User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"Got my IUD inserted toward the end of my period on July 6th. I just had a baby in March and it took me almost 3 months to start my period. Insertion wasn't too bad. Felt a little pinching but that was it. I did bleed after insertion that that lasted about 2-3 days. After that I started having really bad abdominal pain to where I needed to take Ibuprofen all the time. The bleeding did stop after the 3rd day of insertion but then on July 19th I started to bleed heavily and have not stopped since. So basically for these past 3 weeks I have either had sever abdominal pain or heavy bleeding. I'm really not liking this at all. It's irritating to have to go through what seems like an extended period. Considering in having it removed!!"

Lady702 (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

"I had uterine ablation and Mirena insertion under general anesthetic 5 weeks ago. I am SO happy I did. The only side effects I've noticed so far are a few small breakouts (I had cystic acne all through my 20's, so I was very concerned about this)-- but it seems all settled now and my skin is clear again. I had several friends and doctors recommend Mirena to me. I was hesitant and tried naturopathy first to regulate my cycle and help with ovarian cysts etc, but nothing worked enough to get my iron up. So glad I tried this. I feel like it's improved my quality of life so much already. I would recommend to anyone concerned about pain of insertion, to ask your doctor if insertion under conscious sedation is an option."

J N July 26, 2015

"i had Mirena inserted a week ago after D and C and hysteoscopy at the same time. I was under a general anaesthetic so can't comment on pain on insertion. I started bleeding between periods and after sex about 2 years ago. It got increasingly worse despite medication and tranaxamic acid. It would always come back..with a vengeance! I Had hormones tested as the doctor suspected peri menopause but my hormones showed I was nowhere near menopause.My iron was super low too.Ultrasound showed small cysts on ovaries and also thickened uterine lining and a small polyp. After having the procedures last week and the Mirena fitted I feel like a new woman! Had minor cramping for 24 hours and have only had slight spotting since. Nice to feel normal after so long!"

Jen Oz (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 26, 2015

"Had the Mirena inserted in May 2015 to control heavy bleeding after having my second child. My tubes are tied and I have PCOS so dr did not want to do oblasion since my risk of uterine cancer is higher. Insertion wasn't bad, and I had some painful cramping for 24 hours after but felt normal again within a week. Had no period at all in June And around the time my period would have started in July I started bleeding. Not heavy, I wouldn't even soak through one pad a day. A few times fairly large clots came out but I figure that is my body adjusting. It has been almost 2 weeks and I'm still spotting. Noticed a bad odor but no infection. Dr said it takes 6 months to settle so in trying to hang in there!"

MegHannW (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2015

"Painful insertion do to tilted uterus no spotting and back pain, should have went for hysterectomy"

tired of this issue July 7, 2015

"I had mirena for 4 months and I have not stopped bleeding yet! There is a strange odor but no infection. My sex drive has decreased because of this constant bleeding. I am extremely tired of this and I am ready to take it out myself!!"

Cheyenne Autumn July 6, 2015

"I've had the mirena for about 2 years. Everything's been fine up until last week. It was a little early for my period, but eh, I've never been regular. We were running across the street and I felt something stab me on the inside. I'm pretty sure the mirena has moved (again). Since then, I've bled heavily for a day, then not at all, then I bled for a day, then not at all. It doesn't hurt. There's not even a cramp. It's just blood. I'm going to the doctor to check it out and make sure everything is okay. Just thought maybe someone else went through this."

J Fran (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 4, 2015

"I had my IUD placed about 3 months after having my first kid. I thought it was a good idea since I read that it will stop periods. Since I am nursing I hadn't gotten a period until 1 week after I got mirena. My period had lasted over a week now. That part I do not like. I was probably better off without it. Hopefully this goes away soon."

First time user July 3, 2015

"I've had the Mirena for 5 weeks now. I had to have two attempts at it but I do have a low pain threshold. Taking a pain killer didn't really help but the doctor used local anesthetic gel and holding my mums hand also helped lol. After the procedure I felt a huge weight lifted off me so I cried. Since then I've had cramps everyday, mainly late afternoon. My period started late and I've been bleeding for over 2 weeks now. Its very light but still annoying. I've had a very high sex drive since the first day of insertion. Also I noticed a weird odur but no infection present. Baths help and I add cider vinegar as its a natural antibac. I haven't gained any weight but it's been really hard for me to work out as I start to get bad cramps."

Chanken July 1, 2015

"I have had Mirena for about 9 months now. Before I was on the pill with a period for four days. I switched to Mirena because it was just easier than remembering to take a pill. Shortly after the insertion I had severe pain and bleeding. A month later I started spotting then bleeding for over a week. This would occur every couple of weeks. It was irritating but I thought it would have gotten better. Now 9 months later I experience periods for 2-3 weeks straight with constant bleeding. I am fine for a week, and the entire process begins. I am switching back to the pill."

Nikkk16 June 28, 2015

"It's been almost 5 months on the mirena and I'm still having break through bleeding. I constantly have to be wearing a pad , day & night. All my under wear are ruined."

Candida (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2015

"I had the mirena inserted last Thursday 6/11/15. I took ibuprofen 1hr before. The cramp on insertion was not as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe the ibuprofen worked. The cramping has stopped but I still continue to spot. Other than spotting so far so good. Before mirena I was on the depo. I gained 20 lbs and what was suppose to help my bleeding only cause me more trouble. Depo caused me to have no period for 6 wks then I would spot the next 6 weeks until next injection. I really hope the mirena works out. Also with depo I had large clots. No clots so far since the mirena"

Anonymous D June 14, 2015

"I had mirena inserted on May 27th.... Terrible pain but only for a minute. My doc was quick and talked me through the procedure. Since the 27th, I have bled constantly. It is terrible ... I have an extremely heightened sex drive but the bleeding is getting in the way. My husband wants it out he said I was better off without it. I have been very moody and tired. Also notice a weird odor but no infection is present. Ugh."

Steffy420 June 10, 2015

"I'm 38 and have been a heavy bleeder for most of my life. Soaking pads and tampons many times day and night. I tried birth control pills to control my bleeding but they made me depressed and had to stop them. I tried the Mirena and was shocked at how fast my periods stopped. Just unbelievable that in two months I went from soaking pads and tampons chronically to wearing a small liner daily. It was a small pinch getting it in and well worth it. I really thought there was hope for my bleeding and it has been gone for 5 months now. The first 2 months I had little periods. Then they stopped all together. This Mirena really works. Hang with it for a few months and your period will be gone."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2015

"I have had the Mirena for 13 months now. I had light bleeding in between periods the first two months and then just a light brown discharge between what should have been periods ever since. I had cramps the first 8 months, but they were sporadic and disappeared within 30 seconds each time I felt one. I would get occasional cramps when I should have had a period. No skin breaking out, no mood swings at all. I want to KISS the person who invented this. And it didn't hurt when I had it inserted. Felt like a huge menstrual cramp for about 30 seconds and that was it and I have never had a baby. So far, so good!"

Shawnybear June 9, 2015

"I got the Mirena on April 23rd to help with my endo and heavy bleeding. I got it removed yesterday, June 8th. I had about 3 or 4 good days and the rest I was enduring the same kinds of cramps that I did with my periods each month. It drained me. I wanted it to work for me so badly and felt guilty when I asked to have it removed yesterday thinking I hadn't given it long enough to settle. An hour after it was gone, I no longer felt guilty. The pain was gone. The doctor told me it could take up to 6mths to settle but I just didn't have it in me to wait it out that long. I had a horrible experience with it. Zero energy, terrible mood swings and many times I was doubled over in pain similar to labor pains which took my breath away."

kjbkjg June 9, 2015

"I am 51 and still have excessive bleeding during my period. I had Mirena inserted on the second day of my period. Had period for three more days then I stopped for six days. Then I started my petiod back up bleeding continually and I'm on my 28th day now. Insertion was a breeze I had given birth to two children vaginaly. Only took Tylenol and had no cramping. My Gyno wants me to give it at least four months before I make a decision. Just hoping that menopause will come soon and this will be a mute point. My face has not broken out I have not had Moodswings and have not noticed any weight gain. After reading most of these reviews it is fair to say we are all reacting differently. My bleeding is still not as heavy as it was before."

Cbbrig420 June 8, 2015

"I have only had the Mirena IUD for a week but I wanted to share my experience. My OBGYN recommended it for heavy menstrual bleeding. I had a tubal 6 years ago, after my 5th child, so I don't need birth control but this was her alternative to having the ablation surgery. Insertion was done in the office, on the first day of my period. I took ibuprofen before I went in for the appointment. The insertion itself felt no different to me than a Pap smear. No cramping at all during or after. I was only spotting to begin with since I had JUST started my period. The next two days were very light period days for me, where they normally would have been super heavy. I'm still spotting a week out, which is normal for me. So far, no complaints!"

LilHotMess (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2015

"i had this put in around 6 months ago because I'm anemic and was bleeding excessively during my period (4days max). Pretty much blessings constantly for that 6 months. Seems a little stupid to have something in that makes the situation worse. Also, I'm a very active person and it stunted my weight loss completely. I was always bloated and couldn't understand why! Got it removed. Immediately lost 5 lbs of water weight. NEVER AGAIN!!"

Spankyspanks May 31, 2015

"I was concerned Mirena would be difficult after reading about it. No problems having it put in however, a few days after did notice a little cramping. I don't notice weight gain and I think it has helped with tending to have a lower abdominal fat."

NH native (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 30, 2015

"I've had Mirena for about 3 months now. I'm 29, no kids, active lifestyle. So far its been a mess down south. I will bleed for a few hours every week or so, then constant spotting since day one (brown dry blood consistency). My acne had gotten out of hand, so I went to my GP to get prescription acne lotion and hopefully that will help. Breast tenderness and constant feeling of being bloated. Just waiting for this to pass and my body to adjust…but not sure if it will. I cannot do oral contraceptive as it makes me extremely moody and cause weight gain."

JJMirena May 26, 2015

"I was diagnosed with perimenopause in 2010 which included anxiety depression and mood swings at the age of 40. I had blood clots flowing down my legs for ten days then in 13 days I would bleed again . I would be double over in pain. I became anemic and still am . My Dr has me on anti depressants for anxiety which is working. After 4 years I was sent to Gyno. She did ultrasound and discovered I had adenomyosus and endometriosis. She did a D&C it was too complicated to do ablation or hysterectomy. The Gyno recommended mirena. She put in 3 weeks ago . Dr cut string so can't feel it. Some light spotting and cramping and no period for 31 days now. Gyno will check in five weeks it takes 7 months to get full effect. give it a chance ! Love it so far."

Trixielynn May 22, 2015

"Just got my IUD placed today! I was honestly so terrified to go I had put it off for a year now. It was the quickest, least painful procedure I've had. My Dr paced a local anesthetic and I didn't feel a thing."

Amg2209 May 19, 2015

"The insertion of the iud was painful. Afterward I experienced cramping & spotting for 2 days. About a week later I experienced acne. Luckily I have teens and I use their acne gel. A few weeks later my right foot and ankle was swollen. I used ice, elevate my foot and when that didn't work I went to the Doctor. The X-ray didn't show anything wrong. My ankle hurt in I small area and it was difficult to walk without limping. I began reading reviews about iud side effects and sure enough a swollen ankle is a side effect. I had to purchase an ankle wrap to ease the pain. I had the iud inserted 3/15 for irregular bleeding due to peri menopause. I'm going to Try to keep it as long as I can hoping the swelling will completely go away soon"

Joy916 May 19, 2015

"It's been 3 months. Basically non stop spotting or bleeding. Mirena and sex life do not get along. Miserable. Considering removal."

Terri226 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2015