User Reviews for Adderall

Learn more about Adderall.

Adderall review summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Adderall to treat ADHD

Review by I'm off the couch (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This medicine has improved my life significantly allowing me to have significantly improved ability to concentrate on task at hand vs never completing a task but jumping from one to another. Unsure sadly though, may no longer be able to afford it. Insurance changed to only high deductible HSA. No other options.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 6:55 PM

Review by Soulsaviver (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Adderall has been a blessing to me. I take 30mg twice a day and my thinking has become so much more clear. I am now able to pay attention and absorb what is going on around me. I have had no negative side effects except for an occasional night where it might take me an extra 30 minutes to fall asleep. I still have a healthy appetite since taking Adderall. This medicine has made my life so much better.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 6:52 PM

Review by Joe King:

I have ran the gauntlet of ADD meds, starting with Concerta then tried Vyvance which worked well in the beginning, then my Dr switched to Adderall XR, then to I R, which works best for me I take 20mg twice a day definitely helps with non stop thinking, racing thoughts, and just simply getting motivated. I have been on the IR for about a year and the highs are finally outweighing the lows. 39 years old and can see light at the end of the tunnel.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2014 11:27 AM

Review by Evan S (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 6 yrs old and pretty much just learned to deal with it until age 14. When I started 8th grade, my parents put me on the meds and I absolutely love it! I'm so much more successful! Plus I feel better about myself as a person. I don't know how I went all those years without it. Its definitely made my life better.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 11:15 PM

Review by nikko34 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Should have started with Adderall at first. My eight year old son is doing good.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 5, 2014 6:10 PM

Review by RyGuy v2:

When I was diagnosed with ADHD in the 3rd grade they put me on Adderall and then I became a person I was not. I had social anxiety but got exceptionally good grades in school where others failed. Adderall changes your personality and was the worst 12 years of my life, I had no friends because engaging in conversation was nearly impossible. It traps your thoughts in a prison of your mind and suppresses any creativity.

May 14, 2014 10:57 PM

Review by G money:

It's great grades came up from straight F's to B & C's.

March 13, 2014 2:50 PM

Review by 2nd chance at life:

I always knew I was different from everyone else. I was very quiet and shy. But in my mind I couldn't shut up. My mind was loud. In class I could never stop fidgeting, playing with my hair, scratching an itch, doodling on notebooks. I wondered why nobody else squirmed around like me. At 24 I was diagnosed with ADD. Adderall is life changing. I'm finally normal. I feel like everyone else. My mind is at ease. I am in charge of my thoughts. I can have genuine conversations with people without my mind wondering. I am finally happy after years of struggles. I am organized and more peaceful.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by streetdoc85 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Very effective in treating ADHD.

February 18, 2014 11:54 AM

I have been taking it for several years. There was a time about a year ago when all the Pharmacies could not get any and I went about a month without. Being a Service Advisor, I deal with a lot of numbers (Vin, License Plates, etc.). After a few days without, I started reversing a lot of the numbers. I would see the correct order but would say out loud or write down a reversed version. I had to go slower and double check what I had written. A positive side effect is it gets me off the couch on the day(s) I have off and motivates me to get stuff done around the house that needs to be done. It kept me up at night at first, but after awhile, I learned not to take it too late in the day. I would recommend it to anyone who has ADHD.

January 28, 2014 2:46 PM

Review by simbo:

It was like a light bulb went on in my brain.

January 25, 2014 2:59 PM

Review by SamIAm420 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lost about 60 pounds, was a bit concerned, and I had to force myself to eat sometimes.

December 21, 2013 7:33 PM

Review by pnj89 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've taken Adderall for 2 years. The first 6 months, worked very well. Balanced me out, kept me focused & side effects were minimal. But, the efficiency of Adderall has really gone down in my experience. I often find myself hyper focusing on things I don't need to & the side effects have gotten much worse. Insomnia, horrible dry mouth (= more cavities), I get antsy & shaky at times & I also feel I've become dependent on it. Next doctors appointment, I will be asking to switch out to something else. Its a good medicine at first, but understand that many of the great reviews are likely written by newer Adderall users.

November 25, 2013 3:43 PM

Review by emie_13:

Keeps you focused. However when it wears off I can't sleep till 6 hours later.

November 21, 2013 4:30 AM

Review by Jenn95:

I liked how focused it made me however if I was agitated it made it worse

October 29, 2013 3:19 PM

Review by joeyy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Hyper focused, dry mouth. Both this and Straterra put me into state of manic. Used Depakote 750mg for mental balance.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 12, 2013 7:13 PM

Review by skittles1215:

I've taken Vyvanse extended release and Adderall extended release. I didn't like the mood swings and irritability I suffered when they would wear off. My doctor has since put me on Adderall immediate release 30 milligram tablets twice a day. I've taken these tablets for 2 years now and love that I can focus and I am not having mood swings or irritable at all. I have experienced dry mouth and some jitters as well as trouble sleeping. I take Ambien to sleep and it is no longer an issue. I have to take a vitamin supplement due to a huge weight loss though. I was over weight when I started Adderall and now am at a healthy weight and maintaining that weight without issue.

October 6, 2013 5:20 PM

Review by RedFiona:

After 37 years of knowing something wasn't right with my brain, I was diagnosed with ADHD, Inattentive Type in grad school and was prescribed Adderall. Where do I start??? This medication literally changed my life. Imagine being a "gifted" kid who eventually could barely pass middle school math - that's me. After a lifetime of compensating for my "slow processing," hiding my disorganization, and pretending to be on the same page with everyone else, this explains everything. Adderall has made a NIGHT AND DAY difference in my motivation level, what I understand and follow, and even my mood/emotional reactivity. In a word, amazing. If I ever meet the people who "discovered" Adderall, I'm kissing them - my husband agrees.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2013 2:48 PM

Review by Cherrycher:

Finally I was diagnosed with ADD as an adult after struggling my whole life with ADD. I was put on Adderall and my life changed 100% for the better. I think this is a wonderful medication for those with ADD!

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2013 8:42 AM

Review by Jojomac57 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I'm a 57 year old male that has been clean and in recovery for ten years now. I have abstained from anything stronger than aspirin the whole time. Chronic pain had made it necessary to begin a closely monitored treatment schedule, but I was still losing a lot of focus on tasks at work and any motivation for anything but sleeping at home. After talking to the doctor we added 20mg Adderal 3 times a day. The difference has been amazing. I normally work pretty long hours and had been having trouble staying awake in the morning going to work and evenings going home. No more. Properly scheduling the doses keeps me active and focused my entire day. Didn't take long to find out that it increased energy and desire in other areas also. All others.

September 21, 2013 12:26 AM

Review by Jason407:

I am prescribed Adderall XRs. I am only on 30 mg once a day and my Dr won't increase it. The medication definitely makes me motivated, have energy, and feel a nice since of well-being. I am concerned with a few side effects I get almost every time. I get numb on the left side of my neck and in my shoulder. I also get really cold feet and my toes look purple with very slow capillary refill. I also already had a sleep problem before all this, so my nights are always pretty restless.

September 20, 2013 10:09 PM

Review by Roofie91:

Great medication. I was doing tasks again and talking to people again. The only down side is I want something more 24hrs. The instant release tabs had peaks and after the peaks I would have massive anxiety and the same was with the extended release. It's a great medicine but not for me.

September 14, 2013 12:59 AM

Review by Ronanklan:

This is a great medicine for focus but it has a downside to it as well. It can cause chest pains. So you must be careful with usage.

July 29, 2013 9:50 AM

Review by Heff84 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Adderall in my opinion is a "Miracle"! I am prescribed the (IR) 30mg strength, three times a day. Adderall I feel has significantly improved my quality of life.

July 3, 2013 1:41 AM

Review by amlund (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I am almost 50 yr old female just, diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. In elementary school super bright but would finish my work quickly and disrupt the rest of the class. I was never considered hyper just a little "naughty" and disrupted. Now looking back as things in my life have become more disruptive as I age. Couldn't hold a job lately, drink too much etc. I have the Adderral now and that's great. However, when I read about it not working or it becomes less effective, I get nervous because I don't want to be that disruptive unemployable person. I met a Doctor who has ADD as well. He found that simple blood hormone test and restoring your levels can assist in using less medication, making the medication more effective and less side effects.

June 12, 2013 11:59 AM