User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Acne 176 reviews 519 medications

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome 10 reviews 97 medications

6.2
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 821 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Hey! I started taking Yaz over a year ago for birth control and partially for mild acne, I do think it helped my acne and it was an extremely reliable birth control but I fell into a serious state of depression that led to a hospitalization. I think it's great for skin and birth control, but definitely ask your doctor about depression!"

KD101 May 25, 2016

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Used this to help combat PMDD. Instead of having PMDD for two weeks out of the month, which for me results in a sense of complete hopelessness, I had four weeks of rage and crying fits. It was pretty relentless for the four weeks I used it until I stopped. Now I feel much better."

Rueball May 21, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been having these pills for two month now as a treatment for my PCOS. I am 18 and since I started having this pill my skin went bad and I have had ance all over my face. I have completely lost my sex drive and I don't feel anything during sex. My mood has been funny and I have been sleepy and tired. I wouldn't recommend this pill it totally destroyed my sex life and my face."

habouya May 20, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "The pill worked wonders for me, after being diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17. I was overweight, pimply, and struggled with chronic depression. I was originally prescribed Yaz but then began taking the generic, Gianvi, because of insurance reasons. I personally couldn't tell any difference between the two. This pill cleared up my acne, improved my depression, gave me light, short bleeds every month on the clock (as opposed to heavy periods every 4-6 months lasting 10 days to two weeks!) and it helped me lose a lot of weight over the course of a year. Unfortunately, I haven't been taking it the past couple years, and it's been rough. I greatly look forward to going back on it soon."

Sandy_beach May 19, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I had a myelogram done on my neck 24 hrs. later i had a major Stroke Dr. said Yaz caused the Stroke is that possible?????"

Marty may (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Im always in a constant state of anxiety and depression, im nervous all the time and generally feel like someone has just died. Been feeling this way consistently for 10 years, I take atleast one panic attack everyday. Ive been on meds, gone to counselling and nothings worked.Ive only been taking Yaz for a few days but within an hour of taking it on the first day I went from feeling anxious to totally calm, is this what it's like to feel normal?. Ive been anxiety and depression free for 3 days now.so im thinking the cause of this anxiety was a hormonal or chemical imbalance that yaz has regulated? I didnt initially take yaz for this reason. Happy accident. Ive also no period cramps.Ill update if anything changes as its early days."

Talullah May 13, 2016

Nikki (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "My pharmacy ran out of Ocella so ordered Nikki and I hate it. I've had my period from nearly two months straight. I forgot to take it one day and the next day I immediately took two pills. By the next day I started spotting and have my period ever since. With the exception of the one day I missed I've been taking it as instructed every day at the same time and still I have yet to stop my period."

hll28306 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I started taking Gianvi when my pharmacy switched to it from the yaz knockoff I had been taking. My periods were out of control. Some would be two weeks, I had more periods days than non bleeding days over the course of two months which made me EXAUSTED. I gained about 30 pounds as well during the course of that time, despite walking an average 13,000 steps a day. And no. That was not muscle. I can no longer fit into most of my professional clothes, and have actually ripped and over stretched a number of items."

Brucethegirl May 12, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I do belive everybody experiences different symptoms. It's my third box of Yasmin and I'm probably gona give it one or two more shots but I'm thinking of quiting it. First box of my pills was a 21 day long nightmare. I had breakthrough bleeding whole month I wasn't even sure when my period started, I had huge intestinal problems. Went for two abdominal ultrasounds because of constant bloating, overly active guts and diarea/constipation (it switched every 2 or 3 days). My breasts, dear Lord, I never felt so tender in my entire life. Luckly, as the next box came, bleeding stopped so did tendernes. I still do feel bloated and gassy but it's lot better. Gonna give it one more shot but I just don't feel it's suiting me."

Anonymus21 May 11, 2016

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I've been on Yaz, BeYaz, and Gianvi, all of which did wonders for my skin. Recently I was given Loryna by my pharmacy. Not thinking anything of it, I started my pack as usual. Not only did this pill immediately give me daily cystic breakouts along my jaw/cheeks/chin, but it also introduced me to the nightmare that is back acne. Having never suffered from breakouts on my back, this caused a whole new form of embarrassment, and just in time for summer! I suffered through the pack then asked to go back to Gianvi. 2 weeks later my skin and back are clearing up beautifully. I've read multiple reviews of people having the same problem; if you notice your acne getting worse on Loryna, don't wait it out--switch back to Gianvi or name brand Yaz!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I used ocella years ago and it was great at first. My cramps weren't as painful or etc but then I started getting severe stomach pain and guess what? I found out I had gallstones due to Ocella and had to have my gallbladder removed when I was 20 and I'm 25 now. So if any ladies experience stomach pain on the right side you might have gallstones due to this pill"

Raez May 7, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Worst pill ever. This pill has caused me to be extremely moody. My boobs have gone from a 34B to a 36C and I'm tired all the time. I get headaches alot. Would not recommend getting on this pill to anyone"

janelafy May 6, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I began taking Yasmin when it first came out i.e. around 1999 or so for irregular periods. My PCP recommended birth control, and after researching them all I chose Yasmin as it touted the fact that the Progestin (drospirenone) contained a diuretic. After a few months I started having anxiety, insomnia, and eventually horrible depression. On the upside, because the drospirenone is an anti-androgenic progestin, my hair grew incredibly long and thick and stupid vanity kept me on it. On balance, I would not suggest this pill as a form of birth control for anyone. I eventually gained 15 lbs after a couple of years of use, and was an emotional wreck which impacted my career. My hormones never really returned to normal after stopping it either."

My Experience May 5, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I have very, very heavy periods and PCOS (high testosterone, high androgens, etc). I started out on Loestrin 1/20 and lost about 20 pounds in one month. Yay! After a while, it became less effective and my heavier periods were coming back after about a year. Come in Loryna (generic Yaz) and I'm back in heaven again. It's been around a year, and it's less effective. :( The heavy periods, dizziness, etc are coming back. I'm not sure what else to try... I'm not sure why they work at first then increasingly become less effective. Either way, I love the pill. I'm single and the almost non-existent libido is a plus! I can focus on important things than sex always on my mind. I highly recommend it. Yeah, it also causes dryness there."

B_Tanya May 2, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm not even all the way through my first pack and I have a love hate relationship with Ocella. My docs gave me this medication to prevent future cysts; I had a 9cm and two 4cm cysts (existent since birth). I have spotting EVERY DAY! I can't tell when my period started "

Aleykins May 2, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for : "I am 18 years old. When I was put on this medication I was 17. I started on this pill in August 2015. In November of 2015 I was taken to the hospital with BLOOD CLOTS in 3 major veins of my left arm. I do not have a clotting disorder. I have never had health problems. I went through a major bypass where they removed a section of my vein to replace part of the vein around my collarbone that could not eventually fix itself. I had many balloons done through my arm to try to remove the clots. Currently, I am therapeutic. I take a blood thinner twice a day and an aspirin once daily. This has been my daily routine for five and a half months."

britt16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This is the first birth control I've been on, I mostly used it for acne at first. For the first 1 month it was fine then after that I started getting nauseous a few hours after taking the pill. Then the 3rd month I would get really nauseous that I would almost throw up and this was happening a few days a week and I missed to much school, so I finally stopped taking it. But besides being super nausea all the time I had moodswings, did nothing for my acne, bad cramps, and anxiety. The only good thing is was that it regulated my period."

Britneyyy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This pill is my first one and it's okay BUT My acne is not gone already (after 3 months). I have cystic acne in the chin, around the mouth. Maybe I have to wait more... Also, it gave me vaginal dryness -_- (the lube don't help) so I have to buy products (like Vagisil Prohydrate, Replens) to help this condition."

Suzie0967 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I'm actually on Laila 35 which is the generic version and it has taken some time for my skin to get where it is but I had horrible cystic acne on my jawline and then just general acne on my face, chest and back. The pill has absolutely cleared my skin to the point where I can go out and not feel like I need makeup. Maybe once I have my scars treated, I might not even need makeup for school. I get heaps of compliments on how much better my skin is and looks, let alone how GOOD I feel. Unless you have acne you wouldn't understand that its not just something on you face that goes away when you use a cleanser, it's a mental thing. Take this and don't expect instant results."

ruby135 April 30, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Acne totally gone... its amazing"

Ascfglo9934 April 23, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I just finished my second month of Gianvi and it will be my last. CONS: Constant bleeding, gained weight, horrible headaches, and mood swings that make me feel crazy. PRO: No pregnancy, on-time period, went from a B to a C cup, no change in skin."

4545 April 19, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "well so far my menstruation while using yaz pills is really regular. everything while on yaz was perfect! I am hoping after I am done with my 3rd box I will try and get pregnant!"

lotski (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for : "I started taking Yasmin to clear my skin. I had history of migraine with aura but haven't had it for the last 6 months. Second month taking Yasmin I had 3 migraine attacks in one week and ended up in ER. I stop taking the pills immediately"

Sunnyday0728 April 13, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on this birth control since I was 16 years old (I'm now 27). I have never had any problems with it. When I first started taking it my boobs grew by 2 cup sizes in a short period of time but that could have been coincidence. I very rarely have acne and I haven't experience any mood swings or loss in libido. I do ocassionally have breakthrough bleeding, but that's to be expected with any kind of hormonal birth control."

Kaitmag April 12, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "As far as birth control... never got pregnant. That is the only plus. Horrible cramps, heavy bleeding, soaking thru tampons in an hour or less, passing of large clots, headaches. Looking forward to switching off to a different BCP"

jparker19 April 8, 2016