User Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Also known as: Gianvi, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Vestura, Yaela, Yasmin, Yaz, Zarah

Learn more about Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol.

Acne 109 reviews 511 medications

Premenstrual Syndrome 0 reviews 30 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol reviews 591 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol

Review by Anonymous55521 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Been on Yasmin for 5 years. Always had brain fog. Gained 50lbs. Lost hair. Stressed. Appetite went way up. Recently decided to go off the pill. After period I instantly felt better. Sex drive is coming back. Just feel good. Hope it keeps up but I'm not going back.

February 27, 2015 11:56 PM

Review by Rawvjq (taken for 10 years or more):

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been on this pill for the past ten years and I love it. I've never had a menstrual cramp in my life, I never feel PMS symptoms (bloating, cravings, moodiness, etc). It has been helpful with acne. One downside is my sex drive has diminished but it's hard to tell if the pill is the culprit as I've been on it ten years. No weight gain from this either!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 3:42 PM

Review by Josiejoe:

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been taking Yaz for 4 months now, I'm 16 years old. Few complaints, at the beginning this pill caused me horrible nausea and breast pain but that could be due to changing to Yasmin from Microgynon 30. Also I experienced spells of depressive moods which have now cleared up but I often experience mood swings! On a positive note my skin has cleared up massively and have maintained if not lost weight, great pill.

February 16, 2015 7:45 AM

Review by Stackahhh (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I started on Brenda and it made my mild acne worse. I switched to Yasmin and it cleared it right up, however, 5 months on and my face has started feeling greasy and I'm developing small pimples. I don't know if it's just this hot dry weather. Ps: I stopped doing a 4 step cleansing and treating routine as I thought I had no need. So perhaps it's a combination of those two factors.

February 13, 2015 6:28 AM

Review by SarahT0908 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I am on Gianvi primarily for horomonal acne. Was on Yaz for 3 years for this but since this is free, I switched. It works WONDERS for my hormonal chin acne! There is some light spotting at first and breast tenderness before my period but that's it.

February 2, 2015 4:06 PM

Review by screengirl7691 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I started Yaz about 3 months ago and like many of you, I have zero faith in it's ability to help my acne. I've had cystic acne for about 3 years and although it was never awful, I always had at least one or two unsightly blemishes. It took about 3 months to really work, and the first 3 weren't awful but they weren't great. If you have acne and are looking for relief, TRY YAZ! It's honestly amazing. Seriously. I've never posted anything before, I truly believe in this stuff.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2015 2:40 PM

Review by Kath484:

Loryna (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Does what its intended to do!

January 22, 2015 2:04 PM

Review by Californiagirl15:

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I have been on Ocella for about 2 months now. I originally was on Zarrah and had the BEST skin - my light acne cleared up within the first 2 weeks & remained absolutely flawless for almost 2 years. I ended up having a 2 week period - nightmare, I know. I went to my Gyno who had then switched me to Ocella. I explained to her that I loved the way Zarrah effected my skin & didn't want to breakout on a new form of Birth Control. I'm almost finished with month 2 and have been breaking out with white heads all over my forehead, along with a few painful zits around my face. I use Clarisonic every morning/night and eat healthy/workout. My moods are great and I lost a few pounds, but I may not continue Ocella for this reason...remaining optimistic!!

January 15, 2015 8:03 PM

Review by EmmaKnutsen:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: Love this! I was a little discouraged at first because the magic number of 3 months didn't work for me. However when I hit 4 months all of my back acne was gone and my face had totally cleared up. I've never seen anything like it. I still get the odd zit and for individuals who react well with Yaz I find that acne can be caused by eating dairy products. I don't doubt if I cut milk and cheese out of my diet, as well as continued on the pill I would have 0 acne at all.

January 12, 2015 1:56 AM

Review by andelicar:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I wish this was around back when I was in high school! I have struggled with acne for my whole teen/adult life. I have taken Yaz on and off for 8 years now, and my skin never looks better than when I'm on Yaz. The doc took me off last year because I was getting headaches and she was concerned the estrogen in the Pill was causing it, but after a year on the mini pill with the same frequency of headaches and the added terribleness of deep cystic acne, I am happily back on Yaz and already seeing an improvement in my skin. Only complaint (mainly from my husband) is a slightly lowered sex drive.

January 9, 2015 1:18 PM

Review by Calichick:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I'm 18 years old and I started taking Yaz when I was 14 for the use of treating acne. It did not do much for my acne so I began taking Accutane. I stayed on Yaz because you need to be on 2 forms of birth control when taking Accutane. My acne went away, and then I got a boyfriend so I stayed on Yaz. I've been using Yaz for over 4 years in all of my teen years and let me just say, this stuff is amazing for preventing pregnancy. The pills are a miracle. I didn't really gain weight on this product, I developed breasts rapidly! I've never taken any other types of birth control, but I give YAZ five stars. Good luck!

January 7, 2015 4:11 AM

Review by joyazgirl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I was on Yas a few years ago and I stopped. I had no problems with it and it did clear up my acne, which was mild anyway. When I started it up again, there are two things I don't like about it: 1. normally my periods are very heavy on day two and taper off at a five, they also pushed back every month by about a week. With Yaz, my periods are much lighter to the point where I'm only spotting but then I'm spotting for almost a week and a half and even though I'm on the blanks, my period does not start now until almost the second week of my new pack. 2. My breasts are extremely tender ALL.MONTH.LONG! At first, I didn't mind because my breasts grew by almost a full cup. I can hardly hug people! I don't know if I'll continue or at least take a break.

January 4, 2015 2:48 PM

Review by PMS = Pretty Mad Sister (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Yaz has been a complete lifesaver. I used to suffer with heavy bleeding and cramps that had me bedridden. I've been on Yaz since 16 and I don't regret it at all. I have absolutely no side effects and there is no complications with my health either. If you're a first timer - Yaz is the way to go.

January 2, 2015 4:49 PM

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been on Yaz for 3 years now and it really helped with a lot of things. My mild acne cleared up and I have beautiful skin, and before Yaz I had very irregular periods that would last for 2 weeks at a time. Yaz controlled my period and I only have it for about 3-4 days and it is very light. I do get moody while taking the white pills (last 4 pills) and I hate everything, but I've always been like that and it only lasts a few days. It has helped a great deal in preventing pregnancy, since I don't always use condoms. I would definitely recommend this pill.

December 27, 2014 8:50 PM

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I suffered from pretty bad acne. Everyday I would wake up with lots of whiteheads even some blackheads too, my acne was also very red, over my nose, chin, cheek and forehead area. I took Yaz for three months and it does wonders to your skin, I no longer suffer with waking up with lots of whiteheads or blackheads and I have seen a change in my skin. I will continue to take Yaz to keep improving my skin!

December 22, 2014 5:49 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Gianvi (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: This was great with acne.....but had spotting every month for 8 months. Finally trying something else. I'm in my 40's and needed something for my acne.

December 12, 2014 1:38 PM

Review by Bearbelle:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I've taken Yaz for 3 months now and it has cleared up 90% of my acne. All I have left are some tiny clogged pores which are clearing. I have adult acne and tried every OTC, prescription, and expensive creams, microdermabrasion etc and nothing worked. Previously intolerant to the pill, but on Yaz I'm calm, happy, no problems. Be warned, the first 6 weeks your face will look horrendous, worse than ever, but it gets so much better.

December 8, 2014 3:06 PM

Review by Pbandj (taken for 10 years or more):

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: Prescribed Ocella for POCS (polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) which can cause severe cystic acne that I had. Have been on it for 10 years. It was a miracle, acne is gone. To prevent the mood swings and acne flare ups during the inert week each month, I had my OBGYN write prescription for 3 months straight. Now only have period & mood swings 4 times/yr instead of 12. Other pills caused anxiety attacks, I have felt most normal on this pill. The downside is I have no libido, but I am 40 so I guess I should expect some decrease at my age anyway.

December 4, 2014 10:47 PM

Review by Chebear (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I've been taking Yaz for three months for adult acne that was unresponsive to just about every skincare/formulation/medication/creams/makeup on the market. I had tried everything but the pill (Yaz) for several years due to becoming depressed/irritable on other contraceptive pills previously. This is the only thing that has worked! I'm so happy. The first 6 weeks made my skin much much worse but now, I'm clear for the first time in years. My breasts are fuller also which is a bonus.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2014 5:22 AM

Review by Giaa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zarah (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Zarah has been okay. I first started on the pill about 5 months ago and it helped a little with my cramps that were horrible before I started the pill. However, I noticed some weight gain and realized that I have horrible mood swings. My period isn't much lighter than before, and my period doesn't come until a few days after I start taking the sugar pills. It definitely decreased my sex drive a lot and I started getting a lot of discharge every day.

December 1, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by FinallyHappy (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Menstrual Disorders: When I first started taking birth control I was only 13, I started it because I used to have two week long heavy & horrific periods every two weeks! I first started out on Yasmin, but later was switched to Ocella for insurance reasons. I'm now almost 19, have been on birth control for 5+ years, and I NEVER want to go back. It helps keep my skin clearer & softer (I only break out about a week before my period now) and my periods are much better now! I used to have issues with my period ending when I started a new pack, but eventually my body got used to it & now my periods are light with little/no cramps and only last around 3 days! I seriously could not be happier

November 30, 2014 8:49 PM

Review by happy customer:

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I love Yaz! I was first put on it 2 years ago to help get rid of my acne and within the first 3 months my skin started clearing and have been acne free since. It did make me put on a little bit of weight but zero mood swings and no change to my sex drive. My periods have become a lot lighter and last shorter days (usually 3-4 days) I highly recommend this pill but the only downside is you do have to take it everyday

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2014 9:57 AM

Yaz (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Acne: I am now on my 5th month of Yaz and I have zero acne, best decision I've ever made. I first started noticing a difference after the 2sd week, the acne I had started healing and I stopped breaking out (I use get at least one or two new pimples a week, and get a bunch around my period) after the first month I stopped getting acne all together and I only had some scars. By the second month my scar finally faded and now in my fifth month my skin is completely clear. Everyone is different but I would definitely recommend trying this!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2014 3:20 AM

Review by Blah08888 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ocella (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been on Ocella for about two months now (and I was on it for about two years a while ago), but this time around I'm suffering from terrible nausea. No mood changes, lost some weight, no pimples, etc...but the nausea is ridiculous. I've been taking it now around 11 at night, so that I can try to sleep through it, but sometimes it will wake me up at 3 or 4, and I'll be so sick. Hoping that I adjust to this soon, because otherwise I really enjoy using it!

November 20, 2014 7:20 AM

Review by Joanne Halstead (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Yasmin (drospirenone / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: During the first year, severe migraines, it felt like my head was going to explode, mood swings, loss of sex drive.

November 18, 2014 7:16 PM