User Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Acne 96 reviews 507 medications

Premenstrual Syndrome 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 561 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Review by mollygirl1410:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I am almost finished my first pack of Yaz, at first my acne seemed to be going away but now it's just getting worse. My cheeks are all red and splotchy, I have huge cystic breakouts on my chin. I have tried everything to make my acne go away, it's gotten to the point where I feel so depressed and it's all I think about. I'm hoping after a couple more weeks it will start to improve a bit because right now it is terrible!

October 18, 2014 3:32 PM

Review by Candy1092:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Made me vomit up to three times a day on random days .. Up to the third month. Gave me horrible nightmares every night not one missed starting last month. Love working out don't have energy to do it anymore. Sleep way too much 13 hours or more a day with naps. Depression before I went to sleep sometime I would cry my eyeballs out. Did not gain weight on it and I have the most amazing skin you can think of and period for only two days. Let's weight this out here, NO Can't do it. Switching to mini pills!

October 10, 2014 10:53 PM

Review by Joanna1986 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I was taking Yaz for almost 7 years and I loved it! My weight never changed, my skin was beautiful, normal sex drive, no cramps, 3-4 days periods. In 2013 I saw some weird spots on my face, after the consultation with a doc it turned out to be Melasma (nothing dangerous but it doesn't look good) . One of the most common causes is oral birth control. It wasn't the Yaz, just birth control with higher amount of progestin. I switched to Mirena and that was the worst decision ever! Acne, mood changes, gained 20 pounds in 3 weeks. I'm going back on the pill this month and we will see how it goes, I will post about it in about 6 months.

October 10, 2014 4:02 PM

Review by Alyssesa:

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Took Yasmin for 6 months now and had some nausea in the beginning but I think my body is getting used to the pill. Overall, my mood has gotten better, I used to experience mood swings. I'm switching to Microgynon 30 and see how it works for me now.

October 9, 2014 1:29 AM

Review by Elizabeth Black:

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I took this pill for 3 years. I felt fine on it but my triglycerides went from 120 the year prior to taking it to 226 the following year. The year after that it was 230 and then last year it was 240. I tried to research reasons for triglycerides increasing and found that it could be birth control. I got tested this year after being off the pill for 18 months and my triglycerides were 88. I have to say that I believe it was Gianvi. I'd keep an eye on this.

September 26, 2014 12:21 PM

Review by JMCO:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I love Yaz. I suffer from adult acne and Yaz always heals it within 3 months of taking it. I love that my periods come at the same day every month and only last about 4 days. The other thing I love about it is it seems to level out my moods. I'm not so up and down like I would be without it. As far as its effectiveness for birth control, I have never gotten pregnant while on the pill which makes me and my husband very happy.

September 22, 2014 11:13 AM

Review by CanadianGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Upon requesting a Yaz prescription from my doctor, I was initially concerned as I was very nauseous and threw-up a few times in the morning during the first week. Nonetheless, I remained on Yaz and I am certainly glad that I did. I do not suffer from any acne with the exception of the couple days preceding my period (minor and unpreventable chin acne due to hormones/menstruation). It%u2019s highly effective in preventing pregnancy and I have not noticed any weight gain. In fact, I felt thinner when I first began taking it. I do not experience any physical pain or health issues (I recently turned 21, I do not smoke, and I am very slim and active). Overall, Yaz is great.

September 19, 2014 1:54 PM

Review by KTcooper (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I have just started my third month with Yaz. I started back on the pill because I started breaking out two years ago when I stopped it. I have started to break out more than usual in my second month with larger pimples but from what I read on here that is normal. It has helped my cycle not be as painful also but I'm hoping it will work for the reason I got back on to clear my face. Keeping my fingers crossed.

September 18, 2014 9:09 PM

Review by K.M.:

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been taking Yasmin for 9 months and I can say that it had protected me effectively against pregnancy. I have read about some negative effects that have been linked to this pill. However, I decided to take it because my mother took it for years without experiencing any side effects. During my first cycle taking the pill, I experienced mild nausea and upset stomach occasionally. However, the symptoms were gone by the time I started my second pack. I have not noticed any changes in my weight or in my mood. I have frequent muscle cramps in my legs, but I am not sure that this is being caused by the pill.

September 17, 2014 7:12 PM

Review by Awful acne (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: On my third pack and have seen no improvement. Everyone says 3 months is the magic number but so far I've just gotten worse. I went on Yaz to help my moderate/severe acne and it made it completely severe and now I only break out in giant cysts that are very painful.

September 17, 2014 4:34 PM

Review by em000 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: This was the first birth control pill I went on because I was having heavy periods and cramps but also because I started having sex. Never really had too many problems, still had pretty heavy days for the first 2 out of 6 but at least they would come like clockwork. I did get super emotional for about 3 days a month where almost anything would make me cry and where I would get the occasional extreme cramp. Overall it worked pretty well for me, never got pregnant even though had a ton of sex near the end (usually also had condoms) and managed to rarely miss a pill.

September 16, 2014 5:33 PM

Review by Lolalou (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Mood improved dramatically, PMT gone! Completely, and this was becoming a problem as I'm 40 it seemed to be getting worse. I've lost a few pounds and find it easier to keep my weight down, it must be the diuretic and no fluid retention. Bigger breasts, bit tender but better with time, I've been on it nearly 3 months now. Libido maybe even better, as I feel happier. This is by far the best pill I've been on and I didn't take the pill for years because of the effects of weight gain, and libido. I've tried Mirena twice, awful, mini pill, mini pill injection cap and coil. Finally found one that suits, now my GP won't prescribe it! I will try family planning.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2014 2:55 AM

Review by Elementalmage (taken for less than 1 month):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: My first month on Yaz, and I must say I've noticed two changes. On the plus side, period is much lighter and I'm not suffering from the debilitating exhaustion I had for years during each period. However, I'm getting panicky and got palpitations.

September 14, 2014 3:37 PM

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: From the experience of taking Yaz for about two years. Advantages: no pain at PMS, less bleeding, scheduled period, for sale in most of the countries. disadvantages: cause me with gaining weight (about 3kg) for near two years, although there might be other reasons

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2014 10:38 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I started taking Yaz because of my acne breakout and that's unusual because I'm already way past my teenage years. About a week after taking it, I've noticed that my breakouts has stopped. Though I still get 1 or 2 tiny reddish spots every week or so (Stress from being a Programmer), they heal after a day or two without applying any medication on it. Before the pills, I always get nasty breakouts and even a single pimple takes weeks to heal because it's always recurring. Today, my skin is on it's way to clearing up and I don't retouch my makeup often anymore because the oiliness has been diminished. I've also noticed that my breasts got heavier and are bigger than usual. But that's fine with me for as long as the pills won't make me fat.

September 8, 2014 11:33 PM

Review by Kristallau (taken for less than 1 month):

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: This may be premature I've only been on it for a week, but I have been super moody. Irritable, cried 3x in past week and have developed a lot of pimples on my forehead and nose. I usually never break out only when on my period and not as much as this. I also am highly anxious...I'm an anxious person to begin with but with the pill for this week I've been near panic attack a lot and that hasn't happened in a decade. I'm Hoping my body gets used to the pill and these awful side effects will go away. Will update after the month

September 8, 2014 2:16 AM

Review by phoebe17x:

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I had really bad acne. I'd cry about it for hours. I would wear a lot of makeup to hide the fact my skin was awful. I'm a very sensitive person so when people nastily commented on my make-up, it hurt. I would think it isn't my fault,it's my skin! I went to the doctors after receiving many acne medications (which had lots of side effects but no results). I was offered Yasmin before but I thought I was too young but it was my last resort before going to having Roaccutane. I was 13. I'm still on the Yasmin. I used to have irregular periods and mood swings. They've stopped and my skin is clear and beautiful now. I stopped wearing the slap and became more confident. I would recommend it!

September 4, 2014 3:53 PM

Review by Lenabenas21:

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: This is the ONLY birth control pill that has ever worked well with my system. No weight gain, no hair loss, no mood swings, in fact, my periods used to be so irregular that's I'd have terrible PMS and now I'm only cranky pants for a day or so. It helped clear my skin, regulate my cycle, helped me maintain my weight, and I just love it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 22, 2014 8:02 PM

Review by kt840 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been taking Ocella for 6 months. First birth control I've ever been on and I haven't had any major problems. I used to have terrible cramps during my period with a very heavy flow and now it's wicked light and virtually no cramps! Didn't have any moody side effects and no weight gain.

August 13, 2014 10:01 PM

Review by catri (taken for less than 1 month):

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: After having the implant I switched to Yasmin to try and treat my mild acne (generally around chin area ) and it really hasn't helped. I've only taken it for 5 days and my skin is even worse my whole forehead is breaking out, my skin feels greasy. I'm very moody and tired, and feel physically sick if I'm hungry (much like pregnancy symptoms!).

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2014 4:24 PM

Review by TPMBrasil (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I was depressed. I had maybe one good week each month... . Then I started taking Yaz because a friend told me it helped her, but she also said I had to be patient. I think it took three months and then I noticed I was so much better! I took Prozac and didn't notice any changes, but Yaz saved my life. I'm not PMS free but I have more good days than bad ones. I read some of the comments and I recognized side effects experienced by another friend. It just didn't work for her. It actually made her worse (I think Yasmin worked for her, though). I wish they keep researching and, as time goes by, we have even better options. It's not easy being a woman. And I hope Yaz works for you.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2014 8:27 PM

Review by Emily V (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: I started this medicine mainly to regulate my period and help with cramps (it was initially very helpful with the cramps but got less effective over several years). It also helped clear up my skin. I had pretty positive results with Gianvi all around. Unfortunately I was switched to Vestura, which seems the same but it is really hard to swallow the pills. Their edges are sharper than Gianvi.

August 7, 2014 10:40 AM

Review by Emotional rollercoaster (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Made me very emotional and anxious, I felt like I was going crazy. It also made my periods irregular and gave me awful cramps. Only took for 4 months and it caused me to have 3 very painful ovarian cysts. Was not the right birth control for me!

August 6, 2014 9:12 PM

Review by Xyrnyth:

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I'm 17 years old. This is the end of my first month taking Ocella (to regulate my periods). I've been having occasional random cramps throughout this month, which was manageable, but now that I'm in the middle of the sugar pill week, my pain is terrible. These are the worst cramps of my life. But the positive is my breasts got a little bigger, I lost a little weight, and less acne. I also have less cravings. But the pain is more than I can stand. I'm considering going to the hospital. I can't stand without getting pale and lightheaded, and I've already vomited twice. (This is day 1 of my period.)

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2014 2:30 PM

Review by Megsters (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I went on this medication when I was 19 and I am 24 now. When I was 19 I was diagnosed with stage 3 endometriosis. I now take continuous birth control pills (never going off the active ones). My insurance covers me to get 2 packets a month. Being on only active pills, I usually have spotting once or twice a year due to missing a pill or taking it more than 12 hours late. Side effects: Big breasts and weight gain. I used to be a size B, now I'm a D/DD awesome! I have put on 20 pounds over the years but that could be caused by my diet/age.

July 28, 2014 1:45 PM