User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Review Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"28yo and never been pregnant. I used ParaGuard IUD for 7 years with NO issue. A year ago my periods got heavy and 3-4 weeks long. Gyne didn't think that the IUD was the cause. We decided February this year to try the Mirena to lighten my periods. It worked! However, I did have extreme breast tenderness, moodswings, etc. About 3 months later I experienced the worst cramping I'd had in over 10-15 years and the Mirena was expelled. In June I had a new one put back in. A few days ago (this is August), I had unusual cramping and as of yesterday the second Mirena expelled. I am not pleased. I'll never use Mirena again. I will go back to using the copper one since there were no side-effects."

Malina118 August 17, 2015

"Had insertion one week ago. I have never had a kid and my doctor did not warn me how painful it was going to be. She said some pressure and cramping was normal, but when she did it and noticed how buckled over in pain I was she called the pain "mini labor" because it dilates the cervix momentarily and said the cramping should pass in 30 minutes. It did not. I wish I had known it was going to debilitate me so much that I wouldn't be able to work 3 hours later. Make sure your parent, friend, or significant other are there with you to take you home if you have it inserted and have never had kids. I immediately bought a heating pad to help with the cramping pain I have had since insertion. I use icy hot patches at work to distract the pain."

LauraAge27 August 16, 2015

"I had the mirena inserted over 4weeks ago and it has been constant bleeding every since. I was told be my Obgyn that I wouldn't have periods however I have had a period for 5weeks. I don't know if this is normal but I am considering having it removed."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2015

"Constant bleeding for the entire 9 weeks I had it in. Range from moderate to light. Only 4-5 days blood free and not consecutive. Think it is stopping one day only to start the next. Hair loss 1 Month in and strange headaches. Also stuffy nose. Only one star due to painless insertion. Getting it pulled next week. Cannot wait to be normal again. Rather have 1 week of bleeding vs. Constant light bleeding."

unhappyuser (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2015

"Hi I am a 35 yo with one child and a tubal ligation. I have had the Mirena almost two years. I have it in place due to bleeding cause from my fibroids. I was bleeding 20 days a month. Initially I was grateful to have a normal cycle. As time progresses I have started spotting for 5 day then bleeding heavy with cramping. I have a foul odor and back pain keep getting Antibiotics and it goes away while taking them then comes back a few days later. I have been very uncomfortable, acne, bloating, and Moody. I don't like it and it has to go. It does not effect women the same but consider alternative options before choosing this one."

Mahogany2234 August 10, 2015

"I have PCOS and fibroids. Had a tubal ligation during caesearean with third child 7/21/09 which lead to 10 weeks of bleeding and spotting. Had d&c in December 2010 then mirena inserted for treatment of heavy menstrual flow. Of course my periods go heavier, not lighter, but somewhat predictable with help of period tracker app. Once my period hit day 47 in Oct 2012 I had it removed and my period started that day. Since I had the mirena removed my periods have become normal"

Brandi768 August 9, 2015

"Had mirena implanted 9 months ago for heavy bleeding & uterine fibroids. Bleeding has almost stopped but side effects are terrible. I have people asking me why i cant control my mood swings. Strange odour, no sex drive what so ever, frequent headaches, frequent cramps in calf muscles, put on 7kgs since mirena was implanted. Doctor said to try this as removing my uterus is too drastic & only done as last resort. I have tried soo many other contraceptives, nothing else has worked but for me the side effects far outweigh the lack of bleeding. I want mirena taken out at my next gynaecology appointment."

cuddlepie August 6, 2015

"Got it inserted (whitch pinched but didnt really hurt. Did get very light headed) the beginning of may. Its now august and still bleeding followed by smelly odor. Check out and they said things r fine. Ontop of the bleedig and oder ive had hair loss and brusing out of nowhere. Trying to hang in until the full 3 months. Im hoping this will go away as i have tried other methods that i cant keep up with (pills, condoms ect)"

Heidi27 August 5, 2015

"I had an exploratory laparoscopy and a mirena coil inserted as I had been experiencing very painful and heavy periods for some time. The laparoscopy recovery was horrendous, painful, the trapped gas in my chest was soul destroying ... it was the worst thing I have ever been through. The coil on the other hand has been an unexpected blessing. I am about 3 months post having it fitted. Month 1 I experienced bleeding daily, but light. Month 2 I had a couple of spotting days. Its now month 3 and it appears that my periods have stopped. I still get twinges and sharp pains in my hip bones and coxic bone daily that last a few seconds. When I do yoga I need to be careful with some of the poses. But Im really optimistic that its going to settle."

Rebecca648 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2015

"I've had my Mirena for over a month now. Insertion sucked, but I had some kind of small blockage in my cervix that the Dr had to poke through (he said most women don't have that). I bled for a couple of days after, but didn't experience any real spotting or cramping until my first period. I had to call in sick to work one day because of the pain, but it still wasn't as bad as my pre-Mirena cramping. I haven't stopped bleeding since, but it's very light. I know this can happen for the first few months, so I've committed to a full year before I start wondering if it should be removed or not. I'm very hopeful that Mirena and I will have a good, long relationship though."

cookiefiend August 2, 2015

"Got my IUD inserted toward the end of my period on July 6th. I just had a baby in March and it took me almost 3 months to start my period. Insertion wasn't too bad. Felt a little pinching but that was it. I did bleed after insertion that that lasted about 2-3 days. After that I started having really bad abdominal pain to where I needed to take Ibuprofen all the time. The bleeding did stop after the 3rd day of insertion but then on July 19th I started to bleed heavily and have not stopped since. So basically for these past 3 weeks I have either had sever abdominal pain or heavy bleeding. I'm really not liking this at all. It's irritating to have to go through what seems like an extended period. Considering in having it removed!!"

Lady702 (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

"I had uterine ablation and Mirena insertion under general anesthetic 5 weeks ago. I am SO happy I did. The only side effects I've noticed so far are a few small breakouts (I had cystic acne all through my 20's, so I was very concerned about this)-- but it seems all settled now and my skin is clear again. I had several friends and doctors recommend Mirena to me. I was hesitant and tried naturopathy first to regulate my cycle and help with ovarian cysts etc, but nothing worked enough to get my iron up. So glad I tried this. I feel like it's improved my quality of life so much already. I would recommend to anyone concerned about pain of insertion, to ask your doctor if insertion under conscious sedation is an option."

J N July 26, 2015

"i had Mirena inserted a week ago after D and C and hysteoscopy at the same time. I was under a general anaesthetic so can't comment on pain on insertion. I started bleeding between periods and after sex about 2 years ago. It got increasingly worse despite medication and tranaxamic acid. It would always come back..with a vengeance! I Had hormones tested as the doctor suspected peri menopause but my hormones showed I was nowhere near menopause.My iron was super low too.Ultrasound showed small cysts on ovaries and also thickened uterine lining and a small polyp. After having the procedures last week and the Mirena fitted I feel like a new woman! Had minor cramping for 24 hours and have only had slight spotting since. Nice to feel normal after so long!"

Jen Oz (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 26, 2015

"Had the Mirena inserted in May 2015 to control heavy bleeding after having my second child. My tubes are tied and I have PCOS so dr did not want to do oblasion since my risk of uterine cancer is higher. Insertion wasn't bad, and I had some painful cramping for 24 hours after but felt normal again within a week. Had no period at all in June And around the time my period would have started in July I started bleeding. Not heavy, I wouldn't even soak through one pad a day. A few times fairly large clots came out but I figure that is my body adjusting. It has been almost 2 weeks and I'm still spotting. Noticed a bad odor but no infection. Dr said it takes 6 months to settle so in trying to hang in there!"

MegHannW (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2015

"Painful insertion do to tilted uterus no spotting and back pain, should have went for hysterectomy"

tired of this issue July 7, 2015

"I had mirena for 4 months and I have not stopped bleeding yet! There is a strange odor but no infection. My sex drive has decreased because of this constant bleeding. I am extremely tired of this and I am ready to take it out myself!!"

Cheyenne Autumn July 6, 2015

"I've had the mirena for about 2 years. Everything's been fine up until last week. It was a little early for my period, but eh, I've never been regular. We were running across the street and I felt something stab me on the inside. I'm pretty sure the mirena has moved (again). Since then, I've bled heavily for a day, then not at all, then I bled for a day, then not at all. It doesn't hurt. There's not even a cramp. It's just blood. I'm going to the doctor to check it out and make sure everything is okay. Just thought maybe someone else went through this."

J Fran (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 4, 2015

"I had my IUD placed about 3 months after having my first kid. I thought it was a good idea since I read that it will stop periods. Since I am nursing I hadn't gotten a period until 1 week after I got mirena. My period had lasted over a week now. That part I do not like. I was probably better off without it. Hopefully this goes away soon."

First time user July 3, 2015

"I've had the Mirena for 5 weeks now. I had to have two attempts at it but I do have a low pain threshold. Taking a pain killer didn't really help but the doctor used local anesthetic gel and holding my mums hand also helped lol. After the procedure I felt a huge weight lifted off me so I cried. Since then I've had cramps everyday, mainly late afternoon. My period started late and I've been bleeding for over 2 weeks now. Its very light but still annoying. I've had a very high sex drive since the first day of insertion. Also I noticed a weird odur but no infection present. Baths help and I add cider vinegar as its a natural antibac. I haven't gained any weight but it's been really hard for me to work out as I start to get bad cramps."

Chanken July 1, 2015

"I have had Mirena for about 9 months now. Before I was on the pill with a period for four days. I switched to Mirena because it was just easier than remembering to take a pill. Shortly after the insertion I had severe pain and bleeding. A month later I started spotting then bleeding for over a week. This would occur every couple of weeks. It was irritating but I thought it would have gotten better. Now 9 months later I experience periods for 2-3 weeks straight with constant bleeding. I am fine for a week, and the entire process begins. I am switching back to the pill."

Nikkk16 June 28, 2015

"It's been almost 5 months on the mirena and I'm still having break through bleeding. I constantly have to be wearing a pad , day & night. All my under wear are ruined."

Candida (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2015

"I had the mirena inserted last Thursday 6/11/15. I took ibuprofen 1hr before. The cramp on insertion was not as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe the ibuprofen worked. The cramping has stopped but I still continue to spot. Other than spotting so far so good. Before mirena I was on the depo. I gained 20 lbs and what was suppose to help my bleeding only cause me more trouble. Depo caused me to have no period for 6 wks then I would spot the next 6 weeks until next injection. I really hope the mirena works out. Also with depo I had large clots. No clots so far since the mirena"

Anonymous D June 14, 2015

"I had mirena inserted on May 27th.... Terrible pain but only for a minute. My doc was quick and talked me through the procedure. Since the 27th, I have bled constantly. It is terrible ... I have an extremely heightened sex drive but the bleeding is getting in the way. My husband wants it out he said I was better off without it. I have been very moody and tired. Also notice a weird odor but no infection is present. Ugh."

Steffy420 June 10, 2015

"I'm 38 and have been a heavy bleeder for most of my life. Soaking pads and tampons many times day and night. I tried birth control pills to control my bleeding but they made me depressed and had to stop them. I tried the Mirena and was shocked at how fast my periods stopped. Just unbelievable that in two months I went from soaking pads and tampons chronically to wearing a small liner daily. It was a small pinch getting it in and well worth it. I really thought there was hope for my bleeding and it has been gone for 5 months now. The first 2 months I had little periods. Then they stopped all together. This Mirena really works. Hang with it for a few months and your period will be gone."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2015

"I have had the Mirena for 13 months now. I had light bleeding in between periods the first two months and then just a light brown discharge between what should have been periods ever since. I had cramps the first 8 months, but they were sporadic and disappeared within 30 seconds each time I felt one. I would get occasional cramps when I should have had a period. No skin breaking out, no mood swings at all. I want to KISS the person who invented this. And it didn't hurt when I had it inserted. Felt like a huge menstrual cramp for about 30 seconds and that was it and I have never had a baby. So far, so good!"

Shawnybear June 9, 2015