User Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Acne 90 reviews 506 medications

Premenstrual Syndrome 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 544 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Review by Lenabenas21:

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: This is the ONLY birth control pill that has ever worked well with my system. No weight gain, no hair loss, no mood swings, in fact, my periods used to be so irregular that's I'd have terrible PMS and now I'm only cranky pants for a day or so. It helped clear my skin, regulate my cycle, helped me maintain my weight, and I just love it.

August 22, 2014 8:02 PM

Review by kt840 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been taking Ocella for 6 months. First birth control I've ever been on and I haven't had any major problems. I used to have terrible cramps during my period with a very heavy flow and now it's wicked light and virtually no cramps! Didn't have any moody side effects and no weight gain.

August 13, 2014 10:01 PM

Review by catri (taken for less than 1 month):

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: After having the implant I switched to Yasmin to try and treat my mild acne (generally around chin area ) and it really hasn't helped. I've only taken it for 5 days and my skin is even worse my whole forehead is breaking out, my skin feels greasy. I'm very moody and tired, and feel physically sick if I'm hungry (much like pregnancy symptoms!).

August 12, 2014 4:24 PM

Review by TPMBrasil (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I was depressed. I had maybe one good week each month... . Then I started taking Yaz because a friend told me it helped her, but she also said I had to be patient. I think it took three months and then I noticed I was so much better! I took Prozac and didn't notice any changes, but Yaz saved my life. I'm not PMS free but I have more good days than bad ones. I read some of the comments and I recognized side effects experienced by another friend. It just didn't work for her. It actually made her worse (I think Yasmin worked for her, though). I wish they keep researching and, as time goes by, we have even better options. It's not easy being a woman. And I hope Yaz works for you.

August 11, 2014 8:27 PM

Review by Emily V (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: I started this medicine mainly to regulate my period and help with cramps (it was initially very helpful with the cramps but got less effective over several years). It also helped clear up my skin. I had pretty positive results with Gianvi all around. Unfortunately I was switched to Vestura, which seems the same but it is really hard to swallow the pills. Their edges are sharper than Gianvi.

August 7, 2014 10:40 AM

Review by Emotional rollercoaster (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Made me very emotional and anxious, I felt like I was going crazy. It also made my periods irregular and gave me awful cramps. Only took for 4 months and it caused me to have 3 very painful ovarian cysts. Was not the right birth control for me!

August 6, 2014 9:12 PM

Review by Xyrnyth:

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I'm 17 years old. This is the end of my first month taking Ocella (to regulate my periods). I've been having occasional random cramps throughout this month, which was manageable, but now that I'm in the middle of the sugar pill week, my pain is terrible. These are the worst cramps of my life. But the positive is my breasts got a little bigger, I lost a little weight, and less acne. I also have less cravings. But the pain is more than I can stand. I'm considering going to the hospital. I can't stand without getting pale and lightheaded, and I've already vomited twice. (This is day 1 of my period.)

July 28, 2014 2:30 PM

Review by Megsters (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I went on this medication when I was 19 and I am 24 now. When I was 19 I was diagnosed with stage 3 endometriosis. I now take continuous birth control pills (never going off the active ones). My insurance covers me to get 2 packets a month. Being on only active pills, I usually have spotting once or twice a year due to missing a pill or taking it more than 12 hours late. Side effects: Big breasts and weight gain. I used to be a size B, now I'm a D/DD awesome! I have put on 20 pounds over the years but that could be caused by my diet/age.

July 28, 2014 1:45 PM

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been on this birth control for about three months. Although my periods are shorter, I have had really bad side effects. It has made me very moody, I have had really bad headaches, and I have experienced major hair loss. It freaked me out and I switched back to my prior birth control.

July 22, 2014 1:32 AM

Review by Ana B.:

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I first started with a low hormone pill called Azurette. I was having heavy periods that lasted for a week and terrible acne, so I decided to try Yaz and my doctor prescribed me Gianvi, first month my face was completely clear and my period used to last 3 days max but my anxiety and mood changes got worse and my sex drive went from 10 to zero because I was very dry, also noticed my skin got really dry too and I looked like a 60 year old lady!

July 22, 2014 12:03 AM

Review by Frosh71 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I used Yasmin for birth control reasons as it was the lowest one available to me at the time that didn't cause breakthrough bleeding. It was great for birth control and my skin is very clear after taking it. The main difference I noticed from other pills is that I would always get my period one day early (on the Sun instead of the Mon). I also had terrible mood swings and angry outburts. My poor kids copped the brunt of my moods! I have been off Yasmin for two weeks now and am back to my calm and happy self, and my sex drive has returned. I am 42.

July 21, 2014 10:12 PM

Review by SDizzle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I mainly got on Yaz for acne and I've been taking it for four months and have only seen a slight difference. I still break out really bad on my period and it just seems like an on going cycle. The good thing about this is my period is very regular and SUPER light which I love! and I also don't experience cramping anymore. I am hoping that my acne starts to go away soon though.

July 9, 2014 12:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Was good for not getting pregnant , but made me feel sick I'm using it for a month now and skin is dark and dirty looking body pains feel tired just sick overall

July 8, 2014 8:23 AM

Review by Linzee B.:

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: My experience on Zarah was absolutely HORRIBLE. At first things were good. I never carried water weight and my periods lightened up. All of a sudden in these last couple months, my body has been going haywire on it. Everybody swears I could be pregnant, but I'm not. I have gained 20 lbs eventhough I watch my diet and stay active, my acne has not cleared up, I spot 2-3 times a week, crave spicy foods a lot, sweets make me nauseous, I stay with headaches and constant mood swings. My obgyn switched me back to Safyral because I was never bloated, and in fact lost all my excess weight. The only side effect I had was that my periods were a bit heavy the first 2 days. So my obgyn tried me on Zarah. Would much rather deal with heavy periods.

June 25, 2014 5:22 PM

Review by PMS Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Yaz was great for about three months. Then with time I suddenly started to become too overbearing for many people in my life. I was always high strung, and I had intense symptoms of PMS. It got to the point where my family and friends basically ignored me for two weeks and I lost a relationship from it. It helped give me the estrogen I was lacking while being a great birh control, the PMS factor just overrided the others.

June 18, 2014 10:29 AM

Review by Kath22:

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I started taking the pill at 11 years ago to help with dysmenhorrea (really painful periods) and after trying a few different pills to find one that worked for me I started using Yasmin. I used Yasmin for many years and it worked very well for me. Recently my insurance company decided that they would cover Zarah but not the Yasmin so my pharmacy switched me and told me that they were the same pill. When you look at the monograph included with the pills the only noticeable difference is with the non-medicinal ingredients so I agreed to the switch. I wish I hadn't. When I first started Zarah I was nauseated on and off for about a month. Then I noticed that I was getting quite bloated. My weight has gone up 2 or 3 pounds.

June 13, 2014 4:25 PM

Review by Shanny112 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have a regular cycle with no spotting. I did have some weight gain in the belly area but it helps with pimples and my PMS is better. I would recommend this pill.

June 6, 2014 10:45 PM

Review by NL83:

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Overall no major side effects but I do think I've gained weight. I am very active -strength train 5 days/week & run 20km per week and eat quite healthy around 1500 calories/day and cannot shed this extra 10 lbs. I think it's the Zarah. As far as acne goes, I have mild acne & have not noticed an improvement.

June 4, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by GloriaAnne:

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: I have been on this for over a year. I was on Sydea previously for a year. This birth control works great. There are no cramps, it's a lighter flow, I'm more emotionally stable, it's shorter, and I only had one scare because I forgot to take it for two days in a row and my period came late. The only downside I've noticed is that I have almost NO sex drive now. But my insurance covers it all until I'm no longer considered a dependent/full time student.

May 29, 2014 2:34 AM

Review by xKatx:

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been taking Gianvi for about 4 months now and at first I really enjoyed it. Now I'm feeling nauseous, my breasts are swollen and painful and I've had a headache every other day for a month. I've also noticed a slight weight gain and I'm moody as hell not to mention my sex drive is gone. I'm so frustrated I want off this pill and back on my old one, Ocella. I'm calling my dr and demanding to switch back so I can stop being a monster and enjoy my sex life with my fiance again.

May 14, 2014 2:34 AM

Review by c0202 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: So I starting taking Zarah after Ocella was giving me an bad discharge with an odor. At first I thought I loved Zarah. I recently changed insurance and I can no longer get Zarah. I've began taking a new pill which I cannot remember the name of but I have now realized how many PROBLEMS I actually had with Zarah. I've learned that Zarah was causing weird breakouts around my chin that were just hard painful bumps that never turned into actual zits. It was causing my breasts to lactate, by the way I am 21, have been on birth control since 15 and have never been pregnant. After reading another review I have noticed my sex drive go wayyy up as well.

May 13, 2014 2:03 PM

Review by Amj23:

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been taking Zarah for almost 3 months. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and working on getting healthier to try and have a child. When I first took Zarah I got these major headaches at first and tender breast but after three weeks the headaches went away. I haven't had my period in a little over a year because of my PCOS so when I got my first one it was painful but since than they have been easier. My skin looks great and haven't gained any weight. I still have tender breast but part due to my PCOS. I'd recommend it if you can bare with the first two or three weeks. It has been better than others I've tried. Also no mood swings either.

May 3, 2014 2:15 PM

Review by Sdolbee13:

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been using Ocella for a few months. I don't use condoms and I've had zero scares so far. I have hormonal acne and it's getting better slowly. My periods are amazing now. I have no cramps whatsoever. My moods are great. Not on birth control I am a crazy monster. My cramps are unbearable for days. I have not had much weight gain and my cravings are less than normal. So far I like this.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2014 1:25 AM

Review by Valona (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: It is the most amazing medicine for birth control I ever used. I actually didn't use anything else except Yaz, never switched to another birth control pill. The only side effect is that I gained weight but that's nothing compared to how amazingly it works. I also got all the acne gone and I have regular periods.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2014 7:33 AM

Review by Yaz review:

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I had tried just about everything for acne from topical creams to antibiotics. I had been on various different antibiotics for acne over the past four years and was ready to stop always taking antibiotics that never truly cleared my skin fully anyway. It's my second month on yaz and I've noticed improvement in my skin without taking the antibiotics. The first month I had a pretty bad breakout, mood swings, bad cramping, and cravings. I noticed a sort of constant breast tenderness and swelling, but especially so nearing my period. My sex drive has also significantly decreased and and in the first month I would actually cry for no reason at all (moodiness). The best part is that my insurance covers this completely. I pay nothing out of pocket

April 13, 2014 9:59 PM