User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Levothyroxine Review Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 42 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Underactive Thyroid

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I been taking .025 MG everyday for two months.... I was not sure why I was taking it... I know I had a super low sex drive n now have a high sex drive whereas I have to relieve my self two to three times a day... I get very horny for no reason n notice my sperm is more thicker n I'm producing a lot more now...."

lilcal (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

"was on levothyroxine for 7 months. was on the lowest dosage at first, did nothing for my thyroid and also made my hormones crazy, I would get mad for no reason. After my first blood test my doctor bumped the dosage up to double what I was on and still no change, but my doctor kept me on it for another 2 months and after there was no change she took me off of it. I have now been on armour thyroid for 1 1/2 and it has helped me feel so much better and my levels are perfect."

mrsD92 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 4, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I had a blood test 3 weeks ago and I knew something was wrong. The doctor prescribed this to me. I don't know my numbers. I'm taking 25 mcg. I was tired before but now I feel like I'm dead. Too bad you can't take this medicine at night. I never had a puffy face, but the cold bothered me a little . Very dry skin that developed over the winter. I used to have Addison's Disease, which was easier to check with a simple prick of the finger."

Just started Synthroid 2 days ago (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"I have been dignosed with Hypothyroidism since 2010, my weight has never changed. I've been taking this medicine and no difference in 5 years. I spoke with my doctor and she tells me to continue to take it and referred me to a lady to do the HCG which cost too much money for me to do. Instead of her looking more into my condition and trying another medication. I have scheduled an appointment with another doctor to get help."

kiwi78 April 30, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Synthroid gave me horrible migraines, two to three a week. Nothing seemed to alleviate them except getting off of the medication"

Missyrue (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2015

"Diagnosed nearly six yrs ago. Took 50 mg right of, told my dr I feel any different and haven't lost any weight as expected. He said well take 100 then!! Still no difference, joint pain, wt gain, thinning hair. Numbers are within normal limits. What to do?"

Bonnie t (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2015

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "I have been on one form of hypothyroid meds for the last 20 years. I have used Tirosint for a year and half. The only thing that I can say for it is the doctor loves it. I hate it. I was hoping it would help with my fatigue, swelling, and forgetfulness. The only thing that has changed for me is my cheeks are redder, I feel bloated all the time, and I am losing my hair. I'm still tired, and still think I'm losing my mind. Logical worked better than all of them including the Armui"

Sherman TX April 6, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "While it brought the TSH into the appropriate range, the exhaustion, lethargy, constipation, etc. was unbearable. For 20 hours out of the day, felt drowsy, unmotivated and sleepy. This is no way to live. Got on Tirosint and what a difference."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2015

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "My disabled brother was previously prescribed generic levothyroxine and brand name, Synthroid. On both, he was basically in a continual state of lethargy to the point where he would fall asleep on the commode or at the dining table. Never heard of Tirosint until requesting help. This medicine has been incredible. No more lethargy and continuous sleeping during the day. Family members have commented that he is more alert, engaged and seems to be happy. They would be correct!"

Very Grateful March 30, 2015

"I was on the same dosage of levothyroxine since 2005 and because I had to get new Dr she took me off of it and since then I have gained 40 to 60 pounds!"

Itsmeagain Margaret (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I began taking my Synthroid three weeks ago and I feel great. First I began breaking my 25 mcg pills into quarters and started out taking only a 1/4 pill. I do this in the morning with a glass of water. I am now taking one 25 mcg pill. My sleeping has improved, I have more energy, my skin looks better and my face does not look tired,. I refused to take this drug initially when I was first diagnosed in 2011 because of a bad scare taking the generic brand, so I let my new meds sit for six months before trying this brand. It works wonders for me and being a life-long gym and karate guy, I have more energy to do laps in the pool and do weights too. I have taken iodine and it works ok, but nothing like my Synthroid. Time will tell."

sd21 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2015

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "i've tried EVERYTHING. armour did not work for me at all. neither did levoxyl. i know people who swear by armour. i've tried generics. the generic made by abbott lab worked really well (tbey also make synthroid). while i felt better on synthroid or abbott's generic, i did not feel NORMAL. much to my surprise, i feel normal on tirosint. i have energy i haven't had for more than 15 years.... i don't know whether my thyroid will stabilize with this -- but i feel the urge to exercise which i've never had on anything else. my brain is clear and my vision is improving. blood levels were always 'normal' on everything else. but that doesn't mean it was getting cell use.... too expensive, but i can't afford to keep feeling crappy or less than.."

crissy mouse (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2015

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "The only problem with Tirosint capsules is the out of pocket price... We are low fixed income due to my hubby being an Elderly Disabled Vet and I must be home taking care of him so nearly $44/mo comes out of the grocery $; Yet I prefer Tirosint capsules over any other thyroid meds I have had because I have not had any negative reaction to it like I have all the others I have tried; Levothyroxine tablets I get big migraines. With Armour allergic reaction that makes me into a zombie. "

Smiling Heidi February 20, 2015

"I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism. My TSH level was close to 7. I felt dizzy and had a low appetite for the first few days on levithyroxine. I started to feel better after that but on the third week I felt depressed, I couldn't process what I was reading, I felt paranoid, and had no energy. It was scary! I requested another blood test and the results showed that my TSH levels dropped to .5. My dosage will go from 25mcg to 12.5mcg starting tomorrow. I will come back in a few weeks."

21YearOldFemale (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "It allowed me to at least sleep better & I don't bruise as easy anymore...but it didn't relieve my swollen ankles, increase my energy, or start my hair to regrow."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "It's official! My levels are normal and my hair is no longer falling out. Joint pain is also gone."

Dubble T (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 26, 2015

"I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism a week and a half ago. I'm 21 and slightly over weight. My thyroid levels were tested because I sweat excessively. I only felt dizzy on the first two days of taking this medicine. I always feel tired right after I take it, but that goes away after I work out or concentrate on something. After about 3-4 days of taking it, I noticed that I was sweating less! I think I'm slimming down (but that could be because I have had more energy to exercise). I take .025 mg. I'll update in a few weeks!"

Mc595 January 20, 2015

"Honestly, I found out that I've was diagnosed after I did a physical at my primary care doctors visit, that my thyroid was under active which was strange because I was wondering why I couldn't lose weight like I wanted but my levels of my thyroid I believe wasn't extremely low. I've been on levothyroxine-0.025mg for about a month and it has been the worst feeling in my whole life. When I started to take the medicine, I notice I was extremely tired the first week of taking it. The symptoms got worse which was I was trembling at night, heart was pounding out of control, sweating really bad, barely eating, diarrhea all the time, lost 5 pounds in like 2 weeks. I went to the emergency room several times and they couldn't see nothing wrong. So frustrating."

Sabrina Cain January 6, 2015

"The first two days of taking the medicine, I experienced body aches all over, headaches, thus, I took aspirin in the evening to try to alleviate the pain. The third day and beyond, I felt/feel more energized, no headaches, no backaches, mental clarity, and just relieved. I say you have to give the medicine time to kick in and get in your system. I am thankful."

T Echo December 30, 2014

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I love that Synthroid has almost lowered my TSH and I'm feeling better. Though I am always hungry and eating a lot."

Dubble t December 28, 2014

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "Excellent medication! So much better than Synthroid or Levothyroxine. Only problem is the expense! "

Laura Casey (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 20, 2014

"I take 75mg levothyroxine. I've learned if I get symptoms its when the dose is too low. I have autoimmune disease and thyroiditis was a side effect. After 21 years undiagnosed I didn't think they'd found the answer. But I'm less swollen everyday, my memory is better, I no longer get cold and my heart. I'd had clammy feet and never realized it was my heart, I was lucky. In 6 months I've gone from 26 stone down to 21 stone and its still going down. Changed my life."

Sarahappy1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2014

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Had partial thyroid removal with benign tumor 30+ years ago, was OK until about 2 years ago and routine bloodwork showed low thyroid. After 2 years being OK on the medication suddenly the thyroid levels are dropping again, hair falling out, skin is breaking out in itchy red welts, gaining weight, so Dr upped the dosage. A couple weeks on higher dose I feel like I am "wired" in high gear, can't sit still, talking to myself going in circles, and my hot flashes have really really ramped up big time. Dr. says to give it at least 60 preferably 90 days to adjust, not sure I can hold out that long before stopping it. Hoping there is a better solution out there someplace."

Mizz Annie October 27, 2014

Eltroxin (levothyroxine): "been taking Eltroxin for years for underactive thyroid, stopped and never felt better."

magie G August 18, 2014

"This is a follow up review. I originally gave this 7 stars after a couple hopeful weeks. I also quit smoking and started exercising, among other things, which was the main reason for feeling better. This medicine does improve your TSH and T4 tests which are good tests to make your doctor happy, but will NOT improve your symptoms. You need to improve your T3 levels to improve symptoms. I monitored T3 (total and free) for 7 months on this medicine, and my T3 did not BUDGE. Apparently this is a case with a lot of people, so check those numbers! You will get no symptom relief if this medicine is not converting from T4 to T3. "

Ralphh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2014