User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Levothyroxine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Underactive Thyroid

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "will ruin your life"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2016

"I've been on this 7-8 years and it works well. I able to maintain my idle body weight. When 1st taking it, I was starving and ate everything under the soon. After adjusting to the medicine, I'm able to stay at 115 lbs which is perfect for me. I also have fibromyalgia and feel tired all the time."

Susieq88888 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2016

"I've been on this drug since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at around twelve years old. It hasn't done anything especially dramatic or life changing. I am able to lose weight and I am not tired and sluggish. I don't believe I have experienced any of the known side effects. This drug works for me, that's all I can ask."

ihavemigraines (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2016

"I have been on Levothyroxin for four years. I have no thyroid. I have gained 60 pounds. I am angry about the weight gain. I have absolutely no energy when I used to have too much. The major problem that I found with this drug is that it gives me bad heart burn. I also have heart palpitations. The doctor claims my levels are where they should be and refuse to switch me to anything else."

202400 April 18, 2016

"My thyroid test showed it to be under active, Dr increased Levothyroxine to 100 MCG to be taken two hours on empty stomach before I can eat! I guestioned Pharmacist and he confirmed two hours wate. Very difficult to wait 2 hours! I take several other medications! What can I do?"

Berlene April 10, 2016

"I loved it when I first started. Felt more energized, lost weight, felt good. Now 8 months in and a dosage of 100mcg my levels are normal but I feel worse off. Sore throats, mouth ulcers, painful diarrhea after mildly acidic foods, insomnia, weight gain, joint pain, hair thinning. Requested a full panel of all 4 and tsh but doctors won't adjust anything since my levels are normal range. I feel worse on this medicine long term than I did before taking it. Hoping to try the dessicated hormone if I can find someone who can prescribe it."

Randino (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 3, 2016

"I started with Armour Thyroid 15 and felt better. When dose was increased to 30, I started to have mild swelling in my hands. My doctor said, it's a side effect. It did not bother me a lot. When dose was increased to 60, I started to have more swelling in my hands, increased appetite, weird muscle and joints pain. I did research and think T3 in Armour Thyroid caused it. I asked doctor to change Armour Thyroid to Levothyroxine and miracle happened: appetite decreased, swelling in hands, muscle and joints pain disappeared. I guess my body produced enough T3 by it's own and extra T3 from Armour Thyroid was too much for me. Removing Armour Thyroid I removed extra T3 and made all those symptoms disappear."

Irenebluesky (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2016

"I have been on this medicine for 7 years. It works well for my thyroid but it does nothing for my weight at all. I've tried dieting and exercising but it won't even burn 1 lb."

Kara Kelly (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 26, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "Personally I really like Tirosint better than any other Thyroid medication I've taken. I was on Armor for 3 months and started to lose my hair and my nails got very thin. Then I switched to Synthroid hoping that my hair would stop falling out. But it only got worse. After a month on Synthroid I lost at least half my hair. So I talked to my Doctor and we switched me to Tirosint and after 3 weeks of using it my hair has barely fallen out! I personally have had no harmful side effects with Tirosint and I am glad I switched. Yes it may be a little pricey a month but its totally worth not having my hair fall out!"

Hypothyroidism Victim March 19, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I just started this medicine about a month ago. It is making such a big difference in my appetite and my energy. I am a fairly young man at 23 years old. I knew something wasn't right with my body over the last few years, as I had gained about 30 pounds over the course of just a few months and felt so sluggish. It turns out, like many of you reading this, I have an underactive thyroid. I have heard that three drugs help with the thyroid hormones. Synthroid (T4 hormone), Cytomel (T3 hormone), and Armour Thyroid (T4 & T3 Hormones). Synthroid has gotten a bad rap because it's synthetic and it only covers the T4. Well, the T4 is most likely all you need because a T3 deficiency is rare. Synthroid is great. Stomach upset went away in 1-2 weeks."

Vinayyyyy070709 March 16, 2016

"On it since 01/2016, emotionally and mentally, I feel so much calmer. I used to explode for everything. I have yet to have an argument with my husband since the pill officially started working in my system. I feel so much happier! I haven't lost weight but I do feel less bloated. My heart rate is down. Cons: back acne (not even as a teen did I have acne), a lot of heartburn (especially at night), I notice these side effects get worst if I don't take it at my usual 4am. I know it says to take it at least 30 minutes before a meal but I feel better if I wait at least three to four hours before I eat. Biggest observation to control side effects is the timing at which I take the pill, 3am to 4 am works the best for me."

Pros and Cons for ME (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

"This is by far the worst medication I've ever been on! I basically got 30 more problems to attempt to "fix" one problem. I've been on it for a week and a half and have had a horrible rapid heartbeat, feeling like I can't breathe, increased anxiety, a rash covering my whole body, and a distended stomach that makes me look 4 months pregnant, not to mention swollen hands and fatigue (which isn't a big deal) but the other stuff honesty makes me sick. My mom is on it too and has had bad side effects. We both really want to stop taking it but apparently it's really dangerous to get off of it. I feel like I was totally trapped. I hate it! Seriously consider everything before taking it. I wish I would have."

S_Cunningham12 March 4, 2016

"Hi, I am 38yrs old female. I started taking levothyroxine 3 years ago. It took 12 months to reach a correct and stable dosage, which ofcourse was challenging. I take 100ug each morning and it has been nothing short of life changing for me but diet and exercise is also important. My personal experience is that gluten, caffeine and alcohol also really blow me off course even with the levothyroxine. This drug will obviously affect us all in different ways, but If you are new to it, my experience is that it takes time to find your body's equilibrium (12months for me). Don't rely on the drug to do the hard work either, diet and exercise are so important too. Do research on diet, do exercise and pay attention to foods make you feel weird"

CharlieWils March 2, 2016

"I have had abdominal cramps, and many of the side effects that are listed on the previous screen concerning this medication. And my Doctor prescribed this?? I'm going to ask my doctor if I can stop this medication, maybe after some blood work. I was amazed at the number of side effects I'm having because of this drug. No wonder!!"

mhami (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 27, 2016

"I felt obliged to review Levothyroxine (Eutroxsig), as majority of the medicine reviews you see on the web are negative. I get that certain drugs affect people differently and we want to talk about our experiences - the good and the bad. For me, it has been great. It took a few months before I could notice any difference. I used to feel tired every day with an awful "hangover" feeling - and I really haven't had a day like that since. I take 50 micrograms each morning before I go for a 30 minute walk. I wait another 30 minutes before eating breakfast, and I don't take any vitamins until I've eaten lunch. I do find that it makes me constipated, however taking Metamucil once per day really helps with that."

MishMash11 February 23, 2016

Eutroxsig (levothyroxine): "I felt obliged to review Eutroxsig, as majority of the medicine reviews you see on the web are negative. I get that certain drugs affect people differently and we want to talk about our experiences - the good and the bad. Eutroxsig for me, has been great. It took a few months before I could notice any difference. I used to feel tired every day with an awful "hangover" feeling - and I really haven't had a day like that since. I take 50 micrograms each morning before I go for a 30 minute walk. I wait another 30 minutes before eating breakfast, and I don't take any vitamins until I've eaten lunch. I found that it makes me constipated, however taking Metamucil once per day really helps with that. It's so good to feel normal again."

MishMash11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2016

"I started Levothyroxine 25mg 3 weeks ago. I thought I was going through the menopause so my doc screened me for loads of things. Discovered I had underactive thyroid. First few days noticed difference. I have had acheing joints my fingers feel bigger than they are so dexterity altered. Dry mouth, eyes hurting at back of eyeballs headache and finally anxiety to the point of feeling like I was going to loose it. However I had had those feelings before thinking it was the menopause. Week 3 and I feel moderately better though still get tired easily. It's good to read others have had the same"

Lotsoftime February 21, 2016

"I had to take Levothyroxine because of a medication I was taking that affected my thyroid negatively. In my opinion, this is a great medicine. It balanced out my thyroid & I didn't experience any side effects from it. I highly recommend it."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 3, 2016

"I'd rather take the synthroid cause this is not doing its job for my body"

gosein1984 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 1, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Before synthroid I was achy and tired. Now I have headaches...bloating...stomach pain...loose stools and the feeling of being in a fog. I'm only on day 4 of the lowest dose cut in half. I'm stopping it. I was put on it before and it made my heart go to sinus tach but the new doctor insisted I try it again! Hell no! I felt better before the medication!"

Nanny 88done January 23, 2016

"Today is my third day on this medication and so far I haven't had any adverse reactions. I have had a goitre for over twelve years. For years my doctors have been telling me my blood tests are normal. Last year I pushed and had a thyroid scan. They found three nodules with one having its own blood supply. For years I've been silently suffering dealing with low sex drive, weight gain, chronic constipation(enema, laxatives..), brain fog, tiredness, body aches, depression (meds), hair shedding and now I'm noticing my extremities are always cold. And so once again I told my doctor something is wrong. She started me on 25mg levothyroxine I nervous because I don't want more hair loss. Today I wearing a wig ashamed of my hair."

Mrsfullof (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2016

"I rely so much on reviews when I start a new medication. I thought I need to give back. I have severe anxiety about taken new medications so when my endo prescribed Levothyroxine at .025, I looked on here. To tell the truth, most reviews scared me. It's been three days since I took my first dose. No real side effects except I feel like a tad constipated which is new for me because I have IBS. Other than that I can't say it is helping or not. I rated it higher because no side effects yet which I was scared to death of"

Happymenom (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

"For most of my life, I have been on this medication, I don't remember much of my symptoms from before but basically I will usually feel quite tired and cold, which is the main thing that will probably stick with you if you have hypothyroidism. As for treating my "symptoms," I would say it does an alright job. The main issue I see a lot of people talking about is weight loss, I am here to confirm that you will probably weigh less and lose a bit of pounds if you are taking the right dosage, since I have taken the medication for quite a long time, I can confirm that I am on the lighter side of the scale, however I am not speaking for all the users of levothyroxin. Speak with your doctor about whether or not, this is the right medication."

Katya Üjelu January 14, 2016

"Recently, I've been having a lot of headaches, extremely tired and very bad mood swings. Night sweats come and go. Poor sex drive. I'm usually hot or warm. I was also experiencing pain in my feet and I get cramps in my lower calves from time to time. I've been taking levothroxine for about 10 years now. At first, there was a moderate weight loss. Then, just recently over the past six months or so, I gained over thirty pounds. There has been no change in my diet. My doctor checked my TSH levels, not surprised, they were extremely off. He has uped my dosage from 150MCG (I remained on this dosage for 9 years) to 175MCG. This is day one with the new dosage; and I'm hoping all goes well."

Nuthole January 5, 2016

"I have had hyperprolactinemia for many years now (pituitary issue) and earlier this year was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Before being diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I began having difficulty maintaining my prolactin levels, suffered EXTREME fatigue 24-7, had viscious mood swings, and put on some weight. After finally being referred to an Endocrinologist and being put on this medication, a couple months passed and I was finally beginning to feel like my old self again. I no longer have to nap to get through my day, my mood swings are few and far between, and I lost the weight I had previously put on. Only side effects I can list are heat intolerance, flushing, and not that often, heart palpitations."

No Longer Fatigued (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2015