Disease and also partial thyroidectomy due to a nodule. For anyone who is on the medication and says they are feeling depressed, tired, etc. check into the symptoms of hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's disease as it may be that your medication is not at the right dose. My doctor considers 'normal' TSH to be between 1 and 3 while the AMA lists it as between 1 and 5. When I am at a 4, I do not feel well and have all the symptoms. DON'T just STOP taking this medication on your own as you can have severe side effects, GO back to your doctor and discuss how you feel. I cannot take the generics as they do not work for me. Only SYNTHROID for me! (I'm on 225 a day!)

January 19, 2014 12:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Underactive Thyroid: I started taking 25mcg of Levothyroxine about 7 weeks after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I'm on my third day of the medication and I hate it so much that I haven't even taken it this morning. Just 2 days on it and already, I have severe tiredness, sweaty feet, shaky muscles, headaches, shortness of breath in the afternoon, suicidal thoughts, anxiety attacks, sensitivity to heat, and low energy. I'm a dancer and in my last rehearsal I couldn't even dance full out because my energy was so low. I have an appt with my doctor in a few days, so hopefully he'll prescribe a name brand for me. I believe I'm on the generic brand.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2014 5:20 PM

Review by DeboraL.:

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I had my thyroid irradiated in 2005 due to Grave's disease caused by Hep C treatment (Ribivirin & Interferon). At first I saw an endocrinologist that prescribed Armour Thyroid but loss of job and insurance forced me to go to a free clinic, where I receive Synthroid. The clinic doesn't seem to understand the difference between experiencing low thyroid levels from naturally occurring hypothyroidism, & complete loss of thyroid. My NP says to me, incredulously, "You take an awful lot of thyroid!", & at that time I was only taking 75mcg a day. Finally after three years of 75 to 100mcg, when I felt absolutely crazy (tired, confused, hair loss, cranky, paranoid, angry, enormous weight gain), she now has me on 150mcg which seems not perfect but better.

January 7, 2014 12:55 AM

Review by Ralphh (taken for less than 1 month):

For Underactive Thyroid: Just diagnosed, my TSH has been in the 20s-30s, my T3 and T4 are at the low low range. Doctor says I have subclinical hypothyroidism. I refused the medicine for a month, lost 15 pounds, ate healthy, exercised, quit smoking, and was perfect. Unfortunately, TSH did NOT change. Started the medicine -- felt euphoric first few days. Around day 5... I felt like something was "coming back". A feeling that I lost 11 years ago when I was 18yrs old (something I gave up trying to fix when I was 20yrs old). I'm excited by the possibility that perhaps it was my thyroid and I can treat it now. Eager to see how I feel in a couple months! I think I need more than 75mcg. I have no side effects at all.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2013 2:25 PM

Review by hwu:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: One month after being on Levothyroxine (only 25mcg), my hair started to fall out like crazy. (did not have hair loss problem before). I lost 40% of my hair volume in the 4 month-period. I took my courage to stop taking it. 2 days after stopping, my hair loss has gradually subsided. 3 weeks after I stopped the medicine, my hair loss has started to go back to normal. I am hoping my hair to grow back. Another side effect I suggest from the medicine is that I have "burning & dry mouth". That made me very uncomfortable. I feel like a normal person without the medicine. I still have issues with the dry mouth sensation, but a lot better. I hope it will go away.

November 25, 2013 12:04 PM

Review by lost31:

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: My thyroid disease was caught by my determination to find the real cause to my sudden physical & mental change. Long story short I had thyroid cancer twice (2010 & 2012). April 2013 was thyroidectomy, radiation 3 months later. It's taken all my strength not to give up. I'm finally on 175mcg & my endocrinologist is brushing off my complaints of being depressed over nothing, tired, weak, cold, forgetful, wake up to aching feet. She said 2.1 is in range & Synthroid is the solution. It isn't enough! It or my dose isn't jiving with my body. I'm so tired of being tired. Some days it feels like I have cinder blocks tied to my feet.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2013 2:57 AM

Review by Hyposufferer1 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: 6+ years on Synthroid, and this is what I have to show for it..Used to be a size 12 now a 28, no periods, pain all over, Hypo symptoms still, mental and mood symptoms ( anxiety, depression, mood swings) My Growth Hormone is only 40 and my FSH is 78. I can't have children. Finally switched to Cytomel, it broke me out, and still had same symptoms as above. My level was over 20 last they checked. Just got a RX for Armour, hoping I finally get my life back

November 7, 2013 12:39 AM