User Reviews for Baclofen

Also known as: Gablofen, Kemstro, Lioresal, Lioresal Intrathecal

Learn more about Baclofen.

Baclofen Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal.

Reviews for Baclofen to treat Alcohol Withdrawal

"Baclofen saved my life. I had been drinking and drugging and other addictions for thirty five years and after a few mos getting dosage correct w occasional relapse, I am now booze free. It is a miracle. You must fight through the side effects (sleepiness, lethargy, etc) as it will eventually work. I now take it five times/ day total 225mg but will slowly reduce now that have reached 'threshold' (Amiesen). I had tried years of AA, rehab, moving to alcohol free countries, yoga, meditation, extreme fitness routines, years of therapy; nothing worked. Several DUIs, lost jobs, marriages, relationships.. And then, Baclofen! Thank you Dr. Amiesen,, I love you!"

former drunk (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2016

"I hadvery unpleasant side-effects but persevered because I was desperate to stop drinking. Started on low dose Sept 2014 and built it up till I stopped drinking altogether - effortlessly - 11 Dec 2014. I have not taken Baclofen since then (though strongly advise to reduce dose gradually as withdrawal symptoms extremely unpleasant and dangerous) and have had no desire to drink since - just relief that I am free of this addiction! If this treatment could be recognised and prescribed in the UK it would save much suffering but it is a very powerful drug and should be used with care."

Dankbaarheid January 2, 2016

"Alcoholism - I was cured. I went up to 330mg per day. My maintenance dose is 180mg per day."

j victor martin (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 2, 2016

"Unbelievable this medicine changed my life, I've been struggling to get sober for the past three years, rehab after rehab, always thinking I can control it this time, or that some how this time will be different, I now celebrate 6 months of total SOBreity, I've seen reviews of people saying that it makes them drink normal and I am way to scared to try that, I've become to involved with AA to want to change my sober date. But who know maybe one day."

Joey kul December 21, 2015

"Immediately took away those out of control thoughts of must have a drink NOW. Am on 30mgs only at night. Has stopped me drinking 1- 2 bottles white wine every second day. Can choose to drink occasionally socially if I want. Clearer calmer mind and less general body aches and pains. No more need for daily panadol. My doctor is monitoring my progress closely and I am generally happier calmer and more confident in achieving a healthier lifestyle in time. It is all so amazing not to have to fight that craving which I always gave into to calm my mind. Giving into it would make me sick every day. No more drunk means no more sick hangover. Baclofen has released me from the "drink, repent, repeat" horrible cycle alcohol had me doing. Grateful."

pinkumbrella (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2015

"I am a 38 year old woman who has abused alcohol since 2004. I've been taking Baclofen (90mg/day) for one year and it has been a huge game changer in my struggles with alcohol. It has decreased cravings, general anxiety and overall alcohol consumption. I have not upped the dose to hit "the switch" that, for many, results in total indifference to alcohol. Along with my psychiatrist, I am uncomfortable exceeding the FDA recommended dosage by so much. But even so, this drug has really helped improve my life."

baclofenuser (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 25, 2015

"It is a fact baclofen took away my craving for alcohol. I am an alcoholic. It is amazing because I had no intention of quitting alcohol. I looked forward to 5 o%u2019clock so I could have a few drinks. The alcohol provided better pain relief than the hydrocodone. With the baclofen I just don%u2019t need alcohol for my pain and have no desire for alcohol. I have a friend that flat out died from alcohol abuse. I wish I%u2019d known about Baclofen. How many alcoholics would quit drinking if they could? More doctors and psychologists need to know about baclofen for alcoholism,This medication can save lives, It%u2019s going to save my liver for sure after many years of nightly drinking.I learned about baclofen and alcoholism first by experiencing it not reading it"

Iceman Jim (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2015

"I managed to pull a muscle in my back during a particularly long binge. Was prescribed Baclofen for the muscle spasm/to help healing, but its major benefit was in the control of the shakes and sweats I normally get when I sober up at the end of a binge. I could barely write my name on the doctor's form before taking this, afterwards the shakes and sweats were almost totally gone. I took one more 10mg pill before bed and slept soundly for 10 hours straight (normally I get persecution dreams and wake with leg/arm kicks, or just lie there in a pool of sweat). This ought to be prescribed for alcohol withdrawal as a matter of course. (I took 2 10mg tables about 4 hours apart, the last one just prior to going to bed)."

Bingo24 September 21, 2015

"Excellent for alcohol abuse, Never take too much on ur first time. Start out low dose and slowly work up. You should not mix weed, sedative, coricidin or any drugs while working up. I now take 10 mg 4x a day. Used properly it a miracle medicine for alcoholism!"

Anonymous September 11, 2015

"Works very well to stop cravings for alcohol. After about 6 months it made me extremely depressed - too depressed to keep taking it even though it was keeping me from drinking. Disappointing, hence the 5 stars. However, just 1 star for me personally because of the depression caused."

Max B (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2015

"I have been taking this medication and have abstained from alcohol for over a year!"

Conniebv August 7, 2015

"After reading about the use of Baclofen to treat alcoholism, I asked my CPN if I could be treated with this drug. She referred me to the only psychiatrist/doctor in my county who was allowed to prescribe Baclofen for alcohol. After being an alcoholic for sixteen years, and having tried everything available to stop drinking, I can tell you that I have now been alcohol free for five and a half years. This is a miracle drug. What I find inexplicable, is the fact that only people who do their own research, find out about this drug, and have to ask for it. With alcoholism such a massive problem world-wide, why is this drug not the standard treatment. I fear the government stands to lose too much in taxes if people could stop drinking so easily."

Tyneparker (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 21, 2015

"It's very strange feeling getting rid of craving so easy. For last 5 years I've tried different techniques to stop drinking. I drank 2 to 4 strong beers a day and I couldn't stop it for longer then few days. I'm still thinking about having a beer but ( I can't explain it ) but I just don't HAVE TO! I'm taking minimal dose 5mg x 3 per day and it's working. ONE IMPORTANT THING: You have to be willing to stop drinking."

Anon77 March 30, 2015

"This medication work miracles in alcohol addiction."

terees February 24, 2015

"I've not drank alcohol for 4 days. I've have been drinking between 1.5 bottles to 2 bottles of wine for the past 1-2 years and finally decided to stop. I stopped three days ago and was worried I would have severe withdrawals however since taking Baclofen I have been absolutely fine (started on a dose of 10mg and gone up to 30mg but this depends on your dependency on alcohol). I have been thinking of alcohol lots which is expected but I'm been sleeping better than when I do drink (as I normally wake up at 3am with extreme anxiety or worries in my life) and now don't feel any anxiety. I'm determined to stay on this path and feel proud of myself already. I would recommend study on the web and look at all sorts of alternatives remedies."

Sue2014 January 4, 2015

"I had worked with Veterans who used to have back problems and had been on muscle relaxants. They had been using alcohol for years. I used to substitute the much stronger muscle relaxants with Baclofen with their Primary Care Doctors approval. Results were great! My patients had double benefts: back pain/ spasm control and Alcohol consumption control.Some of them stop drinking , other continued use alcohol socially without problems,discovering the life again. I am happy hearing that people find Baclofen being helpful. Good luck to guys. Merry Christmas and Happy 2015!"

Retired Psychiatrist (taken for 10 years or more) December 8, 2014

"I have been fighting alcoholism since my early teens, detoxed by myself, and was dry for 12 years until last March. After two months of serious binge drinking, I ended up in A&E when I decided to detox once again without any suitable medication support. They provided me Diazepam and I cleaned up again, but it only lasted for three months. The vicious circle is much harder to break as you get older. However, now, on Baclofen, I feel a tremendous improvement and do not feel the urge to drink. Indeed, the medicine worked amazingly well from the very beginning of the treatment. However, do address underlying psychological issues, as the medicine is not a magic bullet."

J_Nemo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2014

"I am going into an outpatient detox programme on Monday, Baclofen has given me the confidence to maintain sobriety after the detox. It's not the be all and end all but for me it really is helping."

garzoid (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2014

"I read about Baclofen in Dr. Ameisen's book regarding the use of Baclofen for Alcoholics. I am a long recovered alcoholic but have struggled with opiate addiction for 5 years. After an accidental heroin overdose from which I was very near death, having needed IV Narcan because 8 doses of the Narcan Spray did not work, I followed up with my PCP 2 days later. I brought up the fact that I had been clean prior to this short relapse and therefore did not want replacement therapy such as Suboxone, Subutex or Methadone since I had no physical dependency & I told him about the Baclofen and asked if he would consider giving it to me as a last resort. I have been 100% Clean ever since. This needs to be studied further and utilized to save lives!"

ehh80 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2014

"I had been alcohol free for 4 months since I started taking baclofen. I have degenerative lumbar scoliosis and have other obsessions (shopping, etc.). I increased the dosage quite quickly to 90 mg but got euphoria even hypomania and enuresis (bed wetting)on 2 occasions which disturbed me. I have now reduced to 62.5mg. I am still alcohol free (attending 4AA meetings a week). My thoughts have slowed down, no enuresis now and absolutely NO anxiety, no back pain, no shopping. Still only sleeping 5 hours but very calm and alert."

Jezza53 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2013

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Great medication, takes away alcohol cravings and you can still drink socially, easy to stop after a binge, at 150mg/day adjust according to needs."

TheIceMan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2013

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was suffering from alcohol addiction all my adult life (I'm now 47) and in the last few years alcohol abuse increased to bottle of Scotch every day. It cost me my family (divorce) which I deeply regret every single day now. Finally I went to First Step Drug & Alcohol clinic with a little hope and Dr. J.G prescribe me Baclofen 10mg tablets once or twice a day. When I've looked up the dictionary where it says this medicine is used for sclerosis treatment only. But: Baclofen created a miracle: I went through pain of withdrawal with great ease and didn't have cravings and stop drinking. After few months I started drinking beer. I went to my GP and he refused to prescribe Baclofen to me on basis he knows nothing about Baclofen to help alcoholics."

akogan April 8, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Lioresal (baclofen): "Baclofen is a miracle for alcohol and addiction."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2012

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine helped me to stop drinking almost immediately. I started on 200mg every 2 hrs and am now on 1200mg every 6 hrs. It is a miracle pill! I advise any alcoholic to try it!"

Anonymous March 3, 2012

"I am in my late 30's and have struggled with alcohol since I was in high school. In one way or another, I can connect alcohol to every major problem I have had in my adult life. Whether it has been interpersonal, financial, legal, or health related - alcohol has been the source of my troubles all throughout my adult life. About one year ago I was prescribed Baclofen to help with my sciatica. Little did I know that this medicine is also prescribed for alcohol withdrawal. Without even being conscious of it, or putting in any effort into quitting drinking, I just stopped. The cravings just vanished and before I knew it I had gone a few weeks without a drop. I have been on it since and have never had a craving in all that time."

BusyBuzzkill December 28, 2011

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate