User Reviews for Adderall

Learn more about Adderall.

Adderall review summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Adderall to treat ADHD

Review by JackOreilly:

This pill definitely keeps me focused.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 11:19 PM

Review by Missme33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Took XR but IR is a little heavy for me. Now I split my meds in half 5mg 2-3 times a day. Duration seems better than XR. I take lamictal as well. IR helps me get more done but I don't feel personally that the good outweigh the bad. I have reached a norm. Weight. I eat healthier I look healthier. And I take better care of my body. At first - dry skin slightly, hyper focused (my body did not know how to react) I smelT AWFUL at first! Haha I sweat it out ew! I can't find this side effect anywhere. It can take a toll if you don't take care of your body. Stay healthy.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2014 11:47 AM

Review by the kid902 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was 23 when I was diagnosed with ADHD. Started Adderall, I take 30 mg of SR a day and the difference is phenomenal! I get up with ease because I know I can tackle all tasks with astounding motivation and actually enjoy doing tedious work. I am co-morbid with anxiety, rumination, and I was highly neurotic. I found myself aggressive, quick tempered, and easily abusing marijuana and alcohol. This all changed with Adderall, I am rational, reflect on situations in a positive light, and generally just a more helpful and kind person. Adderall completely saved my professional and personal life. Side note, it can cause erectile dysfunction but it will go away after your body is used to the cycle.

September 8, 2014 1:37 AM

Review by Drew4890:

It works but I think it might be the effect from having extra energy so you do more things. It definitely helps with motivation and depression. Ironically it got rid of my anxiety as well.

August 27, 2014 6:38 PM

Review by Thankful OldGuy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking Adderall for two years and it has probably saved my life. I had been misdiagnosed as bi-polar with no co-morbid ADHD, and was prescribed benzodiazepines and anti-depressants. I eventually became suicidal when Abilify was added,and was lucky enough to have a moment of clarity and changed doctors and hospital affiliates. The week I was started on ADHD meds, I started to become the person I should be. I only wish I could have been diagnosed as a child, I feel I missed half my education. I can now focus all day, keep a train of thought long enough to finish mundane to complex tasks, and have written and recorded an album of music that had been completed but in disarray. No side effects, no weight loss or changes in eating habits.

August 20, 2014 1:57 AM

Review by I'm off the couch (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This medicine has improved my life significantly allowing me to have significantly improved ability to concentrate on task at hand vs never completing a task but jumping from one to another. Unsure sadly though, may no longer be able to afford it. Insurance changed to only high deductible HSA. No other options.

July 21, 2014 6:55 PM

Review by Soulsaviver (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Adderall has been a blessing to me. I take 30mg twice a day and my thinking has become so much more clear. I am now able to pay attention and absorb what is going on around me. I have had no negative side effects except for an occasional night where it might take me an extra 30 minutes to fall asleep. I still have a healthy appetite since taking Adderall. This medicine has made my life so much better.

July 8, 2014 6:52 PM

Review by Joe King:

I have ran the gauntlet of ADD meds, starting with Concerta then tried Vyvance which worked well in the beginning, then my Dr switched to Adderall XR, then to I R, which works best for me I take 20mg twice a day definitely helps with non stop thinking, racing thoughts, and just simply getting motivated. I have been on the IR for about a year and the highs are finally outweighing the lows. 39 years old and can see light at the end of the tunnel.

July 6, 2014 11:27 AM

Review by Evan S (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 6 yrs old and pretty much just learned to deal with it until age 14. When I started 8th grade, my parents put me on the meds and I absolutely love it! I'm so much more successful! Plus I feel better about myself as a person. I don't know how I went all those years without it. Its definitely made my life better.

June 22, 2014 11:15 PM

Review by nikko34 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Should have started with Adderall at first. My eight year old son is doing good.

June 5, 2014 6:10 PM

Review by RyGuy v2:

When I was diagnosed with ADHD in the 3rd grade they put me on Adderall and then I became a person I was not. I had social anxiety but got exceptionally good grades in school where others failed. Adderall changes your personality and was the worst 12 years of my life, I had no friends because engaging in conversation was nearly impossible. It traps your thoughts in a prison of your mind and suppresses any creativity.

May 14, 2014 10:57 PM

Review by G money:

It's great grades came up from straight F's to B & C's.

March 13, 2014 2:50 PM

Review by 2nd chance at life:

I always knew I was different from everyone else. I was very quiet and shy. But in my mind I couldn't shut up. My mind was loud. In class I could never stop fidgeting, playing with my hair, scratching an itch, doodling on notebooks. I wondered why nobody else squirmed around like me. At 24 I was diagnosed with ADD. Adderall is life changing. I'm finally normal. I feel like everyone else. My mind is at ease. I am in charge of my thoughts. I can have genuine conversations with people without my mind wondering. I am finally happy after years of struggles. I am organized and more peaceful.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by streetdoc85 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Very effective in treating ADHD.

February 18, 2014 11:54 AM

I have been taking it for several years. There was a time about a year ago when all the Pharmacies could not get any and I went about a month without. Being a Service Advisor, I deal with a lot of numbers (Vin, License Plates, etc.). After a few days without, I started reversing a lot of the numbers. I would see the correct order but would say out loud or write down a reversed version. I had to go slower and double check what I had written. A positive side effect is it gets me off the couch on the day(s) I have off and motivates me to get stuff done around the house that needs to be done. It kept me up at night at first, but after awhile, I learned not to take it too late in the day. I would recommend it to anyone who has ADHD.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 28, 2014 2:46 PM

Review by simbo:

It was like a light bulb went on in my brain.

January 25, 2014 2:59 PM

Review by SamIAm420 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lost about 60 pounds, was a bit concerned, and I had to force myself to eat sometimes.

December 21, 2013 7:33 PM

Review by pnj89 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've taken Adderall for 2 years. The first 6 months, worked very well. Balanced me out, kept me focused & side effects were minimal. But, the efficiency of Adderall has really gone down in my experience. I often find myself hyper focusing on things I don't need to & the side effects have gotten much worse. Insomnia, horrible dry mouth (= more cavities), I get antsy & shaky at times & I also feel I've become dependent on it. Next doctors appointment, I will be asking to switch out to something else. Its a good medicine at first, but understand that many of the great reviews are likely written by newer Adderall users.

November 25, 2013 3:43 PM

Review by emie_13:

Keeps you focused. However when it wears off I can't sleep till 6 hours later.

November 21, 2013 4:30 AM

Review by Jenn95:

I liked how focused it made me however if I was agitated it made it worse

October 29, 2013 3:19 PM

Review by joeyy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Hyper focused, dry mouth. Both this and Straterra put me into state of manic. Used Depakote 750mg for mental balance.

October 12, 2013 7:13 PM

Review by skittles1215:

I've taken Vyvanse extended release and Adderall extended release. I didn't like the mood swings and irritability I suffered when they would wear off. My doctor has since put me on Adderall immediate release 30 milligram tablets twice a day. I've taken these tablets for 2 years now and love that I can focus and I am not having mood swings or irritable at all. I have experienced dry mouth and some jitters as well as trouble sleeping. I take Ambien to sleep and it is no longer an issue. I have to take a vitamin supplement due to a huge weight loss though. I was over weight when I started Adderall and now am at a healthy weight and maintaining that weight without issue.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2013 5:20 PM

Review by RedFiona:

After 37 years of knowing something wasn't right with my brain, I was diagnosed with ADHD, Inattentive Type in grad school and was prescribed Adderall. Where do I start??? This medication literally changed my life. Imagine being a "gifted" kid who eventually could barely pass middle school math - that's me. After a lifetime of compensating for my "slow processing," hiding my disorganization, and pretending to be on the same page with everyone else, this explains everything. Adderall has made a NIGHT AND DAY difference in my motivation level, what I understand and follow, and even my mood/emotional reactivity. In a word, amazing. If I ever meet the people who "discovered" Adderall, I'm kissing them - my husband agrees.

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2013 2:48 PM

Review by Cherrycher:

Finally I was diagnosed with ADD as an adult after struggling my whole life with ADD. I was put on Adderall and my life changed 100% for the better. I think this is a wonderful medication for those with ADD!

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2013 8:42 AM

Review by Jojomac57 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I'm a 57 year old male that has been clean and in recovery for ten years now. I have abstained from anything stronger than aspirin the whole time. Chronic pain had made it necessary to begin a closely monitored treatment schedule, but I was still losing a lot of focus on tasks at work and any motivation for anything but sleeping at home. After talking to the doctor we added 20mg Adderal 3 times a day. The difference has been amazing. I normally work pretty long hours and had been having trouble staying awake in the morning going to work and evenings going home. No more. Properly scheduling the doses keeps me active and focused my entire day. Didn't take long to find out that it increased energy and desire in other areas also. All others.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2013 12:26 AM