User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 145 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

"Just got the Mirena three days ago, so not too sure how it's gonna play out yet. After almost two years of trying out different options to relieve my condition (dysmenorrhea), I sided with my doctor and went to the gynecologist to get it inserted... He basically told me I would get a small cramping sensation so didn't take anything at the time of insertion. It was an extremely painful experience, so much that I could barely stand after and had to have someone pick me up and drive me home. Spent the next 36 hours in bed, unable to move, in excruciating cramping pain with nausea. Could barely move or eat as it would send me straight to the bathroom. Currently have been feeling better since yesterday, but I guess we'll see."

taty12 January 28, 2016

"changed my life for the better"

theonlymermaid January 21, 2016

"I have Mirena for over 6.5 years due to my heavy periods because of uterine myomas. I just replaced new one over a year ago. I had natural delivery of 3 kids, so extraction even with hysteroscopy and insertion was a "piece of cake" for me. Did not sense anything. The plus sides are that it does the job and I have no excessive bleeding nor get pregnant or having any physical discomfort at all. However, I have several other side effects. Bad mood, low sex drive, weight gain over 25 kg and never gone down (I got 10 kg in first 3 months after first insertion), insomnia (cannot sleep at all without sleeping pill), my migraine have worsening, all body swelling - particular face and eyes (like I was heavy crying)......"

etoncev January 21, 2016

"I just had the Mirena inserted today around 3:30pm. The insertion procedure was painful for me but I only took Ibuprofen 30 minutes prior to insertion which may explain why the insertion was as painful as it was for me. The CNM who inserted the Mirena was very helpful explaining everything that she was doing while she was doing it during insertion of the Mirena. I have had cramping but Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen did help with that and just a little spotting. I have endometriosis also and I was not aware that it could spread to my pelvis and even as far as my lungs. I chose Mirena due to the fact that I gained a lot of weight using Depo and the pill and because it could help with my endometriosis."

CNA1979 (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

"Let's see here...first of all, I wouldn't even give mirena a 1 but 0 isn't an option. I had it for 2 long, excruciating, miserable months to help with my heavy periods. I lost my sex drive completely, bled the entire time. Had terrible back and pelvic pain, mood swings, not stop migraines, extreme hunger, no energy at all, severe depression and if that's not enough anxiety and panic attacks. I would absolutely not recommend this to anyone at all. So terrible. Think twice before you have this placed."

Cb2885 January 20, 2016

" My doc thought I would be fine with this with no kids, also selling the idea of almost no period. Insertion wasn't too bad, Xanax and 1000mg of ibuprofen, made it a piece of cake. Barely spotted for 5 days and thought it was amazing. I heavily bled for 63 days straight after those blissful five days. I had debilitating cramps, taking at least 2000mg of ibuprofen a day half the time. Day and night sweats, stress and anxiety out of nowhere, sleepless nights. Since then, I get my period for 9 days, AFTER about 4 days of spotting. Then 2 weeks it starts all over again. I bleed after sex. Turns out it made my body go through pre menopause... At 28 yrs old. Making an appt tomorrow to remove!"

RainyWA January 18, 2016

"Had Mirena placed in December of 2014 for endometriosis. Bled 15-20 days out of the month. 9 months after placement started to have severe hip, low back pain and nausea. Had severe PMS and a lot of hair loss. Turns out it perforated my uterus and I had to have emergency surgery. I would not recommend this device to anyone! Horrible experience with it and I wish I never had one placed!"

Katie Hicks January 18, 2016

"I got the IUD put in at the end of June 2015. It was a painful insertion! I have endometriosis and was told that this would help lessen the pain and irregular bleeding caused by it. So far, I am debating if I want to get it taken out. I have been having a constant period for the last (almost) 7 months and can barely remember going a whole week without bleeding. I got married in October and was hoping that it would have 'settled in' by then and I would be worry free for my wedding and honeymoon... wrong. I was still bleeding. I am not sure what to do at this point."

KacyM (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2016

"I got my mirena inserted in February 2013 and for the first month I bled lots and then that was it. Until September 2015 when I'd start to bleed during intercourse, it wasn't heavy but was enough to worry my partner and myself and its lessened our sex life due to not wanting to bleed everytime. I had a gynecologist observe my cervix in November and he said it wasn't damaged in any way, the mirena was still in place, and he gave me a prescription for a 10 day course of medication that will thicken my cervix lining, just to rule that out as the possible culprit. I haven't gotten the prescription filled yet as I've been busy and the bleeding settled down. Thinking of getting it removed and replaced with another contraceptive."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2016

"I had mirena inserted Sept 23 2015. I have given birth full term 7 times, and the discomfort for me was definitely comparative! I wanted mirena so I could have sex without worrying about another pregnancy, but due to bleeding heavily for 3 out of every 4 weeks (to date it is now January 1, 2016) I have not even had sex because of the mess! I even have some spotting during the "week off"!! I always had regular periods with 7 days of heavy bleeding, I'll be happy to go back to that. I haven't gained weight from it, but I fluctuate about 5-8 lbs from week to week. My hair was already thinning, but that seems worse, the texture of my hair is more fragile."

Saradix528 January 1, 2016

"I got the mirena inserted in September of 2015 is already the end of the year one more day and I'll be 2016 and I'm still bleeding... Is this ever going to end!!!!!!!!! I'm just so annoyed by now when is this going to end."

BloodyMess55 December 30, 2015

"I've had my mirena for about three years now, and experienced a bit of cramping and spotting within the first 5 months and then it went away! I've loved my IUD ever since, until recently the past week I started feeling really cramped up. I noticed yesterday a tiny bit of rusty coloured discharge, but hardly any, until today when I went to the washroom it got worse, and progressively worse throughout the day. My underwear are completely stained with brown spots and I'm freaking out, somebody please tell me if this is normal!!! Also, my best friend is on her period and I know it's normal for female hormones to sync with each others when they spend enough time together, but still thinking this is a little more serious.... HELLLP?!"

Kr23bb December 20, 2015

"I have had mirena now for just over 6 months for adenomyosis and anaemia caused by heavy bleeding. I am 50 and hoping it gets me thru to menopause. I was offered this 15 years ago but kept saying no. But in the end pain and bleeding I gave in and thought I would try before a hysterectomy. I had put in under a general with a d & c performed. Woke no pain at all a bit of spotting for about 6 weeks. Sore breasts first 2 months and mood swings. I have noticed a 1kg weight gain but that's no much. I do tend to gain fluid each month in lower abdominal area when I think I am suppose to have a period. Libido has gone and struggling to orgasm too. Unsure if I like it or not not much other alternative out there. I also are having lots of constipation"

Pollywaffle December 20, 2015

"Mirena gave me acne and I have erythema aswell."

Erika12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

"My Dr. Suggested the IUD after 2 yrs of bleeding issues. I was hesitant because I've always struggled with my weight. I got down to prepregnancy weight after 2 babies and keeping it consistent for 4 yrs. OBGYN swore it would not cause weight gain. I have been on the IUD for 3 yrs. I have gained almost 30lbs, 10lbs a year. At this weight my body hurts and I'm exhausted all the time. The 1st yr and a 10lb gain I started walking it did nothing. 2nd yr I changed my diet in addition to walking nothing. 3rd yr I started going to the gym with a personal trainer I haven't gained anymore just seem to maintain the weight I gained. Sooo depressing. My PCP has highly advised me to have the IUD removed. So I have made an appt."

Anonymous December 17, 2015

"I had mine inserted on Nov 3rd, and here it is December 10th and I am STILL bleeding. Not enough to warrant a tampon, but enough to be gross, and deter my boyfriend from sex. When the hell is this bleeding going to end? At my one month check up appointment my OB GYN said it was normal to bleed for a couple months. This better stop! After reading some of the shared situations in this post, I am not feeling too confident that it will."

HOTZ December 10, 2015

"I had gotten the Mirena at the advice of my gyn after being told that I could not do traditional birth control due to other health conditions. I do not have children. It hurt going in. I have had multiple endometrial biopsies that hurt a lot less. It was put in on 10/15/15 and I have not stopped bleeding since. I think that the bleeding has actually started to steadily started to become heavier. I will be contacting my GYN again on Monday to see about getting it taken out and other options."

hotaunt2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2015

"I got my Mirena IUD in October and I was super excited about it. The pain getting it in was pretty mild but my biggest problem is bleeding. I haven't had a period since before I started mirena but since I've started I've been bleeding for a least a month straight I get more intense headaches really bad cramping in a serious loss of appetite"

MrsToussaint5621 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2015

"Had mine placed in March, it was very painful but what the heck 5 years to not worry put me at ease. I work two jobs and I run 5 miles a day 5 times a week and at night I do weights and on the weekends I burn 1200 calories on my cross trainer every Saturday and Sunday. I watch what I eat. I've been the same size since high school. I am 45. I noticed a belly coming on and now I am size 13 I have gained 25 plus pounds and this is unexplainable. Massive headaches, back pains. Now my hair is starting to fall out. Some memory loss and at night I break out in heat sweats and can't sleep or am so groggy I have to drink coffee. Non stop Migraines which make me nauseated. I have been healthy and active since my mid 30's getting out Monday."

beah beah November 3, 2015

"I had been having really heavy and painful periods for about 3 years when i decided to get the mirena. A few weeks later i had the most painful period ever. my gyno said to try it for at least 6 months to let it settle in and I'm so glad i did! My periods since that one haven't been a quarter as painful as they used to be and i hardly bleed! i used to have a 7 day period with such heavy bleeding the first three days I'd have to change a maxi tampon every 2 hours. Now i don't even bleed enough to use a mini tampon! just a panty liner. I also haven't noticed any changes emotionally or physically ( other than the lack of pain). I'd recommend ppl wait a few months before getting it removed, it's worth it in the end! I love it!"

Emmy88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2015

"I am 43 years old. I have had three kids and am in Premenopause. I went from regular two and a half days period to a year and a half or irregular, heavy, cramping periods. I had the mirena inserted a month ago. I had to have a byopsy done. I had two doctors holding me down because there was no numbing. I almost passed out from the pain. After recovering I slightly bled for a couple of days. A lot of cramping for a week after. A month later I cramped severely for a week and then started my period. I'm on day six. I'm exhausted more often, have trouble remembering things and have a hard time concentrating. I'm already on anti depressants which is probably a good thing. I'm willing to give this longer hoping I'll stop soon."

Anonymous October 31, 2015

"I had Mirena inserted in 10/7/15 for heavy vaginal bleeding. I am 50 have had 2 children and have to say the insertion was painful. Since insertion I have been bleeding non stop along with heavy cramping and low back pain. The side effects have been horrible for me.. I have had major mood swings, anxiety, decreased appetite and no desire for sex whatsoever. I have recently been experiencing a stabbing pain in my right side which leaves me doubled over in pain for a short time. I had an ultrasound to make sure the Mirena did not move and was causing this pain to occur. Thankfully all results came back ok.. I have an appointment on 11/3 to have it checked but I am going to ask the doctor to remove it at that time.. not worth it to me."

DeedeeT October 30, 2015

"Mirena was recommended to me to calm down increasingly 'flooding' periods (more than a year of them) and ease me into menopause. It was inserted early July 2015 - a bit crampy but bearable. I bled almost every day (varying amounts, but more than a panty liner would take most days) until the end of September. Even when flow was very light, I didn't trust it. Sex life suffered due to the mess (but no issues with strings!) I was thrilled to finally have a bleeding free three weeks - but then a period - as heavy and flooding and long (or longer!) as the ones I was trying to get rid of!! First visit post insertion is scheduled for Nov 10 and at this point I'm very disappointed."

NS Girl October 28, 2015

"The insertion was not pleasant but also tolerable. Mine took a while to put in because I am young and haven't had any children. The first day was pretty awful and had bad cramps and bleeding for about two weeks decreasing in frequency and severity as those 2 weeks progressed . I had a few months of irregularity which was normal because that's why I had it put in in the first place. For the past year (almost 2 years) I have been period less! Not one which means no more crippling cramps and constant 28 day on 2 day off periods (yah I'm not kidding) so I would say just get over that few month bump in the road and enjoy the years of period free bliss!"

Mandy1313 October 24, 2015

"I had the MIrena IUD inserted three days ago, had it removed today. I'm 60, post menopausal, taking compounded estrogen and progesteron. Due to uterine lining thickening and a polyp, OBGYN did a D&C a few weeks ago, recommended the Mirena IUD to prevent further lining build-up. The insertion was easy. I was told to take 800 mg of ibuprofen 1.5 hours before insertion, felt no pain, very mild cramping after, no bleeding. The first night I felt anxious, kept waking up. The second night I couldn't fall asleep, finally fell asleep around 3am, fitfull sleep. Third night, no sleep until 5am. I'm very sensitive to meds, have the same problem with predensone and anti-histamines."

Inkhorn (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2015