User Reviews for Prepopik

Learn more about Prepopik.

Prepopik Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Bowel Preparation.

Reviews for Prepopik to treat Bowel Preparation

"A friend told me about this and after picking up GoLightly, I called my doctor who said they don't prescribe because of cost. I was expecting up to $150 and even though I only paid $36, I would have paid $150. The only issue I had was it took 4.5 hours to begin working. It was so easy, that I thought I wasn't cleaned out enough!!! My dr recommended taking it at 2PM and 6PM, then 1/2 bottle of magnesium citrate at 8PM. By 11:30, I was done ad had a good rest. Others recommended dulcolax ahead of time, but my doctor didn't. Compared to my last experience 10 years ago (Oral Fleet ?, which was taken off the market and disgusting), the last of Prepopik was a pleasure...tasted like Tang. It was a slow prep, but it did the job!!!"

DJinLC May 20, 2016

"Most horrible prep imaginable. Hardly any substance passing just caustic yellow fluid. My skin is raw and bleeding. I will never have another colonoscopy, ever."

hellish May 13, 2016

"If I could give this rating a zero I would. A total waste of $120.00. Took both doses and nothing happened but I felt bloated. Thank goodness I had an oral bottle of Fleet's Phospho Soda in the house. It did the trick."

Pharmacist also May 5, 2016

"Used Prepopik for the first time. I must say it worked very well for me. First dose and I was on the commode in less than 45 minutes. The amount that you need to take is not bad and the taste is tolerable. Before the second dose four hours later I began to fell nauseated which lasted through the second dose making it very hard to drink the additional required amount of clear liquids. I fought the urge to vomit for about 5 or 6 hours but managed to keep it down. Overall I was satisfied when my doctor told me my colon was very clean from the prep. I will be a little anxious the next time if I use Prepopik because of the extreme nausea."

JoeNJ May 2, 2016

"Medicare does not cover this product so I had to pay $130.00 at the pharmacy for 2 paks of laxative powder. Very over priced."

Anonymous May 2, 2016

"I am 65 and have had 7 colonoscopies in the past. For my procedure last month, I was prescribed Prepopik for the first time. I am now a huge fan. Since there were some negative reviews, I did make a couple "enhancements" to the procedure to make sure it worked well. I was told I could have breakfast the day before, but chose not to. Instead, I took 4 Dulcolax pills to get things started. But the prep itself was like a miracle. All my previous preps have involved the equivalent of drinking a gallon of sea water. I knew big Pharma could do better, and it definitely has. The 5 ounces you drink has almost no taste. And then you can drink all the delicious clear liquids you want. EVERY OTHER PREP SHOULD BE OUTLAWED AS CRUEL."

PeterInSD April 27, 2016

"I am doing the prepopik for the first time. I've done the golitely and the miralax/Gatorade preps in the past. The prepopik is tolerable. It's only 5oz 2x so it's not too difficult. I started feeling it work within the first half hour of taking the first dose. My stool was clear a couple hours later. I took my 2nd dose 6 hours later as directed. It felt like I was pooping fire. It was HORRIBLE take your breath away burning. I did remain clear yellow though. The biggest struggle for me was drinking the at least 24oz after the second dose. I couldn't take in anymore liquid. My stomach was a mess. I had mild cramping tons of gurgling and a very uncomfortable digestion feeling. This prep wasn't worse than any of the others."

Ksquared April 15, 2016

"I have to have scopes yearly, so I've tried several different types of preps. After trying Prepopik, I will never use anything else! It's the only thing that doesn't make me nauseous and also not having do drink much of it to get the job done is awesome! I will say that you have to make sure that the solution gets warm before drinking it, or it won't work as well. I think the frustration comes from people not reading the directions. :) Prepopik is amazing!"

Prepopik FOR THE WIN! April 9, 2016

"I had colorectal cancer at age 29 and have had several colonoscopies. I always drank the Golytely and it worked like a charm! I was prescribed this Prepopik and NOTHING happened. I had one small BM and had to reschedule my procedure. Waste of my time and money! Next time I will poor lemonade mix in my Golytely to have a successful cleanse. I will never use Prepopik again!"

Don't Prepopik! March 29, 2016

"This is the first time using Preopik. Initially a little surprised it cost $45 with good insurance. I have Chron's disease and this is the 4th scope in 3 years. Have been on clear liquids all the day before. Took the first dose at 5pm as instructed and already have all liquid stool. Not the usual cramping and horrible urgency as with Gatorade and Miralax. Also does not feel like acid coming out! So far very pleased with the results! Not too excited for the 2am dose but hopefully it won't be too bad!"

Hmm717 (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

"1pm procedure Tuesday, so clear liquid fast Monday with 1st prep at 5pm, followed by a relatively quick 50oz of Gatorade and ginger ale. An hour later, was working like a charm. Was fine by bedtime at 11. Took prep 2 at 730am with 24oz of tea and Gatorade. Took an hour again to get going. Very effective stuff."

PreppedOut (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

"I wish I would've read this group prior to starting my prep. I've had Crohn's Disease for 19 years and have had numerous colonoscopies. Currently, I'm in good health and my colonoscopy tomorrow (hopefully is just routine. Preponik sounded promising. Less nasty liquid to drink. Hooray. Except that I drank magnesium citrate at 7pm last night and Preponik at 9am and 4pm with more than the recommended amount of clear fluids and hardly anything has happened. It's now 6:15pm and I just talked to my GI and had to drink an extra bottle of magnesium citrate (a fleet enema doesn't clear our the upper colon). If it doesn't clear out by 2am, I can't do the colonoscopy tomorrow. Seriously?!"

Frustrated Patient (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2016

"Easy and covered by my insurance."

Dpw5647 (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2016

"By far the best tasting and smallest amount to drink ... Twice 5oz that's it , taste even better when mixed with apple juice"

Zigi (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2016

"I cannot believe I had to pay $148 bucks for this! Medicare part D didnt cover it...so the pharmacy called the Dr to let him know which ones they DID cover- but know-he said this was "the best". So I stopped eating 24 hrs before colonoscopy. Nothing but water/chicken broth/ apple juice. Trust me I have taken milk of magnesia and had 100% better results! When I told the Dr that I didn't feel my colon was cleansed enough they went ahead and did it anyways...anything for a buck! Of course he said he couldn't finish and only got the lower bowel-Duh! Next time I will do my own cleanse! This is just a shame knowing he got a kickback from pharmaceutical company!"

Mel333333 February 29, 2016

"61 yr old male, 3rd colonoscopy, 1st time for prepopik - $40 after insurance. Followed all product instructions. 1st dose @ 6pm, 2nd dose @ 11pm for a 7am procedure. Taste is very mild & easy to swallow. For my liquids, alternated sprite, Gatorade, apple juice, and beef broth. Also alternated lemon, pineapple, and lime jello when hungry (allowable per instructions). Several hrs for 1st action, then sporadic trips as needed. Actually slept in bed from 2:30-5:00am. No cramps, nausea, dizziness, fever, huge gas explosions, or other ugly side effects (other than normal burning and raw feeling). Highly recommend moist wipes. Color was eventually pale brown/bright yellow before leaving home @ 5:30 (never clear). Colon photos were clean & clear."

jaybird54 February 24, 2016

"I am 52 with Crohn's Disease; this was my 5th colonoscopy in 7.5 years:( I have no constipation issues. Being my first time using the Prepopik, I followed it to the letter. I am grateful, because 5.5 hours after the initial prep and limited success, I found this page. I followed some suggestions on here and set my alarm for 4 a.m. It was clear the results weren't enough. The dr. called me back on his way to the hospital and gave me the option of rescheduling (NO!) or coming in early for an enema, which worked enough to have the prep. I also had a good report. However, at 9 p.m. I had THE WORST INTENSITY of the prep after eating 2 meals. Dr. seemed to think I was rare and the 82% success rate was better than many other preps:("

Meg Ann R February 20, 2016

"I have a colonoscopy every three years so this isn't my first rodeo! I have successfully used Golytely and Suprep in the past. This time, the nurse wrote a script for Prepopik. I was on clear liquids the day before the scheduled colonoscopy. At 8pm I consumed the first packet of Prepopik mixed with 5 oz of water and chased it within 2 hours of 50 oz of water. I waited and waited but felt nothing, not even a little toot! At 4am I took the second packet mixed with 5 oz of water. I chased it with 24 oz of water within an hour. I waited again but felt nothing until 7:30am when I had a very small movement. My stool never cleared more than normal diarrhea. I was forced to cancel my 10:30 am colonoscopy appointment. Never again!"

011 February 20, 2016

"Prepopik is HORRIBLE. If your doctor recommends it (which it seems like they are because people like the idea you only have to drink 5 oz two times) it does not work! I took it at 5pm as instructed, drank more than the amount of water instructed, and did not have a bowel movement until 10pm---it was normal, and then only until 1am did it seem to be working, but just that one time. Then I started it 2 hours earlier than instructed the next morning since I knew it took a long time to work....4 hours later, still nothing. I had to call the doctor and they said to go get an enema or else my procedure would be cancelled. Imagine going through all that prep for no procedure!! Prepopik was the WORST colon prep I have ever used."

Jane1989 February 18, 2016

"I did pass a bowel but not too much. I hope it was enough to get good results on my procedure"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

"This was my 4th colonoscopy. For the first three I used Suprep. Not the most pleasant thing I have ever tasted but sure did the trick. For my colonoscopy today my surgeon recommended Prepopik. Followed the instructions to the T. Drank the first 5 ounces at 6:00 p.m. and the second dose at 5:00 a.m. as instructed. Procedure was at 10:00 a.m. Used the bathroom at the Center where my test was being done. BM was liquid but dark brown. Seemed unusual to me. Told my anesthesiologist and my surgeon and they assured me I would be fine. 30 minutes later I was awake and was told they couldn't perform the test because my colon was "too dirty". I wasn't shocked. What a waste of my time and theirs. Need to go back in a few weeks. Do NOT use Prepopik!"

Mark280 February 5, 2016

"After only 1 day of a liquid diet I was nervous but overall it was a good experience compared to what I've read about! It was $40 w/ coupon that the doc gave me. It didn't taste bad & was easy to gulp down. I didn't have any bad side effects(*Use baby Wipes!) It did take 6 hours for it to begin working (started 6:30pm it began 11:45pm) but the nurse told me that was normal esp. if you experience constipation. I only got 3 hours of sleep because I was constantly having to go. It ended just in time for the procedure at 9:30 am- toilet bowl was clear & yellow like pee. I had a last minute urge to go right before my procedure began too but the nurse said that was normal. I wish I had started the 1st dose earlier. Procedure went smooth; results good"

23 yrs old. First colonoscopy February 4, 2016

"I followed the instructions on the product. My Gastro suggested that I take four other laxatives, two days before my procedure and two the night before, followed by the Prepopik prep. I drank twice the recommended water and still I had a 'dirty' colon. I knew, even before the procedure that I wasn't clean and informed the doctor. He told me that I was right... If I knew it before he did, this is not the stuff for me!!"

Private Dancer February 2, 2016

"Didn't work at all. Don't use, especially if you have issues with constipation. Tastes good, but what a waste. The other stuff, the REAL stuff tastes awful but works."

69Brooke January 19, 2016

"This was the biggest waste of time and money. Had to reschedule my procedure due to this product not working at all. I've used other preps in the past with success and this one was a complete waste."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2016

Page 1 2 3 Next

More about Prepopik (citric acid / magnesium oxide / sodium picosulfate)

Professional resources