User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Review Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"I've had the mirena for about 2 years. Everything's been fine up until last week. It was a little early for my period, but eh, I've never been regular. We were running across the street and I felt something stab me on the inside. I'm pretty sure the mirena has moved (again). Since then, I've bled heavily for a day, then not at all, then I bled for a day, then not at all. It doesn't hurt. There's not even a cramp. It's just blood. I'm going to the doctor to check it out and make sure everything is okay. Just thought maybe someone else went through this."

J Fran (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 4, 2015

"I had my IUD placed about 3 months after having my first kid. I thought it was a good idea since I read that it will stop periods. Since I am nursing I hadn't gotten a period until 1 week after I got mirena. My period had lasted over a week now. That part I do not like. I was probably better off without it. Hopefully this goes away soon."

First time user July 3, 2015

"I have had Mirena for about 9 months now. Before I was on the pill with a period for four days. I switched to Mirena because it was just easier than remembering to take a pill. Shortly after the insertion I had severe pain and bleeding. A month later I started spotting then bleeding for over a week. This would occur every couple of weeks. It was irritating but I thought it would have gotten better. Now 9 months later I experience periods for 2-3 weeks straight with constant bleeding. I am fine for a week, and the entire process begins. I am switching back to the pill."

Nikkk16 June 28, 2015

"It's been almost 5 months on the mirena and I'm still having break through bleeding. I constantly have to be wearing a pad , day & night. All my under wear are ruined."

Candida (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2015

"I had the mirena inserted last Thursday 6/11/15. I took ibuprofen 1hr before. The cramp on insertion was not as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe the ibuprofen worked. The cramping has stopped but I still continue to spot. Other than spotting so far so good. Before mirena I was on the depo. I gained 20 lbs and what was suppose to help my bleeding only cause me more trouble. Depo caused me to have no period for 6 wks then I would spot the next 6 weeks until next injection. I really hope the mirena works out. Also with depo I had large clots. No clots so far since the mirena"

Anonymous D June 14, 2015

"I had mirena inserted on May 27th.... Terrible pain but only for a minute. My doc was quick and talked me through the procedure. Since the 27th, I have bled constantly. It is terrible ... I have an extremely heightened sex drive but the bleeding is getting in the way. My husband wants it out he said I was better off without it. I have been very moody and tired. Also notice a weird odor but no infection is present. Ugh."

Steffy420 June 10, 2015

"I'm 38 and have been a heavy bleeder for most of my life. Soaking pads and tampons many times day and night. I tried birth control pills to control my bleeding but they made me depressed and had to stop them. I tried the Mirena and was shocked at how fast my periods stopped. Just unbelievable that in two months I went from soaking pads and tampons chronically to wearing a small liner daily. It was a small pinch getting it in and well worth it. I really thought there was hope for my bleeding and it has been gone for 5 months now. The first 2 months I had little periods. Then they stopped all together. This Mirena really works. Hang with it for a few months and your period will be gone."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2015

"I have had the Mirena for 13 months now. I had light bleeding in between periods the first two months and then just a light brown discharge between what should have been periods ever since. I had cramps the first 8 months, but they were sporadic and disappeared within 30 seconds each time I felt one. I would get occasional cramps when I should have had a period. No skin breaking out, no mood swings at all. I want to KISS the person who invented this. And it didn't hurt when I had it inserted. Felt like a huge menstrual cramp for about 30 seconds and that was it and I have never had a baby. So far, so good!"

Shawnybear June 9, 2015

"I got the Mirena on April 23rd to help with my endo and heavy bleeding. I got it removed yesterday, June 8th. I had about 3 or 4 good days and the rest I was enduring the same kinds of cramps that I did with my periods each month. It drained me. I wanted it to work for me so badly and felt guilty when I asked to have it removed yesterday thinking I hadn't given it long enough to settle. An hour after it was gone, I no longer felt guilty. The pain was gone. The doctor told me it could take up to 6mths to settle but I just didn't have it in me to wait it out that long. I had a horrible experience with it. Zero energy, terrible mood swings and many times I was doubled over in pain similar to labor pains which took my breath away."

kjbkjg June 9, 2015

"I am 51 and still have excessive bleeding during my period. I had Mirena inserted on the second day of my period. Had period for three more days then I stopped for six days. Then I started my petiod back up bleeding continually and I'm on my 28th day now. Insertion was a breeze I had given birth to two children vaginaly. Only took Tylenol and had no cramping. My Gyno wants me to give it at least four months before I make a decision. Just hoping that menopause will come soon and this will be a mute point. My face has not broken out I have not had Moodswings and have not noticed any weight gain. After reading most of these reviews it is fair to say we are all reacting differently. My bleeding is still not as heavy as it was before."

Cbbrig420 June 8, 2015

"I have only had the Mirena IUD for a week but I wanted to share my experience. My OBGYN recommended it for heavy menstrual bleeding. I had a tubal 6 years ago, after my 5th child, so I don't need birth control but this was her alternative to having the ablation surgery. Insertion was done in the office, on the first day of my period. I took ibuprofen before I went in for the appointment. The insertion itself felt no different to me than a Pap smear. No cramping at all during or after. I was only spotting to begin with since I had JUST started my period. The next two days were very light period days for me, where they normally would have been super heavy. I'm still spotting a week out, which is normal for me. So far, no complaints!"

LilHotMess (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2015

"i had this put in around 6 months ago because I'm anemic and was bleeding excessively during my period (4days max). Pretty much blessings constantly for that 6 months. Seems a little stupid to have something in that makes the situation worse. Also, I'm a very active person and it stunted my weight loss completely. I was always bloated and couldn't understand why! Got it removed. Immediately lost 5 lbs of water weight. NEVER AGAIN!!"

Spankyspanks May 31, 2015

"I was concerned Mirena would be difficult after reading about it. No problems having it put in however, a few days after did notice a little cramping. I don't notice weight gain and I think it has helped with tending to have a lower abdominal fat."

NH native (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 30, 2015

"I've had Mirena for about 3 months now. I'm 29, no kids, active lifestyle. So far its been a mess down south. I will bleed for a few hours every week or so, then constant spotting since day one (brown dry blood consistency). My acne had gotten out of hand, so I went to my GP to get prescription acne lotion and hopefully that will help. Breast tenderness and constant feeling of being bloated. Just waiting for this to pass and my body to adjust…but not sure if it will. I cannot do oral contraceptive as it makes me extremely moody and cause weight gain."

JJMirena May 26, 2015

"I was diagnosed with perimenopause in 2010 which included anxiety depression and mood swings at the age of 40. I had blood clots flowing down my legs for ten days then in 13 days I would bleed again . I would be double over in pain. I became anemic and still am . My Dr has me on anti depressants for anxiety which is working. After 4 years I was sent to Gyno. She did ultrasound and discovered I had adenomyosus and endometriosis. She did a D&C it was too complicated to do ablation or hysterectomy. The Gyno recommended mirena. She put in 3 weeks ago . Dr cut string so can't feel it. Some light spotting and cramping and no period for 31 days now. Gyno will check in five weeks it takes 7 months to get full effect. give it a chance ! Love it so far."

Trixielynn May 22, 2015

"Just got my IUD placed today! I was honestly so terrified to go I had put it off for a year now. It was the quickest, least painful procedure I've had. My Dr paced a local anesthetic and I didn't feel a thing."

Amg2209 May 19, 2015

"The insertion of the iud was painful. Afterward I experienced cramping & spotting for 2 days. About a week later I experienced acne. Luckily I have teens and I use their acne gel. A few weeks later my right foot and ankle was swollen. I used ice, elevate my foot and when that didn't work I went to the Doctor. The X-ray didn't show anything wrong. My ankle hurt in I small area and it was difficult to walk without limping. I began reading reviews about iud side effects and sure enough a swollen ankle is a side effect. I had to purchase an ankle wrap to ease the pain. I had the iud inserted 3/15 for irregular bleeding due to peri menopause. I'm going to Try to keep it as long as I can hoping the swelling will completely go away soon"

Joy916 May 19, 2015

"It's been 3 months. Basically non stop spotting or bleeding. Mirena and sex life do not get along. Miserable. Considering removal."

Terri226 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2015

"Had Mirena inserted 4 weeks ago. Don't need it for BC, but I am extremely iron-deficient, so it was to stop my periods. Nevermind the actual procedure, I didn't take any pain killers before or after. But I have been bleeding and badly cramping ever since the procedure. Sometimes cramps would stop, then come back suddenly so bad I groan out loud. Any physical activity makes it much worse. My tum & breasts are swollen & tender. Some acne. Mood swings - more like mood plungers: I tend to snap at everyone around for no reason. Definitely a weight gain - 2kg in 4 weeks. Everyone says I look very pale. Total life disruption. I wish I read other reviews before doing it. My GP told me it would settle after 3-4 days. It comes out next week."

ozi888 May 16, 2015

"This was my second Mirena. My first was great. I had no periods, not complaints. Insertion and removal were super easy. However, after removal I did bleed for a couple weeks. The second one has been awful. I just had it removed after 3 years. My hair was falling out. I gained weight. I had very low sex drive. I bleed all the time. I got it removed 5 weeks ago and I'm still bleeding. I'm even on nuvaring, and still bleeding. It's awful. There is no end in sight."

Prefer not say (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 14, 2015

"I had the mirena inserted after having my daughter in 07 wasn't painful AT ALL, no side effects barely had a period. After 5 years had it reinserted in 2012. To remove and reinsert the new one was the most painful experience ever. Since than my period lasts 3 weeks straight very heavy & right when I think I'm done with my period (lasts maybe 4 days) it will start AGAIN & I'll continue to bleed the remainder of the month till my next period. I'm very agitated easily, I'm very tired never had I tooken a nap & now that's all I do. I'm always bloated I've gained weight, I always have lower stomach pains I don't know if it's because I didn't give my body a break before inserting another one but I'm taking this one out & never doing it again"

Damarie May 13, 2015

"I had my mirena inserted 7 weeks ago. My doc first tried inserting it in her office. After several painful tries including using dilitation tools, she gave up. I have 3 children and one was a home birth with no meds. I would rather give birth then do that again!!! It was nasty. I cramped and bled for many days after. I had it inserted several months later via surgery. I had less cramping and needed no pain meds after. A week later I started having painful cramping and 3 weeks of bleeding. The pain was so bad if I was in bed no one could touch it as it would start another cramp. Last week, I got up at 3 am to go to the bathroom. On the way back I was hit with the worst pain ever. I went to the er, and it left after 20 min."

Sue80 May 12, 2015

"I inserted it due to excessive bleeding. It was torture putting it in and I spent the remainder of the day in bed. Periods stopped after 3 months. I was a reasonably fit boot camper. I went from being able to run 2km without a rest to not able to run 100m without ventolin virtually immediately after the insertion. It took me over a year to question the Mirena. I talked to my GP and we tested if I had developed asthma coincidentally. I am not an asthmatic. I asked my GP to remove it. She couldn't locate the strings. I had to visit a gyno (took 12mths to get the courage) who fished around with her tool to locate the string and remove it. I put on weight, even while exercising. I developed fat around my waist. I regret getting it."

None765 April 23, 2015

"Hello. I just had the Merina inserted 2 days ago. I am 50 and have horrible periods. Have started menopause, but periods are still really bad, so my doctor recommended the Merina. The insertion wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I had moderate cramps for a couple of hours, took advil an hour before my appointment and about 2 hours after and that's it. I have had a tiny bit of spotting, but no cramps. Hopefully, that's it for side effects. Thanks to all others who posted for very helpful information."

dpdragonfly (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2015

"I'm a healthy and active 24 year old. I had mirena placed when my second child was 10 weeks old. I bleed quite a bit the first 2 months but then all of a sudden it stopped. I have not had a period or spotting in the last 4 months. I have the occasional cramp but that's it."

Efleming (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2015