User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"Honestly, I am still one of the undecided... I have/had dysmenorrhia that lasted a full 7 days each month. My tubes were tied 20 plus years ago. Perhaps it is genetics that I am in the place I am today because my mother went through many of the same symptoms and eventually had a hysterectomy. After discovering a large submucosal fibroid that was removed, I started to experience sharp pain ( which escalated from simple cramps ) when my cycle hit. The Mirena is my last viable option before surgery. It was place a week and a half ago. Within 4 days of its placement and seeing my doctor again because of pelvic pain from the jabs and sticks I felt, I'd lost 2 pounds. More weight is coming off 3 days later but still have pain."

LB1969 (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2016

"I was leary of getting the Mirena based on poor reciews of continued bleeding, but since the doctor told me "only 5% of women have those issues" I went ahead and had it inserted on Monday of last week. I was cycle day 5 and at the tail end of my period-read my lining should be very thin!!! Mon and Tuesday were great! A little cramping and very mild spotting. Wednesday however the flood gates opened. By Friday if I stood up I could see and feel the blood coming out. This is 100% unacceptable to me. I have emailed my gyn and told her I either want a script for estrogen which supposedly helps stop the bleeding or I want it out NOW. I am not going to wait and see if it regulates in 3 months. This is bs, 5%, right"

SusanL1974 April 25, 2016

"I found the mirena great. It wasn't very painful to have put in. It took 6/8 months to settle. For the first month's I had bleeding on and off all month. After 8 months I hadn't any periods. I replaced it with a new coil after 5 years. The only side effects I noticed were ance between 8months and 12 months."

Pinkboh (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 24, 2016

"Hi, I am on this site looking for information for my niece who is has had an IUD for a couple of years. After reading so many women comment that they tried the IUD because of heavy bleeding, I wanted to share my experience. I had very heavy bleeding and painful periods my whole life. In my forties I discovered a supplement called Cool Cayenne. It is a cayenne pepper capsule sold at health food stores. It helped my periods become lighter and cramping ceased. When I felt my period coming on I started to take one or two capsules and this helped greatly. If you are on an IUD strictly for a heavy period ( and do not need one for birth control), then you should research cayenne and heavy periods/cramps. The brand I took is Solaray."

Lynn Carter April 15, 2016

"Had my Mirena removed after only 3 months. Yes, it did significantly reduce monthly bleeding and cramping, but the negative side effects far outweighed the little positive effects. I am fortunate to live a very good life and have never experienced depression; however during the 3 months I had Mirena I felt very sad and depressed for no reason. I also had zero sex drive all the time - not just certain times of the month. Gained 10 pounds in 3 months while exercising vigorously on a regular basis and eating very healthy foods 1500 calories a day. I know my body very well and I know how to lose weight, but nothing worked this time. Also experienced tingling in my hands and feet. Looking forward to getting my life back after Mirena!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

"Hi ladies. Just wanted to share this with you and maybe ask several questions. I have Mirena for one month. My period before Mirena was 02.03.2016. After insertion I was bleeding around 4 days. After that I had spotting and then my period on 28.03.2016 ( 7 days- my regular one,before Mirena was 5 days). So, after my period I continued spotting and today I got my period again (13.04.) I didn't know thats possible.Every side effect affected me and I do not know how long I am going to "survive" with this thing in me. I have PMS, my boobs are painful not to mention cramps and ovarian pain...headaches.I am blown up and yes I do have a gooooood appetite these days. All of that obviously affecting my mood. What do you reckon- in or out? Thanks."

Maria J.A. April 13, 2016

"Minor bleeding for a few weeks after insitu. After that - none at all. Don't even know where I am in my cycle- no pain or bleeding. Only cost $30 for 5 years! Feel sorry for those who don't have one!"

Miranda Ham April 13, 2016

"My periods have been incredibly irregular. I bleed every time I am sexually active."

Gz0930 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

"WELL 50 pounds gained later next week I finally get my mirena iud removed. Had it in almost a year and did enjoy the care freeness of it and lack of period but gained uncontrollable weight and made me feel so insecure this past year. I know everyone reacts differently to iud's and I was warned by my doctor and the nurse putting it in that weight gain is common but silly me thinking it wouldn't effect me. I would never recommend the mirena to a friend unless they were very active gym members or could use a few extra pounds on their body haha"

blueberrypom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2016

"Well after I was told I needed mirena for heavy bleeding and being anemic I was scared to death. The reviews of this medication can scare anyone out of trying it. I had my tubes tied 8 years ago and did not need birth control but was told by my obgyn that it was less invasive than an ablasion which I really did want. I decided to give it a go! My OB said not to be scared. That every woman will have different reactions to this! I needed to have day surgery to have this inserted as my cervix was closed up too much to have it put in the office. Well it's been 6 weeks and it's been great. I spotted for 10 days after the procedure and nothing since. I was scared of weight gain, hair loss, and acne but nothing has changed!! Please give it a try!"

Best decision ever! April 7, 2016

"Got it prescribed to try and stop particularly heavy and long lasting periods. I also suffer from breast pain. The Mirena has stopped my period, which is a good thing, however I still get the severe breast pains and moodiness associated with pre-menstrual time, and have completely lost any sex drive. Also feeling ravenous and putting on weight (two dress sizes in a year)."

LNGWR April 7, 2016

"I've had the Mirena for 6 months and I have had bad cramps everyday since it was inserted. I have also either bled and had discharge every day to the point I am anemic. I have had trouble getting the doctor's to take it out, so if you are having similar issues, be an aggressive advocate for yourself. My experience is probably not representative. I have had strong side effects from oral birth control pills, including cramps and bleeding frequently. I also have emotional side effects and fatigue."

MerryB426 April 4, 2016

"I wish I had read some reviews about this product rather than just following my MD's recommendation to have a Mirena placed to control my extremely heavy and long periods(12-20 days). Since I was spending more time bleeding than not, I was confident that anything would be better than that. I was wrong and am seriously considering having it removed even if it means going back to such awful periods. While my periods are now light and manageable, they are still consistently 14 days long. The worst parts are the weight gain and mood swings. Despite training for a marathon including often burning 1400 calories in a single run, I continue to gain weight. The bloating is unsightly and frustrating while the mood swings have a huge impact on family."

Regretful (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 2, 2016

"I wanted to love Mirena, but that was not the case and don't understand why doctors aren't honest about the side effects. I went on Mirena and was very happy since I never got a period, however Im very careful about my figure and knew that there were "rumors" (since my doctor said this was not true) relating Mirena to weight gain. From the moment I had it inserted I watched what I ate and stuck to a 1300 calorie diet, working out 5 days a week... I still gained 10 pounds in the course of 3 months! I can't imagine what I would of gained had I not been watching what I ate and working out. I just had mine removed, hoping to go back to normal and cursing the day I decided to put that thing in my body!"

Em22 March 24, 2016

"I suffered such heavy periods, used to soak through overnight/maternity pads within minutes on a bad day, so you can imagine how life limiting it was. I was 48yo, had 3 kids. My gyno suggested a marina, thinking it would last 5 years so lasting me through until menopause. I was put under whilst it was inserted. My periods have since been irregular, spotty, unannounced but a lot lighter. To the point I'd wear either a panty liner or small pad. But it did change my life in that I could finally do things! Bad points: my hair has thinned, I now suffer from depression and anxiety, am constantly bloated, can't lose weight. But I thought it to be worth it as I could do things if I could find the energy that is. Today it changed."

wanthealth (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2016

"I have the iud for about 4 or 5 months now and at first everything was good. I had a little spotting the first week then I didn't have a period until about 2 weeks ago in (February 2016). Oddly enough I have not stopped spotting since the actual period ended (after 5 days). It's ruining my sex life so I am not sure I want to keep it in. The spotting stops for a couple days if that and the starts up again it's brownish pink and is never really heavy but enough for me to notice. It sucks cause I paid 425$ out of my own pocket for this. It was a huge expence."

Jojorseno (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

"I am a 45, & never pregnant (my husband of 17 years has a vasectomy, so pregnancy is not the issue). Got my Mirena Nov 6, 2015 to control heavy (gushing) bleeding every time I get my period (which was quite regular & predictable). I have bleed pretty much continuously since Nov - have had maybe 10 days total where I didn't bleed or have brown discharge. Cramps hit randomly and are severe. It's seriously starting to affect my marriage too-mood swings, constant bleeding=no sex, arguments because of no sex, etc. Called my GYN office today and told them I want this OUT - waiting to hear back from their nurse. I'd rather bleed heavy for 2 days and know it's coming than to maybe bleed or spot or cramp at any given time. NEVER AGAIN!"

D.M. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

"I had the Mirena inserted as a 44 yo never pregnant woman mostly to control painful periods ( it didn't) and Within 5 weeks I developed what I would call severe carpel tunnel syndrome ( confirmed by a neurologist at around 12 weeks) , the neurologist also suggested the Mirena was potentially causative but once triggered it might be an ongoing issue. I had it removed. 18 months on I still have carpel tunnel syndrome, I'm really active and activity can be very debillitating, my shoulder is so intensely sore that I cannot sleep for days, drugs don't help as its nerve pain. Wish I'd never gone near this thing."

Swimnomore (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2016

"I have always had heavy and very painful periods. After being diagnosed with endometriosis and a partial hysterectomy due to huge cysts, I was told that using this would help lessen the endometriosis. I have been bleeding since July, 2015. I had the IUD in August 2015, I've bled ever since. Instead of having my period 7 days a month, I'm lucky to not bleed for 2 or 3 days a month. I always have cramps. My bleeding is not heavy, but it's enough to have to wear a pad or a tampon constantly. My sex life is pretty much non-existent. It's very frustrating. I don't know which is worse, having heavy painful periods or having a period that never ends."

Pinky Panther March 8, 2016

"I had my IUD inserted after I gave birth to my daughter in January 2016 and when I had the Mirena inserted I was on my cycle. My cycle ended like normal and then I came on my normal cycle again in February and this time it has not gone away. Everyday I where a pad because it has been light but not light enough to wear a panty liner. I am concerned because I don't think it is normal to have a cycle going on for 18 days and counting. I am not so sure if it is worth me having this type of birth control because the side effects are just not worth it in my opinion. I have had issues in the past with anemia due to my cycles and I do not want to have that issue again."

LaLa Simmons March 8, 2016

"Inserting Mirena felt like getting an abortion, worst 10 min of my life! Got this January 2016 and im still bleeding, not heavy but enough to wear a pad or regular tampon. Sometimes I think the bleeding has stopped and next thing I know I'm bleeding all over again! Not sure if I want to keep this in still."

Danniemom228 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2016

"I am 40 with 4 kids. I had my tubes tied but have experienced week long heavy clotting periods for a year. So my gyn talked me into the Mirena iud. She told me I would have no periods after the 6 months mark. Well I have had it now 9 months and I haven't stopped bleeding. I would have maybe one week of spotting and then back to full blown heavy bleeding. It's awful!!! I have been bleeding heavily for 3 weeks now with clots and changing a super tampon every hour. Getting this iud taken out !!!!!! Hate it! My fiancé and I have gotten use to the mess of trying to have a normal sex life with all this bleeding but it sucks!!!!!"

Frusturated Florence March 5, 2016

"I has the mirena for 3 months now and have not stopped bleeding yet. I have constant cramping and have recently developed bad acne and feel low energy due to the cramping and blood loss. I would not recommend"

Kelly48 March 3, 2016

"I had copper T before having Mirena inserted. With the Copper T I had the worst experience of abnormal bleeding, cramping and lower abdominal pain for 3 months. My gyno advised me to switch to Mirena. After reviewing a lot I decided I should give it a try and it was inserted on 19th Feb 2016, since then a little cramping and bleeding but not heavy. I'm still waiting at least for a month to see if things works for me. Anyone can give it a try women bodies are different after all."

Zenais February 29, 2016

"To anyone thinking about the getting the Mirena.... expect to bleed for weeks afterwards but don't be worried. I've had mine for 3 years now and haven't had a period in 2 years. I've spotted once or twice but my periods weren't bad in the first place. Everyone's different. The insertion was PAINFUL and at first I bleed for 4-6 weeks with bad cramps. It was horrible but I'm glad I stuck it out. The piece of mind I get from such an effective birth control was worth the rough beginning."

Worth It February 25, 2016