User Reviews for Leuprolide

Also known as: Eligard, Lupron, Lupron Depot, Lupron Depot 11.25 mg, Lupron Depot 3.75 mg, Lupron Depot-Gyn, Lupron Depot-PED, Viadur

Learn more about Leuprolide.

Leuprolide Review Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Endometriosis.

Reviews for Leuprolide to treat Endometriosis

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "lupron is not for everyone! I must admit I was horrified to try it, but it came a point I would rather die so had nothing to lose. In 2011 and 2012 both 9 months each. Then after treatment was birth control ( levora) high dose. Now 2015 just started having severe pain uncontrolled by anything else so started Lipton injection yesterday. This med made me forget I had the disease. I'm not saying there could be long term issues or anything else. But right now in this moment I'm not sick and every time before it was a god send. Hopeful this time will be as smooth as last couple times. Good luck."

Endo strong August 26, 2015

Lupron (leuprolide): "I've recieved my first round in June 2015. Almost immediately I started experiencing side effects. Headaches, weight gain, hot flashes,constant sweating,mood swings,made my depression worse, now swollen legs and ankles also severe joint pain. This is becoming unbearable and I'm rethinking doing the next cycle. It's help with my endometriosis, which I'm happy about but these side effects are a...."

Mauya (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2015

Lupron Depot 3.75 mg (leuprolide): "I began a 6 month course of lupron with add back therapy in January 2015. I was terrified from everything I've read online. I had none of the horrible side effects, some hot Vosges here and there, but nothing unmanageable. I am a 41 year old female with endometriosis. I was pain free for the entire six months and felt good. Everyone is different, but with so many negative comments about thus therapy flooding the Internet, I thought it might be helpful to add my 2 cents."

DeeDee425 August 14, 2015

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "A costly and largely ineffective drug. Beware discount cards that refuse to honor their promises for low co-pay and further discounts. After having one 3 month shot priced at $2,500 and feeling little to no relief from a reoccurrence of Endometriosis I ended up getting a full hysterectomy anyway."

SherBear69 July 27, 2015

Lupron (leuprolide): "I've been on lupron twice in 6years. The first time was 2008 & I didn't experience any symptoms. I was extremely happy about that. Like most of you reading all the side effects had me a little on edge. The second time my doctor suggested that I get on it (Dec2014) I agreed with no problem.. Hoping that will be the same experience as the first time.... Ohhhhhh but it wasn't, I had hot flashes, night sweats & weight gaining. I couldn't wait until those 6months were over.. Unlike the first time 3 months off lupron my cycle started & 2weeks later two cyst 7.5cm... I was devastated & in so much pain & b4 you knew it I was having surgery.. I'm 2days fresh out the hospital on lupron again... I pray this time I have a different outcome."

Miss Nana July 12, 2015

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "Worst mistake of my life!! I had one 3 month shot when I was 17 and I'm still regretting it (I'm 21 now). I was pretty much paralyzed while on it. I couldn't move on my own. I needed help to even sit up in bed. I missed so much school/work and cried almost all day every day. I was in so much more pain. I was constantly sick (vomiting, nausea, painful bowel movements, headaches, joint pains) and the menopause symptoms were absolutely crazy. I still to this day have stomach issues I didn't have before. I have bone density loss as well. I will never recommend this drug to any woman. It is not meant for us."

Rayvan June 25, 2015

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I took the shot for 6 months, I had issues that I could tolerate. Such as vision change, the injection would shot pain a crossed my lower back. Well it's been 8 months since I had a shot took me 2 months before my period returned. I recently started experiencing pain in my belly button, vision was getting worse, mood swings, the end of April period was bad then 2 weeks later had another one. I was ready to have everthing removed, I had gave up hope of having a baby... So out of the blue I missed my period and now I'm 5 weeks PREGNANT! !!!!!!! I wish everyone good Luck and hang in there!!!!"

mommy to be (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2015

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I am very happy I went on Lupron Depot. I am on my 6th month of it and although the symptoms of hot flashes, night sweats, moodiness, and some weight gain are not fun, it still is VERY worth it. I have been pain free (when I was in debilitating pain before) and no period which is nice. Hopefully I'll be able to get pregnant soon too!"

crazyme7877 June 10, 2015

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I started lupron 2 weeks ago for endometriosis. So far I've had 0 side effects. And no pain! I'm just starting so we'll see if I change my mind"

Rosie11 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2015

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Endometriosis and had a major surgery. I was only able to take four of the six shots. The side effects are TERRIBLE. I had almost all of them. I took my last shot in March 2015. It has been one month and I am now experiencing panic and anxiety attacks along with high blood pressure. I am only 37 and gained weight now weighing 155 and have a blood pressure of 142/103. I have never had high blood pressure until the third month of the shot. I have hot flashes, night sweats, chest pains that sent me to the ER, vaginal discharge, painful intercourse, vomiting of the day I got the shot. It has been an awful experience. I am praying that when it gets all out of my system, I will not see any of these side effects anymor"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2015

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I am 37 and for the most part been very healthy...never pregnant and married for three years. I have had ovarian cyst, but have been controllable. Nov.9, 2014 I went to the ER and the next day I was having a mass and 6" of my colon removed due to Endometriosis. I had stage 4. My OBGYN suggested this shot. I read all the reviews and was VERY learey of starting it, but I just took my second shot. It has not been so bad. I have experienced hot flashes and weight gain. I have about 4-6 hot flashes a night, but no sweats yet. I am hungry ALL the time and it seems the more I eat, the more I want. I cant seem to get full. I have gained 10 pounds in about 6 weeks.My mood has been good though. I have had to start Osphena due to side effects."

Not As Bad As I Thought (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2015

Lupron (leuprolide): "So far not any significant changes. Still feel terrible, back pain, legs ache, upset stomach. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2014

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I was diagnosed with Stage 4 endometriosis and was prescribed Lupron. After reading all of the horrible reviews and side effects I was terrified to try this. After chatting with my doctor we both agreed that this would be the most aggressive treatment as my husband and I would like to get pregnant one day. I am on month 3 of the shot and I have to say that I am pleased. The worst thing are the hot flashes. For me they are at least 10 times a day! But I will take that over the excessive cramping and pain any day. I feel minor cramps occasionally during the time I would normally have my period. I have experienced no depression, weight gain, weight loss, bleeding, joint pain etc. I am hoping after the treatments I will be able to conceive."

LJonesL December 15, 2014

Lupron (leuprolide): "I received my first shot June 18 and thought I made biggest mistake of my life after reading several blogs. After a couple of weeks to my surprise, I felt good. I did have hot flashes, vaginal dryness and joint pain, but went away eventually. Had my second shot Sept 18, currently having hot flashes and joint pain"

Jennifl October 6, 2014

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "Stage 4 endometriosis. I've been on Lupron for 3 months and will get another injection next week. I've had a few hot flashes, about 1x/day occasionally, but not everyday. I have stayed below my original weight by about 5lb. Some moodiness/occasional depression. But overall I haven't had any major problems! I was very worried about side effects before starting Lupron, but am glad I did it. I want to be healthy! I'm getting married next weekend also so have been planning a wedding at the same time. We're hoping to get pregnant next year!"

Endo Stage 4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2014

Lupron (leuprolide): "Third shot of Lupron and suffering a lot. Joint pain and depression. But doctor does not agree it has side effects."

Annie5 September 10, 2014

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I was on Lupron for 6 months back in 09. The side effect weren't bad for me at first but I have to say the night sweats were the worst! I just hated waking up in the middle of the night, needing to shower because I was so sweaty. However, I was pain free! I had an AWESOME summer and went camping, mountain biking, traveling. My pain has slowly come back over the years and my (new) doctor just gave me my first shot of Lupron yesterday. I am hoping it works just as well as it did the first time. I want to be me again."

1Sweet67 (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2014

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I'm on day 48 of treatment and had my second shot on 11/04/2013. With the first shot I bled, 2 weeks prior and another 3 weeks after. After that I haven't bled since. I'm being treated for lifelong (23 years) Endometriosis. I have been disabled since 13 years old because of it. The only symptom I have had is SEVERE NON STOP hot flashes. I will have a hysterectomy in December."

23 year sufferer! (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2013

Lupron (leuprolide): "My daughter(19) was given Lupron immediately after surgery to remove endometriosis.. The doctor came to us right as she was in recovery and said she was giving her Lupron to suppress the cause. No explanation of side effects...how I regret it. She had to leave college...and the pain, weight gain, lack of concentration, etc have been traumatic for us all. It takes YEARS to get this out of your system! I regret EVERY day that I let this happen to my daughter. I should have asked the questions, but I trusted the doctor."

Mom with regrets! (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2013

Lupron (leuprolide): "I was given the three month injection in July 2012, with no mention of the potential side effects. I have been off lupron for over one year and still have debilitating bone/joint and muscle pain. I have had significant hair loss, short term memory problems and depression. My physical disabilities mean I will probably have to give up work. It is disgraceful that this drug was given to me with no discussion around these life changing side effects. I'm worse now than before I started!!"

Mrs Murf (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2013

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "Feb this year I had an Ovarian cyst on my right overie rupture , it was the size of my 3yr olds head. When they operated they found I was covered with Endo... ah finally a reason for my pain for the last 2years... I have just finished my 6 month course. Endo pain fine but OMG the side affects, dealt with hourly hot flushes home and at work.. gained 10kgs (awesome) but the mood swings REOW!! my poor partner. Lucky he is amazing... No pain yet but have to wait and see whats next. Maybe Mirena."

barberjr October 30, 2013

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I just got my first shot 10 days ago. Was bleeding 2 weeks before the shot and it has not stopped yet- pain has gotten a little more intense, and has interfered with my sleep. Skin is also more dry than usual. My fingers are crossed that this will work- have had very painful cylces since I was a kid, and I'm ready to not have call in sick to work and miss social activites due to pain. No hot flashes, mood swings, or any other side effects- maybe due to the progestin I'm on. Will probably post in another couple weeks."

Ali Berns October 24, 2013

Lupron (leuprolide): "I was diagnosed with fibroids twice, ovarian cyst 8cm big, and endometriosis. I'm going to take my third dose in two weeks and I was prescribed this medicine for six months. Pros- after the first injection no periods! 5 months without a period was right up my ally being I had been bleeding so much for so long, I needed the break. Cons- If you eat salty food or heavy carbs you feel like you are going to throw up. Hot & cold flashes, sweats, stiff joints, joint pain, headaches, sleeplessness/severe insomnia, dry skin & dry eyes. I could go on, but I'm doing this to rid myself of ongoing bleeding, pain, and infertility. It's worth it to stick it out if it really works, I don't know if it does yet, but I know I'm not bleeding."

FutureMomHopefully April 17, 2013

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I started Lupron about a month ago. I started taking it after the doctor told me I had stage 1 endometriosis. About a year before I found out I had PCOS which caused me to gain a lot of weight, about 23lbs. Since I've been on Lupron I've been feeling so much better and I've LOST 7LBS!! The only thing I have been struggling with is the hot flashes. other than that I've been doing very well on the shot."

amaya2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2012

Lupron Depot (leuprolide): "I am only on one week into the Lupron and my pain has begun to, not ease, but not be as sharp as it was at all times. I can finally breathe and think before the next stabbing pains begin. But about two days ago I got mood swings. I seem insane, I'm fine then, I'm screaming. I'm only 17 and this is NOT what I need along with the disease. I hope it gets better for I wont have any friends at the end of the six months."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2012