User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Review by OddAud:

I had my Mirena inserted exactly a year ago at the age of 56. Now 57 and still no menopause in sight. In fact I just got my period today. Granted its lighter than it was before Mirena but out of the last year, I have at least spotted almost every day. June was a good month for me with my first skipped period and no spotting. July one day of spotting. Went for my Pap smear in August, told my GYN that it looks like maybe this thing is finally working, started spotting that night and never stopped for the entire last month. I give up. I do give Mirena a 7 though because my periods are lighter, albeit right on time every month, unfortunately. I will keep it inserted as it is now about what I know.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2014 12:18 PM

Review by orangecj18:

I am 51. Had it inserted 2 years ago. I never felt a thing. Did not take ibuprofen prior to. It was quick and painless. I bled for a couple weeks after. Slight cramping for a few days. I do still spot. Nothing major. Gained a few that I can't drop. That's my age too. Not to blame Mirena. Very glad I did it. Should also take me through menopause. Positive experience.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by Sare:

The Mirena was a really good decision that I made. But getting it inserted was the most painful thing I have ever experienced in my life. The pain was so bad when the doctor was inserting it I thought I was going to pass out. I bled for a few days after it was in, minor spotting but very intense cramps. I got it almost a month ago and I am just starting to spot a little again now, so assuming this is my period that are normally very extreme due to my blood disease I have and not being able to clot, the Mirena is working well for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2014 4:21 PM

Review by Luckymomof3 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have 3 children and just had my third Mirena put in today. The cramping has already stopped. I love the Mirena because the last 2 times my period disappeared. Also, My libido is usually good and I don't have to worry about taking the pill. The only problem is that at the 2 year mark because of my endometriosis, I start to get really bad cramping.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 10:57 PM

Review by Hetherfly (taken for less than 1 month):

I got the Mirena three weeks ago. Was worried after what I had read here, so I took two Advil an hour before. Insertion had a few painful moments, but it was over quickly. No pain or bleeding since. So far, so good.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 9:09 AM

Review by pmarie. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I get really bad pains when my period is going to start. My doctor told me to try taking Prilosec for the pain, which I happened to have because of a previous ulcer. I find that Prilosec OTC is the only thing that gives me almost immediate relief. I hope this can help others struggling with this type of pain.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2014 8:35 PM

Review by NikiV2787:

I chose Mirena because I was having heavy periods with severe cramping along with terrible acne/pms symptoms. I am 27 years old and have never had children. I was very nervous before the procedure because of reading many terrible reviews. First off placement was the most painful experience thus far. Not even exaggerating. I've got a very high pain tolerance and I thought I was going to pass out. I left the office in some serious pain/cramping and it continued for about a day. I spotted for about a week along with minor cramps. It's now been 2 months and I have not had any spotting/cramping or periods! My mood is better and for the first time in 10 years I haven't had any acne breakouts. Also zero weight gain! I love Mirena, best choice ever.

May 31, 2014 10:32 PM

Review by My experience with Mirena (taken for 1 to 6 months):

At 51, I have uterine fibroids and was experiencing super heavy bleeding for months at a time. My doctor recommended Mirena and I unenthusiastically agreed to it because my other choice was hysterectomy. When younger I had a terrible experience with the pill (made me really depressed which otherwise I am not). I had Mirena inserted 4 months ago and love it. I put on a bit of weight at the beginning which I have mostly lost already. The heavy bleeding is gone. I still wear a pad because I spot once in awhile but before I was using Depend because the bleeding was SO HEAVY. My mood is Ok. no depression or any similar symptoms. No acne. Insertion is painful but quick. The discomfort goes away immediately. So far Mirena is Ok for me.

May 21, 2014 8:55 PM

Review by Carleyyyu:

I've had the Mirena for about 3 1/2 years @ first I experienced bleeding for about 4-6 months with only a few days of not bleeding in between (like some have said) I got it inserted after I gave birth to my son. After those first months of bleeding passed my periods became light and only lasting a few days. I love this because before I was a heavy, heavy bleeder! But recently I've noticed way more acne, along with bleeding (spotting) every 2 weeks. Now all of a sudden I had a heavy period again! Along with cramps and the same old stuff! I'm kinda scared because it has always worked extremely well for me! I wonder if all this is because it's getting closer to the 5 year mark! Can anyone relate?

May 19, 2014 2:26 AM

Review by CRGL1, 45 y.o., 2 kids (taken for less than 1 month):

I had Mirena placed a couple weeks ago for major Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding, with moderate Endometrial Hyperplasia (14mm), and Iron Deficiency Anemia with megaloblasts. Bleeding for 3 months straight. I was soaking through Ultra absorbency tampons every hour the week of getting the Mirena. I had it placed on a Wednesday and by Friday my bleeding had almost completely stopped. I have not had any spotting since. The insertion felt like a quick cramp, and a fluttery feeling as the Mirena was being placed, not painful. I was very uncomfortably crampy that evening. But so far, moods are good, energy is coming back. My normal headaches are gone. I probably won't need a blood transfusion. I am liking this Mirena!

May 1, 2014 2:43 AM

Review by May J:

I just got the Mirena 2 days ago. I was very worried, but it wasn't too bad. I do feel some bloating. I had cramping and some spotting but the spotting has stopped already. I was able to walk/jog after the insertion. I'll re-post after a few weeks so far so good.

April 3, 2014 3:16 PM

Review by d222j:

I just got the Mirena inserted this morning and thought I'd share my experience. When my doctor inserted the Sound to measure my uterus, it was like a sudden cramp that came on and it was alarming (an eye opener). Then she proceded to insert the Mirena, which also was quite crampy, but not as intense. To me, the Sound was more uncomfortable than the Mirena insertion. I have read a bunch of horror stories online and honestly, I can say it really wasn't that bad. In fact, I only took 1 Advil before insertion and I am home now and I'm not even cramping. Don't get me wrong, insertion wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't anything horrible.

February 3, 2014 12:34 PM

Review by traceyb419:

I had almost a constant headache when I first had it in I gained 12 lbs in 2 weeks (thought it was water but it stayed). Not sure if I got depression or I just didn't feel right. Got it out yesterday..no more constant headache!

January 25, 2014 6:14 AM

Review by Emmcat76:

I have felt so wonderful since I had the Mirena inserted over a week ago - I feel like my old self! I have suffered for over a decade with huge fibroids, have been through two major open surgeries, multiple minor ones, have had horrendous periods, PMS through the roof, you name it - I've had it. This past week I have been energetic, happy, smiling and just plain normal!! I haven't felt like this for years and I can only assume my body is responding well to it. I hope my positive experience stays. I had it inserted under general anesthetic as my gyno did a hysteroscopy while she was in there.

January 21, 2014 9:17 AM

Review by Hazelk:

I have dysmenorrhea. I have had Mirena for almost 5 years, due to get a replacement at the end of this month. It has been great - no periods, increased libido. I did get some angry red pimples on my chin, which cleared up with antibiotic cream from my GP. Have gained weight, but this is undoubtedly due to my terrible diet and lack of exercise! My GYN said I could leave it another 6 months, but I have been feeling moodier/libido decreasing the last couple of months, due to the hormones waning. Mirena is the best thing I ever tried, I got it to try and stop my very painful periods, and it has worked!

January 3, 2014 7:23 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

If I could give the Mirena a 20, I would! I had it inserted in August 2013 for endometriosis and I have had one period since; and I use the phrase period loosely (I barely bled for around 36 hours. It barely warranted the use of pantyliners). My primary reason for getting it was to keep my endometriosis at bay; it is an estrogen dependent disease that thrives during your period, so my doctor killed two birds with one stone. My insertion was mildly uncomfortable during the part where they open your cervix, but my doctor also had me take 800mg of Ibuprofen an hour before my appointment. The whole insertion process took less than two minutes. I had absolutely no spotting, cramping for three days. Added bonus, sex drive is through the roof!

December 23, 2013 3:16 PM

Review by Tess73 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had a Mirena put in when I had my laproscopy for Endometriosis about five months ago. I had a month of heavy bleeding at first now its just a few days a month of light bleeding the rest of the time there is a light discharge whatever that is. It is annoying as I have to always wear a pantyliner. Good thing the Mirena has gotten rid of the heavy painful bleeding I had and my menstrual migraines (which used to last for 7-10 days every month). Yay! Only thing that really upsets me is the acne on my chin, though its more like rash type spots then full on acne it looks dreadful as my face has red splotches on it and its embarrassing. Still I would prefer to have that then the horrible pains and migraines that I used to.

November 16, 2013 1:54 AM

Review by KKS1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had the Mirena put in 9/4/13. It is 11/5/13 & I have not had 1 single day w/out bleeding!! This is so effective at birth control because you cant possibly have sex with all the bleeding it causes!! i am 38, of average weight and had it inserted for birth control, not to treat any other symptom. For me, getting it inserted was mildly uncomfortable, was over quickly. I was able to go running that same day...so I wasnt uncomfortable at all. I did take 800mg of ibuprofen before the appointment. The first 2 weeks I broke out with really nasty acne along my jawline. I think my hair has thinned. I have also experienced Migraine w/aura :-( My Mirena has until Jan., if this hasnt fixed itself, its coming out.

November 5, 2013 12:00 PM

Review by AnonymousOne2:

I had my Mirena inserted in 2009 and I have yet to experience any major issues. Yes, in the beginning I bled for 3 months with a day or two in between with no bleeding at all, and I had thoughts of getting it removed but never did. It has been very effective and I am glad I kept it in. I have very light cycles now where I might spot for about 3 or 4 days and that's it. I'm relieved that I don't have to worry about unplanned pregnancies and I do plan to get the new one installed next year prior to my current one expiring.

August 1, 2013 5:28 PM

Review by jess6587:

I'm almost 24 and have had Mirena for over 1 year now. I am SO glad I was not scared away by all the negative reviews. Sure, insertion hurt just a tiny bit, but it was about 5 seconds of a strong pinching feeling (due to an unusually sharp curve in my uterus) then a few hours of cramp pain, exactly the same as period cramps. If you can handle a monthly period you can EASILY handle Mirena's insertion! Since I've been using Mirena, my formerly wildly irregular periods have eventually diminished to a day or 2 of extremely light spotting (1 pantyliner is more than enough) every 2 - 3 months. I have not experienced weight gain, acne, or diminished libido, & my sex life is as good as ever!

July 13, 2013 5:05 PM

Review by ChocolateA (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 40. I had to change my birth control pills when I got 40. They weren't strong enough for me because I bled real heavy and for 7 days and every other week. So I decided to let my OB/GYN insert the Mirena which she had tried to get me to get before trying those lighter birth control pills. Its only been a week but I love not having to think about taking pill. Also I was on my period when it was inserted, my period became light the same day and was for three days. For me the placement was a 3 on a scale of 1-10 with pain. But my cervix is push far back & to the side and they had to pull it towards them to place it and that pain was a 7. So far no regrets only wish I had did it sooner.

July 1, 2013 7:31 PM

Review by Nickname (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have always had really heavy periods and when I was in high school I thought I was normal even though I was changing a super tampon every hour. Turns out high school girls exaggerate about their symptoms. I went onto the pill when I was 18 to deal with the bleeding and upset guts. It helped a little but I still got upset guts and would bleed for a full 7 days (still using those super tampons). I have had the Mirena for 1&1/2 months Granted I have only had one period since its been put in but it was a grand total of three days and I barely needed a panty liner for it. I had no upset guts. The only thing is if I have too much sugar (chocolate bar and a pop at the same time) I will get really bad gas pains. So I guess I just won't eat that much sugar anymore.

February 5, 2013 1:59 PM

Review by Can't Handle it:

I had the Mirena inserted 4 months ago. They say that the bleeding is abnormal in the first six months. But really bleeding for an entire 4 months with just a few days of no bleeding is ridiculous. I am so tired of wearing pads and having to worry about the bleeding. It puts a hamper on a lot of things. The bleeding isn't heavy but it is enough to have to wear a pad constantly. I hope when the 6 months mark hits this will clear up a little more. The pain not a problem. I had three kids and no problem with the pain. It is the bleeding the constant bleeding that gets on my last nerve. I will let it roll until the six month mark and hope for a change.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2013 5:14 PM

Review by Tara Renee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I thought I'd throw a positive review out there. I've read so many negative ones. I'm 19 years old. I've never had children, so getting it put in wasn't very pleasant, but not terrible. I got the Mirena because I was bleeding for almost a year straight, very heavily. The only negative side-effects I've had so far are bloating, cramps, and moodiness, but they went away after a week or so. I've had no weight gain whatsoever. I've actually lost a few pounds...Yay! My sex drive has actually gone nuts (in a good way), and my periods have stopped! That's the main thing I'm happy about. I was tired of bleeding all the time. I'd recommend the Mirena to anyone.

January 1, 2013 2:14 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Absolutely wonderful experience with my Mirenas - I'm now on number two! No periods, no mood swings, no lethargy, I just feel in great health. If you are wondering if the Mirena is for you, I recommend trying it. It seriously changed my life - I now *have* a life rather than being hostage to my hormones!

December 2, 2012 12:42 PM