User Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Acne 103 reviews 507 medications

Premenstrual Syndrome 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 579 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Review by Kath484:

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Does what its intended to do!

January 22, 2015 2:04 PM

Review by PMS = Pretty Mad Sister (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Yaz has been a complete lifesaver. I used to suffer with heavy bleeding and cramps that had me bedridden. I've been on Yaz since 16 and I don't regret it at all. I have absolutely no side effects and there is no complications with my health either. If you're a first timer - Yaz is the way to go.

January 2, 2015 4:49 PM

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I suffered from pretty bad acne. Everyday I would wake up with lots of whiteheads even some blackheads too, my acne was also very red, over my nose, chin, cheek and forehead area. I took Yaz for three months and it does wonders to your skin, I no longer suffer with waking up with lots of whiteheads or blackheads and I have seen a change in my skin. I will continue to take Yaz to keep improving my skin!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2014 5:49 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: This was great with acne.....but had spotting every month for 8 months. Finally trying something else. I'm in my 40's and needed something for my acne.

December 12, 2014 1:38 PM

Review by Bearbelle:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I've taken Yaz for 3 months now and it has cleared up 90% of my acne. All I have left are some tiny clogged pores which are clearing. I have adult acne and tried every OTC, prescription, and expensive creams, microdermabrasion etc and nothing worked. Previously intolerant to the pill, but on Yaz I'm calm, happy, no problems. Be warned, the first 6 weeks your face will look horrendous, worse than ever, but it gets so much better.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2014 3:06 PM

Review by Pbandj (taken for 10 years or more):

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: Prescribed Ocella for POCS (polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) which can cause severe cystic acne that I had. Have been on it for 10 years. It was a miracle, acne is gone. To prevent the mood swings and acne flare ups during the inert week each month, I had my OBGYN write prescription for 3 months straight. Now only have period & mood swings 4 times/yr instead of 12. Other pills caused anxiety attacks, I have felt most normal on this pill. The downside is I have no libido, but I am 40 so I guess I should expect some decrease at my age anyway.

December 4, 2014 10:47 PM

Review by Chebear (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I've been taking Yaz for three months for adult acne that was unresponsive to just about every skincare/formulation/medication/creams/makeup on the market. I had tried everything but the pill (Yaz) for several years due to becoming depressed/irritable on other contraceptive pills previously. This is the only thing that has worked! I'm so happy. The first 6 weeks made my skin much much worse but now, I'm clear for the first time in years. My breasts are fuller also which is a bonus.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2014 5:22 AM

Review by Giaa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Zarah has been okay. I first started on the pill about 5 months ago and it helped a little with my cramps that were horrible before I started the pill. However, I noticed some weight gain and realized that I have horrible mood swings. My period isn't much lighter than before, and my period doesn't come until a few days after I start taking the sugar pills. It definitely decreased my sex drive a lot and I started getting a lot of discharge every day.

December 1, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by FinallyHappy (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: When I first started taking birth control I was only 13, I started it because I used to have two week long heavy & horrific periods every two weeks! I first started out on Yasmin, but later was switched to Ocella for insurance reasons. I'm now almost 19, have been on birth control for 5+ years, and I NEVER want to go back. It helps keep my skin clearer & softer (I only break out about a week before my period now) and my periods are much better now! I used to have issues with my period ending when I started a new pack, but eventually my body got used to it & now my periods are light with little/no cramps and only last around 3 days! I seriously could not be happier

November 30, 2014 8:49 PM

Review by happy customer:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I love Yaz! I was first put on it 2 years ago to help get rid of my acne and within the first 3 months my skin started clearing and have been acne free since. It did make me put on a little bit of weight but zero mood swings and no change to my sex drive. My periods have become a lot lighter and last shorter days (usually 3-4 days) I highly recommend this pill but the only downside is you do have to take it everyday

November 27, 2014 9:57 AM

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I am now on my 5th month of Yaz and I have zero acne, best decision I've ever made. I first started noticing a difference after the 2sd week, the acne I had started healing and I stopped breaking out (I use get at least one or two new pimples a week, and get a bunch around my period) after the first month I stopped getting acne all together and I only had some scars. By the second month my scar finally faded and now in my fifth month my skin is completely clear. Everyone is different but I would definitely recommend trying this!

November 26, 2014 3:20 AM

Review by Blah08888 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been on Ocella for about two months now (and I was on it for about two years a while ago), but this time around I'm suffering from terrible nausea. No mood changes, lost some weight, no pimples, etc...but the nausea is ridiculous. I've been taking it now around 11 at night, so that I can try to sleep through it, but sometimes it will wake me up at 3 or 4, and I'll be so sick. Hoping that I adjust to this soon, because otherwise I really enjoy using it!

November 20, 2014 7:20 AM

Review by Joanne Halstead (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: During the first year, severe migraines, it felt like my head was going to explode, mood swings, loss of sex drive.

November 18, 2014 7:16 PM

Review by Starxoxo:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been on yaz for 8 months, the first 5 months were great, but now im having my period for 3 weeks per month. It goes away the first week of my pills and comes back 2nd week... time to switch. I had zero breakouts and i lost 10 pounds that was great though

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 13, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by bacongirl100 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I started Gianvi about a year ago and for the first three months my breast were so tender, they hurt really badly. That said, my skin cleared up and I had no weight gain. I did have some nausea but that cleared up too. Everything was fine until 4 months later when cellulite popped up everywhere. I'm 5'6 and weigh 120 pounds with no family history cellulite and it was even on my ribs where there is no fat. I did not gain weight either. I talked to my doctor and switched to Yaz. Cellulite gone. Be warned!

November 5, 2014 1:00 AM

Review by BC Review (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: WEIRD - was on Yaz (brand name) for over a year and had absolutely no issues. Switched to the generic version and was given Loryna. Quickly I started to get TONS of freckles all over my body (very odd side effect). In addition my legs started swelling. It is different than Yaz!

October 22, 2014 12:00 AM

Review by mollygirl1410:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I am almost finished my first pack of Yaz, at first my acne seemed to be going away but now it's just getting worse. My cheeks are all red and splotchy, I have huge cystic breakouts on my chin. I have tried everything to make my acne go away, it's gotten to the point where I feel so depressed and it's all I think about. I'm hoping after a couple more weeks it will start to improve a bit because right now it is terrible!

October 18, 2014 3:32 PM

Review by Candy1092:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Made me vomit up to three times a day on random days .. Up to the third month. Gave me horrible nightmares every night not one missed starting last month. Love working out don't have energy to do it anymore. Sleep way too much 13 hours or more a day with naps. Depression before I went to sleep sometime I would cry my eyeballs out. Did not gain weight on it and I have the most amazing skin you can think of and period for only two days. Let's weight this out here, NO Can't do it. Switching to mini pills!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2014 10:53 PM

Review by Joanna1986 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I was taking Yaz for almost 7 years and I loved it! My weight never changed, my skin was beautiful, normal sex drive, no cramps, 3-4 days periods. In 2013 I saw some weird spots on my face, after the consultation with a doc it turned out to be Melasma (nothing dangerous but it doesn't look good) . One of the most common causes is oral birth control. It wasn't the Yaz, just birth control with higher amount of progestin. I switched to Mirena and that was the worst decision ever! Acne, mood changes, gained 20 pounds in 3 weeks. I'm going back on the pill this month and we will see how it goes, I will post about it in about 6 months.

October 10, 2014 4:02 PM

Review by Alyssesa:

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Took Yasmin for 6 months now and had some nausea in the beginning but I think my body is getting used to the pill. Overall, my mood has gotten better, I used to experience mood swings. I'm switching to Microgynon 30 and see how it works for me now.

October 9, 2014 1:29 AM

Review by Anne F.:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been on Yaz since I was 23 and I'm 28 now. In the first month or so I had mild side effects-felt a bit dizzy and had some breakthrough bleeding, but they subsided after a month or two. I have PMDD, and Yaz has been a Godsend in regulating my moods-instead of being out of control for 3 weeks, I only have PMDD for little less than a week. It's definitely helped me and I'd be a hot mess without it!

October 6, 2014 5:56 PM

Review by Umbri:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I've been on YAZ for over 3 years now. It's the only birth control I've been on and it's been amazing. I suffer from severe PMDD and I was placed on it. So far my PMDD is not fully gone but it has helped my life tremendously. My period used to be 8 days long and extremely heavy. Now it's around 5 days and very light. I used to get severe cramping and now I rarely cramp. I also had mild acne and it's virtually gone now except for the few I get right before my period. For physical issues from my period is has been really successful but for the emotional issues it has helped mildly. I still get the panic, anger and depression up to a week before my period but it has calmed down. Also no pregnancy scares at all or weight gain.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 2:00 PM

Review by Elizabeth Black:

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I took this pill for 3 years. I felt fine on it but my triglycerides went from 120 the year prior to taking it to 226 the following year. The year after that it was 230 and then last year it was 240. I tried to research reasons for triglycerides increasing and found that it could be birth control. I got tested this year after being off the pill for 18 months and my triglycerides were 88. I have to say that I believe it was Gianvi. I'd keep an eye on this.

September 26, 2014 12:21 PM

Review by JMCO:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I love Yaz. I suffer from adult acne and Yaz always heals it within 3 months of taking it. I love that my periods come at the same day every month and only last about 4 days. The other thing I love about it is it seems to level out my moods. I'm not so up and down like I would be without it. As far as its effectiveness for birth control, I have never gotten pregnant while on the pill which makes me and my husband very happy.

September 22, 2014 11:13 AM

Review by CanadianGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Upon requesting a Yaz prescription from my doctor, I was initially concerned as I was very nauseous and threw-up a few times in the morning during the first week. Nonetheless, I remained on Yaz and I am certainly glad that I did. I do not suffer from any acne with the exception of the couple days preceding my period (minor and unpreventable chin acne due to hormones/menstruation). It%u2019s highly effective in preventing pregnancy and I have not noticed any weight gain. In fact, I felt thinner when I first began taking it. I do not experience any physical pain or health issues (I recently turned 21, I do not smoke, and I am very slim and active). Overall, Yaz is great.

September 19, 2014 1:54 PM