User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 157 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Review by May J:

I just got the Mirena 2 days ago. I was very worried, but it wasn't too bad. I do feel some bloating. I had cramping and some spotting but the spotting has stopped already. I was able to walk/jog after the insertion. I'll re-post after a few weeks so far so good.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 3, 2014 3:16 PM
Review by d222j:

I just got the Mirena inserted this morning and thought I'd share my experience. When my doctor inserted the Sound to measure my uterus, it was like a sudden cramp that came on and it was alarming (an eye opener). Then she proceded to insert the Mirena, which also was quite crampy, but not as intense. To me, the Sound was more uncomfortable than the Mirena insertion. I have read a bunch of horror stories online and honestly, I can say it really wasn't that bad. In fact, I only took 1 Advil before insertion and I am home now and I'm not even cramping. Don't get me wrong, insertion wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't anything horrible.

February 3, 2014 12:34 PM
Review by traceyb419: User Rating:

I had almost a constant headache when I first had it in I gained 12 lbs in 2 weeks (thought it was water but it stayed). Not sure if I got depression or I just didn't feel right. Got it out yesterday..no more constant headache!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 25, 2014 6:14 AM
Review by Emmcat76: User Rating:

I have felt so wonderful since I had the Mirena inserted over a week ago - I feel like my old self! I have suffered for over a decade with huge fibroids, have been through two major open surgeries, multiple minor ones, have had horrendous periods, PMS through the roof, you name it - I've had it. This past week I have been energetic, happy, smiling and just plain normal!! I haven't felt like this for years and I can only assume my body is responding well to it. I hope my positive experience stays. I had it inserted under general anesthetic as my gyno did a hysteroscopy while she was in there.

January 21, 2014 9:17 AM
Review by Hazelk: User Rating:

I have dysmenorrhea. I have had Mirena for almost 5 years, due to get a replacement at the end of this month. It has been great - no periods, increased libido. I did get some angry red pimples on my chin, which cleared up with antibiotic cream from my GP. Have gained weight, but this is undoubtedly due to my terrible diet and lack of exercise! My GYN said I could leave it another 6 months, but I have been feeling moodier/libido decreasing the last couple of months, due to the hormones waning. Mirena is the best thing I ever tried, I got it to try and stop my very painful periods, and it has worked!

January 3, 2014 7:23 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

If I could give the Mirena a 20, I would! I had it inserted in August 2013 for endometriosis and I have had one period since; and I use the phrase period loosely (I barely bled for around 36 hours. It barely warranted the use of pantyliners). My primary reason for getting it was to keep my endometriosis at bay; it is an estrogen dependent disease that thrives during your period, so my doctor killed two birds with one stone. My insertion was mildly uncomfortable during the part where they open your cervix, but my doctor also had me take 800mg of Ibuprofen an hour before my appointment. The whole insertion process took less than two minutes. I had absolutely no spotting, cramping for three days. Added bonus, sex drive is through the roof!

December 23, 2013 3:16 PM
Review by Tess73 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I had a Mirena put in when I had my laproscopy for Endometriosis about five months ago. I had a month of heavy bleeding at first now its just a few days a month of light bleeding the rest of the time there is a light discharge whatever that is. It is annoying as I have to always wear a pantyliner. Good thing the Mirena has gotten rid of the heavy painful bleeding I had and my menstrual migraines (which used to last for 7-10 days every month). Yay! Only thing that really upsets me is the acne on my chin, though its more like rash type spots then full on acne it looks dreadful as my face has red splotches on it and its embarrassing. Still I would prefer to have that then the horrible pains and migraines that I used to.

November 16, 2013 1:54 AM
Review by KKS1 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I had the Mirena put in 9/4/13. It is 11/5/13 & I have not had 1 single day w/out bleeding!! This is so effective at birth control because you cant possibly have sex with all the bleeding it causes!! i am 38, of average weight and had it inserted for birth control, not to treat any other symptom. For me, getting it inserted was mildly uncomfortable, was over quickly. I was able to go running that same day...so I wasnt uncomfortable at all. I did take 800mg of ibuprofen before the appointment. The first 2 weeks I broke out with really nasty acne along my jawline. I think my hair has thinned. I have also experienced Migraine w/aura :-( My Mirena has until Jan., if this hasnt fixed itself, its coming out.

November 5, 2013 12:00 PM
Review by AnonymousOne2: User Rating:

I had my Mirena inserted in 2009 and I have yet to experience any major issues. Yes, in the beginning I bled for 3 months with a day or two in between with no bleeding at all, and I had thoughts of getting it removed but never did. It has been very effective and I am glad I kept it in. I have very light cycles now where I might spot for about 3 or 4 days and that's it. I'm relieved that I don't have to worry about unplanned pregnancies and I do plan to get the new one installed next year prior to my current one expiring.

August 1, 2013 5:28 PM
Review by jess6587: User Rating:

I'm almost 24 and have had Mirena for over 1 year now. I am SO glad I was not scared away by all the negative reviews. Sure, insertion hurt just a tiny bit, but it was about 5 seconds of a strong pinching feeling (due to an unusually sharp curve in my uterus) then a few hours of cramp pain, exactly the same as period cramps. If you can handle a monthly period you can EASILY handle Mirena's insertion! Since I've been using Mirena, my formerly wildly irregular periods have eventually diminished to a day or 2 of extremely light spotting (1 pantyliner is more than enough) every 2 - 3 months. I have not experienced weight gain, acne, or diminished libido, & my sex life is as good as ever!

July 13, 2013 5:05 PM
Review by ChocolateA (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I am 40. I had to change my birth control pills when I got 40. They weren't strong enough for me because I bled real heavy and for 7 days and every other week. So I decided to let my OB/GYN insert the Mirena which she had tried to get me to get before trying those lighter birth control pills. Its only been a week but I love not having to think about taking pill. Also I was on my period when it was inserted, my period became light the same day and was for three days. For me the placement was a 3 on a scale of 1-10 with pain. But my cervix is push far back & to the side and they had to pull it towards them to place it and that pain was a 7. So far no regrets only wish I had did it sooner.

July 1, 2013 7:31 PM
Review by Nickname (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have always had really heavy periods and when I was in high school I thought I was normal even though I was changing a super tampon every hour. Turns out high school girls exaggerate about their symptoms. I went onto the pill when I was 18 to deal with the bleeding and upset guts. It helped a little but I still got upset guts and would bleed for a full 7 days (still using those super tampons). I have had the Mirena for 1&1/2 months Granted I have only had one period since its been put in but it was a grand total of three days and I barely needed a panty liner for it. I had no upset guts. The only thing is if I have too much sugar (chocolate bar and a pop at the same time) I will get really bad gas pains. So I guess I just won't eat that much sugar anymore.

February 5, 2013 1:59 PM
Review by Can't Handle it:

I had the Mirena inserted 4 months ago. They say that the bleeding is abnormal in the first six months. But really bleeding for an entire 4 months with just a few days of no bleeding is ridiculous. I am so tired of wearing pads and having to worry about the bleeding. It puts a hamper on a lot of things. The bleeding isn't heavy but it is enough to have to wear a pad constantly. I hope when the 6 months mark hits this will clear up a little more. The pain not a problem. I had three kids and no problem with the pain. It is the bleeding the constant bleeding that gets on my last nerve. I will let it roll until the six month mark and hope for a change.

January 30, 2013 5:14 PM
Review by Tara Renee (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I thought I'd throw a positive review out there. I've read so many negative ones. I'm 19 years old. I've never had children, so getting it put in wasn't very pleasant, but not terrible. I got the Mirena because I was bleeding for almost a year straight, very heavily. The only negative side-effects I've had so far are bloating, cramps, and moodiness, but they went away after a week or so. I've had no weight gain whatsoever. I've actually lost a few pounds...Yay! My sex drive has actually gone nuts (in a good way), and my periods have stopped! That's the main thing I'm happy about. I was tired of bleeding all the time. I'd recommend the Mirena to anyone.

January 1, 2013 2:14 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Absolutely wonderful experience with my Mirenas - I'm now on number two! No periods, no mood swings, no lethargy, I just feel in great health. If you are wondering if the Mirena is for you, I recommend trying it. It seriously changed my life - I now *have* a life rather than being hostage to my hormones!

December 2, 2012 12:42 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I have had my Mirena for almost 5 years now and I have enjoyed a significantly lighter flow, continued regularity with no exception. It has changed my life! Pre-Mirena would have me feeling nervous to go out in public during my cycle as at some times, my flow would be unmanageable. I am now premenopausal and considering another one for the next five years

November 23, 2012 3:00 PM
Review by Jaroas: User Rating:

I'm 46 years old, on my second Mirena and will be eagerly lining up to have my third fitted next year. During my mid 30's I began to experience heavy periods to the point they were interfering with my ability to leave the house. My doctor recommended Mirena. It took many months to settle down (4-6 if memory serves) and I was at the point where I wanted it out but my doctor told me to wait another month and sure enough the daily spotting stopped. Mirena has worked wonders for me. I love the freedom and convenience of not having periods.

October 13, 2012 12:51 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I had the Mirena 1st inserted with great pain in 2006. After the initial pain of the insertion it was a miracle! After a lifetime of heavy and irregular periods I actually stopped having periods. After 5 yrs I had it replaced. My new Dr. did the removal and insertion of the new Mirena under general anesthesia. For the first year all was great. Then the unexplained spotting began..I was told it was stress... then bleeding and cramping for months that finally ended with bright red blood loss during sex... scared the heck out of my boyfriend and me... again dr told me stress was to blame. I changed Drs and was informed that hormone changes which cause the bleeding during sex. I am having it removed. Too much at risk the 2nd time around.

October 8, 2012 9:33 PM
Review by Laurenel (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I am 22. This thing HAS helped my horribly heavy, painful periods. But my body is so sensitive to this. I have broken out in horrible cystic acne on my chin (derm said this commonly causes acne) and cheeks, and my JOINTS ache, I can't sleep, I'm constipated, I'm sweating worse than ever & having hot flashes when it's 60 degrees. So, beware, for highly body-sensitive people, this may not be worth it. I am getting it removed. BUT IT DID HELP MY PERIODS!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 7, 2012 12:49 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I'm 48 years old and had the Mirena for 4 years now, it totally stopped my period and I was very pleased due to heavy bleeding. I have had dizziness, weight gain, and lots of acne, hair loss etc. I'm getting it removed a year early. It took a toll on my body, but everybody is effected in different ways.

August 24, 2012 2:04 AM
Review by RedHeadedMomma (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Had the Mirena in for a month and first period is basically non-existent. Was recommended for by my gynecologist because of harsh periods and excessive bleeding causing iron deficiency, though I don't really think my bleeding was that excessive. Have had minimal cramping and hardly any discharge, no bleeding to speak of. I was worried coming off the pill that my acne would come back, but my face is clearer than ever. Have noticed some abdominal bloating, but its only the first month so not a big deal. HOWEVER...people should be warned about the insertion process as it was quite a terrible experience even with a very gentle and experienced Gyno. Frankly, it hurt bad and I had immediate cramping. Have a driver with you.

August 8, 2012 11:51 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I've had my Mirena for about 9 months after having been on the Depo shot for 10 years. I chose this device because the Depo was too strong and my emotions flat-lined. I have a history of painful periods and need something so I can function. On the Mirena I have some annoying but manageable cramps and no bleeding. More importantly, I have mood fluctuations (a good thing) but nothing like the PMS extremes. Insertion was not very bad (I have not had children) as long as you take some pain killer a few hours before and get the cervical softener in place in the vagina the night before. I also had an experienced doctor insert it. Definitely do your research before you get it inserted. Overall, this is working very well. I have even lost a few pounds!

June 26, 2012 5:13 PM

I've had the Mirena for 3 months. It has been overwhelming positive. I had suffered from very heavy painful monthly periods, with often breakthrough bleeding during my cycle. As a result I became anemic and lived my life with no energy and dreading my next cycle. My doctor recommended the Mirena. I didn't give it much hope as I thought nothing could stop the pain and heavy flow. The Mirena did. No pain, no weight gain, no dreading my monthly cycles and no more anemia. Now all I have is spotting. The spotting was continual when I first had the Mirena which was a minor annoyance, but as time goes on the spotting is decreasing. I read many negative reviews before having the Mirena , but for me it has been fantastic.

April 8, 2012 10:11 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I had Mirena inserted in April 2011 as a treatment for endometrial hyperplasia with atypia and uterine polyps. The hyperplasia was gone at my 3 month biopsy and the polyps cleared by my 6 month biopsy. I am 41 years old and never had a child. My periods used to be heavy and now are very light for one to four days, only needing a liner. The main adverse side effects that I have experienced are breast tenderness a couple of days a month, more clear discharge throughout the month, and a little more acne. I can live with them knowing that the hyperplasia has been treated. I have even been able to continue losing weight. I would definitely recommend Mirena as an alternative to using Megace, which is the normal course of treatment.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 6, 2012 11:39 PM
Review by k127: User Rating:

I had Mirena placed in January 2012 to help with very heavy periods and low iron. Relatively comfortable placement, by a GP who specializes in women's wellness. Felt strong cramps for about 15 seconds during placement, other than that it felt like getting a pap. First month constant spotting and bleeding. Headaches. Cramps. (Very unusual for me but also very manageable). First period 30 days after placement 75% reduction in bleeding and days of period as compared to my normal periods. The headaches and cramping form the first month slowly dissipated, and now I don't get either anymore. I have not had a period since February, took a pregnancy test just to be safe, it was negative. I didn't expect much from Mirena...what a great surprise!

April 3, 2012 9:23 AM