User Reviews for Mucinex

Learn more about Mucinex.

Fibromyalgia 25 reviews 72 medications

Bronchiectasis 0 reviews 139 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Mucinex reviews 48 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Mucinex

Review by Ninasell198: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I also take Mucinex and have since 2003. As I have read the reviews I have not read any mention of having to remove salicylates from all topical products. Been on Guiafenesin for 10 years and has helped me greatly.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 20, 2014 11:05 PM
Review by Fibromel: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I had a terrible experience with Mucinex. I followed the protocol for just over 1 month hoping to feel some relief but I felt really heavy, like I had a bad flu, and had worse pain. I think most people are experiencing relief so give it a shot; it just didn't help me.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 20, 2014 2:16 PM
Review by SaraJF (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: I took Mucinex for a bad case of bronchitis. It worked very well and I was finally able to stop coughing and start breathing again. The only problem was that it interfered with my sleep. I was awake most of the night and was not tired the next day. I had to quit taking it.

March 4, 2014 6:07 AM
Review by melroseave: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: Took this medication for a chest cough before I went to bed. Woke up in the night with severe nausea and felt dizzy. Tried it again a week later and same happened. I know other people who swear by it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 23, 2014 8:14 AM
Review by nascar18 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: Mucinex is great and it works well but whatever you do, DO NOT take it on an empty stomach. I did this morning and as the day went by I kept feeling worse and worse. When I finally got the chance to eat something, my stomach was so upset that it just came right back up. Again, its a great medication but eat something before taking it.

November 22, 2013 6:24 PM
Review by Stacie Jung: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I have been in terrible and increasing pain since last September. I have had hip and spinal X-rays and MRIs and they show slight arthritis and little else. I had an injection of cortisone in my left hip and now the doctor is recommending a shot to my spine. The pain is so bad, that lately I've been reduced to tears. I went from surfing in August to hobbling in September and the doctors treat me like I'm this no activity couch potato who deserves to feel horrible because I'm getting old and I need to lose weight. Sure I do, I've gained 30 pounds in the last year because I can barely walk. Well, I tried Guaifenesin this afternoon because and it made me fall asleep, and when I woke up, THE PAIN WAS GONE!

June 20, 2013 5:29 PM
Review by Sickgranny: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: I had runny nose, blocked ears, headache, sore throat with mucus, Its great! I took one pill and saw relief, so 4 hours later I took the second one. Now I am wide awake. It's almost 4 am. Take it earlier.

June 9, 2013 3:49 AM
Review by Lar999: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: Works ok, but for serious cough problems get prescription level medicine. Does help bring up phlegm. drink lots of water, will help bring up the mucus faster.

June 7, 2013 3:02 PM
Review by fibro(my)gia on facebook (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I regained my life by following the guaifenesin protocol. You MUST take single ingredient guaifenesin with no added meds in order to be safe!

May 22, 2013 6:47 PM
Review by sutraquio (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: Actually I was using Mucinex to control a nagging night time cough. Although I had extreme pain in my ankles and legs EVERY SINGLE DAY, I never dreamed that Mucinex would have any effect as to helping that. I took a dose of the Mucinex FastMax just before I went to bed and WOW, no cough AND no leg pain at all that night, at last I was pain free! I know it had to be the Mucinex because absolutely nothing else had made a difference! I will keep some on hand to use from now on. I hope this helps someone else also. Thank you.

May 3, 2013 7:05 AM
Review by viannep1961 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: This is the only medicine that helped take care of the symptoms I had from Fibromyalgia, with no side effects

August 13, 2012 4:51 PM
Review by LivingWithFibro: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I was diagnosed at 20 and put on muscle relaxers and pain killers that did nothing more than immobilize me. I read about the guaifenesin treatment and asked my doctor for a prescription. I started at 1200mg extended release 2x daily. FINALLY I had my life back. When Mucinex took away the generic option, I dropped to 600mg 2x daily, and it still does the trick. 12 years later, I still swear by it. I have occasional set backs, but I always bounce back within a week.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 18, 2012 10:05 PM
Review by Grateful in Fremont: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: I was advised by a screening nurse to take Mucinex for a particularly persistent cough with a lot of phelgm. After about a week of taking Mucinex, my cough was slightly better, but I noticed that my endometriosis had subsided! I have been suffering from endometriosis for the past 20 years...tried eveything (Nafarelin, birth control bills, laparoscopic surgery, pregnancy, Lupron depot, ovariohysterectomy) and nothing helped the pain...I felt like my urinary bladder was under constant pressure and the only relief was immediately after urinating, but the pain would immediately return. I saw several urologists and they tried treating me for overactive bladder and interstitial cystitis, but the only definitive diagnosis was endometriosis.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 4, 2012 5:11 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: This med works great for congestion associated with a cold. As someone else stated... It does give you some really strange dreams though!

February 26, 2012 10:50 AM
Review by robert-sydney: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: Diagnosed with severe fibromyalgia, mayofascial pain, IBS. Went through nerve studies etc and muscle biopsy. Finally told I had severe fibromyalgia. The problem was that it was progressing every month. I became suicidal due to pain levels, couldn't walk 10 meters. It saves lives. I might not have the fibromyalgia type you have but this medicine saved my life and if you think spending $30 to try it is a waste then it means you did not suffer enough. I lost it all, wife, home, job but a simple flu tablet got me back everything and it even took my eczema, IBS I had for years. God bless those who came up with that theory. Theory might be wrong but it does the job.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 24, 2012 7:03 AM

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: It works. I have not had 100% relief but this is the first 4 consecutive days I have been able to go without some type of pain medicine. Neurontin worked for me as well but it made me sleepy and irritable. I'm taking a good vitamin as well but I attribute this profound relief to Mucinex- 600mg daily.

February 15, 2012 5:50 AM
Review by wildbreeze: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I posted almost 2 months ago. I've been taking Mucinex since then for the fibromyalgia pain (I am not a creature of habit and have a hard time remembering to take any medication but I don't miss it!) I can sincerely say that it continues to work - progressively better - and I find it hard to believe it myself! Pain in my right shoulder that I've had for over 15 years has quietly disappeared. I no longer sleep with a pillow between my knees, and I have so much less pain bending over, etc. I also don't have to clear my throat constantly in the morning like I did so it works great on mucus too. I really didn't expect the results to continue. If you have pain like me, give it a try. No bad effects. I hope it works for you.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 20, 2011 10:02 PM
Review by aarsprn: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: After suffering unbearably for 15 years from Fibromyalgia (including 6 years on disability for it). My neurologist suggested I read everything by Dr. D'Amato and try Mucinex. We tried 600 mg twice a day for 6 weeks, no response, upped the dose to 800 mg twice a day for 4 weeks, a little better, then 1200 mg twice a day and it was a miracle. I slowly regained a life again. Throughout this time I also exercised about 1/2 hour a day, which also helps.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 29, 2011 1:19 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: About and hour and a half after taking one Mucinex DM I developed severe dizziness, drowsiness, bad intestinal cramps, vomiting and diarrhea that recurred over a period of 2 hours. It was the only medication in my system.

November 7, 2011 9:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: My doctor recommend this for me when I had bronchitis. It worked wonders. Now every time I feel that wet cough coming back, I pull this out.

November 6, 2011 10:16 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: I took one tablet 12 hours ago and have been feeling very sick ever since. My nose is running, coughing and feeling terrible as if I had a bad cold. Not taking any more!

October 31, 2011 4:55 PM
Review by Wildbreeze: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I have had severe hip, lower back and leg pain lately, and have had so much pain walking, sleeping and could hardly bend. I made an appointment with my doctor and though I have fibromyalgia, I thought I was really headed for trouble. Then wham - I was hit with a bad cold. I took my hubbie's Mucinex and thought - am I imagining things or did my pain magically subside? I don't know why, but boy what a difference it made! After a second dose, I looked it up and found this post. Going to the doc's tomorrow and will tell him.

October 24, 2011 11:55 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: My neurologist has tried me on several medicines, but I work in the OR that the Cymbalta and Lexapro do make the pain manageable but I think all the side effects are with me. Mentally I felt like I was floating. I have done the amitriptyline, Neurontin, Buspar, Ultram, Flexeril. But when I read Mucinex I thought you are kidding me. The next morning I went and got some Maximum Strength 12 hr relief and also tried the liquid but I prefer the tablets. Try it I promise it works. Sounds crazy but it does.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 9, 2011 11:30 PM
Review by Bob1927: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: Very effective for the sinus congestion and sinus drip. However, continuous use resulted in leg cramps at night. Interfered with sleep. Research says that it can reduce blood flow to legs.

September 21, 2011 4:25 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Fibromyalgia: I have been using Mucinex for 6-9 months for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Cough (20 years). Started with 600mg twice a day for about a month, then I switched to 1200mg twice a day for about 2 months. 1200 was way TOO Much, it made my joints burn with pain and my left leg swelled up. I switched back to 600mg twice a day - still had the pain and swelling - then dropped the dose to 600mg once a day - the swelling went down and the pain was much less. I got very tired -hard to work. All this time the Mucinex worked to control the Fibro and helped me to function and think clearly. I will try an even lower dose of Mucinex. Can't get it over the counter. I've been off the medicine for 2 days with lots of rest. In a few days I'll be back on with a lower dose.

July 29, 2011 10:33 AM