User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Levothyroxine Review Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 42 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Underactive Thyroid

"Im currently 16 years old, about 4 months ago I had been told I had hypothyroidism, before starting the levothyroxine I gained 80 pounds over a span of 6 months, before this I weighed 117, I was then put on levothyroxine at 197 pounds, it has done nothing but worsen the side effects I already had, shaky hands, hair loss, irregular menstural cycles, weight gain, dry skin, sensitvity to heat, extreme lack of energy, insomnia, I've also gained 20 more pounds since being on it, though I workout 2 hours a day and have 1000 calorie diet I still gain 2 pounds a week, my doctor doesnt think the weight gain is associated with the disease and blew it off, I don't know what else to do - not much more I can take"

ejm01 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2015

"This medication is okay for me. It has made me more energetic, yes. But it also makes me very sensitive to heat. Also I haven't lost weight like everyone says it does. In fact I think I've gained a few pounds. But over all not bad. I have a lot more energy and less pain and stiffness"

Sydsquid67 August 19, 2015

"had to rate this a 10. My lethargy and depression feel non existent . Been on medication for 2 weeks, I also feel like my appetite is normal, it's been out of control for a couple yrs, also so surprised my joints aren't as stiff, about 60% improved. I have lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks, without even exercising"

Kristen666 August 18, 2015

Levothyrox (levothyroxine): "Been on this med over 5yrs and still don't feel better at all. I still continue to lose lots of hair daily and have sleep problems and can't lose weight."

Sari77 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 18, 2015

"Been on Synthroid for years, due to insurance mandates, was switched to Levothyroxine generics. Too many manufacture changes when I get Rx renewals. This last time, after 2 months of experiencing intermittent and then continual eruptions of hives/intensive itching - where I would scratch myself causing bleeding during my sleep - I think I have narrowed it down to my latest Rx of this generic. I had completed the usual routine of how to find out what was causing my hives/itching - and finally, the other day I figured it happened about the time I started my new RX. I know it is not good, but I didn't take my levo for two days and my itching has stopped, my skin is beginning to heal. I found an older bottle of levo and am using it."

UpsetKay August 9, 2015

"I've been taking 0.25 mcg Levothyroxine since, well, today, lol. So far I haven't had any side effects. I was diagnosed with a slightly underactive thyroid which explains my joint pain, depression,puffy face and hair loss. I'm hoping this helps me feel better."

RjoyD (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Since being diagnosed with "Hypothyroidism"(1999). 1st was given antidepressents for being tired and gaining weight (eyeroll). Have been on 88mcg's of *Synthroid-daily.My blood work has always come back with my TSH at the HIGH-end of normal. Former Dr retired years ago so no continuum of care (walk in clinic). Recently new Dr suggested we adjust meds to bring down the TSH level. Started with 100mcg *Levothyroxine 5 days & Synthroid 88-2 days a week.In a few months time I suffered some pretty severe side effects-EXTREME dizziness/weakness,lack of energy,mood extremes,weight is either climbing or stagnant,racing pulse/heartrate.We checked levels & now TSH reads at the extreme low end of normal.I'm scared please help."

Strong independent mom (taken for 10 years or more) August 1, 2015

"I really hope this helps someone, I've had a underactive thyroid for 5 years, it has been very difficult but I will say this thyroxine does help but it must be taken regularly, also I was prescribed vit b12, vit d, iron, I was also diagnosed with sleep aponea. So what I would suggest anyone with under or over active thyroid should get the things I've just mentioned checked just in case. If the doctors had done it sooner it would've made a dramatic change to my health as I'm told its quite common if you have a under or over active thyroid. It's your life doctors won't bother going the extra mile. Good health to all."

Z1980 July 23, 2015

"I was finally prescribed this medicine after convincing my DR that all my symptoms pointed to hypothyroidism. Since it considered subclinical at this point, he didn't want me to take medicine at all. I was eating hardly anything (no appetite - less than 1000 calories), exercising only 2 days a week because I was so tired even after sleeping 8 hours and still gaining weight. On the weekends, I could accomplish a couple of things and then had to rest for a couple of hours. My feet were so dry. My joints hurt so bad it was hard to walk. Life had become icky. I have been on this medicine for a little over 2 weeks and feel like my old self again. I am not dieting, stopped gaining weight and can exercise 5 days a week. YEAH!"

SQL4FUN (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2015

Levoxyl (levothyroxine): "Taking Levoxyl has been a life saver. When it went off the market, I had a difficult time with Synthroid. However, since the drug came back on market and I've been taking it, my sleep is very disrupted. I have insufficient REM. I have very vivid dreams. My doctor says that this is a side effect."

Bruce99 June 29, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I been taking .025 MG everyday for two months.... I was not sure why I was taking it... I know I had a super low sex drive n now have a high sex drive whereas I have to relieve my self two to three times a day... I get very horny for no reason n notice my sperm is more thicker n I'm producing a lot more now...."

lilcal (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

"was on levothyroxine for 7 months. was on the lowest dosage at first, did nothing for my thyroid and also made my hormones crazy, I would get mad for no reason. After my first blood test my doctor bumped the dosage up to double what I was on and still no change, but my doctor kept me on it for another 2 months and after there was no change she took me off of it. I have now been on armour thyroid for 1 1/2 and it has helped me feel so much better and my levels are perfect."

mrsD92 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 4, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I had a blood test 3 weeks ago and I knew something was wrong. The doctor prescribed this to me. I don't know my numbers. I'm taking 25 mcg. I was tired before but now I feel like I'm dead. Too bad you can't take this medicine at night. I never had a puffy face, but the cold bothered me a little . Very dry skin that developed over the winter. I used to have Addison's Disease, which was easier to check with a simple prick of the finger."

Just started Synthroid 2 days ago (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"I have been dignosed with Hypothyroidism since 2010, my weight has never changed. I've been taking this medicine and no difference in 5 years. I spoke with my doctor and she tells me to continue to take it and referred me to a lady to do the HCG which cost too much money for me to do. Instead of her looking more into my condition and trying another medication. I have scheduled an appointment with another doctor to get help."

kiwi78 April 30, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Synthroid gave me horrible migraines, two to three a week. Nothing seemed to alleviate them except getting off of the medication"

Missyrue (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2015

"Diagnosed nearly six yrs ago. Took 50 mg right of, told my dr I feel any different and haven't lost any weight as expected. He said well take 100 then!! Still no difference, joint pain, wt gain, thinning hair. Numbers are within normal limits. What to do?"

Bonnie t (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2015

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "I have been on one form of hypothyroid meds for the last 20 years. I have used Tirosint for a year and half. The only thing that I can say for it is the doctor loves it. I hate it. I was hoping it would help with my fatigue, swelling, and forgetfulness. The only thing that has changed for me is my cheeks are redder, I feel bloated all the time, and I am losing my hair. I'm still tired, and still think I'm losing my mind. Logical worked better than all of them including the Armui"

Sherman TX April 6, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "While it brought the TSH into the appropriate range, the exhaustion, lethargy, constipation, etc. was unbearable. For 20 hours out of the day, felt drowsy, unmotivated and sleepy. This is no way to live. Got on Tirosint and what a difference."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2015

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "My disabled brother was previously prescribed generic levothyroxine and brand name, Synthroid. On both, he was basically in a continual state of lethargy to the point where he would fall asleep on the commode or at the dining table. Never heard of Tirosint until requesting help. This medicine has been incredible. No more lethargy and continuous sleeping during the day. Family members have commented that he is more alert, engaged and seems to be happy. They would be correct!"

Very Grateful March 30, 2015

"I was on the same dosage of levothyroxine since 2005 and because I had to get new Dr she took me off of it and since then I have gained 40 to 60 pounds!"

Itsmeagain Margaret (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I began taking my Synthroid three weeks ago and I feel great. First I began breaking my 25 mcg pills into quarters and started out taking only a 1/4 pill. I do this in the morning with a glass of water. I am now taking one 25 mcg pill. My sleeping has improved, I have more energy, my skin looks better and my face does not look tired,. I refused to take this drug initially when I was first diagnosed in 2011 because of a bad scare taking the generic brand, so I let my new meds sit for six months before trying this brand. It works wonders for me and being a life-long gym and karate guy, I have more energy to do laps in the pool and do weights too. I have taken iodine and it works ok, but nothing like my Synthroid. Time will tell."

sd21 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2015

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "i've tried EVERYTHING. armour did not work for me at all. neither did levoxyl. i know people who swear by armour. i've tried generics. the generic made by abbott lab worked really well (tbey also make synthroid). while i felt better on synthroid or abbott's generic, i did not feel NORMAL. much to my surprise, i feel normal on tirosint. i have energy i haven't had for more than 15 years.... i don't know whether my thyroid will stabilize with this -- but i feel the urge to exercise which i've never had on anything else. my brain is clear and my vision is improving. blood levels were always 'normal' on everything else. but that doesn't mean it was getting cell use.... too expensive, but i can't afford to keep feeling crappy or less than.."

crissy mouse (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2015

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "The only problem with Tirosint capsules is the out of pocket price... We are low fixed income due to my hubby being an Elderly Disabled Vet and I must be home taking care of him so nearly $44/mo comes out of the grocery $; Yet I prefer Tirosint capsules over any other thyroid meds I have had because I have not had any negative reaction to it like I have all the others I have tried; Levothyroxine tablets I get big migraines. With Armour allergic reaction that makes me into a zombie. "

Smiling Heidi February 20, 2015

"I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism. My TSH level was close to 7. I felt dizzy and had a low appetite for the first few days on levithyroxine. I started to feel better after that but on the third week I felt depressed, I couldn't process what I was reading, I felt paranoid, and had no energy. It was scary! I requested another blood test and the results showed that my TSH levels dropped to .5. My dosage will go from 25mcg to 12.5mcg starting tomorrow. I will come back in a few weeks."

21YearOldFemale (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "It allowed me to at least sleep better & I don't bruise as easy anymore...but it didn't relieve my swollen ankles, increase my energy, or start my hair to regrow."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2015