User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Myxedema Coma 1 reviews 18 medications

4.2
Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 193 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Levothyroxine

Review by MrsDMarshall (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: Tirosint is a God sent medication, after many side effects from generic and brand name Synthroid it was determined that I should try this brand. I was never normal until this medication (metabolically, physically or mentally). It just works best. I am my old me again before Hasimoto's disease.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 22, 2014 7:29 AM

Review by magie G:

Eltroxin (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: been taking Eltroxin for years for underactive thyroid, stopped and never felt better.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 18, 2014 3:02 PM

Review by ldydi49 (taken for 10 years or more):

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: T4 only did not work for me, my body could not convert the T4 to the needed T3

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 12:30 PM

Review by Ralphh (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Underactive Thyroid: This is a follow up review. I originally gave this 7 stars after a couple hopeful weeks. I also quit smoking and started exercising, among other things, which was the main reason for feeling better. This medicine does improve your TSH and T4 tests which are good tests to make your doctor happy, but will NOT improve your symptoms. You need to improve your T3 levels to improve symptoms. I monitored T3 (total and free) for 7 months on this medicine, and my T3 did not BUDGE. Apparently this is a case with a lot of people, so check those numbers! You will get no symptom relief if this medicine is not converting from T4 to T3.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 12:35 AM

Review by Lala433 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Underactive Thyroid: I've been taking this drug since I was born, every single morning. I originally had an autoimmune disease, but the endocrinologists fixed it, and now I'm stuck forever with hypothyroidism. It's hard waking up at 5:00, in the morning, just to take the medication especially if I have to wake up at six for track in school at 7. It gets hard, long, and boring, but I feel good. I've had thinning of hair and couple of other symptoms and side effects, but it gets better. The medication is really small, and you get used to it, so that is why I gave it 7 stars.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by Teeee:

For Thyroid Suppression Test: Tired, depressed, forgetful

March 26, 2014 6:54 AM

Review by bbmjenjen1:

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: The best I have felt since removal of thyroid in July of 2012 after trying combination of dosage to eliminate the dye and other additives.

March 12, 2014 7:45 AM

Review by Pilatescrazy:

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: I have had Hashimoto's since I was in my 30's. Everything I take starts problems with my stomach, skin, hair, and nails. My doctor gave me 2 month supply of Tirosint and I felt 100% better. I am now switching to Tirosint and hoping that it continues to work.

February 25, 2014 12:01 PM

Review by sharonc2006 (taken for 10 years or more):

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: Reading all the posts/comments on here - PEOPLE - if you are still feeling bad and not noticing relief from symptoms of an underactive thryoid PLEASE TELL YOUR doctor. If your doctor disagrees with you then find an ENDOCRINOLOGIST to get a second opinion. They specialize in endocrine issues which the thyroid falls under. You know your own body better than your doctor - research the symptoms of an underactive thryoid and if you are still feeling them - then get a second opinion. Never stop taking this medication on your own, it takes 4 to 6 And be aware that when you start this m weeks to notice a difference in your body. Also, ask your doctor to write DISPENSE AS WRITTEN on your prescription to avoid the pharmacy giving generic

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 12:13 PM

Review by Sharonkc2006:

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: I've been on Synthroid for over 15 years due to Hashimoto's Disease and also partial thyroidectomy due to a nodule. For anyone who is on the medication and says they are feeling depressed, tired, etc. check into the symptoms of hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's disease as it may be that your medication is not at the right dose. My doctor considers 'normal' TSH to be between 1 and 3 while the AMA lists it as between 1 and 5. When I am at a 4, I do not feel well and have all the symptoms. DON'T just STOP taking this medication on your own as you can have severe side effects, GO back to your doctor and discuss how you feel. I cannot take the generics as they do not work for me. Only SYNTHROID for me! (I'm on 225 a day!)

January 19, 2014 12:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Underactive Thyroid: I started taking 25mcg of Levothyroxine about 7 weeks after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I'm on my third day of the medication and I hate it so much that I haven't even taken it this morning. Just 2 days on it and already, I have severe tiredness, sweaty feet, shaky muscles, headaches, shortness of breath in the afternoon, suicidal thoughts, anxiety attacks, sensitivity to heat, and low energy. I'm a dancer and in my last rehearsal I couldn't even dance full out because my energy was so low. I have an appt with my doctor in a few days, so hopefully he'll prescribe a name brand for me. I believe I'm on the generic brand.

January 16, 2014 5:20 PM

Review by DeboraL.:

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I had my thyroid irradiated in 2005 due to Grave's disease caused by Hep C treatment (Ribivirin & Interferon). At first I saw an endocrinologist that prescribed Armour Thyroid but loss of job and insurance forced me to go to a free clinic, where I receive Synthroid. The clinic doesn't seem to understand the difference between experiencing low thyroid levels from naturally occurring hypothyroidism, & complete loss of thyroid. My NP says to me, incredulously, "You take an awful lot of thyroid!", & at that time I was only taking 75mcg a day. Finally after three years of 75 to 100mcg, when I felt absolutely crazy (tired, confused, hair loss, cranky, paranoid, angry, enormous weight gain), she now has me on 150mcg which seems not perfect but better.

January 7, 2014 12:55 AM

Review by Ralphh (taken for less than 1 month):

For Underactive Thyroid: Just diagnosed, my TSH has been in the 20s-30s, my T3 and T4 are at the low low range. Doctor says I have subclinical hypothyroidism. I refused the medicine for a month, lost 15 pounds, ate healthy, exercised, quit smoking, and was perfect. Unfortunately, TSH did NOT change. Started the medicine -- felt euphoric first few days. Around day 5... I felt like something was "coming back". A feeling that I lost 11 years ago when I was 18yrs old (something I gave up trying to fix when I was 20yrs old). I'm excited by the possibility that perhaps it was my thyroid and I can treat it now. Eager to see how I feel in a couple months! I think I need more than 75mcg. I have no side effects at all.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2013 2:25 PM

Review by hwu:

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: One month after being on Levothyroxine (only 25mcg), my hair started to fall out like crazy. (did not have hair loss problem before). I lost 40% of my hair volume in the 4 month-period. I took my courage to stop taking it. 2 days after stopping, my hair loss has gradually subsided. 3 weeks after I stopped the medicine, my hair loss has started to go back to normal. I am hoping my hair to grow back. Another side effect I suggest from the medicine is that I have "burning & dry mouth". That made me very uncomfortable. I feel like a normal person without the medicine. I still have issues with the dry mouth sensation, but a lot better. I hope it will go away.

November 25, 2013 12:04 PM

Review by lost31:

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: My thyroid disease was caught by my determination to find the real cause to my sudden physical & mental change. Long story short I had thyroid cancer twice (2010 & 2012). April 2013 was thyroidectomy, radiation 3 months later. It's taken all my strength not to give up. I'm finally on 175mcg & my endocrinologist is brushing off my complaints of being depressed over nothing, tired, weak, cold, forgetful, wake up to aching feet. She said 2.1 is in range & Synthroid is the solution. It isn't enough! It or my dose isn't jiving with my body. I'm so tired of being tired. Some days it feels like I have cinder blocks tied to my feet.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2013 2:57 AM

Review by Hyposufferer1 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: 6+ years on Synthroid, and this is what I have to show for it..Used to be a size 12 now a 28, no periods, pain all over, Hypo symptoms still, mental and mood symptoms ( anxiety, depression, mood swings) My Growth Hormone is only 40 and my FSH is 78. I can't have children. Finally switched to Cytomel, it broke me out, and still had same symptoms as above. My level was over 20 last they checked. Just got a RX for Armour, hoping I finally get my life back

November 7, 2013 12:39 AM

Review by Hunt hog:

For TSH Suppression: Fifty micro gram doses causes hypertension, weakness, flushed face sweating approximately five hours after taking it.

October 31, 2013 8:26 PM

Review by Tulsiebud:

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I have had thyroid surgery two months ago. I take my daily dosage of levothyroxine every morning before breakfast and I am doing great.

October 25, 2013 11:46 PM

Review by Rose150522:

For Underactive Thyroid: I was first diagnosed with hypothyroidism about six years ago. I had gained a lot of weight and couldn't lose it, and I had almost all symptoms (thinning hair and eyebrows, low body temp, lethargy, etc.) During my first year on thyroxine, I lost 50 pounds. It just came off. I was ecstatic. Slowly, my weight went up. I gained 20 pounds, which was okay because I was still a normal weight. About 3 months ago, my doctor upped by dosage. Suddenly KABOOM - I gained 12 pounds within two months - five of those pounds were gained between last night and this morning. That's when I knew something was wrong. I haven't been overeating and I'm active. But the pounds I've gained will NOT come off. No more.

October 23, 2013 8:32 PM

Review by Hopefullysoon:

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: I was on this medication for about two weeks or so and within the first couple of days it made me feel extremely anxious and depressed. I felt as if I was not in control of my emotions. As if this was not bad enough I also felt an uncomfortable sensation in my neck and experienced trouble sleeping.

October 18, 2013 1:58 AM

Review by Anonymous151637326236:

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: I've been on Synthroid my whole life, it works like a charm. I'm on a dose of 120 right now and its helping.

October 17, 2013 10:50 PM

Review by Squirreltree (taken for less than 1 month):

For Underactive Thyroid: I can't believe how much better I felt immediately after starting this (25 mcg). I resisted taking it for a year. I was afraid of side effects and wasn't convinced that my thyroid was the problem. My TSH was only slightly high (average 6; high 11). I was so used to feeling lousy that whenever the doc asked about my energy, I said it was fine. I thought I was just aging fast (I'm 38). I'm not overweight, I've been athletic most of my life but have dragged during exercise for the past 2 yrs. I've also suffered from persistent depression and anxiety. I took antidepressants for a while but never felt great. I feel so good now. My physical stamina and motivation are back, I wake with energy. Very happy.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2013 1:19 AM

Review by noname817:

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: I have been on synthroid for 20 years. My dosage is 100...To the person whose thyroid was removed and dosage is 250...Sounds a bit high. My tsh level was also 2. 54 the last time I went to the doctor and I feel better than I have in a long time. Anytime I feel a little psycho and mean. I know my levels are off.

October 11, 2013 11:50 AM

Review by atrast (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: I was on Tirosint for over 6 months and during that time I've had fluctuating blood pressure, sore neck and throat, sleepless nights, nervousness, and generally not feeling well. While it may work for some, it didn't work for me. I am now on the natural hormone Armour thyroid and I hope to stay on it.

September 21, 2013 9:31 PM

Review by Sheri67:

For Underactive Thyroid: I have been on this medication for little over 22 yrs and it works great for me. My thyroid died after giving birth with first child. I am taking 0.2 mg every morning.

September 6, 2013 12:32 AM