Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Levothyroxine review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 42 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Underactive Thyroid

Review by Missyrue (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Synthroid (levothyroxine): Synthroid gave me horrible migraines, two to three a week. Nothing seemed to alleviate them except getting off of the medication

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2015 10:59 PM

Review by Bonnie t (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Diagnosed nearly six yrs ago. Took 50 mg right of, told my dr I feel any different and haven't lost any weight as expected. He said well take 100 then!! Still no difference, joint pain, wt gain, thinning hair. Numbers are within normal limits. What to do?

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2015 6:29 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Synthroid (levothyroxine): While it brought the TSH into the appropriate range, the exhaustion, lethargy, constipation, etc. was unbearable. For 20 hours out of the day, felt drowsy, unmotivated and sleepy. This is no way to live. Got on Tirosint and what a difference.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2015 6:28 PM

Review by Very Grateful:

Tirosint (levothyroxine): My disabled brother was previously prescribed generic levothyroxine and brand name, Synthroid. On both, he was basically in a continual state of lethargy to the point where he would fall asleep on the commode or at the dining table. Never heard of Tirosint until requesting help. This medicine has been incredible. No more lethargy and continuous sleeping during the day. Family members have commented that he is more alert, engaged and seems to be happy. They would be correct!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2015 5:58 PM

Review by Itsmeagain Margaret (taken for 10 years or more):

I was on the same dosage of levothyroxine since 2005 and because I had to get new Dr she took me off of it and since then I have gained 40 to 60 pounds!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2015 5:43 AM

Review by Smiling Heidi:

Tirosint (levothyroxine): The only problem with Tirosint capsules is the out of pocket price... We are low fixed income due to my hubby being an Elderly Disabled Vet and I must be home taking care of him so nearly $44/mo comes out of the grocery $; Yet I prefer Tirosint capsules over any other thyroid meds I have had because I have not had any negative reaction to it like I have all the others I have tried; Levothyroxine tablets I get big migraines. With Armour allergic reaction that makes me into a zombie.

February 20, 2015 6:15 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Synthroid (levothyroxine): It allowed me to at least sleep better & I don't bruise as easy anymore...but it didn't relieve my swollen ankles, increase my energy, or start my hair to regrow.

February 6, 2015 5:12 PM

Review by Dubble T (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Synthroid (levothyroxine): It's official! My levels are normal and my hair is no longer falling out. Joint pain is also gone.

January 26, 2015 9:28 PM

Review by Mc595:

I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism a week and a half ago. I'm 21 and slightly over weight. My thyroid levels were tested because I sweat excessively. I only felt dizzy on the first two days of taking this medicine. I always feel tired right after I take it, but that goes away after I work out or concentrate on something. After about 3-4 days of taking it, I noticed that I was sweating less! I think I'm slimming down (but that could be because I have had more energy to exercise). I take .025 mg. I'll update in a few weeks!

January 20, 2015 11:24 PM

Review by Sabrina Cain:

Honestly, I found out that I've was diagnosed after I did a physical at my primary care doctors visit, that my thyroid was under active which was strange because I was wondering why I couldn't lose weight like I wanted but my levels of my thyroid I believe wasn't extremely low. I've been on levothyroxine-0.025mg for about a month and it has been the worst feeling in my whole life. When I started to take the medicine, I notice I was extremely tired the first week of taking it. The symptoms got worse which was I was trembling at night, heart was pounding out of control, sweating really bad, barely eating, diarrhea all the time, lost 5 pounds in like 2 weeks. I went to the emergency room several times and they couldn't see nothing wrong. So frustrating.

January 6, 2015 3:03 AM

Review by T Echo:

The first two days of taking the medicine, I experienced body aches all over, headaches, thus, I took aspirin in the evening to try to alleviate the pain. The third day and beyond, I felt/feel more energized, no headaches, no backaches, mental clarity, and just relieved. I say you have to give the medicine time to kick in and get in your system. I am thankful.

December 30, 2014 11:59 AM

Review by Dubble t:

Synthroid (levothyroxine): I love that Synthroid has almost lowered my TSH and I'm feeling better. Though I am always hungry and eating a lot.

December 28, 2014 9:04 PM

Review by Laura Casey (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Tirosint (levothyroxine): Excellent medication! So much better than Synthroid or Levothyroxine. Only problem is the expense!

November 20, 2014 8:40 PM

Review by Sarahappy1 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I take 75mg levothyroxine. I've learned if I get symptoms its when the dose is too low. I have autoimmune disease and thyroiditis was a side effect. After 21 years undiagnosed I didn't think they'd found the answer. But I'm less swollen everyday, my memory is better, I no longer get cold and my heart. I'd had clammy feet and never realized it was my heart, I was lucky. In 6 months I've gone from 26 stone down to 21 stone and its still going down. Changed my life.

November 12, 2014 7:20 PM

Review by Mizz Annie:

Synthroid (levothyroxine): Had partial thyroid removal with benign tumor 30+ years ago, was OK until about 2 years ago and routine bloodwork showed low thyroid. After 2 years being OK on the medication suddenly the thyroid levels are dropping again, hair falling out, skin is breaking out in itchy red welts, gaining weight, so Dr upped the dosage. A couple weeks on higher dose I feel like I am "wired" in high gear, can't sit still, talking to myself going in circles, and my hot flashes have really really ramped up big time. Dr. says to give it at least 60 preferably 90 days to adjust, not sure I can hold out that long before stopping it. Hoping there is a better solution out there someplace.

October 27, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by magie G:

Eltroxin (levothyroxine): been taking Eltroxin for years for underactive thyroid, stopped and never felt better.

August 18, 2014 3:02 PM

Review by Ralphh (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This is a follow up review. I originally gave this 7 stars after a couple hopeful weeks. I also quit smoking and started exercising, among other things, which was the main reason for feeling better. This medicine does improve your TSH and T4 tests which are good tests to make your doctor happy, but will NOT improve your symptoms. You need to improve your T3 levels to improve symptoms. I monitored T3 (total and free) for 7 months on this medicine, and my T3 did not BUDGE. Apparently this is a case with a lot of people, so check those numbers! You will get no symptom relief if this medicine is not converting from T4 to T3.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 12:35 AM

Review by Lala433 (taken for 10 years or more):

I've been taking this drug since I was born, every single morning. I originally had an autoimmune disease, but the endocrinologists fixed it, and now I'm stuck forever with hypothyroidism. It's hard waking up at 5:00, in the morning, just to take the medication especially if I have to wake up at six for track in school at 7. It gets hard, long, and boring, but I feel good. I've had thinning of hair and couple of other symptoms and side effects, but it gets better. The medication is really small, and you get used to it, so that is why I gave it 7 stars.

July 4, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by sharonc2006 (taken for 10 years or more):

Synthroid (levothyroxine): Reading all the posts/comments on here - PEOPLE - if you are still feeling bad and not noticing relief from symptoms of an underactive thryoid PLEASE TELL YOUR doctor. If your doctor disagrees with you then find an ENDOCRINOLOGIST to get a second opinion. They specialize in endocrine issues which the thyroid falls under. You know your own body better than your doctor - research the symptoms of an underactive thryoid and if you are still feeling them - then get a second opinion. Never stop taking this medication on your own, it takes 4 to 6 And be aware that when you start this m weeks to notice a difference in your body. Also, ask your doctor to write DISPENSE AS WRITTEN on your prescription to avoid the pharmacy giving generic

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 12:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I started taking 25mcg of Levothyroxine about 7 weeks after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I'm on my third day of the medication and I hate it so much that I haven't even taken it this morning. Just 2 days on it and already, I have severe tiredness, sweaty feet, shaky muscles, headaches, shortness of breath in the afternoon, suicidal thoughts, anxiety attacks, sensitivity to heat, and low energy. I'm a dancer and in my last rehearsal I couldn't even dance full out because my energy was so low. I have an appt with my doctor in a few days, so hopefully he'll prescribe a name brand for me. I believe I'm on the generic brand.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2014 5:20 PM

Review by Ralphh (taken for less than 1 month):

Just diagnosed, my TSH has been in the 20s-30s, my T3 and T4 are at the low low range. Doctor says I have subclinical hypothyroidism. I refused the medicine for a month, lost 15 pounds, ate healthy, exercised, quit smoking, and was perfect. Unfortunately, TSH did NOT change. Started the medicine -- felt euphoric first few days. Around day 5... I felt like something was "coming back". A feeling that I lost 11 years ago when I was 18yrs old (something I gave up trying to fix when I was 20yrs old). I'm excited by the possibility that perhaps it was my thyroid and I can treat it now. Eager to see how I feel in a couple months! I think I need more than 75mcg. I have no side effects at all.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2013 2:25 PM

Review by Rose150522:

I was first diagnosed with hypothyroidism about six years ago. I had gained a lot of weight and couldn't lose it, and I had almost all symptoms (thinning hair and eyebrows, low body temp, lethargy, etc.) During my first year on thyroxine, I lost 50 pounds. It just came off. I was ecstatic. Slowly, my weight went up. I gained 20 pounds, which was okay because I was still a normal weight. About 3 months ago, my doctor upped by dosage. Suddenly KABOOM - I gained 12 pounds within two months - five of those pounds were gained between last night and this morning. That's when I knew something was wrong. I haven't been overeating and I'm active. But the pounds I've gained will NOT come off. No more.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2013 8:32 PM

Review by Squirreltree (taken for less than 1 month):

I can't believe how much better I felt immediately after starting this (25 mcg). I resisted taking it for a year. I was afraid of side effects and wasn't convinced that my thyroid was the problem. My TSH was only slightly high (average 6; high 11). I was so used to feeling lousy that whenever the doc asked about my energy, I said it was fine. I thought I was just aging fast (I'm 38). I'm not overweight, I've been athletic most of my life but have dragged during exercise for the past 2 yrs. I've also suffered from persistent depression and anxiety. I took antidepressants for a while but never felt great. I feel so good now. My physical stamina and motivation are back, I wake with energy. Very happy.

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2013 1:19 AM

Review by atrast (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Tirosint (levothyroxine): I was on Tirosint for over 6 months and during that time I've had fluctuating blood pressure, sore neck and throat, sleepless nights, nervousness, and generally not feeling well. While it may work for some, it didn't work for me. I am now on the natural hormone Armour thyroid and I hope to stay on it.

September 21, 2013 9:31 PM

Review by Sheri67:

I have been on this medication for little over 22 yrs and it works great for me. My thyroid died after giving birth with first child. I am taking 0.2 mg every morning.

September 6, 2013 12:32 AM