User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"After years of having my periods every 2 1/2 weeks i decided to try the Mirena as a last option. I've had it in for 6 months. Its so great not to be bleeding all the time but I'm not sure if its the Mirena but i have gained weight and i continue to gain it and its freaking me out. I've been exercising and eating really well but I've slowly crept from a size AUS 14 up and up. I actually probably eat less than before the Mirena. Going to the dr to suss it out. Its not just the weight gain though. My hair has thinned dramatically. Next step hysterectomy."

Jadles123456789 May 24, 2016

"I got Mirena inserted about 3 monthes ago and I am so happy that I did. I had been on 4 different types of birth control pills and each of them affected me differently. I gained weight, had terrible mood swings, didn't have a sex drive, and was always fatigued. Now that I have gotten Mirena everything has changed... I lost almost 10 pounds now back to where I was before I ever started the pills! I weigh around 122 and when I was on the pills I weighed 132 and I was miserable. Mirena has made me have light bleeding here and there but my doctor said that it is just my body adjusting. I am very satisfied with it and I hope that it treats me well for the next 5 years!"

CarolineG May 24, 2016

"I am 25 (2016) and got it inserted in December 2014. Insertion: a painful procedure for a tiny insertion. Followed by intense discomfort and pelvic pain, constant bleeding and pelvic and vaginal pain. Symptoms: first month or so nonstop bleeding, mood imbalance. 3 months. Continued frequent bleeding weight gain of 5 pounds. 6 months gained 15 pounds 1.5 years gained 20 pounds ( vegan, fit although no weight loss or maintenance) Experienced depressive symptoms such as lack of excitement, happiness, and lack of interest in previously preferred activities, fatigue and lethargy. I WAS GIVEN AS A METHOD TO TREAT NOT ONLY MENNORAGIA BUT OVARIAN CYST PAIN. REMOVE AS THIS IS COUNTERINTUITIVE AS ONE OF THE RISK"

Crohnscyster (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2016

"Im 41 years old with irregular bleeding. I have had mirena in for 9 months, and so far so good."

mature women (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2016

"i had this in under duress whilst having camera n biopsy..within 24hours i had headaches felt hot and flushed...over 4 days i felt really bloated and down...haf it took out after 6 days and instantly felt better"

michelleg45 (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2016

"Due to a blod clot history in my family I can't take hormones.....thus the Mirena IUD was recommend to help deal with my heavy non stop bleeding. I had it put in 2 months ago. The bleeding is not gushing anymore but I am still bleeding every single day, non stop. Such a drag. I still have cramps. I am moody and sore and feel like crap. I hate it! I want to take it out tomorrow but then what if the hemorrhaging comes back? Stuck between a rock and a hard place. It all sucks."

Mirena Sucks May 15, 2016

"I got my the mirena because I didn't want to have a hysterectomy, I have had it now bout 2yrs I will say that it stop the bleeding for me but it did cause me to gain like 20 pounds and is very painful for me during Intercourse which I don't like about having this just glad not to be bleeding 20 days out of the month (very heavy). So I will say that it did what I expected just the weight gain ."

Prisc.B May 14, 2016

"I'm in the final year of my 5. Having spent the vast majority of the last 3 years with no bleeding I'm now having a period or something. Has been 4 days now, should I be concerned? Advice please"

Windswept but not barren May 7, 2016

"2.3 years ago I inserted Mirena to reduce the amount of bleeding. But I am bleeding even now. "NEVER STOP""

Always sunshine May 7, 2016

"Mirena IUD was the best decision I ever made. It gave me my life back. I almost lost my job due to extremely debilitating periods. I bled on and off for the first 3 months and still had some cramps. By 6 months my period had almost disappeared. I've had the IUD for 4 years now and I'll be lining up for another one in 12 months time."

CittCatt May 5, 2016

"Honestly, I am still one of the undecided... I have/had dysmenorrhia that lasted a full 7 days each month. My tubes were tied 20 plus years ago. Perhaps it is genetics that I am in the place I am today because my mother went through many of the same symptoms and eventually had a hysterectomy. After discovering a large submucosal fibroid that was removed, I started to experience sharp pain ( which escalated from simple cramps ) when my cycle hit. The Mirena is my last viable option before surgery. It was place a week and a half ago. Within 4 days of its placement and seeing my doctor again because of pelvic pain from the jabs and sticks I felt, I'd lost 2 pounds. More weight is coming off 3 days later but still have pain."

LB1969 (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2016

"I was leary of getting the Mirena based on poor reciews of continued bleeding, but since the doctor told me "only 5% of women have those issues" I went ahead and had it inserted on Monday of last week. I was cycle day 5 and at the tail end of my period-read my lining should be very thin!!! Mon and Tuesday were great! A little cramping and very mild spotting. Wednesday however the flood gates opened. By Friday if I stood up I could see and feel the blood coming out. This is 100% unacceptable to me. I have emailed my gyn and told her I either want a script for estrogen which supposedly helps stop the bleeding or I want it out NOW. I am not going to wait and see if it regulates in 3 months. This is bs, 5%, right"

SusanL1974 April 25, 2016

"I found the mirena great. It wasn't very painful to have put in. It took 6/8 months to settle. For the first month's I had bleeding on and off all month. After 8 months I hadn't any periods. I replaced it with a new coil after 5 years. The only side effects I noticed were ance between 8months and 12 months."

Pinkboh (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 24, 2016

"Hi, I am on this site looking for information for my niece who is has had an IUD for a couple of years. After reading so many women comment that they tried the IUD because of heavy bleeding, I wanted to share my experience. I had very heavy bleeding and painful periods my whole life. In my forties I discovered a supplement called Cool Cayenne. It is a cayenne pepper capsule sold at health food stores. It helped my periods become lighter and cramping ceased. When I felt my period coming on I started to take one or two capsules and this helped greatly. If you are on an IUD strictly for a heavy period ( and do not need one for birth control), then you should research cayenne and heavy periods/cramps. The brand I took is Solaray."

Lynn Carter April 15, 2016

"Had my Mirena removed after only 3 months. Yes, it did significantly reduce monthly bleeding and cramping, but the negative side effects far outweighed the little positive effects. I am fortunate to live a very good life and have never experienced depression; however during the 3 months I had Mirena I felt very sad and depressed for no reason. I also had zero sex drive all the time - not just certain times of the month. Gained 10 pounds in 3 months while exercising vigorously on a regular basis and eating very healthy foods 1500 calories a day. I know my body very well and I know how to lose weight, but nothing worked this time. Also experienced tingling in my hands and feet. Looking forward to getting my life back after Mirena!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

"Hi ladies. Just wanted to share this with you and maybe ask several questions. I have Mirena for one month. My period before Mirena was 02.03.2016. After insertion I was bleeding around 4 days. After that I had spotting and then my period on 28.03.2016 ( 7 days- my regular one,before Mirena was 5 days). So, after my period I continued spotting and today I got my period again (13.04.) I didn't know thats possible.Every side effect affected me and I do not know how long I am going to "survive" with this thing in me. I have PMS, my boobs are painful not to mention cramps and ovarian pain...headaches.I am blown up and yes I do have a gooooood appetite these days. All of that obviously affecting my mood. What do you reckon- in or out? Thanks."

Maria J.A. April 13, 2016

"Minor bleeding for a few weeks after insitu. After that - none at all. Don't even know where I am in my cycle- no pain or bleeding. Only cost $30 for 5 years! Feel sorry for those who don't have one!"

Miranda Ham April 13, 2016

"My periods have been incredibly irregular. I bleed every time I am sexually active."

Gz0930 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

"WELL 50 pounds gained later next week I finally get my mirena iud removed. Had it in almost a year and did enjoy the care freeness of it and lack of period but gained uncontrollable weight and made me feel so insecure this past year. I know everyone reacts differently to iud's and I was warned by my doctor and the nurse putting it in that weight gain is common but silly me thinking it wouldn't effect me. I would never recommend the mirena to a friend unless they were very active gym members or could use a few extra pounds on their body haha"

blueberrypom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2016

"Well after I was told I needed mirena for heavy bleeding and being anemic I was scared to death. The reviews of this medication can scare anyone out of trying it. I had my tubes tied 8 years ago and did not need birth control but was told by my obgyn that it was less invasive than an ablasion which I really did want. I decided to give it a go! My OB said not to be scared. That every woman will have different reactions to this! I needed to have day surgery to have this inserted as my cervix was closed up too much to have it put in the office. Well it's been 6 weeks and it's been great. I spotted for 10 days after the procedure and nothing since. I was scared of weight gain, hair loss, and acne but nothing has changed!! Please give it a try!"

Best decision ever! April 7, 2016

"Got it prescribed to try and stop particularly heavy and long lasting periods. I also suffer from breast pain. The Mirena has stopped my period, which is a good thing, however I still get the severe breast pains and moodiness associated with pre-menstrual time, and have completely lost any sex drive. Also feeling ravenous and putting on weight (two dress sizes in a year)."

LNGWR April 7, 2016

"I've had the Mirena for 6 months and I have had bad cramps everyday since it was inserted. I have also either bled and had discharge every day to the point I am anemic. I have had trouble getting the doctor's to take it out, so if you are having similar issues, be an aggressive advocate for yourself. My experience is probably not representative. I have had strong side effects from oral birth control pills, including cramps and bleeding frequently. I also have emotional side effects and fatigue."

MerryB426 April 4, 2016

"I wish I had read some reviews about this product rather than just following my MD's recommendation to have a Mirena placed to control my extremely heavy and long periods(12-20 days). Since I was spending more time bleeding than not, I was confident that anything would be better than that. I was wrong and am seriously considering having it removed even if it means going back to such awful periods. While my periods are now light and manageable, they are still consistently 14 days long. The worst parts are the weight gain and mood swings. Despite training for a marathon including often burning 1400 calories in a single run, I continue to gain weight. The bloating is unsightly and frustrating while the mood swings have a huge impact on family."

Regretful (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 2, 2016

"I wanted to love Mirena, but that was not the case and don't understand why doctors aren't honest about the side effects. I went on Mirena and was very happy since I never got a period, however Im very careful about my figure and knew that there were "rumors" (since my doctor said this was not true) relating Mirena to weight gain. From the moment I had it inserted I watched what I ate and stuck to a 1300 calorie diet, working out 5 days a week... I still gained 10 pounds in the course of 3 months! I can't imagine what I would of gained had I not been watching what I ate and working out. I just had mine removed, hoping to go back to normal and cursing the day I decided to put that thing in my body!"

Em22 March 24, 2016

"I suffered such heavy periods, used to soak through overnight/maternity pads within minutes on a bad day, so you can imagine how life limiting it was. I was 48yo, had 3 kids. My gyno suggested a marina, thinking it would last 5 years so lasting me through until menopause. I was put under whilst it was inserted. My periods have since been irregular, spotty, unannounced but a lot lighter. To the point I'd wear either a panty liner or small pad. But it did change my life in that I could finally do things! Bad points: my hair has thinned, I now suffer from depression and anxiety, am constantly bloated, can't lose weight. But I thought it to be worth it as I could do things if I could find the energy that is. Today it changed."

wanthealth (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2016