Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Acne 115 reviews 512 medications

Premenstrual Syndrome 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 604 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Review by hmgirl:

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I have never left a review for any kind of drug or medication before but felt that I needed to for Yasmin in case there were other people in my situation. I am 21 and have had quite mild acne since I was about fifteen, however, around four months ago (after two years using implanon as contraception) I experienced a terrible breakout. I used every topical I could think of and was borderline suicidal over the state of my skin before my doctor mentioned the implanon can often contribute to bad hormonal acne. I got it taken out that same day and started on Yasmin, and within less than two months I have no active acne whatsoever and am focusing on healing my scarring. This pill has been a godsend for me.

April 23, 2015 7:21 AM

Review by Alleezee:

For Birth Control: I was on yaz as a teenager and got off of it around age 22. I'm 27 now and decided to get back on the pill because I have hormonal adult acne and I HATE IT! I tried other pills and it made it worse! I got on loryna-in on my 2nd month and my acne is clear for a couple weeks then I'll break out (around my periods) I'm hoping the 3rd month will show even better improvements but all and all I'm happy with this pill. It bettered my mood as well.

April 22, 2015 8:41 PM

Review by Kittiesty:

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I was on yasmin for about 3 years, it completely cleared up my skin. However I was concerned about the blood clotting issue so I changed to first dianne and then to zooley. Both were terrible, I broke out in places I never had before. I'm back on yasmin now, I can't wait till I have beautiful skin again !

April 22, 2015 5:49 PM

Review by Julie from NC:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: Yaz was my best friend. I began the pill when I was 15 for irregular periods but I didn't expect it to clear my skin the way it did. It cleared my face, back, and chest. I mean I finally got compliments on my skin. I got pregnant a month after I stopped taking it and my skin was worse than ever. The only reason I'm giving it a 9 is because it didn't work for me after giving birth. It gave me migraines and the acne didn't clear up. However, I'm almost positive it was due to me not taking it religiously like I did in high school.

April 21, 2015 1:13 PM

Review by Hannahscoffield:

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I reccently started the Yasmin pill and at first I honestly didn't think I would be able to carry on with it because it was making me feel so nauseous! I also got really bad headaches which caused me to be really moody. However, my doctor told me to give it a few weeks to settle and for my system to get used to it. I was not happy about this let me say! I wanted to scream at her to feel how ill I felt. It got better though on the fifth day I woke up and I felt fine all of a sudden, all of the side effects I was feeling had just gone. I had terrible skin and it has make my skin so much better and I feel fine now. If you're taking it and you're feeling ill like I did - I know it feels like crap but honestly just hold on cause it will go.

April 19, 2015 2:37 PM

Review by Btm8:

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: Yasmin changed my life! For the past year or so I started breaking out due to hormones (it only happened the week before my period) & getting HORRIBLE PMS. About 2-3 days before my period, I would get very irritable and grouchy, to the point where it affected my work and social life. I went to my doctor with these problems & she recommended Yasmin. The first 6wks or so, it was horrible. I broke out even more, gained about 10-15lbs, & that led to a slight depression. But people told me that is just what happens when your hormones adjust to new birth control? I'm really glad I stuck through because my acne is now completely gone and my PMS levels have decreased by at least 75%, feeling SO much better!

April 17, 2015 1:25 PM

Review by Riley21 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for : I hate this birth control. I was originally taking Gianvi which I absolutely loved because I didn't gain ANY weight. My acne cleared up and I stayed slim. For some reason my pharmacy switched me to Nikki and in 2 months I went from 121 to 143. I am 5'4 and I lift weights 5 days a week. I use to be defined/toned and now I'm so bloated all the time I look fluffy and bulky. I do NOT like this birth control and my skin does not like it either!! :(

April 13, 2015 7:28 PM

Review by starshanelle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: My dermatologist recommended Yaz for my acne. However I also have horrible menstrual cycles and let me tell you, you cannot go wrong with Yaz. I hardly felt any pain. My acne was basically gone also. Now all I have is some dark spots here and there

April 12, 2015 3:54 PM

Review by 12345789:

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I've started using Yasmin because of my mild acne. I'm on my third pack now and so far I can't say that my face is clear. One day it gets better but than the next day it gets worse again. It may be that I just have to wait for a little bit longer .

April 10, 2015 5:28 AM

Review by Lnt (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been on Gianvi for 3 months. I feel like a crazy person. My emotions are through the roof and I get random spurts of horrible anger and irritation. The first two months I didn't notice much, it all came at once. My breasts are almost unbearably sore, and it has done nothing for my horrible heavy period and painful cramps. I feel like I'm PMSing constantly. It's just not working for me. Hopefully others have had a better experience than I. I can't wait to switch to something new.

April 8, 2015 2:11 AM

Review by Diva8603:

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I have been on Yasmin from 2010 till now. It helped clear my acne, though I used other prescribed medication as well. It helped clear my acne to an extent, still get fine pimples. My left foot started swelling 6 years ago, now the right foot started, to an extent I can't walk. Been to the doc and he advised to change my contraceptive pill. This is the second case. Medicine affects you in the long run.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2015 10:05 AM

Review by Jillian Barnes:

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: I never got pregnant on this stuff so it works well for that. I started taking this for my debilitating cramps and heavy periods and it really didn't do much. Plus, I gained 15 lbs after starting this and had absolutely ZERO sex drive. I didn't even want my fiancé to touch me. I found myself being completely moody. It helped with acne except when I was about to start my period, I broke out like crazy. Now that I am off my sex drive is back to normal and my periods haven't really changed.

March 11, 2015 9:49 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have taken Gianvi for about four years now, started it for birth control reason, it cleared my face within months, I didn't feel any anxiety or anything that has to do with my mood, my sex drive has been the same with or without. Once I was taken out of Gianvi, and tried Vestura, Vestura affected me badly! I had terrible mood swings, felt terrible for those days taking it, afterwards I went back to Gianvi and things got back to normal.

March 2, 2015 10:34 PM

Review by Anonymous55521 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Been on Yasmin for 5 years. Always had brain fog. Gained 50lbs. Lost hair. Stressed. Appetite went way up. Recently decided to go off the pill. After period I instantly felt better. Sex drive is coming back. Just feel good. Hope it keeps up but I'm not going back.

February 27, 2015 11:56 PM

Review by Rawvjq (taken for 10 years or more):

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been on this pill for the past ten years and I love it. I've never had a menstrual cramp in my life, I never feel PMS symptoms (bloating, cravings, moodiness, etc). It has been helpful with acne. One downside is my sex drive has diminished but it's hard to tell if the pill is the culprit as I've been on it ten years. No weight gain from this either!

February 16, 2015 3:42 PM

Review by Josiejoe:

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been taking Yaz for 4 months now, I'm 16 years old. Few complaints, at the beginning this pill caused me horrible nausea and breast pain but that could be due to changing to Yasmin from Microgynon 30. Also I experienced spells of depressive moods which have now cleared up but I often experience mood swings! On a positive note my skin has cleared up massively and have maintained if not lost weight, great pill.

February 16, 2015 7:45 AM

Review by ITieenie:

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been using Zarah for a year now. It works just as great as Yasmin. It didn't cause any weight gain, or mood changes. Those are the only things I'm scared of apart from the adverse effect of DVT. I had nausea only during the first 4 months of taking it. It reduced my headaches and dysmenorrhea, but I'm not sure if the former is just psychosomatic. I've never been pregnant on the course of taking it so it's an effective bcp!!! Another bonus is "glowing" skin. My skin was already in perfect condition, but Zarah (& Yasmin-which I took before it) made it "ethereal" as what people would say to me... and this is no joke. I'm giving the credit to Zarah (and Yasmin). Apparently, I'm switching back to Yasmin because of insurance coverage changes.

February 13, 2015 3:29 PM

Review by Stackahhh (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I started on Brenda and it made my mild acne worse. I switched to Yasmin and it cleared it right up, however, 5 months on and my face has started feeling greasy and I'm developing small pimples. I don't know if it's just this hot dry weather. Ps: I stopped doing a 4 step cleansing and treating routine as I thought I had no need. So perhaps it's a combination of those two factors.

February 13, 2015 6:28 AM

Review by SarahT0908 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I am on Gianvi primarily for horomonal acne. Was on Yaz for 3 years for this but since this is free, I switched. It works WONDERS for my hormonal chin acne! There is some light spotting at first and breast tenderness before my period but that's it.

February 2, 2015 4:06 PM

Review by screengirl7691 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I started Yaz about 3 months ago and like many of you, I have zero faith in it's ability to help my acne. I've had cystic acne for about 3 years and although it was never awful, I always had at least one or two unsightly blemishes. It took about 3 months to really work, and the first 3 weren't awful but they weren't great. If you have acne and are looking for relief, TRY YAZ! It's honestly amazing. Seriously. I've never posted anything before, I truly believe in this stuff.

January 22, 2015 2:40 PM

Review by Kath484:

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Does what its intended to do!

January 22, 2015 2:04 PM

Review by Californiagirl15:

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I have been on Ocella for about 2 months now. I originally was on Zarrah and had the BEST skin - my light acne cleared up within the first 2 weeks & remained absolutely flawless for almost 2 years. I ended up having a 2 week period - nightmare, I know. I went to my Gyno who had then switched me to Ocella. I explained to her that I loved the way Zarrah effected my skin & didn't want to breakout on a new form of Birth Control. I'm almost finished with month 2 and have been breaking out with white heads all over my forehead, along with a few painful zits around my face. I use Clarisonic every morning/night and eat healthy/workout. My moods are great and I lost a few pounds, but I may not continue Ocella for this reason...remaining optimistic!!

January 15, 2015 8:03 PM

Review by EmmaKnutsen:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: Love this! I was a little discouraged at first because the magic number of 3 months didn't work for me. However when I hit 4 months all of my back acne was gone and my face had totally cleared up. I've never seen anything like it. I still get the odd zit and for individuals who react well with Yaz I find that acne can be caused by eating dairy products. I don't doubt if I cut milk and cheese out of my diet, as well as continued on the pill I would have 0 acne at all.

January 12, 2015 1:56 AM

Review by andelicar:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I wish this was around back when I was in high school! I have struggled with acne for my whole teen/adult life. I have taken Yaz on and off for 8 years now, and my skin never looks better than when I'm on Yaz. The doc took me off last year because I was getting headaches and she was concerned the estrogen in the Pill was causing it, but after a year on the mini pill with the same frequency of headaches and the added terribleness of deep cystic acne, I am happily back on Yaz and already seeing an improvement in my skin. Only complaint (mainly from my husband) is a slightly lowered sex drive.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 9, 2015 1:18 PM

Review by Calichick:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I'm 18 years old and I started taking Yaz when I was 14 for the use of treating acne. It did not do much for my acne so I began taking Accutane. I stayed on Yaz because you need to be on 2 forms of birth control when taking Accutane. My acne went away, and then I got a boyfriend so I stayed on Yaz. I've been using Yaz for over 4 years in all of my teen years and let me just say, this stuff is amazing for preventing pregnancy. The pills are a miracle. I didn't really gain weight on this product, I developed breasts rapidly! I've never taken any other types of birth control, but I give YAZ five stars. Good luck!

January 7, 2015 4:11 AM