User Reviews for Mucinex

Learn more about Mucinex.

Fibromyalgia 31 reviews 72 medications

6.6
Bronchiectasis 0 reviews 141 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Mucinex reviews 57 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Mucinex

For Cough: I've been up for hours throwing up and diarrhea after taking this.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 20, 2014 6:28 AM

Review by jimbob 97683:

For Cough: After all the treatments I had from the doctor, nothing really suppressed the cough, which I have had for years. After taking Mucinex, my cough and the associated Phlegm has almost disappeared. I am a 74 yr old male but my side effects seem to be the opposite to others. i.e. I am doing more sleeping than normal, at any time night or day, but thank heavens for the cessation of cough.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by Poodle Mom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: Unbelievable is all I can say! I could not have doubted this more, but after suffering night after night with horrendous back pain, I sat up at 3am searching the internet for some herb or vitamin I had dismissed the 100 other times I had sat up on the night in pain. I thought it sounded ridiculous, but no more so than anything else I had tried. I started with 1200mg and have remained on that and I feel better than I have in years. I urge you to try this. It has changed my life!

October 5, 2014 10:28 PM

Review by gloe:

For Fibromyalgia: Couldn't believe it could be true but it was. Newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I read about Mucinex for fibromyalgia; read that it is a muscle relaxant and enhances the analgesic effect of aspirin and Tylenol; and is enhanced by magnesium. Went out and bought the 800 mg with 2 aspirin and some magnesium citrate, and it worked! The pain just seems to dissolve away. I continue to take 800mg (2, 400mg immediate release tablets) with aspirin and magnesium, three times a day, or 1200 mg twice a day.

September 19, 2014 1:25 PM

Review by komwill:

For Fibromyalgia: I was sick with sinus infection and was taking Mucinex. I thought to myself, I am going to be extra sore since I am home from work and resting more than usual because I was not feeling well. I was shocked when after taking Mucinex for a few days, my pain was gone. No more tender spots. My arms had been really bad lately and when I touched them, they were no longer sore. I had no idea of the connection at the time. I googled Mucinex and was amazed that I found studies that something for a cold could possibly help with fibromyalgia. I stopped taking it and the symptoms came back so I started taking it again. I take 2-3 400mg a day. I call this experience accidentally on purpose. It may not work for everyone as we're all different but its worth trying.

September 16, 2014 12:48 PM

Review by Dilli (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cough: The side effect was sleeplessness. First night, I was up until 4:00 AM, next night up until 07:00AM and again last night I could not sleep. I was taking the Mucinex as prescribed every 12 hours.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2014 3:58 PM

Review by Melody11728:

For Fibromyalgia: With moderate to severe fibromyalgia for 12 years I lost my career and lived in fear of having a life to avoid a flare-up. I have tried every antidepressant, serotonin uptake inhibitor, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory.... you all know, with major side effects that only contributed to fibromyalgia symptoms. March 2014 I got a cold and used Mucinex for the first time and could not believe the relief. I have prayed for someone to invent a NEW MEDICINE for fibromyalgia that would work and it turned out this OLD MEDICINE has returned my life to me. Thank God for Mucinex!

July 5, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by AmitPAmin:

For Fibromyalgia: I've tried dozens of therapies and medicines. Mucinex does better than them all. Since taking it, my pain levels have gone down by 90%. Mucinex doesn't work for everyone. But it's cheap and over the counter. What's the harm in trying? I wish a doctor or website had suggested I try it - would have saved me years of pain.

June 15, 2014 6:54 PM

Review by nina2:

For Fibromyalgia: I started using 1200mg 2x a day about 5 days ago and it really works. I can't believe it truly works.

May 19, 2014 1:12 PM

Review by Ninasell198:

For Fibromyalgia: I also take Mucinex and have since 2003. As I have read the reviews I have not read any mention of having to remove salicylates from all topical products. Been on Guiafenesin for 10 years and has helped me greatly.

March 20, 2014 11:05 PM

Review by Fibromel:

For Fibromyalgia: I had a terrible experience with Mucinex. I followed the protocol for just over 1 month hoping to feel some relief but I felt really heavy, like I had a bad flu, and had worse pain. I think most people are experiencing relief so give it a shot; it just didn't help me.

March 20, 2014 2:16 PM

Review by SaraJF (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: I took Mucinex for a bad case of bronchitis. It worked very well and I was finally able to stop coughing and start breathing again. The only problem was that it interfered with my sleep. I was awake most of the night and was not tired the next day. I had to quit taking it.

March 4, 2014 6:07 AM

Review by melroseave:

For Bronchitis: Took this medication for a chest cough before I went to bed. Woke up in the night with severe nausea and felt dizzy. Tried it again a week later and same happened. I know other people who swear by it.

February 23, 2014 8:14 AM

Review by nascar18 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: Mucinex is great and it works well but whatever you do, DO NOT take it on an empty stomach. I did this morning and as the day went by I kept feeling worse and worse. When I finally got the chance to eat something, my stomach was so upset that it just came right back up. Again, its a great medication but eat something before taking it.

November 22, 2013 6:24 PM

Review by Stacie Jung:

For Fibromyalgia: I have been in terrible and increasing pain since last September. I have had hip and spinal X-rays and MRIs and they show slight arthritis and little else. I had an injection of cortisone in my left hip and now the doctor is recommending a shot to my spine. The pain is so bad, that lately I've been reduced to tears. I went from surfing in August to hobbling in September and the doctors treat me like I'm this no activity couch potato who deserves to feel horrible because I'm getting old and I need to lose weight. Sure I do, I've gained 30 pounds in the last year because I can barely walk. Well, I tried Guaifenesin this afternoon because and it made me fall asleep, and when I woke up, THE PAIN WAS GONE!

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2013 5:29 PM

Review by Sickgranny:

For Cough: I had runny nose, blocked ears, headache, sore throat with mucus, Its great! I took one pill and saw relief, so 4 hours later I took the second one. Now I am wide awake. It's almost 4 am. Take it earlier.

June 9, 2013 3:49 AM

Review by Lar999:

For Cough: Works ok, but for serious cough problems get prescription level medicine. Does help bring up phlegm. drink lots of water, will help bring up the mucus faster.

June 7, 2013 3:02 PM

Review by fibro(my)gia on facebook (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Fibromyalgia: I regained my life by following the guaifenesin protocol. You MUST take single ingredient guaifenesin with no added meds in order to be safe!

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 22, 2013 6:47 PM

Review by sutraquio (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cough: Actually I was using Mucinex to control a nagging night time cough. Although I had extreme pain in my ankles and legs EVERY SINGLE DAY, I never dreamed that Mucinex would have any effect as to helping that. I took a dose of the Mucinex FastMax just before I went to bed and WOW, no cough AND no leg pain at all that night, at last I was pain free! I know it had to be the Mucinex because absolutely nothing else had made a difference! I will keep some on hand to use from now on. I hope this helps someone else also. Thank you.

May 3, 2013 7:05 AM

Review by viannep1961 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Fibromyalgia: This is the only medicine that helped take care of the symptoms I had from Fibromyalgia, with no side effects

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2012 4:51 PM

Review by LivingWithFibro:

For Fibromyalgia: I was diagnosed at 20 and put on muscle relaxers and pain killers that did nothing more than immobilize me. I read about the guaifenesin treatment and asked my doctor for a prescription. I started at 1200mg extended release 2x daily. FINALLY I had my life back. When Mucinex took away the generic option, I dropped to 600mg 2x daily, and it still does the trick. 12 years later, I still swear by it. I have occasional set backs, but I always bounce back within a week.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2012 10:05 PM

Review by Grateful in Fremont:

For Cough: I was advised by a screening nurse to take Mucinex for a particularly persistent cough with a lot of phelgm. After about a week of taking Mucinex, my cough was slightly better, but I noticed that my endometriosis had subsided! I have been suffering from endometriosis for the past 20 years...tried eveything (Nafarelin, birth control bills, laparoscopic surgery, pregnancy, Lupron depot, ovariohysterectomy) and nothing helped the pain...I felt like my urinary bladder was under constant pressure and the only relief was immediately after urinating, but the pain would immediately return. I saw several urologists and they tried treating me for overactive bladder and interstitial cystitis, but the only definitive diagnosis was endometriosis.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2012 5:11 PM

For Bronchitis: This med works great for congestion associated with a cold. As someone else stated... It does give you some really strange dreams though!

February 26, 2012 10:50 AM

Review by robert-sydney:

For Fibromyalgia: Diagnosed with severe fibromyalgia, mayofascial pain, IBS. Went through nerve studies etc and muscle biopsy. Finally told I had severe fibromyalgia. The problem was that it was progressing every month. I became suicidal due to pain levels, couldn't walk 10 meters. It saves lives. I might not have the fibromyalgia type you have but this medicine saved my life and if you think spending $30 to try it is a waste then it means you did not suffer enough. I lost it all, wife, home, job but a simple flu tablet got me back everything and it even took my eczema, IBS I had for years. God bless those who came up with that theory. Theory might be wrong but it does the job.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2012 7:03 AM

For Fibromyalgia: It works. I have not had 100% relief but this is the first 4 consecutive days I have been able to go without some type of pain medicine. Neurontin worked for me as well but it made me sleepy and irritable. I'm taking a good vitamin as well but I attribute this profound relief to Mucinex- 600mg daily.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2012 5:50 AM