User Reviews for Leuprolide

Also known as: Eligard, Lupron, Lupron Depot, Lupron Depot 11.25 mg, Lupron Depot 3.75 mg, Lupron Depot-Gyn, Lupron Depot-PED, Viadur

Learn more about Leuprolide.

Leuprolide review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 150 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Leuprolide to treat Endometriosis

Review by 1Sweet67 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): I was on Lupron for 6 months back in 09. The side effect weren't bad for me at first but I have to say the night sweats were the worst! I just hated waking up in the middle of the night, needing to shower because I was so sweaty. However, I was pain free! I had an AWESOME summer and went camping, mountain biking, traveling. My pain has slowly come back over the years and my (new) doctor just gave me my first shot of Lupron yesterday. I am hoping it works just as well as it did the first time. I want to be me again.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 29, 2014 12:27 AM
Review by 23 year sufferer! (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): I'm on day 48 of treatment and had my second shot on 11/04/2013. With the first shot I bled, 2 weeks prior and another 3 weeks after. After that I haven't bled since. I'm being treated for lifelong (23 years) Endometriosis. I have been disabled since 13 years old because of it. The only symptom I have had is SEVERE NON STOP hot flashes. I will have a hysterectomy in December.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 18, 2013 10:31 PM
Review by Mom with regrets! (taken for less than 1 month):

Lupron (leuprolide): My daughter(19) was given Lupron immediately after surgery to remove endometriosis.. The doctor came to us right as she was in recovery and said she was giving her Lupron to suppress the cause. No explanation of side effects...how I regret it. She had to leave college...and the pain, weight gain, lack of concentration, etc have been traumatic for us all. It takes YEARS to get this out of your system! I regret EVERY day that I let this happen to my daughter. I should have asked the questions, but I trusted the doctor.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 11, 2013 3:15 PM
Review by Mrs Murf (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Lupron (leuprolide): I was given the three month injection in July 2012, with no mention of the potential side effects. I have been off lupron for over one year and still have debilitating bone/joint and muscle pain. I have had significant hair loss, short term memory problems and depression. My physical disabilities mean I will probably have to give up work. It is disgraceful that this drug was given to me with no discussion around these life changing side effects. I'm worse now than before I started!!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 3, 2013 1:09 PM
Review by barberjr: User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): Feb this year I had an Ovarian cyst on my right overie rupture , it was the size of my 3yr olds head. When they operated they found I was covered with Endo... ah finally a reason for my pain for the last 2years... I have just finished my 6 month course. Endo pain fine but OMG the side affects, dealt with hourly hot flushes home and at work.. gained 10kgs (awesome) but the mood swings REOW!! my poor partner. Lucky he is amazing... No pain yet but have to wait and see whats next. Maybe Mirena.

October 30, 2013 8:54 PM
Review by Ali Berns: User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): I just got my first shot 10 days ago. Was bleeding 2 weeks before the shot and it has not stopped yet- pain has gotten a little more intense, and has interfered with my sleep. Skin is also more dry than usual. My fingers are crossed that this will work- have had very painful cylces since I was a kid, and I'm ready to not have call in sick to work and miss social activites due to pain. No hot flashes, mood swings, or any other side effects- maybe due to the progestin I'm on. Will probably post in another couple weeks.

October 24, 2013 11:40 AM
Review by FutureMomHopefully: User Rating:

Lupron (leuprolide): I was diagnosed with fibroids twice, ovarian cyst 8cm big, and endometriosis. I'm going to take my third dose in two weeks and I was prescribed this medicine for six months. Pros- after the first injection no periods! 5 months without a period was right up my ally being I had been bleeding so much for so long, I needed the break. Cons- If you eat salty food or heavy carbs you feel like you are going to throw up. Hot & cold flashes, sweats, stiff joints, joint pain, headaches, sleeplessness/severe insomnia, dry skin & dry eyes. I could go on, but I'm doing this to rid myself of ongoing bleeding, pain, and infertility. It's worth it to stick it out if it really works, I don't know if it does yet, but I know I'm not bleeding.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 17, 2013 10:44 PM
Review by amaya2 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): I started Lupron about a month ago. I started taking it after the doctor told me I had stage 1 endometriosis. About a year before I found out I had PCOS which caused me to gain a lot of weight, about 23lbs. Since I've been on Lupron I've been feeling so much better and I've LOST 7LBS!! The only thing I have been struggling with is the hot flashes. other than that I've been doing very well on the shot.

November 19, 2012 1:25 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): I am only on one week into the Lupron and my pain has begun to, not ease, but not be as sharp as it was at all times. I can finally breathe and think before the next stabbing pains begin. But about two days ago I got mood swings. I seem insane, I'm fine then, I'm screaming. I'm only 17 and this is NOT what I need along with the disease. I hope it gets better for I wont have any friends at the end of the six months.

October 20, 2012 1:10 AM
Review by Happypatient (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

leuprolide: I feel a lot better. I did add back plus Lupron depot. Minimal side effects. I feel like myself again because I am not waking up every night with pelvic pain. I am very thankful for a doctor who did laproscopy to remove endometriosis. This is the only medication proven to reduce endometriosis tags and postpone its return. Exercise also is easier because I'm sleeping better.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 14, 2012 9:42 PM
Review by EJoy (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): 6 years ago I experienced severe pain caused by ovarian cyst and endometriosis. I eventually had my cyst out but after few months severe pain triggered. I was dying of pain most of the time, until such time I cannot tolerate. August 2008 I was given Lupron Depot. First month was a nightmare for me, I thought I was dying because of extreme bleeding. After that one month my body slowly progress. For three months I had a 3.75mg and after that I was having 11.25mg. I am so relieved that it made me live a normal life. I am pain free and for side effects fortunately not too the extreme. My last shot was done March and supposed to have it last June but due to unavailability of my specialist I am waiting for my next step. So far I am doing fine.

July 27, 2012 2:02 PM
Review by kf7711 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Lupron (leuprolide): I was on Lupron twice for endometriosis. The first time I had hot flashes and headaches, after I got off they went away. The second time I had the same side effects, except when I got off of Lupron the headaches did not go away and turned into migraines. Now I have had migraines for 16 years since being off of Lupron. I was never plagued with headaches before Lupron. My doctor said I always had the trigger for migraines and Lupron flipped the switch on. If I knew then what I know now, I would have taken a different approach to treating my endometriosis. Having endometriosis and migraines together was worse. Now I'm in menopause and going through everything to the nth degree.

July 20, 2012 9:22 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): I received my first Lupron shot a couple weeks ago. In the past two weeks I have noticed that my pain isn't as bad or as often and it was before the shot. The down side is the mood swings and hot flashes. I thought I had a few weeks before I started experiencing the side effects, but I guess not. I know that the next six months are going to be rough, but the way I see it...I've been suffering for five years already, what is six months of hell to help make it all go away? In my opinion, the Lupron shot is worth it.

June 9, 2012 4:27 PM
Review by DanniKJ1 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): 2/9/12 I had a full hysterectomy (uterus and cervix removed) due to fibroids. My Dr found endometriosis everywhere. My Dr. put me on Lupron about a month after the surgery and I had my 2nd shot 4/20/12. I got hot flashes right after the first shot but they are really not that bad. Night sweats are more uncomfortable and my joints and muscles are achy and stiff. However, my mood is pretty terrible. I have no patience for anything and feel pretty grumpy most of the time. My pain is lessening but still present. That said, if I can be rid of most of the pain after the 6 months regimen, it will have been worth it!

April 27, 2012 12:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): Got first shot Jan 2012. Side effects night sweats, hot flashes, headache and muscle ache all bearable but hot flashes have interfered with sleep. Just got 2nd shot this wk 4-24-12. Have sore throat and headache, seem to be more agitated and irritable. Hot flashes are a bit worse and headaches are coming back . Overall if this is the jist of side effects all worth it to make sure cancer if spread does not come back. Had hysterectomy Nov 2011 and found cancer in uterus. Drs said it was contained to uterus but for safety precautions put me on Lupron.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 26, 2012 11:15 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): Had my first shot about a week ago. I have major pain in my joints (elbows and knees), hot flashes and night sweats. But honestly so far so good. I am no longer feeling the horrible endometriosis pain. Will update more once I'm further in. Plan as of now is to do 6 months of Lupron and see if my Fallopian tubes have less swelling and inflammation as my husband and I would love a baby of our own. Good luck to all. This is not easy. But I am hoping it will be worth it.

April 7, 2012 3:54 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): I got my first dose a month ago. The main side effects I am experiencing are hot flashes, much decreased appetite (not complaining there) and fatigue. I will take all those any day rather than deal with endometriosis pain. So I am definitely pleased with the Lupron treatment. Its nice to not be in so much pain. I would call off work and stay in bed and cry. So big difference!

April 3, 2012 4:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): It took care of my endometriosis but the side effects were terrible. Not so much the hot flashes but the mood swings/depression.

March 27, 2012 5:50 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lupron (leuprolide): I have been on the Lupron shot now 5 months. I have had no periods or period associated pain since the second month. There is some minor pain and irritation at the injection site for a day or two after the shot. I have had pretty intense hot flashes and night sweats, minor joint and muscle pain, but the worst for me has been the massive headaches. I am taking another medication now to help with those. I would still recommend the shot if your endometriosis is severe, the side effects still aren't as bad as the pain I was in before. Trying to hang in there for another 4 months.

February 18, 2012 11:36 PM
Review by usernametaken: User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): I was actually on Lupron Depot for 18 months. My periods stopped within a week and my pain was gone within the first month. I almost didn't go on it because of the horror stories I read online, but I'm glad I did. My skin broke out more than normal, but nothing a little makeup couldn't hide. The hot flashes were intense at first, but slowly started to subside. After six months they completely stopped. I also fully understand night sweats. The side effects were well worth it to me since I no longer have cramps that hurt so bad I pass out. I am also enjoying being period free after never having a regular cycle and being anemic the better part of my life.

February 1, 2012 2:40 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): I was actually surprised to learn I had stage 4 endometriosis along with 2 endometrioma's and a dermoid cyst. I had always had a poochy gut and severe menstrual cramps since I was 16. I am 27 now and have been pain free for the last 5 months on Lupron Depot. I had a laproscopic cystectomy and a laparotomy this year. I did suffer side effects of hot flashes and mood swings but was prescribed 1mg estrogen daily and I'm pretty much normal! In about 6 weeks I will begin trying to conceive my first child! The Lupron and my Doctor have been a blessing!

December 21, 2011 2:34 AM
Review by Almostpain free: User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): I have been receiving Lupron shots since August 2011. December will be shot number five. Within the first two weeks after receiving my first shot, I noticed a huge difference in pain. How awesome! I had been dealing with this pain since 2008. I had exploratory surgery and tried Chinese medicine along with acupuncture and found no relief. Lupron has been the first thing to help me be almost completely pain free. Will post again after 6th injection. I had one huge mood swing after my 1st shot and very little hot flashes. I am not craving chocolate as much but have found myself craving milk (I have always been a milk drinker).

November 13, 2011 9:18 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lupron (leuprolide): I started the Lupron at the beginning of the summer, April 2011 to be exact. The only side effect I can say I had trouble with was the hot flashes but nothing unbearable and usually over pretty quick. The first 3-4 weeks after an injection, I would have issues with vaginal dryness but again, nothing unbearable. I had no mood swings or crazy headaches but I have been constantly plagued with headaches since I was a child so I wouldn't know if this had any effect on those. Overall, it has been a totally bearable experience and the hot flashes were nothing compared to the pain I had before the Lupron. I would suggest it if your endometriosis is bad enough.

October 3, 2011 3:16 PM
Review by Channing: User Rating:

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): I LOVE LUPRON. I have stage 4 endometriosis and Lupron has been AWESOME. I have only had one side effect hot flashes, which I do not mind at all, they only come twice a day and last for up to 2 minutes. Hopefully me and my husband can have intercourse without pain. I'm 23 years old.

September 6, 2011 4:27 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lupron (leuprolide): This is my fourth month into the Lupron cycle. I have endometriosis. Have no period, NO PAIN. I do get some hot flashes and a little weight gain but that is the least of my problems on the shot. It is the joint pain. It is the worst in the morning when I get out of bed. My hands, legs and feet are the worst. It is not so bad throughout the day. But when I sit for sometime then get up again the pain starts all over.

August 16, 2011 11:44 PM