User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Acne 167 reviews 518 medications

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome 10 reviews 97 medications

6.2
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 764 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "Love this pill. Went on it and cleared my skin, but I didn't know that Yasmin was clearing it I thought it was just the fact I was no longer a teenager. Stopped taking this pill to get an implant to avoid periods. Well, it was hell, acne came back full blown and periods were relentless. Went back to the doctor today and got Yasmin again! So excited for clear skin again!"

Yusdeep5729 February 8, 2016

For Birth Control: "I felt compelled to share my thoughts because Vestura has been the only oral contraceptive that I've liked, and here are just a few of the others I have taken (in which I've experienced unpleasant side effects that caused me to discontinue use): Gianvi, Zarah, Yaz, Reclipsen Other pills I have taken have resulted in side effects including: acne, reduced libido, mood swings, and breakthrough bleeding. I typically skip the inactive pills (thus eliminating any monthly bleeding), and Vestura has been the only pill in which I have not experienced breakthrough bleeding or spotting. I have not had a single instance of spotting since starting Vestura about a year ago."

Anon1929481 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 7, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I recently was switched to Gianvi, after trying at least four other birth controls to try an control my acne. I do not have severe acne but everything I was trying did not work. The dermatologist prescribed creams, oral medications etc. and I was still having breakouts. I've been on this birth control for almost a month and ever since I started taking it, I haven't had one breakout. My face has been as clear as ever. Different things work for different people but I would recommend this birth control to anyone struggling with acne."

Hal12335 February 5, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "If i could give this any less than 1 star i would. I usually take yaz for birth control reasons and because I have pretty bad acne. My Dr prescribed me yaz, yet after trying the other generic Lornya and telling them I don't want any more generics I got stuck with this. Figured I'd try it anyway and let me tell you the last time my skin was this bad I had an allergic reaction to a face wash and was one big puss pimple. On top of that, I ended up getting multiple little cysts in my ovaries because they were trying to form eggs, causing a lot of pain and a high doctor bill trying to figure out the problem with tests and my periods are usually early and I'm in pain. Needless to say I gave up, & next week I start the real yaz again and I can't wait"

yllek llennoccm February 2, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Worse birth control ever! I had breast tenderness, vaginal dryness, 0 to none sex drive, mood swings, and weight gain. I was on this pill for 1 year before I thought it was ruining my relationship with my husband because I had no libido what so ever and vaginal dryness. I experienced dry skin as well. My periods were long 7-8 days /regular. I am now on a new pill lo lolestrin fe I think it's called and noticed a significant improvement. No breast swelling, no long periods, happier moods, not as angry or tired and have regained my libido ..I think even more than before I started taking birth control. It's amazing! . Just in case someone has the same side affects as me on zarah"

ani7821689 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 1, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been using Yaz for 1 year and still can't get regular periods. In fact sometimes I have my period for 2 weeks. It is horrendous and after reading these reviews will be changing. It is crazy expensive too!"

vickieffingwilson246 February 1, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Yaz made me nauseated daily and my mood went from being a happy bright personality to a moody tired personality. Changed back to previous pill and feel a million bucks again."

Alleycat775 January 30, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on this birth control for 8 years now. I take it for acne, birth control, menstrual disorder premenstrual dysphoric disorder. I love this birth control they tried to put me on something else and I said no! I love this BC and I want to stay on it. Regulated my periods, took away migraines, took away me throwing up whenever my period came, and I never gained weight from it. I recommend this BC to anyone."

Sarah237!!!! January 28, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on a number of pills in the past (aged 28, started 18) - I have been diagnosed with endometriosis so my reasoning for remaining on some sort of hormonal BC was vital to reduce the symptoms. I was placed on Yasmin after experiencing major mood swings/depression on Yaz. Yasmin seemed to reduce these mood swings considerably. Since Yasmin my periods, although regular, have been light and cramping has been reduced/completely absent. Amazing! (5 years on it now). I have been getting migraines for the last 2 years so might have to change my BC again. One's body changes with age, I guess our meds need to too."

InterestedBystander (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 28, 2016

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "My experience on Loryna has not been a good one. I originally had been on Yaz and Beyaz and had no issues at all! I thought they were miracle pills! I'm in my late thirties and wanted a birth control to help with my moods, breakouts, and period. Unfortunately, Loryna did the opposite for me. After five months of taking it I have decided to stop. I had bleeding for 2 months straight, acne breakouts on my chest, back, and face. And a ton of pain! As if my uterus was contracting constantly. I finished my last pack/pill and have stopped. Within 2 days of stopping, the bleeding stopped, the pain is gone and my skin is clearing up. I'm not sure why this happened but I'm finding generic birth controls are different from the brand. It's frustrating!"

Jp325 January 23, 2016

For Birth Control: "This birth control is TERRIBLE. I do not recommend this birth control to anyone. I've had horrible cramps, no sex drive, and when I do have sex I am so dry to where it hurts to even have sex. I am also extremely irritable and tired almost all the time. I have also broken out the worst I have in a very long time, as well as gained five pounds. I am going back on my original birth control Ocella, which I was very happy with."

rchhdla (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I've been on Yaz for about 4 months now. I tried the generic Gianvi but it was seriously like taking rage pills, so now I'm using the brand name even though insurance doesn't cover it. I started taking Yaz to help with my skin because I was breaking out really bad. I noticed a significant difference in my skin within the first month and now my skin is completely clear with the exception of the occasional bump or two around my period. I get the typical mood swings around my period but nothing too crazy. I have noticed I feel a little more anxious since I've started taking it but it isn't extreme. My boobs are much more full now, which I like, but I have gained a little weight (about 3-5 pounds) which has proven hard to get rid of it."

SlpKB January 20, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This is the absolute worst birth control you could possibly take. I was on Ocella for one month before I had to switch pharmacies due to my new insurance and Ocella was fine. Once I started on Zarah, I had constant anxiety/palpitations. It got so bad to the point that I was seeing my doctor and thinking that I had a heart problem (had an echo done, normal). This birth control literally made me feel like I was going crazy and that I had all kinds of health problems. It made my left hand tingle, and I was also constantly exhausted to the point where I was almost sleeping 20 hours a day. OH and my blood pressure sky rocketed. Went off this birth control and got the Skyla IUD. I didn't get pregnant on this BC which is literally THE only good thing"

NOOO (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on Yaz for just a few weeks but I love it. I've gone up a cup size and am happy about that. My acne is GONE - none at all and I used to break out badly on my back. My period is way lighter and cramps are much better than they used to be. The only reason I put 9 instead of 10 is because it makes me very moody/irritable sometimes."

Cj561 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started BC because I had severe headaches, nausea, and dizziness when on my periods. I never had heavy bleeding or clotting... but I would get so dizzy I would be close to fainting if I was on my feet too much. The doctors simply said it could be my hormones changing and prescribed me ocella. I haven't noticed any weight gain or anything. It regulated my pain and dizziness during my periods. However, after 4 months I've been very nauseous and have had severe headaches and stomach pain. I could be coming down with something so I couldn't say it's 100% from the pill. Overall it's worked great for me and definitely aleviated my pain during menstration."

Nikki1814 January 15, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Starting in elementary school, my acne was horrible. At age 13, it morphed into a rare form of cystic acne. Came back a couple years after the first bout was defeated. Currently just 18, and have been on Ocella since mid August. Since being put on Ocella, my acne has decreased immensely, and stayed as regular types of breakouts rather than the cystic variety. Haven't experienced any major side effects, although I am more prone to getting emotional over the sweet, mushy gushy stuff. At first, my sex drive was higher (even though I've never actually acted on it), but that has calmed down now. My periods are a bit lighter, and are slightly more predictable down to the start and end days. I would definitely recommend this birth control."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "Hello I'm 21 years of age I've had combination moderate acne since I was 13 years old, every cosmetic face wash or doctor prescriptions like antibiotics all never worked but in fact made it worse. I then got told about Yaz so I decided to give it a shot, 2 months in now and my face is more clearer than its ever been in my life! but just have a couple pimples left on my neck which should disappear... I haven't even been eating healthy either have had lots of chocolate and maccas the last few weeks which is a bonus lol but I would still recommend to drink lots of water and excercise at least 30mins every second day at the very least. I've also stopped using face washes and moisturisers all together. Hope this helps "

AnnalieseAnderson January 11, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've tried going on Yasmin twice before after being on different pills (I changed because of weight-gain), but never lasted more than 3 days on it because of the intense mood swings on it. This is the third time trying it and I'm just going on a week and I've never felt worse in my life. I get major mood swings, feel like I'm always on the verge of crying, getting easily irritated, getting jealous/paranoid and have a strange feeling of 'self-awareness'. I'm not happy and will be changing back to the previous pill as soon as possible. Seems to have worked well with others but for me, it's been a nightmare."

Unknown1801 January 10, 2016

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "So I started bc yesterday... no joke I'm hormonal as heck! Even typing this makes me want to cry. I mean I'm a small woman 21, 4"11 and I kind of expected to be like this. My doctor said it tricks my brain into thinking its preagnant so that certain part of my body stop working. Like in this case the inflammation that causes my deadly cramps. Now I'm new to this whole birth control but I think its normal to feel sad and gain weight and all that because of what women go through during pregnancy so though it makes me feel super tired its kind of a good thing cause get this, I'm an insomniac haha. These mood swings are laughable - when I catch myself crying because I didn't share my sandwhich with my two dogs. Long story short I'm hoping this works"

ImAMidget (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "Age 15 before pill, now 21. Pill was originally called Gianvi. Before starting, periods were painful and heavy. I was unable to wear tampons, and had to change pads almost every hour. I had moderate acne, the type that never "turned white". Large cyst-like zits on my forehead. Back was broken out. This pill completely cleared my skin, and made periods manageable. Instead of bleeding for an entire week, I would bleed for a few days, and not as heavily. I got my period at the same time every month. Unfortunately, I did loose 2 cup sizes. I began a relationship with my boyfriend shortly after starting the pill and have never gotten pregnant. Recently stopped the pill to try the patch, because I am forgetful. Big mistake."

Marisammm (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 6, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been using Gianvi for the last 4 years. Other pills used to make me spot inbetween periods. This pill changed everything! My period is so regular now comes every month on the expected day always within 3 hours of each other. Way less cramping, no side effects, and it only lasts around 4 days. Make sure you get Gianvi and not a generic version as they effected me differently. Awesome BC!"

Rosedale January 6, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: " Yaz ruined my face"

Anonymous January 5, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've personally had a great experience on Gianvi so far. I'm on my third month and I've actually been able to lose weight for the first time in so long! I do work out too, but I did before and was at a stand still. I am a bit scared though cause I may switch to Yaz, as for some reason it's way cheaper on my insurance over this generic. Really though, it's been great!"

ginaginagina January 5, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "When I was 13 I had horrible acne and a little over weight. After I took Yasmin for a complete month my acne was just about completely gone and after a couple more months I even lost a few pounds!! I did experience anxiety, but from reading some reviews about Yasmin if you take a multivitamin your symptoms will go away including your sex drive problem caused by the pill. I haven't taken Yasmin for about a few weeks so that I could give my body a rest but I want my Yasmin back!"

Anonymous January 5, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Caused major depression. Was on many strong medications for years before reading how Yaz could be the problem. Went off Yaz and depression disappeared. No more strong medication. No sex drive while on pill. Very dry during sex. Also had a terrible scarring breakout after coming off of it. Only gave it two stars because I did not get pregnant so it "did its jobs.""

Liz AR (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016