User Reviews for Drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Acne 124 reviews 512 medications

6.2
Premenstrual Syndrome 0 reviews 29 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 637 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "My biggest concern was weight gain. I've just finished my first month of Zarah, and have actually lost a pound or two, but I'm pretty sure it's just water weight. The Good Stuff about Zarah: Reduced/No water retention. No increased appetite. My breasts haven't been swollen/tender. PMDD symptoms are much milder. The Neutral/Bleh Stuff about Zarah: still have some moodiness while the hormones adjust. Definitely having bouts of nausea. But I'll take nausea over no weight gain/slight weight loss any day."

EB83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2015

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "Im 17 and I started Yasmin 4 months ago as I broke out in acne and I also had PCOS. This is not good when you do modelling, I was devastated. The doctor also started me on antibiotics to give the pill a chance to kick in. I have mood swings but I think that's pretty normal for a teenager, haven't really changed in my weight, but the great thing is my acne has cleared up, I can go without makeup now. I still get pimple breakouts every now and then but that's also a normal teenage thing. The doctor wants to change me to a milder pill soon, but if I break out again I will be asking to go back on Yasmin>"

Jaz 1 June 22, 2015

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "Well, this was a last resort for my PMDD, which is pretty much destroying my life. I was VERY nervous about taking it - not interested in hair loss, weight gain etc. But I gave it a chance. 3 days in, developed a cluster of hives on left hand, and one on right hand. Extremely itchy. Absolutely no other changes in my products/lifestyle/food/etc.. So I know it's Yaz. Also all over burning/itchiness. Sun & showers make it worse. On day 4, realized I felt less..calm.. more anxious. Also finding it difficult to sleep. Doc claimed 'unlikely Yaz causing this'. Yeah, right. Told me to take Zyrtec for symptoms. Nope. This isn't working for me."

pmsinferno June 19, 2015

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: "I took Yasmin in my 20's and remembered that I had a decent experience on it, so when my GYN suggested birth control pills to help manage my peri menopause symptoms (aggressive mood swings, debilitating menstrual cramps, periods lasting 10 days and coming every 2 weeks, heavy clotting), I asked for the formula again (generic this time). I've been on it for 3 cycles and my experience is similar to what it was 15 yrs ago. Mood evened out almost immediately. Periods only once a month! Bleeding very light and lasts 3 or 4 days. Good side effects? Lost about 8 lbs, breasts fuller. Not-so-good side effects? Ovarian/uterine cramping and sore breasts during last week of active pills (I take a lot of Advil). Skin not better, but not worse either."

emley (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2015

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "This is my second pack, I have never felt worse, microgynon never made me feel so sick, I'm nauseous for a week and a half , everyday! The first pack did not make me sick. My sex drive is none existent now I'm so moody On the upside, I've lost weight."

gabbise (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2015

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I started Yaz a few months ago and so far the results are unimpressive. Primarily I went on the pill the regulate my extremely heavy and long periods as a bonus I was using it as a contraceptive. Contraceptive wise it was a dream, but it did absolutely nothing for my periods, the pain was still there and instead of being 8 days they are now 10 or 11. I also got horrible mood swings, and I suffer from depression so I really didn't think I would get any 'lower' but on this pill I really have. My emotions are just all over the place. If you are going to go on this pill I would definitely do proper research. I have decided to stop taking it."

lpet76 June 11, 2015

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "The only reason I didn't rate this pill a 1, is because it did clear up my skin, which is initially why I switched to Ocella. I was on BeYaz for 3 months and loved it, and when I learned my insurance did not cover it, I quickly had to switch to a similar generic birth control. Which I thought Ocella was always compared to BeYaz. So let me just say it did wonders for my skin. HOWEVER, within a week of taking the pill, I noticed a huge change in my mood. I was really sad all of the time, especially at work. It only went down from there. After 5 weeks on Ocella, I had an anxiety attack at my boyfriends house and the following week I experienced the heaviest depression I have ever felt in my life. I had horrible thoughts, felt hopeless and dowN"

Ihateocella14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Confident with relying on it as only form of birth control. Breasts got bigger but gained no weight in the stomach/thigh area. Loss of sex drive in the first month but after that it went back to normal. I love this pill no mood changes at all. Cleared my face and works amazing"

Brit921 June 4, 2015

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I switched from Microgynon to Yazmin due to suffering from almost all terrible side effects including fatigue, loss of libido and mood swing. I have had 4 packs of Yazmin so far. At the first three months, I feel a lot better. I was happier and even had better libido. However, starting from the 4 packs, I started to have some side effects. I am slowly losing my libido and became moody. Yet, my breast seems to be bigger, had shorter and lighter period, and haven't had breast pain and fatigue at all."

Anonymous4515864865 June 4, 2015

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I'm 19 and have been on Zarah for 2 years due to endometriosis. I don't notice my periods being much lighter while on it but that's probably due to my condition. I have had zero weight gain on this medication and my skin is always clear. It made me a little nauseous I'm the beginning, but nothing like what other bc pills did to me. This is by far my favorite!"

Cassie778 June 3, 2015

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I have been using yaz for about 2 months now and it as made my acne so much worse. I never have cystic acne in my life and now I'm getting it all over my cheeks where I never use to have acne. My acne was mild before but now looks severe from all the red marks of healing old hyper pigmentation. I'm 15 and obessed with my skin, and can't look people in the eyes and go out. I'm so fed up and I'm going on accutane in 3 days. yaz may work for some people but I'm telling you it throws your hormones to wack no matter what in the first month. Only difference I have seen on yaz is my whiteheads are smaller but skin is a lot worse over all. wishing you best of luck for finding something that works for you!"

ashghacns June 2, 2015

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "March 2014 I started breaking out so bad I cried. I didn't know why I was breaking out because I was clear for fives years on ortho tri cyclen. All of sudden I had huge painful acne all of my chin and above my lip. I tried everything and nothing worked. Decemeber 2014 I finally tried yaz. At first my acne got worse and I started losing hope. But I imediallty noticed that I had fewer cystic pimples. Now it is May and I finally have clear skin. I still have a few red marks from scars and I get tiny little pimples but no where near what I had before. This stuff is amazing and I finally feel confident again. It started to really work for me on month 4 so give it time and don't give up."

Michelle Kolodka May 31, 2015

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I was on Gianvi for a month. I found myself in a spiraling depression to the point that I was crying daily. I had terrible anxiety and trouble concentrating. I couldn't focus and had trouble sleeping. I couldn't figure out why I was in such a funk, until I got my period and suddenly felt better. I then googled Gianvi and discovered that this level of depression and anxiety isn't uncommon on this pill."

Anonymous May 23, 2015

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "My Obgyn recommended me to take Yasmin pills to regulate my hormones. This was after I had a surgery to remove polyps formed on my uterine lining. I have been on this for 1 year now and lately, I start to have cyst on my skin. I had one on my tummy, another on my thigh and now there is one more under my bum. This cyst is a small red bump on the skin which is painful. On one hand, I minimized the risk of uterine polyps recurring but on the other hand, I get skin cysts."

Anonymous May 23, 2015

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: "I have PCOS and my gynecologist recommended that I take Yaz or Ocella. I took Ocella about a week, but after feeling numbness in my arm I decided to look up reviews on Yasmin, Yaz, and Ocella. I was horrified. I stopped Ocella and my PCOS started to get worse so I searched for medications that were good to treat PCOS. Yasmin had awesome reviews from people with PCOS (not so much for those with out it). I read allot of reviews and found that most people can tell a difference btw Yasmin and Ocella. I don't have insurance, but to me the price is worth it! I've lost weight, have my period again which makes me feel normal, my breast have only slightly gotten larger but don't hurt, and my skin only breaks out when I'm on my period."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2015

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on gianvi for months and it works great with break outs which I started getting in my late 20's and then I pick up my my prescription from my pharmacy this month and it was vestura I noticed immediately because of the different packaging but since starting Vestura this week I've had more break outs then I've ever had my whole life and every time I look up info on if they are the same drug it's confusing it has like ten student names including Yazmin which I've seen for lawsuits. I also have started a different generic for my oxycodone 10/325 so if any one had singular experiences and can lend me some help I'm open to anything. Thanks"

melinda757 May 21, 2015

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I am 21, very fit and active. Although I've had two kids, I only weigh about 140, and I work out daily (4-5 days a week) I walk 3.5 miles a day and go to the gym. I began taking Zarah in hopes that it wouldn't cause weight gain, however, I have gained 5lbs in the first week. Not to mention I cannot lose the weight no matter how hard I try! Keep in mind I also diet. I have retained so much fluid, and this medicine caused crazy mood swings and irritability. I also bled when I wasn't on my period. I stopped using zarah about a week ago... I've lost those 5lbs, no more mood swings and I feel much better."

Camilax13 May 16, 2015

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I've been using Yaz for almost two months and I won't be continuing with this pill. Almost immediately after I changed from Qlaira to Yaz I noticed my anxiety levels rising, I'm not one to constantly worry and have always had this joy for life, but not since taking Yaz. I don't even feel like waking up and doing what I love. My sex drive is very, very, very low and I'm very dry down there. I'm very moody and fight with my fiance on a daily basis. My breasts have gone up an entire cup size and they are really tende. I have severe abdominal pains and nausea. I cannot wait to start a different pill."

FrankieSweeting May 11, 2015

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "Checking back in from my previous post. I just started my 3rd week on my 3rd pack. First, I never write reviews and second I'm so mad it's taken me this long to try yaz. I can't believe how my skin looks! SO CLEAR! I had zero faith in this birth control,I've tried everything. 1month ago I was hiding in my room wanting to get off this stuff. The initial breakout was bad, definitely made it worse by picking at it. I don't remember the last time my face has looked this clear! This was my dermatologist last try before the dreaded accutane. The last 2 years has been filled with nasty chin/jaw breakouts. First time in 2 years I have no breakouts. THANK YOU MAKERS OF YAZ. Please please please give it 3-4 months before giving up."

KSUgirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "pros -much lighter period -shorter period (4-5 days) -almost no cramps -no pregnancy scares -clearer skin CONS -really sore boobs all of the time -high blood pressure -lost a lot of hair and my hair about half as thick as it use to be"

alexandra1210 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2015

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "No side effects(nausea, headaches,etc) Regulated my period"

archii May 5, 2015

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I am 20 and have had terrible skin since I was about 15. After taking the Yasmin pill as well as Duac cream from my doctor my skin is so clear and smooth! Everyone keeps saying to me OMG your skin is amazing! I would definitely recommend it it's been brilliant. Only side affect may be mood swings but even at that I'm still not sure..."

megwilldo May 5, 2015

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "Switched from Microgynon to Yazmin due to suffering with headaches, fatigue & loss of libido. However, yaz did not really help to be honest! My periods were heavier and more painful on Yaz, I was moody, had painful breasts but one bonus was they were bigger! Still got headaches too oh and I gained 5lb during 6 mths of using this pill."

Joedi April 28, 2015

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: "I am 20 years old and have had relatively clear skin my whole life. Just over a month ago I had a horrific breakout, the likes of which i'd never seen! Before, I'd stress out over one little spot on my chin whereas now my whole face was riddled with them. I was prescribed Yasmin and just wanted to say - it's not a quick fix! I've been on it almost a month now and I'd say my acne has gotten twice as bad - the spots are mostly comedonal acne and my uneven face and complexion make me extremely self conscious. Following reading the other good reviews, I'm looking forward to the good skin to come, but just needed to say that it's certainly not here yet! Hoping Yasmin follows the rule that "sometimes things get worse before they get better"!"

Charlotte J (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: "I started taking Yaz almost 3 months ago. I was put on Yaz for hormonal acne (chin and jaw line). I've had TERRIBLE experiences with birth control, weight gain, acne, mood swings, etc. I was nervous to start Yaz. Within a week my acne was completely gone! I did not experience any mood swings or weight gain! No "hungry all the time feeling." I was beyond excited. I started my 2nd pack and my face lit up like never before. Probably the worst breakouts I've ever had. I just finished my 2nd pack and my face is finally clearing up. Im just dealing with the aftermath from the breakouts (purple blue spots). I'm guessing my body was just getting used to the hormones. I'll check back in after month 3! Hopefully it will continue to clear up!"

Ksugirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015