Generic Name: benzonatate (ben-ZOE-na-tate)
Brand Name: Tessalon Perles
Tessalon Perles is used for:
Tessalon Perles is a nonnarcotic cough suppressant. It works in the airway and lungs to reduce the cough reflex. This helps to relieve cough.
Do NOT use Tessalon Perles if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Tessalon Perles or to related medicines (eg, procaine, tetracaine)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Tessalon Perles:
Some medical conditions may interact with Tessalon Perles. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have asthma
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Tessalon Perles. However, no specific interactions with Tessalon Perles are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Tessalon Perles may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Tessalon Perles:
Use Tessalon Perles as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Tessalon Perles by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow Tessalon Perles whole. Do not break, crush, chew, dissolve, or suck on Tessalon Perles before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of Tessalon Perles, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Tessalon Perles.
Important safety information:
- Tessalon Perles may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Tessalon Perles with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not break, crush, chew, dissolve, or suck on Tessalon Perles before swallowing. Numbness or tingling of the mouth, tongue, throat, or face may occur. Choking and severe allergic reactions (eg trouble breathing, shock, loss of consciousness) have also been reported. If numbness or tingling occurs, do not eat or drink until it goes away. If you have a severe allergic reaction or if you have numbness or tingling that persists or gets worse, seek medical attention right away.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Tessalon Perles should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 10 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Accidental ingestion of Tessalon Perles by CHILDREN younger than 10 years old has resulted in severe and sometimes fatal effects, including seizures, loss of consciousness, and heart attack (cardiac arrest). If a child younger than 10 years old swallows Tessalon Perles, he or she should receive medical attention right away.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of taking Tessalon Perles while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you take Tessalon Perles, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Tessalon Perles:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; headache; nasal congestion; nausea; upset stomach.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bizarre behavior; confusion; hallucinations.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include coma; heart attack (cardiac arrest); loss of consciousness; restlessness; seizures; severe drowsiness; tremors.Proper storage of Tessalon Perles:
Store Tessalon Perles at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed, child-resistant container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Tessalon Perles out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Tessalon Perles, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tessalon Perles is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Tessalon Perles or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Tessalon Perles. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Tessalon Perles. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Tessalon Perles.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Tessalon Perles (benzonatate)
- Other brands: Zonatuss