Baclofen use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Baclofen: Lioresal, Gablofen, Kemstro, Lioresal Intrathecal
Baclofen Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Limited information indicates that baclofen has low levels in milk and would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants, especially if the infant is older than 2 months. Monitor newborn infants for signs of sedation.
Maternal Levels. A women with spastic paraplegia was given a single oral 20 mg dose of baclofen 14 days postpartum. A peak milk level of about 130 mcg/L occurred 4 hours after the dose. The half-life in milk was 5.6 hours.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
An infant was born after exposure to baclofen in utero. The mother was taking baclofen 10 mg twice daily plus clonazepam 1 mg orally twice daily and sustained-release oxycodone 50 mg daily in divided doses. The infant was breast and bottle fed while the mother continued taking baclofen. Neonatal withdrawal symptoms necessitated phenobarbital administration. The infant also received baclofen 0.5 mg/kg daily in 4 divided doses that was weaned and decreased by day 9 of life. Neurologic examination was normal at discharge on day 16 and at 6-weeks of age.
Possible Effects on Lactation
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
1. Eriksson G, Swahn CG. Concentration of baclofen in serum and breast milk from a lactating woman. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 1981;41:185-7. PMID: 7313501
2. Moran LR, Almeida PG, Worden S et al. Intrauterine baclofen exposure: a multidisciplinary approach. Pediatrics. 2004;114:e267-9. PMID: 15286268
CAS Registry Number
- GABA Agonists
- Muscle Relaxants, Central
LactMed Record Number
Information from the National Library of Medicine's LactMed Database.
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
- Baclofen use during Pregnancy
- Baclofen Consumer Information
- Breastfeeding Support Group
- Safe Medications during Breastfeeding
- Medicine use while Breastfeeding
- Medicine use during Pregnancy