User Reviews for Prepopik

Learn more about Prepopik.

Prepopik Rating Summary

5.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 91 medications used in the treatment of Bowel Preparation.

Reviews for Prepopik to treat Bowel Preparation

"This was my 4th colonoscopy. For the first three I used Suprep. Not the most pleasant thing I have ever tasted but sure did the trick. For my colonoscopy today my surgeon recommended Prepopik. Followed the instructions to the T. Drank the first 5 ounces at 6:00 p.m. and the second dose at 5:00 a.m. as instructed. Procedure was at 10:00 a.m. Used the bathroom at the Center where my test was being done. BM was liquid but dark brown. Seemed unusual to me. Told my anesthesiologist and my surgeon and they assured me I would be fine. 30 minutes later I was awake and was told they couldn't perform the test because my colon was "too dirty". I wasn't shocked. What a waste of my time and theirs. Need to go back in a few weeks. Do NOT use Prepopik!"

Mark280 February 5, 2016

"After only 1 day of a liquid diet I was nervous but overall it was a good experience compared to what I've read about! It was $40 w/ coupon that the doc gave me. It didn't taste bad & was easy to gulp down. I didn't have any bad side effects(*Use baby Wipes!) It did take 6 hours for it to begin working (started 6:30pm it began 11:45pm) but the nurse told me that was normal esp. if you experience constipation. I only got 3 hours of sleep because I was constantly having to go. It ended just in time for the procedure at 9:30 am- toilet bowl was clear & yellow like pee. I had a last minute urge to go right before my procedure began too but the nurse said that was normal. I wish I had started the 1st dose earlier. Procedure went smooth; results good"

23 yrs old. First colonoscopy February 4, 2016

"I followed the instructions on the product. My Gastro suggested that I take four other laxatives, two days before my procedure and two the night before, followed by the Prepopik prep. I drank twice the recommended water and still I had a 'dirty' colon. I knew, even before the procedure that I wasn't clean and informed the doctor. He told me that I was right... If I knew it before he did, this is not the stuff for me!!"

Private Dancer February 2, 2016

"Didn't work at all. Don't use, especially if you have issues with constipation. Tastes good, but what a waste. The other stuff, the REAL stuff tastes awful but works."

69Brooke January 19, 2016

"MADE IN CHINA. Does not work. Took exactly as directed and it did not work. Ate light leading up to fasting. Look for alternatives and realize that China has zero quality control so unclear what you are actually ingesting."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2016

"This was my 1st colonoscopy and had Endoscopy at same appointment. Prepopik was so easy to use. Much better than the horror stories of that gallon prep others have told me of. I ate light three days prior then only beef, chicken, and vegetable broth, plus apple juice and white Gatorade. I started 1st dose at 6:30 PM and 2nd at 11:30. I drank more than the 5 cups. The 1st dose was through me in 3 hours. So I figured I was through at 2:30 AM and went to sleep because I was so sleepy and had a 9:30AM appt. but when I woke up, I realized I had an accident in bed. So my advice is to use Depends or keep a folded beach towel under you, just in case. To keep my anus from getting sore, I used Oxyfresh Aloevera Gel, to prevent the diaper rash soreness"

2th Dr January 3, 2016

"I just had this to prep for my screening colonoscopy - it worked as expected - gently cleansed bowels through the 2 step process. My only complaint is the price $120 which is not covered by insurance at all. Hence the rating of 7, else for effectiveness this is 9."

Kumar Sanu (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2016

"As a colon cancer patient, I have had colonoscopies every 6 months for years. As an old pro, I must say that I have NEVER experienced anything remotely as totally ineffective as this supposed preparation. As a result, I must reschedule for after the first of the year and pay my full medical deductible immediately, rather than no cost because deductible is already met for this year. My husband will be docked pay for taking off to drive me. I will have to take another week off blood thinner. And I feel nauseated, bloated, and angry. Shame on prepopik for taking good folks' money with false claims!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2015

"For bowel prep this worked wonderfully. Took the split dose method at 8pm and 3am for an early morning procedure. 1st dose chased with 24oz of water and 16 more oz within the hour and I was having bowel movements by 45 minutes. I did have to use Vaseline on my second dose as my rear was in a lot of pain. The trick is to eat light for the 2 days prior and a clear liquid diet 1 day before. Don't forget to pound those fluids! I felt really full/bloated but it made the process go by much faster. Bowels completely clear by 5am. Doc said procedure was good and bowls clean. No diarrhea afterwards and was able to eat a sandwich after with no problems. Highly recommend!!"

Zappp15 (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2015

"I am within two hours of my procedure and I don't believe I am cleaned out enough.Also when I go I get a very bad burning sensation"

collectking (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2015

"I took this prep to the T. And did not do the job. The two ducolax I took the evening before had more of an effect on me than this prep. I am miserable right now because I have two more days of agony, thanks prepopik"

Andy m December 22, 2015

"Had an endoscopy (w/biopsy) and colonoscopy (double adventure) yesterday. Not my first time having procedures but first trial with Prepopik. Much easier than expected. Started 1st pack around 5pm & drank more than the 5 8oz clear liquids (rotated between chicken broth and Gatorade to balance off the sweet/salt cravings plus have extra electrolytes to avoid dehydration). The meds kicked in about an hr later and continued till around 10pm. Second dose at 1am. Had plenty to drink again. Doc recommended I take Gas-x (1 tablet after drinking the med). No cramping! Slept from 3-6am. Had mild headache (thought caffeine withdrawal or being hungry). My procedure was at 9am. Headache/nauseous till procedure but recovered fine! Would recommend meds."

HealthyLifestyle November 26, 2015

"I had the misfortune to use your Prepopik for my procedure - and it failed to do what was intended, clean my colon. I followed the Instructions for Use to the letter. I wasted two days, one prepping for the procedure and one at the outpatient facility and now I must waste two more days when I reschedule. Fortunately, the outpatient facility has prescribed a different product for my repeat attempt. What a waste of time, money and emotion only to have to repeat! I wish there was a good way to let everyone know how bad this product is. I've complained to the physician's office, the outpatient facility, and the company - telling them what a worthless product this is. Only the outpatient facility seemed to understand my frustation."

KCMo (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2015

"I was so very scared of this prep. I was supposed to do my colonoscopy months ago but was first prescribed a gallon jug of crap you mix with lemonade. That suff was so bad I couldn't swallow a sip! Tasted like salty lemonade,very gross. My Dr then sent me to a private Drs office. The office gave me a sample (was enough meds for the prep) of Preponik,cranberry flavor. I had anxiety over taking this med. I took first dose in one gulp,it wasn't good but was not horrible! I freaked myself out for nothing. It cleared me out and didn't give bad side effects. Don't be afraid of this,it's the easiest option I've been given and it worked!!"

Cali girl (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2015

"I was prescribed Prepopik to take before a colonoscopy. I took the first dose at 6PM and drank 5 8oz. glasses of water over the next couple of hours. The medicine didn't start working until 11PM. Only went to the bathroom 3 times and it didn't completely clean the colon. I was instructed to take the 2nd dose at 5AM the following morning . I took it at 4AM given how long it took to work the evening prior. I took the 2nd dose followed by 3 8oz. glasses of water over the next hour. Medicine finally kicked in around 8AM. Again, only had to go to the bathroom twice but it was finally all yellow liquid. Went for the colonoscopy and it seemed to go well. Started evacuating more Prepopik after going home. Would not recommend Prepopik."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

"I thought it was super easy, didn't have any nausea or cramping. Was fearing worst and it cleaned me out by 3 am. Expensive at $50 but covered by my HS card."

Bizywmn (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2015

"What a waste of time and money! Easiest prep I've ever done, but no results for 13 hours after 1st dose, then took 2nd dose 6 hours before procedure and got no more results at all. Had to cancel procedure. Took 2 more days to get the Prepopik out of my system! Now I get to go back and discuss alternative preps and do it all over again."

lvdogma (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2015

"The stuff is nuclear. I hated it but it cleaned me out big time. Second dose gave me huge headache, nausea, dry heaves, dizziness, and sweats and chills and fear. I was totally cleaned out. Third colonoscopy but first and last time on this."

Bridget12 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

"3rd colonoscopy. Cost $65 after insurance! First dose at 6pm. Very palatable. Drank 5 cups liquid as instructed. Medicine started working within an hour, but the trips were very spaced out. By 10pm dose I was no where near "running clear." Was supposed to drink 3 more cups by 12, but only managed 2. Still slow going - in bathroom every hour right up to procedure. Needless to say, I was exhausted. I told the doc I wasn't sure I was cleaned out but after the procedure she said it was ok (and I'm cleared for 5 yrs!) But - terrible cramps after procedure. Asked husband to stay near because I thought I'd faint from pain. And 24 hrs after dose 1 I'm still prepping. Food is going right through me. Never again. Drink tons of water if you try it."

Thebeta (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2015

"I've tired them all and this one is by far the best!"

Jen831 October 3, 2015

"First time colonoscopy, so can not compare other preps. Took the first dose at 4pm, followed by five 8 oz water till 9pm. This was gentle enough. Took the second dose at 9pm followed by three 8 oz of water till midnight. Around 2:30 am I woke up with extreme abdominal cramping. Had bowel movements, went to stand up and dizzy, hot and laid down on the floor with very hard abdominal cramping. Got a pillow and laid on the tile floor because I was too sick to return to bed. Also had small amount of vomiting during this time. The doctor said I was clean for procedure, but won't be taking this again for a prep unless they do something for the horrible cramping."

Hartnurse August 18, 2015

"Though I followed the instructions exactly, this did not work for me. Sadly I have to repeat my colonoscopy in 2 months. It's unfortunate because it was much easier than the other preps I've been through."

babs25709 July 20, 2015

"My doctor prescribed Prepopik in preparation for my fourth colonoscopy; prior preps used were ducolax and magnesium citrate per my doctor's instructions which always worked well. The prepopik did not and, in fact, I went through all of the steps to the "T", i.e., no solid food the day prior, first packet at 4 with five 8 oz. cups of water; second packet at 8 with three 8 oz cups of water. I thought the regimen worked but to my (and the doctor's) amazement, after the start of the colonoscopy too much stool was discovered in my body and the colonoscopy could not be performed. UNBELIEVABLE; and for this I paid $50 and my insurance company paid $52. Would never recommend it."

JustKev June 12, 2015

"This a very small quantity prep. I just reduced solid intake 48 hours. I had breakfast - mostly protein and started prep 5pm that day. Much easier to take using straw - I drank seven 8oz drinks over 3-4 hours - everytime I went to bathroom, I drank 8oz. I did not notice severe cramps etc. Second prep was harder and I only took four 8oz drinks. My last visit to bathroom was clear. Happy with this product..."

IR March 25, 2015

"I took the Prepopik for my first colonoscopy (I'm 25) and I found it to be very effective. The orange flavor was very tolerable. I had no bad cramps or terrible side effects with it, but I had taken magnesium citrate the night before and that had already cleaned me out somewhat. My only issue was I ended up so dehydrated that I showed up to my colonoscopy with a fever. Try to drink as much fluid as you can with this prep! I drank plenty, but there was more liquid coming out of me than going in. Overall, I would recommend the Prepopik. On a side note, my insurance didn't cover it, but the office I go to had it available. I recommend asking your office if they have it available if insurance won't cover it at the pharmacy."

skinnygirl March 14, 2015

More about Prepopik (citric acid / magnesium oxide / sodium picosulfate)

Professional resources