User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Acne 175 reviews 519 medications

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome 10 reviews 97 medications

6.2
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 808 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I have very, very heavy periods and PCOS (high testosterone, high androgens, etc). I started out on Loestrin 1/20 and lost about 20 pounds in one month. Yay! After a while, it became less effective and my heavier periods were coming back after about a year. Come in Loryna (generic Yaz) and I'm back in heaven again. It's been around a year, and it's less effective. :( The heavy periods, dizziness, etc are coming back. I'm not sure what else to try... I'm not sure why they work at first then increasingly become less effective. Either way, I love the pill. I'm single and the almost non-existent libido is a plus! I can focus on important things than sex always on my mind. I highly recommend it. Yeah, it also causes dryness there."

B_Tanya May 2, 2016

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm not even all the way through my first pack and I have a love hate relationship with Ocella. My docs gave me this medication to prevent future cysts; I had a 9cm and two 4cm cysts (existent since birth). I have spotting EVERY DAY! I can't tell when my period started "

Aleykins May 2, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for : "I am 18 years old. When I was put on this medication I was 17. I started on this pill in August 2015. In November of 2015 I was taken to the hospital with BLOOD CLOTS in 3 major veins of my left arm. I do not have a clotting disorder. I have never had health problems. I went through a major bypass where they removed a section of my vein to replace part of the vein around my collarbone that could not eventually fix itself. I had many balloons done through my arm to try to remove the clots. Currently, I am therapeutic. I take a blood thinner twice a day and an aspirin once daily. This has been my daily routine for five and a half months."

britt16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This is the first birth control I've been on, I mostly used it for acne at first. For the first 1 month it was fine then after that I started getting nauseous a few hours after taking the pill. Then the 3rd month I would get really nauseous that I would almost throw up and this was happening a few days a week and I missed to much school, so I finally stopped taking it. But besides being super nausea all the time I had moodswings, did nothing for my acne, bad cramps, and anxiety. The only good thing is was that it regulated my period."

Britneyyy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This pill is my first one and it's okay BUT My acne is not gone already (after 3 months). I have cystic acne in the chin, around the mouth. Maybe I have to wait more... Also, it gave me vaginal dryness -_- (the lube don't help) so I have to buy products (like Vagisil Prohydrate, Replens) to help this condition."

Suzie0967 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I'm actually on Laila 35 which is the generic version and it has taken some time for my skin to get where it is but I had horrible cystic acne on my jawline and then just general acne on my face, chest and back. The pill has absolutely cleared my skin to the point where I can go out and not feel like I need makeup. Maybe once I have my scars treated, I might not even need makeup for school. I get heaps of compliments on how much better my skin is and looks, let alone how GOOD I feel. Unless you have acne you wouldn't understand that its not just something on you face that goes away when you use a cleanser, it's a mental thing. Take this and don't expect instant results."

ruby135 April 30, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Acne totally gone... its amazing"

Ascfglo9934 April 23, 2016

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I just finished my second month of Gianvi and it will be my last. CONS: Constant bleeding, gained weight, horrible headaches, and mood swings that make me feel crazy. PRO: No pregnancy, on-time period, went from a B to a C cup, no change in skin."

4545 April 19, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "well so far my menstruation while using yaz pills is really regular. everything while on yaz was perfect! I am hoping after I am done with my 3rd box I will try and get pregnant!"

lotski (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for : "I started taking Yasmin to clear my skin. I had history of migraine with aura but haven't had it for the last 6 months. Second month taking Yasmin I had 3 migraine attacks in one week and ended up in ER. I stop taking the pills immediately"

Sunnyday0728 April 13, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on this birth control since I was 16 years old (I'm now 27). I have never had any problems with it. When I first started taking it my boobs grew by 2 cup sizes in a short period of time but that could have been coincidence. I very rarely have acne and I haven't experience any mood swings or loss in libido. I do ocassionally have breakthrough bleeding, but that's to be expected with any kind of hormonal birth control."

Kaitmag April 12, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "As far as birth control... never got pregnant. That is the only plus. Horrible cramps, heavy bleeding, soaking thru tampons in an hour or less, passing of large clots, headaches. Looking forward to switching off to a different BCP"

jparker19 April 8, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I just start Yaz almost 4 weeks ago. I am 42 years old, I have my tubes tied so I don't need this for birth control but I started having perimenapause issues and I needed something to fix my hormones asap. I actually asked for Yaz. The first three days I was extremely tired but I was also extremely chill. After day 2 things started looking better and each day after that it gets better and better. This has helped the moods quite a bit, right now the only con is that my sex drive is lower but I am going to give my body some more time to adjust to the hormones before I make any changes. I plan on taking this pill back to back to eliminate my periods. I'll check back in another month."

slewis1973 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I began Zarah when I kept having spotting while taking zovia. This pill might as well be called demonic possession. It was a living nightmare. My boobs got bigger but could barely be touched because they were so swollen and painful. The week I was on my period they stopped hurting and that was really the only time I was happy in my life. On. My. Period. But besides the breast tenderness I felt nauseous, tired, I would randomly vomit after meals, I had no control over my bladder. I once had to pee outside of a gas station because I could wait to walk inside and get the restroom key. I was the most moody irritable grumpy person I have ever been in my life. I almost dropped my sorority, ruined my relationship with my boyfriend. I once got angry because my boyfriend was trying to give me a back massage and I "didn't understand why he had to be touching me all the time". I also couldn't have sex for longer than 5 minutes because I would get dry. Low libido, low tolerance for any person in my life. Even the people I liked, started becoming the people I hated. At a Buffalo Wild Wings I practically threw a fit at the waiter because "the mild wings were too spicy". He timidly came back to let me try a new sauce before they made a new batch. I ended up not eating the wings I was so pissed of. I haven't been to a Buffalo Wild Wings since. Today is my first day on a new pill and I'm hoping this time it will be a different experience."

Angry Kate (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "It was terrible. I took it years ago when it first came out. Yasmin 28, I think. My mood was down, I had upset stomach all the time. I couldn't handle diary or fats. I always felt anxious. I told my gyno, he shrugged it off as normal. Then the tipping point was when I was on the bus and I started feeling lightheaded and then lost my vision. A friend helped me off the bus where I had to sit and breathe in the cool fall air in order to regain my composure and slowly my vision came back. I stopped the pill immediately after that. My peroid only came back 3 months later and it took years before it was on track again. I went online and many women had same issues and had trouble starting a family after stopping the pill. Dangerous stuff."

CinCinD March 31, 2016

For Acne: "I have only been on this medication for 2 months, even though I still have acne it has worked wonders in reducing my cystic acne and helping with scarring but Iseem to be having more blackheads. I also got a prescription for a spot treatment which may or may not be causing blackheads). I have bpd (borderline personality disorder) and it hasn't made it worse or better (which I wasn't expecting it to), I was scared it would make my mood dramatically worse and it hasn't which is a major plus as all other acne meds I have been on have. 8/10 because I still have cysts and new pimples everyday they are just was smaller, less painful, and happening less."

Robyn1212342 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on the generic version of Yaz for 7 days now. I have been nauseated for 7 days and have resulted to taking Zofran (ondanestron) 4 times so that I could eat food. Previously I was on a non-hormonal IUD (Paraguard) but had to have surgery to remove it after it was expelled from my uterus and punctured and embedded in the uterus wall. I'm hopeful that the nausea will go away soon because it's impacted my daily activities."

CJ1234 March 15, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've taken this for about four years and no problem. Recently I have forgotten to take it for like 3days and spotting does arrive, other than that I highly recommend. #teamzarah I'm 34 if that helps, but hey all bodies are different."

Zarah bc taker lol (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 13, 2016

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was put on Zarah because I needed a low dosage pill, after being on Loestrin that made me sick. I have been taking it for 2 years, now all of a sudden I'm having breakthrough bleeding out of nowhere like I just started the pill"

Anonymous March 12, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I don't usually review anything online but I really feel like I need to share my experience with this pill. I was on Yasmin for a year and a half and although superficially it was okay (no weight gain, no acne etc), mentally I went crazy and this seems to be the case for a lot of women. I was anxious, my mind was foggy, I was snappy and overly aggressive (which is very unlike me), and generally just didn't feel myself. I then spoke to a doctor following an anxiety breakdown and they said it could've been due to my pill. I recently changed from yasmin to another pill and it has changed my life. I FINALLY feel myself again and I've realised how much yasmin messed me up. I would not recommend this pill or experience to anyone."

123ks1234 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2016

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I just started taking this pill not yet through the first week, and already I'm covered in acne which I never had using the IUD. I decided I didn't want the IUD anymore after the five years were up because it poked my partner and is something I can't take out myself. Anyways Yasmin has caused me crazy acne like teenager status (I'm 25) and has caused me breast tenderness when I used to feel no tenderness at all. I read the reviews about gaining a cup size.. I hope that doesn't happen to me, I already have DD's. We'll see how the next few months play out, but so far NOT IMPRESSED"

Andy Candy (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2016

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I would recommend this to anyone wanting to control hormones. I was very depressed, anxious, gained a lot of weight due to constant cravings. It's good for acne, my face was clear as it was with Yaz. I had to get my insurance to prior authorize this only to have bad side effects. Was on this for approx 8 months and gained 20 pounds from not wanting to leave the couch and bad depression/anxiety. I thought it was something else until I stopped taking it. I can't take generics, always a problem. I'm going back on Yaz, was never an issue for me, even lost weight."

Pl24 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 9, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Heavy bleeding and intense cramping were my primary concerns for starting birth control and since I still bled heavy on my first pill I was switched to Yaz. The good is that the mild acne I did have is now non-existent, no more cramps, and my cycle is the lightest it's ever been. I can actually *want* to do more than stay in bed during my cycle. The bad is the random spotting. Theoretically it's caused by not taking the pill at the same time everyday but I keep a pretty tight schedule so it sucks. The mood swings are also discouraging. I feel myself getting mad or either sad about literally anything more often now. I've also picked up about 10 lbs despite the same eating habits and activity level."

MaddieK (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2016

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I'm 52 with heavy long lasting periods. I was hoping for alot more results. I took it 7 mo given it a fair try. Unfortunately, it wasn't the answer. I have bad cramps its heavy, blood clots still. No sex drive, fatigue, it made me crazy and I drove my husband away. I do not recommend it."

Danika Rose Patrick (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2016

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Well my Dr wanted me to try it instead of depo.. but I cramp while not even on my period now and have chest pains about an hour after taking it. I looked up reviews because of the chest pains ... and no surprise others experience chest pain with it. I wouldn't recommend it. Also the days of the week label falls off and gets me off track. That doesn't help.."

Si Cov March 7, 2016