User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Levothyroxine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 45 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Underactive Thyroid

"I had to take Levothyroxine because of a medication I was taking that affected my thyroid negatively. In my opinion, this is a great medicine. It balanced out my thyroid & I didn't experience any side effects from it. I highly recommend it."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 3, 2016

"I'd rather take the synthroid cause this is not doing its job for my body"

gosein1984 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 1, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Before synthroid I was achy and tired. Now I have headaches...bloating...stomach pain...loose stools and the feeling of being in a fog. I'm only on day 4 of the lowest dose cut in half. I'm stopping it. I was put on it before and it made my heart go to sinus tach but the new doctor insisted I try it again! Hell no! I felt better before the medication!"

Nanny 88done January 23, 2016

"Today is my third day on this medication and so far I haven't had any adverse reactions. I have had a goitre for over twelve years. For years my doctors have been telling me my blood tests are normal. Last year I pushed and had a thyroid scan. They found three nodules with one having its own blood supply. For years I've been silently suffering dealing with low sex drive, weight gain, chronic constipation(enema, laxatives..), brain fog, tiredness, body aches, depression (meds), hair shedding and now I'm noticing my extremities are always cold. And so once again I told my doctor something is wrong. She started me on 25mg levothyroxine I nervous because I don't want more hair loss. Today I wearing a wig ashamed of my hair."

Mrsfullof (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2016

"I rely so much on reviews when I start a new medication. I thought I need to give back. I have severe anxiety about taken new medications so when my endo prescribed Levothyroxine at .025, I looked on here. To tell the truth, most reviews scared me. It's been three days since I took my first dose. No real side effects except I feel like a tad constipated which is new for me because I have IBS. Other than that I can't say it is helping or not. I rated it higher because no side effects yet which I was scared to death of"

Happymenom (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

"For most of my life, I have been on this medication, I don't remember much of my symptoms from before but basically I will usually feel quite tired and cold, which is the main thing that will probably stick with you if you have hypothyroidism. As for treating my "symptoms," I would say it does an alright job. The main issue I see a lot of people talking about is weight loss, I am here to confirm that you will probably weigh less and lose a bit of pounds if you are taking the right dosage, since I have taken the medication for quite a long time, I can confirm that I am on the lighter side of the scale, however I am not speaking for all the users of levothyroxin. Speak with your doctor about whether or not, this is the right medication."

Katya Üjelu January 14, 2016

"Recently, I've been having a lot of headaches, extremely tired and very bad mood swings. Night sweats come and go. Poor sex drive. I'm usually hot or warm. I was also experiencing pain in my feet and I get cramps in my lower calves from time to time. I've been taking levothroxine for about 10 years now. At first, there was a moderate weight loss. Then, just recently over the past six months or so, I gained over thirty pounds. There has been no change in my diet. My doctor checked my TSH levels, not surprised, they were extremely off. He has uped my dosage from 150MCG (I remained on this dosage for 9 years) to 175MCG. This is day one with the new dosage; and I'm hoping all goes well."

Nuthole January 5, 2016

"I have had hyperprolactinemia for many years now (pituitary issue) and earlier this year was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Before being diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I began having difficulty maintaining my prolactin levels, suffered EXTREME fatigue 24-7, had viscious mood swings, and put on some weight. After finally being referred to an Endocrinologist and being put on this medication, a couple months passed and I was finally beginning to feel like my old self again. I no longer have to nap to get through my day, my mood swings are few and far between, and I lost the weight I had previously put on. Only side effects I can list are heat intolerance, flushing, and not that often, heart palpitations."

No Longer Fatigued (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2015

"Since starting this Drug I feel a lot calmer , anxiety has gone. I am on 100mcgs for life, and it has made me less hyper and more focused in living in the Day ."

Big Al . December 1, 2015

"Prescribed .25 levothyroxine (generic) about 4 weeks ago for borderline hypothyroidism. They say "borderline" but, honestly, the TSH ranges are to broad. If your TSH is 4.5.......you're gonna feel it mentally and physically. No earth-shattering side effects to date. However, I will say that I haven't had an anxiety attack since about the first week of starting this....not one and I was having them frequently. Looking forward to some weight loss, but nothing so far."

CaraD November 16, 2015

"I have been on both sythnoid and levothyroxine Since march 2015 and have no issues with either medicine. Unless it was my fault for not taking it. Very bad idea. My levels changed for the better and my dr took me off cold turkey. Not wise. So I took half a pill to be 25mg and I am fine. Once in awhile I feel nervous or anxious so I increase to 50mg . Then go back to 25mg."

just my experience (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2015

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "Devastating side effects - I have developed severely crippling joint pain in both knees, debilitating nerve pain in feet after 12 weeks of taking this drug for underactive thyroid. Also experiencing muscle spasms, tremors, depression, suicidal thoughts, restlessness, some chest pains and tingling all over body. If I could have given it a lower rating, I would have."

Jial (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2015

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "I had been on levothyroxine for about 6 years with no problems. I got a new doctor closer to my home & he switched me to this drug, On it just 2 weeks I got severe anxiety attacks (hyperventilating). He has given me samples so I do not know if this will be covered by my insurance yet. I got a blood test & he said the levels were fine that I should see my internist for my anxiety. NOT. I will go back on my regular meds for 2 weeks then try this again. I think it is this drug."

Capo98mam October 24, 2015

Levothyrox (levothyroxine): "I love it but my doctor want's to take me off of it ."

yel October 15, 2015

"Worst drug ever taken. It's like living half dead."

Suzie D October 14, 2015

"I took levothyrine 0.05(50mcg)for 4 days.On day 3 developed side effects of joint pain, muscle weakness, fatigue, crying and severe hunger pains and insomnia. On day 4 all of these side effects intensified in addition to developing itching skin and sweating .I called my all night pharmacy because this all came to a head on a Friday night and doctors office was closed. I was told to stop taking it because I was having a severe reaction to it. I have not taken this in 2 days and I'm still sick with joint pain,weakness itching and sweating. I will never take this again. By the way my TSH was 6.4 and was having no hypothyroidism symptoms. I only found this out due to yearly lab work and physical."

jackie2222 (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2015

"Diagnosed under active in July. Put on Lev 0.25 First two weeks my knuckles were killing me on both the left and right hands. Up to three weeks still had hair falling out. I have to say I'm on almost 90 days and I lost weight, feel great, and my levels are normal. So far so good!!!!"

NYADGIRL19 October 7, 2015

"I was recently placed on .25mg of levothyroxine. My primary concern for requesting a thyroid test was my thinning hair. I've also been on an anti-depressant for nearly 9 years. I'm really hoping to see a positive change in my mood, energy level and my thinning hair. 39y.o female. Wish me luck!"

tutti pop September 30, 2015

Levothroid (levothyroxine): "After two months I am still nauseous all day after taking the medicine. I've lost 30 lbs and when I tried to donate blood to hit the ten gallon lifetime, my iron levels were very low. Have never had a problem with my iron levels."

Maggie4444 September 24, 2015

"I've been taking levothyoxine for a week and a half now and before it I would fall asleep at work, when I was driving, just watching tv. There was a time that I went through 5 different sleep medications in 2 months to try and figure out the right one because nothing was working for me. My whole body ached, and worst of all my hair was falling out. The first couple of days taking the medication my body ached really bad but it got better. I lost 12 pounds already and my hair stopped falling out. I also am able to get through the day without falling asleep and because I don't fall asleep during the day I get tired during the night! I love it."

Olivia_G September 14, 2015

"I started taking Levothyroxine around 2 months ago ,building up from 50 to 75. Recently had blood test back, and my results have come back as normal now! I went from nearly collapsing whilst out walking my dog. Having aches and pains. Brainfog, no energy at all...falling asleep at the drop of a hat!! Fights with hubby ,because I was so fatigued! Was going on like that for years, until Doctor gave me the bloodtest,and realized It was a medical condition..I thought it was me ,just being tired and irritable. Now I am starting to recover, slowly ,,weight gain .Went from 9stone to 12.2. 3 stone. now I have to lose al this weight because of hypothyroidism..nightmare! But I feel more awake , more energy ,hope this review helps someone!"

tania t (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2015

"Was really afraid to try these after reading all the awful side effects. However been on them for 3 months and although I haven't lost weight I'm not gaining either which for me is something totally new as I was either losing weight by extreme dieting or gaining weight like crazy, my weight was never stable. It's so nice to get weighed after a weekend away not to find I had gained 7lbs in 2 days. When I was in NYC before I started these meds I gained 10lbs in 5 days, I couldn't even fasten my jeans on the 2nd day. This became a depressing way of life for me. I suffer for no side effects either. My TSH was 4.5 and im TTC so im hoping to gets it down to under 2 to get pregnant. I miscarried 6 years ago and it looks like my thyroid was to blame"

rcjhl September 6, 2015

"Diagnosed earlier this year with hypothyroidism after symptoms. I had gained over 35 pounds in a year. I went to the doctor and they put me on Levothyroxine (25 mcg) . I have been on it a month and there is a big difference from before I started the medicine. You must wait at least 6 - 8 weeks before your body even starts to see results because it takes time! In the month that I have been taking it I have gone from 184lbs to 170lbs! I have not changed my diet or exercise routine at all. I am eating more than before (I had no urge to eat and only ate once a day) and actually have hunger pains now to eat. I also take mine at night before bed (it upset my stomach if I took it during the day) and I have more energy and not feeling bloated!!!!"

I'm just trying to feel better (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2015

"If you are on this medication and are being tested every month, what are the odds that if a new Dr pulls you off other meds after a year, will that change the results? I was on meds for bipolar and arthritis that my new Dr took away, now I can hardly move my arms without wetting my pants from the pain. This is also the Dr that told me after 25 years of taking sleep aids I now DO NOT have insomnia I have sleep apnea. Which is awesome, I lay awake all night not sleeping, but I have a cool mask to fight with instead of sleeping."

aka-pain August 26, 2015

"Im currently 16 years old, about 4 months ago I had been told I had hypothyroidism, before starting the levothyroxine I gained 80 pounds over a span of 6 months, before this I weighed 117, I was then put on levothyroxine at 197 pounds, it has done nothing but worsen the side effects I already had, shaky hands, hair loss, irregular menstural cycles, weight gain, dry skin, sensitvity to heat, extreme lack of energy, insomnia, I've also gained 20 more pounds since being on it, though I workout 2 hours a day and have 1000 calorie diet I still gain 2 pounds a week, my doctor doesnt think the weight gain is associated with the disease and blew it off, I don't know what else to do - not much more I can take"

ejm01 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2015