Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Review by bestmommmmmy12 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've had this for over 9 weeks.. no side effects.. didnt make me moody or anything. Except I've been bleeding non stop.. switches from light spotting to almost like post partum bleeding! I'm giving it another month or so and if this bleeding doesnt stop then im getting this out! The reason this birth control works is because it refrains you from having sex because youre constantly bleeding.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2015 6:43 PM

Review by CRAIG AMY:

Let me say. I had some light bleeding after the first month. Now I have had no periods. I'm 41 years old. I have had the worst periods since I was 16. My mood swings have stopped and my skin is amazing. Look it up. It also helps with acne. I am so grateful. It really does work!

March 5, 2015 8:08 AM

Review by Jamski (taken for less than 1 month):

Mirena inserted 2-23. I am an active almost 30 year old who has problems with heavy periods and very painful crams. I was not on birth control before this. The insertion itself was a nuisance but tolerable. That was 3 days ago and since, I have experienced minor cramping with some spotting. I have had a gassy/bloated feeling since with lose stool. Yuck. My stomach is making some weird noises too. The real pain is the headaches and dizzy spells. Never in my life has a medication made me dizzy like this. My mood overall is pretty damn great considering I am always a little over-emotional. I have also had an increased sex drive but maybe this is due to some external factor I'm not thinking of. I hope I don't gain weight.

February 26, 2015 11:57 AM

Review by LyricalRationality (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I had Mirena placed after the birth of my second son and have had it almost two years. The first year was fantastic, I had little or no bleeding at all. Now, I have longer, heavier periods; excessive moodiness; and bleeding between supposed regular cycles. I think it may be time to remove it.

February 11, 2015 1:52 PM

Review by Anno5:

I had this put in while breastfeeding when my baby was eight weeks old. No side effects and my periods have not ever come back four years on - which is amazing as I had years of terrible pain with endometriosis. For me it has been the best thing ever!

February 8, 2015 1:18 AM

Review by Gina - 123456 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tried pill form birth control for a few years before getting off of it because it caused some strange mood swings/anxieties. Felt better off birth control for 1 full year but decided to try Mirena because I was getting my period after like 10 days from stress/etc. I took 4 Advil the morning of and the procedure was a bit uncomfortable but it kind of reminded me of getting an ear piercing ... it's painful but it's not like the worst type of pain ever. I just did a lot of deep breathing through it. Had cramping for a few days but just keep the Advil pumping! Discharge in the beginning, but pretty much smooth sailing now 2 months later. It's great!

February 3, 2015 5:50 PM

Review by Indi4025 (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm in my 40's with no kids. I have endometriosis and very painful periods. I got the Mirena a few days ago and I have had cramps non-stop since, my Dr. told me to expect cramps & bleeding. The procedure was VERY uncomfortable. But I'm hoping this will help with my endometriosis and painful periods.

February 1, 2015 1:56 PM

Review by manomino:

I got Mirena for 1 year and 3 months to reduce bleeding during periods, it was effective, my cycles were better but I suffered from a lot of the side effects that make my life terrible. First I never stop spotting between periods. I suffered from back pain, uterus cramps, panic attacks, stress. It really made me feel very sick. I removed it finally. Hope that things goes better.

January 28, 2015 6:01 PM

Review by gigi68 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was anemic and very low iron levels and even experienced passing out. I would bleed 10 days and couldn't control my bleeding ruining clothes chairs bed mattresses and sheets not to mention sleepless nights. I have a uterus fibroid and a few outside the uterus. I still had the Mirena placed even with the fact it may not be successful due to the fibroids. The first 3 months were spotting a lot but nothing more than a light day. 4th month seemed to have a period and spotted the whole month. I waited it out and I couldn't be happier. It is a wonderful thing. I have read a lot of negative things but its all opinions and its like trying new food, somethings you like, some you don't.

January 28, 2015 7:49 AM

Review by acne face:

Did not research the Mirena prior to my procedure so the pain of insertion was a surprise. It felt like someone was scraping the inside of my uterus with a small and very sharp knife. The Doctor jokingly said I looked as if someone just beat me up because I was tearing eyed and probably looked very angry. Had it now for two months and have been spotting and cramping everyday. I used to have pretty and clear skin. At 51 years old, I feel like a teenager with a bad pimple condition. Have an appointment this Tuesday and decided to have the Mirena removed. I will definitely research pain of removal and come prepared.

January 26, 2015 8:13 PM

Review by totallyhappy:

I am 42 years old. I have uterine fibroids which, for the past few years, have caused excessive bleeding during my periods. It was miserable. SO, my doctor suggested the Mirena IUD. It emits the tiniest amount of progesterone (something that I was apparently lacking) and thins the uterine lining which would greatly reduce my bleeding. Insertion was very painful for me. But I have never had kids. There were a few months of adjustment. I experienced quite a bit of body aches- my lower back and hips, legs and feet. That all went away. My periods are VERY light now. and my life is back to normal. It is now January and I feel great! So glad I did it.

January 20, 2015 2:42 PM

Review by eskin234:

I'm 20 with no children. Have had Mirena for a month. Bad cramping when inserted and the whole day after. No cramping since. Started my period shortly after, was significantly lighter than normal. I've been spotting every day since though. A bit annoying but it should go away. Got a little acne but it's almost gone, and I've been more irritable than usual.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2015 12:02 PM

I'm 16 years old with no kids. The insert of the Mirena was very painful, and I mean so painful that I teared up and felt very dizzy after. I have used birth control pills in the past for heavy bleeding and cramping but I got break through bleeding. The first day of getting it inserted was probably the worst day, now I'm just spotting! But I do recommend this device to other teens/women who have heavy periods!

January 13, 2015 11:49 AM

Review by Sexycibby35 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had Mirena inserted on September 2. I had very heavy cycles that lasted 8 days. After getting Mirena my periods are much lighter, no more ultra tampons and overnight pads at the same time! My cycle is 5 days but only the first day is enough for a super tampon. I spot the rest and most of the days nothing! Insertion was horrible, my uterus is really high and is kind of hidden behind my what's called the G-spot. I would go through it again to have the cycle I have now. Side effects are Breast tenderness constantly and acne. Still love it!

December 17, 2014 8:47 PM

Review by 1monthtrial:

I am 22 and had the Mirena inserted last month. I had dysmennorhea that was so bad that for 5 days of my cycle I was bed bound on morphine tablets. My bleeding has always been normal flow and predictable. But painful with many trips to the hospital when my tablets were not effective. During the rest of my cycle I was functioning on codeine tablets. I had tried other methods to control the pain such as the pill which only made it worse and unpredictable. Since having the Mirena fitted, I have been off my painkillers entirely (only taken codeine for a couple of days over the actual period time). The fitting was only uncomfortable with no pain killers. I have spotted nearly every day since fitting but that is welcome in comparison.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 7:29 PM

Review by karunga:

I had the Mirena inserted 7 months ago was a little painful and discomfort for a couple of minutes, but if you have been through normal child birth if you can handle that pain you can handle anything. After the insert of the Mirena which my doctor recommended because I was suffering from heavy menstrual bleeding and would last up 2 weeks. I spotted a little after insertion and was also cramping the next day was all gone about a week after insertion wham the bleeding was full on for about 1-2 weeks then it would stop a few days then wham bleeding again. It was constant 1 week stop another few days. I was so frustrated, so was my hubby. Now everything has settled we are all different, you have to be patient.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2014 4:12 AM

Review by OddAud:

I had my Mirena inserted exactly a year ago at the age of 56. Now 57 and still no menopause in sight. In fact I just got my period today. Granted its lighter than it was before Mirena but out of the last year, I have at least spotted almost every day. June was a good month for me with my first skipped period and no spotting. July one day of spotting. Went for my Pap smear in August, told my GYN that it looks like maybe this thing is finally working, started spotting that night and never stopped for the entire last month. I give up. I do give Mirena a 7 though because my periods are lighter, albeit right on time every month, unfortunately. I will keep it inserted as it is now about what I know.

September 4, 2014 12:18 PM

Review by orangecj18:

I am 51. Had it inserted 2 years ago. I never felt a thing. Did not take ibuprofen prior to. It was quick and painless. I bled for a couple weeks after. Slight cramping for a few days. I do still spot. Nothing major. Gained a few that I can't drop. That's my age too. Not to blame Mirena. Very glad I did it. Should also take me through menopause. Positive experience.

July 31, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by Sare:

The Mirena was a really good decision that I made. But getting it inserted was the most painful thing I have ever experienced in my life. The pain was so bad when the doctor was inserting it I thought I was going to pass out. I bled for a few days after it was in, minor spotting but very intense cramps. I got it almost a month ago and I am just starting to spot a little again now, so assuming this is my period that are normally very extreme due to my blood disease I have and not being able to clot, the Mirena is working well for me.

July 26, 2014 4:21 PM

Review by Luckymomof3 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have 3 children and just had my third Mirena put in today. The cramping has already stopped. I love the Mirena because the last 2 times my period disappeared. Also, My libido is usually good and I don't have to worry about taking the pill. The only problem is that at the 2 year mark because of my endometriosis, I start to get really bad cramping.

June 23, 2014 10:57 PM

Review by Hetherfly (taken for less than 1 month):

I got the Mirena three weeks ago. Was worried after what I had read here, so I took two Advil an hour before. Insertion had a few painful moments, but it was over quickly. No pain or bleeding since. So far, so good.

June 22, 2014 9:09 AM

Review by pmarie. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I get really bad pains when my period is going to start. My doctor told me to try taking Prilosec for the pain, which I happened to have because of a previous ulcer. I find that Prilosec OTC is the only thing that gives me almost immediate relief. I hope this can help others struggling with this type of pain.

June 11, 2014 8:35 PM

Review by NikiV2787:

I chose Mirena because I was having heavy periods with severe cramping along with terrible acne/pms symptoms. I am 27 years old and have never had children. I was very nervous before the procedure because of reading many terrible reviews. First off placement was the most painful experience thus far. Not even exaggerating. I've got a very high pain tolerance and I thought I was going to pass out. I left the office in some serious pain/cramping and it continued for about a day. I spotted for about a week along with minor cramps. It's now been 2 months and I have not had any spotting/cramping or periods! My mood is better and for the first time in 10 years I haven't had any acne breakouts. Also zero weight gain! I love Mirena, best choice ever.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2014 10:32 PM

Review by My experience with Mirena (taken for 1 to 6 months):

At 51, I have uterine fibroids and was experiencing super heavy bleeding for months at a time. My doctor recommended Mirena and I unenthusiastically agreed to it because my other choice was hysterectomy. When younger I had a terrible experience with the pill (made me really depressed which otherwise I am not). I had Mirena inserted 4 months ago and love it. I put on a bit of weight at the beginning which I have mostly lost already. The heavy bleeding is gone. I still wear a pad because I spot once in awhile but before I was using Depend because the bleeding was SO HEAVY. My mood is Ok. no depression or any similar symptoms. No acne. Insertion is painful but quick. The discomfort goes away immediately. So far Mirena is Ok for me.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2014 8:55 PM

Review by Carleyyyu:

I've had the Mirena for about 3 1/2 years @ first I experienced bleeding for about 4-6 months with only a few days of not bleeding in between (like some have said) I got it inserted after I gave birth to my son. After those first months of bleeding passed my periods became light and only lasting a few days. I love this because before I was a heavy, heavy bleeder! But recently I've noticed way more acne, along with bleeding (spotting) every 2 weeks. Now all of a sudden I had a heavy period again! Along with cramps and the same old stuff! I'm kinda scared because it has always worked extremely well for me! I wonder if all this is because it's getting closer to the 5 year mark! Can anyone relate?

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2014 2:26 AM