User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I was diagnosed with perimenopause in 2010 which included anxiety depression and mood swings at the age of 40. I had blood clots flowing down my legs for ten days then in 13 days I would bleed again . I would be double over in pain. I became anemic and still am . My Dr has me on anti depressants for anxiety which is working. After 4 years I was sent to Gyno. She did ultrasound and discovered I had adenomyosus and endometriosis. She did a D&C it was too complicated to do ablation or hysterectomy. The Gyno recommended mirena. She put in 3 weeks ago . Dr cut string so can't feel it. Some light spotting and cramping and no period for 31 days now. Gyno will check in five weeks it takes 7 months to get full effect. give it a chance ! Love it so far."

Trixielynn May 22, 2015

"Just got my IUD placed today! I was honestly so terrified to go I had put it off for a year now. It was the quickest, least painful procedure I've had. My Dr paced a local anesthetic and I didn't feel a thing."

Amg2209 May 19, 2015

"The insertion of the iud was painful. Afterward I experienced cramping & spotting for 2 days. About a week later I experienced acne. Luckily I have teens and I use their acne gel. A few weeks later my right foot and ankle was swollen. I used ice, elevate my foot and when that didn't work I went to the Doctor. The X-ray didn't show anything wrong. My ankle hurt in I small area and it was difficult to walk without limping. I began reading reviews about iud side effects and sure enough a swollen ankle is a side effect. I had to purchase an ankle wrap to ease the pain. I had the iud inserted 3/15 for irregular bleeding due to peri menopause. I'm going to Try to keep it as long as I can hoping the swelling will completely go away soon"

Joy916 May 19, 2015

"It's been 3 months. Basically non stop spotting or bleeding. Mirena and sex life do not get along. Miserable. Considering removal."

Terri226 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2015

"Had Mirena inserted 4 weeks ago. Don't need it for BC, but I am extremely iron-deficient, so it was to stop my periods. Nevermind the actual procedure, I didn't take any pain killers before or after. But I have been bleeding and badly cramping ever since the procedure. Sometimes cramps would stop, then come back suddenly so bad I groan out loud. Any physical activity makes it much worse. My tum & breasts are swollen & tender. Some acne. Mood swings - more like mood plungers: I tend to snap at everyone around for no reason. Definitely a weight gain - 2kg in 4 weeks. Everyone says I look very pale. Total life disruption. I wish I read other reviews before doing it. My GP told me it would settle after 3-4 days. It comes out next week."

ozi888 May 16, 2015

"This was my second Mirena. My first was great. I had no periods, not complaints. Insertion and removal were super easy. However, after removal I did bleed for a couple weeks. The second one has been awful. I just had it removed after 3 years. My hair was falling out. I gained weight. I had very low sex drive. I bleed all the time. I got it removed 5 weeks ago and I'm still bleeding. I'm even on nuvaring, and still bleeding. It's awful. There is no end in sight."

Prefer not say (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 14, 2015

"I had the mirena inserted after having my daughter in 07 wasn't painful AT ALL, no side effects barely had a period. After 5 years had it reinserted in 2012. To remove and reinsert the new one was the most painful experience ever. Since than my period lasts 3 weeks straight very heavy & right when I think I'm done with my period (lasts maybe 4 days) it will start AGAIN & I'll continue to bleed the remainder of the month till my next period. I'm very agitated easily, I'm very tired never had I tooken a nap & now that's all I do. I'm always bloated I've gained weight, I always have lower stomach pains I don't know if it's because I didn't give my body a break before inserting another one but I'm taking this one out & never doing it again"

Damarie May 13, 2015

"I had my mirena inserted 7 weeks ago. My doc first tried inserting it in her office. After several painful tries including using dilitation tools, she gave up. I have 3 children and one was a home birth with no meds. I would rather give birth then do that again!!! It was nasty. I cramped and bled for many days after. I had it inserted several months later via surgery. I had less cramping and needed no pain meds after. A week later I started having painful cramping and 3 weeks of bleeding. The pain was so bad if I was in bed no one could touch it as it would start another cramp. Last week, I got up at 3 am to go to the bathroom. On the way back I was hit with the worst pain ever. I went to the er, and it left after 20 min."

Sue80 May 12, 2015

"I inserted it due to excessive bleeding. It was torture putting it in and I spent the remainder of the day in bed. Periods stopped after 3 months. I was a reasonably fit boot camper. I went from being able to run 2km without a rest to not able to run 100m without ventolin virtually immediately after the insertion. It took me over a year to question the Mirena. I talked to my GP and we tested if I had developed asthma coincidentally. I am not an asthmatic. I asked my GP to remove it. She couldn't locate the strings. I had to visit a gyno (took 12mths to get the courage) who fished around with her tool to locate the string and remove it. I put on weight, even while exercising. I developed fat around my waist. I regret getting it."

None765 April 23, 2015

"Hello. I just had the Merina inserted 2 days ago. I am 50 and have horrible periods. Have started menopause, but periods are still really bad, so my doctor recommended the Merina. The insertion wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I had moderate cramps for a couple of hours, took advil an hour before my appointment and about 2 hours after and that's it. I have had a tiny bit of spotting, but no cramps. Hopefully, that's it for side effects. Thanks to all others who posted for very helpful information."

dpdragonfly (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2015

"I'm a healthy and active 24 year old. I had mirena placed when my second child was 10 weeks old. I bleed quite a bit the first 2 months but then all of a sudden it stopped. I have not had a period or spotting in the last 4 months. I have the occasional cramp but that's it."

Efleming (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2015

"I switched from a Paragard to Mirena and guess what love it more everyday. No cycle, no acne no worries about protection. Yes a little discomfort when inserted but nothing a Tylenol would've cure. Love it"

Tawana908 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2015

"I have had since September 2014. I am 40 and have had problems with heavy bleeding, frequent periods, painful cramps, and depression during PMS since age 35. This has been great for relief of all my symptoms. Until my doctor mentioned this, I was looking at having a D & C done. I have had no weight gain, actually lost 5 pounds. Some spotting in beginning but very light periods now. No more depression the week before my period. It was a very positive experience for me."

Venus1974 April 14, 2015

"I've had Mirena in for 4 1/2 months now and I'm still bleeding. I'm going through about 2-3 tampons every 24 hours. I've gone through about 6-7 snaps where it'll stop for a day or two and then it starts right back up. I'm out of town for a few months, but as soon as I get back I'm having it taken out. I haven't gotten pregnant during those snaps, so I guess it's effective if you're willing to spend your life bleeding."

CTM April 14, 2015

"This was placed in April of 2014. I have had it removed a week ago due to very severe back pain. I also had anxiety, depression and severe headaches. I would rather have the bleeding. My headaches and back pain stopped once it was removed and suspect that the depression and anxiety will also improve now. My MD and OBGYN did not recommend removing it, but I insisted and am glad I did. They were convinced the back pain & headaches was due to something else."

GGMarie April 13, 2015

"OK if you are considering getting an IUD inserted & are scared,don't be! All of these women are putting out horror stories! I am 23,never had kids, and I've only received a pap once! Insertion is not as painful as everyone says! Yes it hurt, but was it was completely bearable. It was a sharp pain & some pressure for about 2 mins. I got it on on Monday & it's Wednesday & all I can say is I've stopped my terrible bleeding ! I did bleed the first day & have cramps & I'm currently still a bit crampy but I also have stomach issues so I'm more sensitive than most! It's not that bad! Of course getting something inserted in your uterus isn't a day at the park, but its not like you're going to die of pain! Its a few days of not being comfortable for 5 years of worry free BC!"

Renee o April 8, 2015

"I've had the Mirena for 7 years now, the first one was for 5 years and after my 5 years were over i decided to get it again for another 5 years. I got to say that I love it, I don't have to worry about any monthly period. The first time I got it I would spot but nothing compared to having a period. We have to keep in mind that every body is different therefore each one of us will react different. Some of us may experience zero side effects while other may experience 1, 2, 3 it all depends. I have friends that they got pregnant while they had it but never noticed. Remember that also had to do with the Dr. I am very lucky to have an excellent Dr she is great! Overall I give the Mirena a 99.9% I mean nothing is 100%!!!"

Eliaa April 4, 2015

"The mirena is amazing. I've had it in for almost 6 months now. I had some heavy bleeding in the beginning bc I never had a child before and my body naturally pushed the mirena out. I went back to my doctor and they put a new one in and this time its stayed in. After the second placement I had heavy bleeding for the first month. After that I had no bleeding at all. I haven't had my period in 3 and a half months. I do get light period every now and again but its never heavy enough to have to use a pad or tampon. All you need is a panty liner and you'll be good to go. If you have the mirena put in and start bleeding soon after make sure you don't use tampons bc this can likely pull the mirena out and that would hurt. Its amazing!"

angelbaby674 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2015

"I got Mirena inserted about a month ago. I have been bleeding since the insertion and it's really annoying. I've read some good and bad reviews. Mostly women complain about the bleeding and weight issues. Hopefully it works out for the best or else I'm taking this thing back out!"

Ana_Ms March 30, 2015

"So I had my mirena IUD put in about 3 months ago. I had a pretty uncomfortable experience with insertion but it was manageable I guess. So everyday for the last 3 months, since the day I had it put in, I've gad spotting/bleeding. It looks like for the past week or so it may be starting to wear off FINALLY! So supposedly this mirena is supposed to help with acne. Let me just say from my experience so far, it had not helped my acne in any way. In fact, it has made me breakout like CRAZY!!!!! I will say that so far, I have not had any large amounts of bleeding at all. So that's a plus. Another thing I find absolutely horrifying about this IUD is my mood swings! MY LORD! I can't believe the miserable mood swings I get!"

Katcierra March 25, 2015

"I've had this for over 9 weeks.. no side effects.. didnt make me moody or anything. Except I've been bleeding non stop.. switches from light spotting to almost like post partum bleeding! I'm giving it another month or so and if this bleeding doesnt stop then im getting this out! The reason this birth control works is because it refrains you from having sex because youre constantly bleeding."

bestmommmmmy12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2015

"I've had the mirena put in 2 months ago.Painful the first day but as time went by it became less painful. I've noticed a difference in my periods much lighter and seems not to last that long.The best part about it is my acne problems are over.I dont know what its but its cleared my acne that ive had trouble getting rid of since high school and im now 31!!"

Go Mirena March 23, 2015

"I had the Mirena inserted 3 weeks ago to treat horrible periods which caused anemia. Insertion was no big deal (I've had 5 c-sections). I spotted a few days after insertion then pretty heavy bleeding for about a week. I've had zero bleeding now for about 5 days and had the best orgasm in my life yesterday. Oh, and I am 52 and still able to get pregnant (no menopause yet). So glad I didn't let the scary stories stop me from getting it. I feel like I got my life back. I hope it stays like this."

Drmomof5 (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2015

"I had Mirena put in the last week of January, 2015. For a couple of years I have been having very heavy periods so decided to do Mirena to tone them down. Well, since I had it put in, I have been bleeding every day. Not spotting, but bleeding. It has now been almost two months and its getting a little sickening. I also feel tired all the time and am going to start taking iron supplements and hope that that helps with the tiredness. I don't have any cramping and occasionally have headaches, but they are not that bad. I'm just hoping this bleeding stops soon."

4 mini mes March 16, 2015

"I'm 28 years old. No children. I switched from the nuva ring to the mirena. I've had the mirena for 10 months. Insertion was not painful for me, just try and relax (I rested my arms above my head and it helped my cervix open more). I had one day of painful cramping the first month. For 8 months I had normal/lighter periods once per month. The past 2 months I have been spotting and bleeding almost everyday with abdominal cramping. It's like having a period every week for 8 weeks. I've had the mirena placement double checked and had a abdominal check up; nothing abnormal found. Still bleeding/spotting now, but it's manageable. Hoping this will pass."

Penelope28 March 13, 2015